United Kingdom c/o 2018 Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Totally understandable. Anything in particular worrying you?
I went to Cal Poly Pomona, near LA. Transitioning to another country was a challenge I had been looking forward to for years. It's been well worth any struggle I dealt with. TBH, any move can be difficult. Moving from California was bound to land me in less favourable weather no matter what. ;) The main differences when moving to Scotland are that you need extra documents (i.e. visa, passport), the distance (i.e. time difference from family, have to buy many new things instead of moving them), and an open perspective on new ways of doing things.

The last one is the hard part. Professors in the UK have a different way of teaching, grading, and examining students. I still struggle with this at times, but I realised learning to be more adaptable will only help me in the long run. Edinburgh has a world renowned reputation for a reason.
Also, attitudes, personalities, backgrounds, etc. can be so different in another country. I found this to be extremely enjoyable. I love meeting new people and Edinburgh is the friendliest international hub. My best friend in the UK is from Spain and is not a vet student; she is teaching me Spanish and I am teaching her English. :) I played pick up games of football (soccer!) with people from South Africa, Spain, Colombia, Mexico, Germany, Russia, Ireland, etc. and felt so welcomed. This diversity of friendly people is unparalleled. In comparison, when I visited London, I felt that it had the diversity but none of the warmth that Edinburgh has. Basically, I think Edinburgh is wonderful and well worth the struggle. :love:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Another California person! :) I was born and raised in San Diego but I went to undergrad in Virginia. It's definitely hard to beat California weather!

I definitely have serious wanderlust, so I think that living in a different country would be incredible! I definitely think that getting to meet so many new people would also be a great experience. I'm glad to hear that you didn't have too many problems with the move over! I'm used to being away from all of my family but it's still weird to think that I'll be in an entirely different country!

Hi everyone! I hate to bug you all, but do any of you care to share what your stats were and if you were invited/rejected/etc?
I applied to 4 US schools this year, and have gotten 2 rejections so far....I have a very well rounded app (LOTS of anm exp hrs, enough vet hrs, LOTS of research) but my GPA is hovering around a 3.4 so I feel I didn't get looked at many of the US schools...but I hear the UK is a little more well rounded, and the idea of being in the UK is invigoration (I wish I had applied this cycle, but must admit, I was a little afraid to!)...I just want to see if I would actually stand a chance at any of them.....

Also, does anyone know if there are any Jan start dates? I'm trying to look it up, because I thought I remembered hearing there were, but I've not found anything about it....thanks guys!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have not heard of any January start dates for the UK schools. I think that is mostly the Caribbean schools as I don't know of any other school that has January start dates. Also, look at the past accepted student stats for more information on what people's stats were that were accepted.

I can give you what I recall of mine: 3.49 cumulative GPA, slightly less for science and slightly more than that for last 45. I can't recall my GRE, I took it three times as the verbal section and I had a bit of a mutual hatred of each other. I think my best was 710 Quant, and 450 (?) verbal, can't remember exact, it is in the accepted stats for class of 2016. I also had 7,000 hours of vet experience (cat/dog) and another 500-1,000 hours of animal experience (mix of zoo, cat/dog, and horses), as well as some awards/EC's/etc.

I also applied to vet school three years in a row, the first two to only US schools and was waitlisted every year, the last year to US schools and Edinburgh; again waitlisted at US schools but accepted to Edinburgh GEP program.

