Univ. of MD School of Pharmacy c/o 2020 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

y0ssarian87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm starting this thread for all individuals who are or may be interested in applying to the University of Maryland School of Pharmacy. I'm a current student, and I'd be happy to help answer some questions.

Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for opening it up. I guess I have a couple questions.

I'm taking a shot at early decision and have my pharmcas stuff verified, with a couple missing pieces (pcat score, 1 LOR). So here's the question

1. Does the university ever start the interview process before having all the pieces? I ask because I've seen a few folks indicate such things happening for them at whatever school.
2. I attended an open house and heard/read something about there being specific "pathways" open for students' application, both for the course of study
and for your P4 rotations. Can you elaborate on this/share what the pathways are?
3. Is Early decision only for super applicants with ultra scores etc? Been trying manage my expectations (3.6), 90% on PCAT, 7 years of non-pharmacy work as an engineer)
4. Do graduates have a good shot at the many residencies in Baltimore?
5. What's the actual yearly tuition (I've surfed the sites and I get anything from 20 to 26k/yr)
6. Tell me (us) about the education -- what classes are the killers, what's the workload?

I probably have more but I'll stop.

Thanks for opening it up. I guess I have a couple questions.

I'm taking a shot at early decision and have my pharmcas stuff verified, with a couple missing pieces (pcat score, 1 LOR). So here's the question

1. Does the university ever start the interview process before having all the pieces? I ask because I've seen a few folks indicate such things happening for them at whatever school.

I'm actually not sure, but I don't think Maryland looks at incomplete applications. I'm not incredibly familiar with the operations of the Admissions Office, so I can't tell you with any degree of certainty. Give Patrice Sharp or JuliAna Brammer a call, and they'll be more than happy to give you a more accurate answer.

2. I attended an open house and heard/read something about there being specific "pathways" open for students' application, both for the course of study
and for your P4 rotations. Can you elaborate on this/share what the pathways are?

Yes, students have the option to apply to one of three pathways -- research, pharmacotherapy, and geriatrics. A pathway is simply an opportunity to further explore a topic area of interest in a mentor-guided structure. The three pathways have different requirements for admission, though they roughly have a similar timeline. Generally one would apply for a pathway after the fall semester of the P2 year, though depending on the pathway, there may be some differences.

All the pathways have a similar structure. You take elective courses that are geared to that particular pathway, and you engage in research with a faculty member in that area. I am in the research pathway, and I have to take some graduate research methods courses. At the end of the didactic course work, I will also have to do a rotation in research, and I'll be expected to write a thesis. I'm not sure if a thesis is required for the other pathways, though I think it is.

Not sure if I addressed everything you were looking for regarding pathways...

3. Is Early decision only for super applicants with ultra scores etc? Been trying manage my expectations (3.6), 90% on PCAT, 7 years of non-pharmacy work as an engineer)

I don't have any experience with early admissions, but 90th %ile PCAT and 3.6 PharmCAS GPA are very competitive stats for virtually all pharmacy schools across the country. Most applicant have some pharmacy experience, though. Shadowing is a good option for a working professional like yourself. Hospital pharmacies are open 24/7, 7-days-a-week.

Interestingly, I started out in engineering myself (Industrial and Systems), and the student who interviewed me at interview day was also an engineer. Personally, I've found that slightly older individuals who have more diverse backgrounds make good, mature students.

Your stats should be competitive enough to get an interview (at least I think so). Best of luck!

4. Do graduates have a good shot at the many residencies in Baltimore?

I'd say yes. The hospitals around the area don't take preference for students from any particular schools. Most residency programs really look at the applicants pretty holistically. They want to make sure they get the best resident for their program. That being said, University of Maryland does well in placing students into residency programs locally and nationally. If you look at the residency matching stats nationally, you'll find that the average match rate for applicants is 67%. Maryland has a much higher rate at 85%. Many of our residents match locally and in other states like California. Maryland offers extensive student leadership and research opportunities that help students get an edge in the application process. Also, I feel like it's fairly easy to get a job as a student here, and that helps in residency applications too.

5. What's the actual yearly tuition (I've surfed the sites and I get anything from 20 to 26k/yr)

In-state: $21,761
Out-of-state: $38,182

Source: http://www.umaryland.edu/media/umb/af/sa/phar.pdf

6. Tell me (us) about the education -- what classes are the killers, what's the workload?

I probably have more but I'll stop.

I think the education is outstanding. I can't comment of your curriculum specifically though. Last year a new curriculum was established for the P1 students. (I was a P2 student, and we were the last class to have our curriculum.) Many courses are still the same. The heart of the new curriculum is the AST series of courses (when I took these classes they were called PP&T, but it's the same general concept) followed by Pharmacotherapy. The killer classes in my mind were the cardiology component of our PP&T course and Microbiology and Antibiotics (MicAb). Pharmacotherapy is supposed to be rough too. I'll be taking that this year.

The work load is reasonable and challenging. We take many classes in a single semester, and thus we have many exams in a semester. The hardest thing is the constant exams. Oh, and be prepared for lots of group work.

Hope this helps!

