unique hobby..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anon2014_2014

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Say for example I am obtaining a private pilots license, doing it solely for reasoning that I love flying planes. Does this make me sound spoiled? Privileged? I bust my a** for my money, and flying is the one thing I spend my extra money on.
I look at it this way... some kids spend their money on booze, drugs, video games, dates.... I spend mine flying airplanes.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Say for example I am obtaining a private pilots license, doing it solely for reasoning that I love flying planes. Does this make me sound spoiled? Privileged? I bust my a** for my money, and flying is the one thing I spend my extra money on.
I look at it this way... some kids spend their money on booze, drugs, video games, dates.... I spend mine flying airplanes.

Im going to be blunt. No it doesn't it's actually pretty cool and sounds like fun ,but why do you care what other people think if you enjoy flying. if you are at an age to get a pilot's license then you are old enough to understand as an adult that opinions especially negative and unwanted ones have no place in your life. just do you :)

Im going to be blunt. No it doesn't it's actually pretty cool and sounds like fun ,but why do you care what other people think if you enjoy flying. if you are at an age to get a pilot's license then you are old enough to understand as an adult that opinions especially negative and unwanted ones have no place in your life. just do you :)
words can't even begin to describe flying:love:

Members don't see this ad :)
On the contrary, I'd think that would be really cool, and I'd probably ask a bunch of aviation-related questions...like, if could have one WWII aircraft to own, what would it be, and why?"

Reactions: 2 users
VERY cool activity, actually one of those that will make people curious. You'd be foolish not to include it.

And yes you're spending money, but you're doing it to acquire a cool skill and further education.

Reactions: 1 user
I am so relieved to be getting positive feedback from this!
@Goro if I had to choose it would be a Boeing P 12. Similar to what I am currently learning to fly! (Which is a Cessna skyhawk) Of course I would love to work my way up to a multi-engine certification and fly a Boeing B-29 Superfortress.... that is an amazing plane (not as far as what it carried, but the design and technology advancement of the aircraft).

Reactions: 1 users
I'd go for a DC3 myself.

@Goro if I had to choose it would be a Boeing P 12. Similar to what I am currently learning to fly! (Which is a Cessna skyhawk) Of course I would love to work my way up to a multi-engine certification and fly a Boeing B-29 Superfortress.... that is an amazing plane (not as far as what it carried, but the design and technology advancement of the aircraft).

I agree that you should list it. It's a hobby seen rarely in this forum. The only slight hesitation you might need to anticipate would be questions that probe into you really want to become a doctor. "Why not become a FT pilot?"

I agree that you should list it. It's a hobby seen rarely in this forum. The only slight hesitation you might need to anticipate would be questions that probe into you really want to become a doctor. "Why not become a FT pilot?"
@ThisCouldBeYou , thanks for your reply! That would be my only hesitation of putting it on my application. I think my other ECs have shown my dedication to medicine, and this is just a hobby (one of the few that I have time for) that I truly enjoy. I would not become a FT pilot because I would not be able to become a physician. If I go to medical school however, I will still be able to fly as a hobby :) After reading it, it sounds like a generic reason, but I guess I will formulate a better one over time!

Flying is a lot like medicine...some things are automated, but when things go wrong, your skill and knowledge matter 100%. You could definitely say this.

There's a hobby section of Amcas activities and this is a hobby so to answer your question, yes. And it's not a "privileged" thing...stop watching msnbc...most people in this country can save up a few thousand dollars for this kind of hobby at some point in their lives if they wanted to.

@ThisCouldBeYou , thanks for your reply! That would be my only hesitation of putting it on my application. I think my other ECs have shown my dedication to medicine, and this is just a hobby (one of the few that I have time for) that I truly enjoy. I would not become a FT pilot because I would not be able to become a physician. If I go to medical school however, I will still be able to fly as a hobby :) After reading it, it sounds like a generic reason, but I guess I will formulate a better one over time!
I still think there's a value. I sense that schools are happy to see applicants have other aspects in their lives besides all medicine all the time. Some people run marathons, some play guitar. It's healthier and makes you multi-dimensional.

Flying is a lot like medicine...some things are automated, but when things go wrong, your skill and knowledge matter 100%. You could definitely say this.

There's a hobby section of Amcas activities and this is a hobby so to answer your question, yes. And it's not a "privileged" thing...stop watching msnbc...most people in this country can save up a few thousand dollars for this kind of hobby at some point in their lives if they wanted to.

I would not phrase it like that...

Perhaps something along the lines of:
-Thinking on your feet
-Keeping calm in critical situations
-Knowing how to use your training in unfamiliar situations.

etc...

I would NOT say that it's like medicine. You're not a doctor. You have no idea what it's like to be a resident making a decision for the first time on their own or to be an attending managing a critical patient. That is a leap too far, imho.

You may only put it down if I am allowed to live vicariously through you because I'm officially jealous.

I can't get a pilot's license. :(

I would not phrase it like that...

Perhaps something along the lines of:
-Thinking on your feet
-Keeping calm in critical situations
-Knowing how to use your training in unfamiliar situations.

etc...

I would NOT say that it's like medicine. You're not a doctor. You have no idea what it's like to be a resident making a decision for the first time on their own or to be an attending managing a critical patient. That is a leap too far, imho.
Could using my experiences flying in my PS?
Or would I be better off using my health care job be a better use of the space?

^One of the best personal statement I've read tied traditional Indian dancing in the intro and conclusion. She related her dancing hobby to medicine and did a great job at it.

If you can tie it into medicine, it's a win.

I would have written mine about cycling but I haven't raced or ridden seriously in years due to injuries, so it felt a bit disingenuous. I had a great essay in the works for that, but it's hard to feel like you're not lying if the last time you raced was 5 years ago...

I'd have said P51 myself but good choices.

As long as it doesn't feel forced. Remember the PS is "Why medicine", so the bulk should be focused on clinical/science experiences/activities. If you find that you're having a hard time fitting that in there, then leave it. If it can smoothly glide (pun) through your PS, then put it in.

Get your instrument rating and then we will talk. :)

Remind me again how the P-12 and 172 are similar other than the common denominator that they both fly?

Awesome hobby! You should definitely included. Good luck