I recommend really looking into the UK programs, don't apply to them as an "I can't get in to the US, so just going to try this." Make sure the curriculum is something that you can handle. It is not the same as the US schools and the grading system is much different.... don't expect to ever see an "A" in the UK, even a "B" is considered very lucky. Also, unlike the US schools you are required to get EMS experience during your breaks. Your breaks are filled with having to work, first year or two is husbandry experience and the last 3 years are clinical experience, if you ever want more than one 2 week break a year, UK schools are not going to allow for that opportunity. Also, I get being in a different country sounds invigorating, but be sure it really is something you can handle; it isn't visiting, you are living there and the invigorating sensation wears off once it becomes your normal every day life. Also, cultural differences aren't a lot, but they do exist, be aware of that (the one thing that bothered me most and still bothers me is that in the UK everything is done with a half-lifted hand and it takes them forever to get to fixing anything, compared to the US where things tend to actually get taken care of rather quickly). Another thing, is most places in the UK close at around 5PM, you get out of school at 5PM, this makes getting errands down for normal life things very difficult (bank accounts, calling letting agency, viewing and finding places to live, getting things fixed in a flat, doctor appointments, etc). Communicating with family/friends back in the US isn't difficult, but it also isn't as straight forward or as easy as you would hope, be prepared for that, as well as the time differences.

The UK schools are great, and they give you an awesome education, but there are things that you don't think about prior to applying to/moving to a different country that I wish I had known about or been told about. Really be sure that it is something you want to do and something you can handle. Can you handle being far from family/friends? Can you handle adjusting to a new country? Can you handle suddenly not having a car and having to rely on your feet/buses to get anywhere? Can you handle being able to only talk to family when you and they have internet service? Can you afford it... passports/visas/moving overseas? Are you ready to set up a foreign bank account/navigate how things work in a different country? Can you do all of this while attending a vigorous and challenging school schedule and studying?

I understand the frustration of the not getting accepted in the US and how that feels. But, I don't recommend applying to schools in a different country until you have taken everything into consideration and you have decided if you can do those things and handle those small issues that many don't think about. I didn't even think about a lot of the above stuff, because I simply did not know. I am now used to living in the UK, overall it isn't THAT different (it is but it also isn't), people are friendly, some people aren't friendly, but you get that everywhere. I do miss family and home and some of the good ol' comforts that you can only find in the US. It is all up to you but really do take everything into consideration before you decide to apply to and possibly move to a different country for a difficult program.

I should have explained myself better, I'm not considering applying because I've not gotten in this cycle to the US schools, but the rejection letters have really gotten me thinking. Thinking about what I'm really doing with my life, ya know, all that jazz!! Then my best friend and I (who's applying to Law school ATM) were discussing it, and discussing how we've always been interested in moving overseas (my back up plan is teaching.......and I have been giving serious thought to teaching at international schools) this has just kind of been a "push" to do it....if I don't do it now while I'm young, I never will!!

Thanks for the advice! *off to look at successful apps page*

I was accepted and was attending the University of Glasgow but decided to withdraw from the program. I am more than willing to share my personal experience of the school as well as connect you with others that are still currently enrolled. (Just PM me) I advise anyone who is interested in their program to go over there and sit in classes and see how it is. They completely changed the curriculum and I can tell you it is not for everyone.

So, I just checked on my application status for Dublin and it says Status: Conditional Offer. WHAT DOES THAT MEAN!?!? I didn't receive any emails and there is no information on the application page. Am I in!?!? I'm like jogging around my apartment like a loon.

If it's the same as the UK, it means you're accepted so long as you meet certain conditions (i.e. "B" or better in specific classes, completing your degree, etc). The Dublin students should be able to confirm or deny this! I would contact the school and ask what the conditions are. Regardless, sounds like you should be celebrating! :)

So, I just checked on my application status for Dublin and it says Status: Conditional Offer. WHAT DOES THAT MEAN!?!? I didn't receive any emails and there is no information on the application page. Am I in!?!? I'm like jogging around my apartment like a loon.

Congrats!! I'm guessing it probably means you're in as well, though yeah, another UCD student should be able to confirm. And you'll probably be getting an email soon as well :)

By the way - where is the portal that you were checking? Is that just where we submitted our supplemental?

Thank you and yes! It was the supplemental application page. I just heard back from them and my condition is only that I finish Biochem and Microbiology. Yay!!!!!!!! And I never received an email letting me know my status had changed so keep checking! I would say don't check compulsively but we all know that's not an option. ;-)

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats!! I'm guessing it probably means you're in as well, though yeah, another UCD student should be able to confirm. And you'll probably be getting an email soon as well :)

By the way - where is the portal that you were checking? Is that just where we submitted our supplemental?
Thank you and yes! It was the supplemental application page. I just heard back from them and my condition is only that I finish Biochem and Microbiology. Yay!!!!!!!! And I never received an email letting me know my status had changed so keep checking! I would say don't check compulsively but we all know that's not an option. ;-)

Yes a conditional offer means that you are in provided you finish your courses you are enrolled in now with satisfactory grades.... that is what that would entail.....

@Cyndia does that mean you are in?

also if you have any specific questions regarding Dublin let me know and I can answer them... I tend not to check this thread as often since it is UK and Dublin is not... FYI....

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know what the timeline is like for Edinburgh? I still haven't heard anything so I'm getting a bit antsy.. I couldn't find anything on last years threads about rejections, so I'm just curious if there's a general time they start sending them out, or if they send out rounds of acceptances until all their spots are accepted?

I think they may just send out all the acceptances in December followed by rejections in early February. Not sure. Can anyone else confirm this?

Thanks! I hate the interminable waiting, so I'd love to just know. I did see two acceptances last year that got sent out on jan 8th/9th so still holding out a little hope.. :)

(/o_o)/ I heard from Edinburgh today and was offered a place! I can't believe it, I didn't get into Glasgow and expected the same for Edinburgh... so exciting! Made my day \o/ Looking forward to the reception in February!

The last one is the hard part. Professors in the UK have a different way of teaching, grading, and examining students. I still struggle with this at times, but I realised learning to be more adaptable will only help me in the long run. Edinburgh has a world renowned reputation for a reason.
Also, attitudes, personalities, backgrounds, etc. can be so different in another country. I found this to be extremely enjoyable. I love meeting new people and Edinburgh is the friendliest international hub. My best friend in the UK is from Spain and is not a vet student; she is teaching me Spanish and I am teaching her English. :) I played pick up games of football (soccer!) with people from South Africa, Spain, Colombia, Mexico, Germany, Russia, Ireland, etc. and felt so welcomed. This diversity of friendly people is unparalleled. In comparison, when I visited London, I felt that it had the diversity but none of the warmth that Edinburgh has. Basically, I think Edinburgh is wonderful and well worth the struggle. :love:

I'm curious what exactly you found different about the teaching/grading/examining styles? More exams and things instead of just a big midterm and final?
Everyone gets a personal faculty advisor at Edinburgh right? How has that been? Easy to get to know the professors in general?
Also curious as to how you (and anyone else at Edinburgh and the other UK schools!) found going into a class with mostly classmates that are ~19? I'll be 27 in the fall, so I'd be a bit older than probably most at US and Canadian schools, but especially there, I'm wondering if that would be a bit of an adjustment socially or not really noticeable.

thanks!

Haha 19....try 17.

But you stop noticing the age gap after the first year or so. I love my UK counterparts and we all hang out on a regular basis. You just have to be open to it and not separate yourself into US vs UK (which can be easy to do).

Haha 19....try 17.

But you stop noticing the age gap after the first year or so. I love my UK counterparts and we all hang out on a regular basis. You just have to be open to it and not separate yourself into US vs UK (which can be easy to do).

Yeah, we still have some of the 19/20/21 year olds that need to grow up. But we also have some 26 year olds that need to as well.

(/o_o)/ I heard from Edinburgh today and was offered a place! I can't believe it, I didn't get into Glasgow and expected the same for Edinburgh... so exciting! Made my day \o/ Looking forward to the reception in February!

I'm curious what exactly you found different about the teaching/grading/examining styles? More exams and things instead of just a big midterm and final?
Everyone gets a personal faculty advisor at Edinburgh right? How has that been? Easy to get to know the professors in general?
Also curious as to how you (and anyone else at Edinburgh and the other UK schools!) found going into a class with mostly classmates that are ~19? I'll be 27 in the fall, so I'd be a bit older than probably most at US and Canadian schools, but especially there, I'm wondering if that would be a bit of an adjustment socially or not really noticeable.

thanks!

I am at Edinburgh, are you talking 4 or 5 year program?

I can answer you more tomorrow.

I think a few of my colleagues might have some maturing left to do. Fingers crossed for second year.

At least with my class, I got involved with Rodeo comm second year and that's when I noticed the switch to becoming friends with them. I know our current 4th year class still doesn't get along very well with each other, but it really depends on the people.

I am at Edinburgh, are you talking 4 or 5 year program?

I can answer you more tomorrow.

I apped to the 5 year - my undergrad degree wasn't as science-focused and I've been taking missing prereqs since returning to school a few years after graduating (did a bit of a career change!) - so my background wasn't too amenable to the 4 year programme unfortunately.

is there a list somewhere of edinburgh veterinary student clubs? Are there clubs like society clubs, surgery clubs, etc sort of thing?

Hi everyone! I've mostly been quiet on here, but I guess it's time to stop being shy. First of all, congrats to the accepted folks! I haven't heard from any of them yet. I'm starting to get that uncomfortable rejection knot in my stomach now... Just wanted to ask if any of you in a similar situation has emailed either RVC or Edinburgh yet about your status? And if yes, what did they tell you? I'm going to do it tomorrow if I don't hear anything... Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Irina

Last edited:
for RVC, i've been calling them about once every two months. my most recent call last week appeared to indicate that they will be telling us if we get an interview by this friday, January 10th!
I am not sure if they will push this date back however..
take a deep breath! many of us are in the same situation :)

Hi Irina!

I'm in a similar situation as well (no word from edinburgh or the RVC). It's certainly nerve wracking seeing acceptances being sent out without getting any word, but don't worry too much just yet! I haven't been emailing with Edinburgh yet, but I did email the RVC back just before Christmas asking for any updates. At the time they said they were hoping to get decisions out by Christmas break, which didn't happen since I'm guessing they were swamped with the EU interviews. Like ducktoller said, now the RVC is hopefully sending invites out by Friday, and if we don't hear back by then, I plan to call them on Monday. Not sure what the Edinburgh timeline is, but if derwent just heard back (congrats by the way!!!!), hopefully more acceptances are still being sent out :) anyways I plan to just keep busy and keep my fingers crossed, here's hoping we all get the acceptances we want!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Thanks, ducktroller and Cyndia! Keeping my fingers (and toes) crossed for all of us! I'll give it 'till the end of the week before I contact them. xx

I apped to the 5 year - my undergrad degree wasn't as science-focused and I've been taking missing prereqs since returning to school a few years after graduating (did a bit of a career change!) - so my background wasn't too amenable to the 4 year programme unfortunately.

is there a list somewhere of edinburgh veterinary student clubs? Are there clubs like society clubs, surgery clubs, etc sort of thing?

With the 5 year program you will be around the 17/18 year olds since that will make up the bulk of the class, but I do find that they are actually really good about doing their work and they aren't quite as type A or gunnerish as some of the post-grads I have come across. Also, I find that the majority of UK 18 year olds are more mature than US 18 year olds, but there are still a few immature ones. You get used to it and honestly the age difference does become a non-issue after a while. I was in the GEP program, so I am in the third year now at Edinburgh. As far as veterinary student clubs here, there are not many. It was one of the things I was a bit disappointed about. The US vet schools far trump Edinburgh when it comes to veterinary specific clubs... Edinburgh does have some, but I can tell you that it about 7 or 8, at most. There is no surgery club here. There is a pony trekking club, an anatomy club, a vet zoo club, a rugby team/club, and an international students club that are vet specific. These are just the ones I can remember off the top of my head. There are however, 100's of university-wide clubs (not vet specific) that you can also join. So if you are looking for a ton of vet clubs to join, I am afraid Edinburgh is limited in that. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask, or you can send me a private message. Edinburgh is a great school, you will learn a lot and the staff here is, for the most part, absolutely wonderful. :)

thanks!

The teaching/grading/exam styles are very different compared to US schools. The US vet schools tend to have frequent exams/quizzes (just from hearing from people on SDN talking about having exams every week or every other week). At Edinburgh, you get one exam (usually) and maybe a small midterm. For example, last semester we had a midterm worth 13% of the grade, an in course assignment worth 2% of the grade and a final worth 85% of the grade. Also most of our exams are short answer questions or interpretation exams, not multiple choice exams which are common in the US. We do have some multiple choice exams, but they are not the biggest focus. Another big difference is the grading scheme... here a 50% is passing, that is a "C"... a 60% is a "B" and well, don't even think about getting an "A" because they have well warned us that they very, very rarely give out A's. People do not get A's in the UK. Also, the big difference at Edinburgh is that courses are not separated like they are elsewhere. So most schools (maybe all schools) have an exam for each course, so at the end of parasitology, for example, there would be an exam. Well, at Edinburgh they don't do that.... they combine courses so parasitology, immunology, virology, bacteriology, and inflammation were all combined together and there was one exam for all of them. Or like this past semester where pharmacology, diagnostic imaging, surgery, oncology and anaesthesia were all combined into one "class" and then there was one large exam covering all of that.

Yes, everyone does get a personal faculty advisor so that is nice. They are also very helpful with any thing you need. The professors, for the most part, seem very approachable, there are some exceptions but you get that at every school.

Hope this helps answer some of these questions.

Last edited:
Hi,
I've been absent from the boards for a while (but yeah - 7 year member now!). I'm currently a 4th year in Edinburgh and I am happy to answer any questions.

For those waiting to hear about acceptances I got my acceptance Feb 1 2010 and started Sept 16th 2010 (I was a late applicant).

As DVMDream says the teaching / exams is VERY different here. You have to completely forget about those grades you are use to (80s+) as they are probably not going to happen anymore. There is one exam per "course" and there may or may not be an in course component. Exams use to include essay questions and no MCQ but now they have gotten rid of essays, added MCQs and we still have short answer. To give an example. I have an exam tomorrow :eek:. Here's the course breakdown
In course assessment:
20q MCQ (3% of overall mark)
Create 2 MCQ and answer 2 on peerwise (2%) - great tool for studying too

Written exam:
Short answer, 8q (70%)
40q MCQ (25%)

(Plus to OSPRE's - Farm animal and exotics clinical exam in March)

thanks!

Teaching:
Some teachers are superb. They're upbeat, creative, and endeavour to keep you fascinated. Others are very old school (i.e. handwritten notes on a white board), haphazard (some teachers still don't know how to use their mics...), disorganised, and unfriendly. Most teachers use powerpoints with varying levels of success. There are much more dissecting and anatomy labs for 5 year students than for GEPs. Our large animal clinical practicals were great. The teachers for those classes make it fun even if it's freezing cold. Our anatomy labs were much more interesting later in the year as they became more clinically relevant.
I was disappointed by how some teachers are more concerned with being addressed by their proper title than learning your name. I'm used to having good relationships with University professors where I can get to know them better. This may be a cultural difference? I think it's very much like any school, you'll have some good ones and some bad ones. You can get to know some teachers if you make the extra effort.
Exams/Grades:
Like DVMDream said, the exams are horrific and the grading is frustrating at best. They have a big standardisation issue when it comes to grading. I have been given half marks with answers that match or exceed the answer key on short answer questions. My advisor read over my answers and told me I had earned the points but that there was nothing to be done. I went to the teacher/administrator that had marked me wrong, and he responded with an awkward, "Oops. well, too late to change it now!" You will often have the same answer as a friend but completely different scores.

Administration egos are incredible (probably the same at most grad schools though) and getting them to alter grading mistake is impossible, even when it means the difference of a pass or fail. I am not used to having one exam determining the outcome of 6 months hard work. When asked how to prepare for exams, the response is to basically "know everything." Questions are often based on extremely particular details (you know... the blurb in small print with an asterisk and no mention by the teacher) rather than big concepts the teacher spent forever discussing. I just study as best I can and hope for the best... I used to be a straight A student. :uhno:

Other students:
I enjoyed the company of students in the 5 year program much more than many of the GEP students in my class. The UK students aren't actually competitive with each other. They are much more relaxed, supportive, and generally happier in my experience. They want to do well enough and aren't concerned with getting the best grades (though many of them do with far less effort). The US students (mostly in the GEP) are often competitive in a negative way. They're hell-bent on getting perfect grades (not going to happen!), and chronically stressed from trying to make this impossibility happen (2 parts culture: 1 part higher academic pace). DVMDream can attest to the fact that we have few gunners and a couple bully's in our GEP class. The GEP class ahead of us doesn't seem to have these issues though, lucky ducks! Honestly, the 5 year people are a breath of fresh air and I was thrilled when we joined classes.

Advisors aka Personal Tutors:
In my case, he's a godsend. I have Adrian Philbey and he has been so sweet and supportive. He offered for me to go on lunch break walks when I was having a rough time. He also offered to pet sit my kittens when I went lambing/farrowing for 3 weeks (not a typical offer I'm sure). I have heard that other students have not been as lucky with their tutors. It's hit or miss I guess. No matter what, I like the idea that I have someone in my corner no matter what. Your tutor is there to guide you and represent your interests at the school.

Random Bits:
The school is really new and a really beautiful place. You get 33% discount at the vet school hospital and possibly a bigger discount on hills pet food (I can't remember the exact discount). There are a lot of sports teams that be a great way to get out and make friends. The vet sports teams compete at dick day and AVS too I think. Dick Day is a big competition between Glasgow and Dick Vet. Such a fun and friendly event! I like studying at the main uni library which is in town; it's nice to get away from the vet school on occasion.

The City: Edinburgh is wonderful. I love the city and the people I meet on a day to day basis. Making non-vet friends in Edinburgh is shockingly easy as it's a bustling international hub. The meadows for example, are filled with people from all corners of the world; the majority of which are open to new friendships and experiences. I randomly met my best friend in the UK 2 days after she moved to Edinburgh from Spain. I've taught her English and she taught me Spanish. Who moves to Scotland and learns Spanish?! I've made friends from South Africa, Ireland, England, Colombia, Germany, Mexico, Italy, France, etc. The things you'll learn and do in Scotland are simply amazing. Oh, and did I mention that the country is absolutely breathtaking?! :biglove:
Hope this helps!

Reactions: 2 users
Ah dang, just got an email from Edinburgh a half hour ago saying I was rejected. Ah well, still have my Glasgow interview next week so keeping my fingers crossed. Good luck to the rest of you waiting to hear from Edinburgh!

Ah dang, just got an email from Edinburgh a half hour ago saying I was rejected. Ah well, still have my Glasgow interview next week so keeping my fingers crossed. Good luck to the rest of you waiting to hear from Edinburgh!

Sorry to hear that Cyndia; I received the same email this morning. It's a bummer for sure...

But good luck on your interview next week!

Sorry to hear that Cyndia; I received the same email this morning. It's a bummer for sure...

But good luck on your interview next week!

Aww, sorry to hear you got one as well :( Thanks for the well wishes! And also on the plus side, we've still got the RVC to hear from - I saw someone post up an RVC rejection that got sent out yesterday, so hoping if we haven't heard yet, it's because we're getting an interview invite tomorrow :xf::luck:

Aww, sorry to hear you got one as well :( Thanks for the well wishes! And also on the plus side, we've still got the RVC to hear from - I saw someone post up an RVC rejection that got sent out yesterday, so hoping if we haven't heard yet, it's because we're getting an interview invite tomorrow :xf::luck:

good luck Cyndia!! banking on you getting into RVC :):)

Wellll I also got my rejection from RVC today on top of the Edinburgh one. Hope you get better news from them, Cyndia! Agh this process is becoming too emotionally consuming; they could've waited a day to tell me I'm rejected! haha

Hello everyone!
I'm so glad I found this thread!!
I've been accepted to the 4 year programs at Edinburgh and at RVC, I'm looking forward to the RVC reception in NYC this coming Friday! Will anyone else be there?!

Just finished up my Glasgow interview! They were insanely nice and friendly, can't believe I was stressing out so much. Really enjoyed it though and touring the facilities was great :) Good luck to the rest of you interviewing at the end of the month! Like I said, don't worry too much about it, they do just want to get to know you and ask you a lot about stuff you've mentioned in your application, as well as a few of the cliche normal questions about 'why glasgow' and 'won't your family miss you?'.

Reactions: 2 users
I was wondering if anyone in the UK could maybe comment on getting a job after graduation? I have searched past forums and have not seen too much information on this. Do most American students get jobs back in the states, or is it possible to get a job in Europe? I read on some old threads that not having a high GPA (due to getting an A or B being almost impossible) and graduating later in the summer makes internships difficult, but are there other drawbacks as well? Many of the vets I have talked to around me do not know much about these schools and I just worry that could make it harder when applying for jobs...

Thanks for your help!

I was wondering if anyone in the UK could maybe comment on getting a job after graduation? I have searched past forums and have not seen too much information on this. Do most American students get jobs back in the states, or is it possible to get a job in Europe? I read on some old threads that not having a high GPA (due to getting an A or B being almost impossible) and graduating later in the summer makes internships difficult, but are there other drawbacks as well? Many of the vets I have talked to around me do not know much about these schools and I just worry that could make it harder when applying for jobs...

Thanks for your help!

It is on previous threads. But yes...Americans can get jobs back in the states. We are also licensed in all of Europe and the commonwealth, so you can go pretty much everywhere. GPA doesn't mean much unless you want to do an internship. Also...getting As and Bs is not impossible, and your grades will have to be translated into North American terms anyways, so that gives a little bit of grade inflation. As for graduating later....you just have to suck it up and not go to graduation, or beg and plead to have a later start date.

Have a few questions for the edinburgh lot (/o-o)/
Are any of you going to the NYC reception in February?
Also, did anyone else get the email invite to the facebook page for those with offers? I got one for the 5 year programme but when I tried to join, it wouldn't let me sign up with my normal email. I assume we need an edinburgh email, which I guess the UCAS students might have had set up through their application portal... anyone tried doing that? I suppose I should probably just reply to the email and ask.
Question for current or previous apps about offer conditions... I exceeded the grade conditions for my courses they requested it on, but one course I had listed for the fall on my application was cancelled so I wasn't able to take it at all - I emailed to update them about it but haven't heard back, I'm worried that'll mess up my offer! Has anyone had experience with that sort of situation? My dad said he didn't think it should be a problem, especially as I was offered the 5 yr programme and it wasn't a prereq course, but I'm still a little worried.

Sorry to those who got bad news from RVC and Edi :< I finally heard back from RVC and had a rejection as well, fortunately I preferred Edi so that buffered it a fair bit at least

Derwent, I had the same problem! It worked on my phone (oddly enough) but not on my actual computer. Did you get a call from Edinburgh the other day asking if you had any questions? I thought that was very nice of them :)

Hugs to everyone! <3

Derwent, I had the same problem! It worked on my phone (oddly enough) but not on my actual computer. Did you get a call from Edinburgh the other day asking if you had any questions? I thought that was very nice of them :)

Hugs to everyone! <3

hm really? I tried on my ipad and computer but no luck... My phone has been acting up lately (I think the battery is faulty >.<) so I haven't tried that, but maybe I'll give it a go... You used your normal (non ed.ac.uk) email address?
I did get a call, but unfortunately I missed it and only had the voicemail! It was nice of them though. I'm hoping they'll call again maybe tomorrow if they didn't tonight (my phone was off all tonight) so I can say hi this time.

I actually wasn't able to use any email address on my phone, but I was able to (more or less) see the page! I think that I'll email someone soon and ask about it.

Hey,

For those of you at Edinburgh, do you know if the school has any data about average starting salaries of graduates for US students or what percent get offers?
I got in, but I'm having some major trouble crunching numbers and coming up with a solid plan of how to manage that amount of debt, and I worry it may be more difficult for graduates from the UK to find jobs.

How are you guys planning on paying?

Hey,

For those of you at Edinburgh, do you know if the school has any data about average starting salaries of graduates for US students or what percent get offers?
I got in, but I'm having some major trouble crunching numbers and coming up with a solid plan of how to manage that amount of debt, and I worry it may be more difficult for graduates from the UK to find jobs.

How are you guys planning on paying?

I don't know if they have any "data" on any of that. But starting salaries for posted jobs aren't going to change based on which school you graduate from. You apply for the job just like anyone else, if they hire you and you accept then there you go. They aren't going to say starting salary is "x" for a student from this school but only "y" for a student from this school. Graduating from the UK with the debt is no different than graduating from any vet school as an OOS student... you will end up with close to the same amount of debt (with very few schools being vastly different in cost).

I plan on paying just like anyone else does... loans for school... hope you get a job.. pay off loans. Might need income based repayment. Minimize your expenses as much as possible. You don't go into vet med expecting to come out in luxury. You are going to have to live conservatively for some time... maybe for quite some time. That personally does not bother me, but it may some.

i got a really nice call from a 1st year GEP at edinburgh :), that is very thoughtful of the school to organize that!
it was basically to wish me a congrats, to see if i was going to the reception, and if i had any questions.
if you don't answer on the first call, they will try again once more i think so keep expecting it!

i'm pretty set on going to edinburgh unless i get into my IS school (saskatchewan).
i decided the event wouldn't be a make or break situation so i politely declined :)
Funny thing though, apparently many applicants last year also received rejections from RVC, but acceptances to edinburgh
very very very odd, and im not sure how that works.
Edinburgh is nowhere near a bad school, but I don't see how RVC can 'afford' to accept so little people when the majority of the high GPAS who got acceptances are going to be going elsewhere. (no offense at all to any student, I just figure that very competitive applicants will opt to choose their IS over RVC)
Realistically, I had expected students who were accepted into edinburgh to be accepted into RVC as well..so it'd be interesting to see some statistics of the people who get in/actually decide to go.
Oops sorry for the rant! can't help but still be just a tad bit bitter :whistle:

I don't know if they have any "data" on any of that. But starting salaries for posted jobs aren't going to change based on which school you graduate from. You apply for the job just like anyone else, if they hire you and you accept then there you go. They aren't going to say starting salary is "x" for a student from this school but only "y" for a student from this school. Graduating from the UK with the debt is no different than graduating from any vet school as an OOS student... you will end up with close to the same amount of debt (with very few schools being vastly different in cost).

I plan on paying just like anyone else does... loans for school... hope you get a job.. pay off loans. Might need income based repayment. Minimize your expenses as much as possible. You don't go into vet med expecting to come out in luxury. You are going to have to live conservatively for some time... maybe for quite some time. That personally does not bother me, but it may some.

Ok....so it sounds like you haven't really thought it all through yourself. You know income based repayment, the amount you owe continues to increase and you then have to pay taxes on the amount discharged....which will still be over $100K.

Average starting salaries WILL differ depending on what school you graduate from. Most job postings don't list a flat base salary, they negotiate it. And if they are getting 50 applications for one opening, are they going to think less of someone who didn't go to a US school and toss you out of the pile right there? UK vet school also means you are not eligible for many government programs which state you must attend a school in the US or Puerto Rico.

Based on UC Davis graduate data, lots of vet jobs don't pay medical, dental and vision. So you have to pay for that. If average starting salary is $65,000 (assuming you get a job) this is take-home $38179 in CA. If you pay the full tuition with loans, your monthly payment is $2100. This leaves you with $12,979 to pay for your cost of living. Which in CA is at least $9,600 in rent alone. Now you have $3379 left per year for food, utilities, pet care, gas etc. If you have to pay for your medical and dental, that is $2100 per year ish right there!