Edit: Oh, and Pharmacy Law is supposed to be tough too.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't have any experience with early admissions, but 90th %ile PCAT and 3.6 PharmCAS GPA are very competitive stats for virtually all pharmacy schools across the country. Most applicant have some pharmacy experience, though. Shadowing is a good option for a working professional like yourself. Hospital pharmacies are open 24/7, 7-days-a-week.

Interestingly, I started out in engineering myself (Industrial and Systems), and the student who interviewed me at interview day was also an engineer. Personally, I've found that slightly older individuals who have more diverse backgrounds make good, mature students.

Your stats should be competitive enough to get an interview (at least I think so). Best of luck!

Thanks so much for the thorough response, and for the encouragement. I actually have been calling around for a shadowing chance, mostly the UM system pharmacies. No bites yet (the HR folks seem damn near clueless when I call). I'll continue that hunt, though I am worried that the shadowing won't help my application since I already submitted. Guess I have to hope for an interview and just find a way to slip that in.

Hi! I will be applying for regular admission.

My GPA is 3.74 and 70% PCAT. I also have a NASA internship, undergraduate research and outpatient pharmacy volunteer hours.

Is that PCAT too low, should I replace it?

Do you know if they prefer in-state students?

Hi! I will be applying for regular admission.

My GPA is 3.74 and 70% PCAT. I also have a NASA internship, undergraduate research and outpatient pharmacy volunteer hours.

Is that PCAT too low, should I replace it?

Do you know if they prefer in-state students?

I don't think your PCAT is so low that it requires retaking, but I'm not certain. I don't know what the class average PCAT is usually. Your other stats sound good, and Maryland does a great job of reviewing students holistically. Keep in mind, I'm a student, not an admissions staff person. Take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Maryland definitely doesn't have a residency preference. I'd estimate that 20% of our class is from CA, and many others come from NY, VA, etc. The best part is that the university makes it easy to get in-state tuition after your first year.

I don't think your PCAT is so low that it requires retaking, but I'm not certain. I don't know what the class average PCAT is usually. Your other stats sound good, and Maryland does a great job of reviewing students holistically. Keep in mind, I'm a student, not an admissions staff person. Take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Maryland definitely doesn't have a residency preference. I'd estimate that 20% of our class is from CA, and many others come from NY, VA, etc. The best part is that the university makes it easy to get in-state tuition after your first year.
Thanks! Its good to know they make it easy to get in-state tuition after the first year.

Hey! I just took my PCAT today and got my preliminary scores.

I haven't sent my PharmCas application in yet but I just wanted to list my stats to see if I could fare well with getting into UMB. I will be applying regular decision.

Overall GPA: cumulative 3.69
PCAT Preliminary scores
Chem: 93
Bio: 84
Quant: 85
Verbal: 25 :(
Reading: 47 :(
Comp: 76

I am 20 years old, have been working at CVS/pharmacy as a pharmacy technician since Feb 2015

Hey! I just took my PCAT today and got my preliminary scores.

I haven't sent my PharmCas application in yet but I just wanted to list my stats to see if I could fare well with getting into UMB. I will be applying regular decision.

Overall GPA: cumulative 3.69
PCAT Preliminary scores
Chem: 93
Bio: 84
Quant: 85
Verbal: 25 :(
Reading: 47 :(
Comp: 76

I am 20 years old, have been working at CVS/pharmacy as a pharmacy technician since Feb 2015

I'd venture that those stats are sufficient for an interview, though you don't tell us much about the rest of your application. Any extracurricular involvement? Leadership experience? Research experience?

If you are granted an interview, keep in mind that admissions at UMSOP are holistic. Your interview plays a big role in that. Make sure you present yourself as bright, hard-working, a good teammate, and emotionally intelligent.

Best of luck!

My Early Decision application just got verified! Wish me luck! :)

Reactions: 1 user
@Yearning Thank you!!

@y0ssarian87 Would you happen to know when I might be expecting an interview decision on my Early Decision application? I'm an out-of-state student and would be flying up, so I'm hoping they provide a good amount of notice prior to the interview date.

@Yearning Thank you!!

@y0ssarian87 Would you happen to know when I might be expecting an interview decision on my Early Decision application? I'm an out-of-state student and would be flying up, so I'm hoping they provide a good amount of notice prior to the interview date.

Unfortunately, I know virtually nothing about Early Decision. The admissions staff can probably give you a general idea as to what the turn around time typically is for Early Decision. They're a great resource.

Though, for regular decision, I *think* I submitted my applications on 11/15, received an interview invite in early January, and had an interview in end of January or early February. So I had about a month after receiving an invite, which was plenty of time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately, I know virtually nothing about Early Decision. The admissions staff can probably give you a general idea as to what the turn around time typically is for Early Decision. They're a great resource.

Though, for regular decision, I *think* I submitted my applications on 11/15, received an interview invite in early January, and had an interview in end of January or early February. So I had about a month after receiving an invite, which was plenty of time.

Gotcha, thanks! I left the admissions staff a voicemail earlier today, hopefully they're able to return my call tomorrow.

Got an interview invitation today (ED). Interview is Oct 9.

Reactions: 1 users
@y0ssarian87 Hi :) I've applied to UMD this cycle for regular decision. Do you know when do I expect to hear from them for the interview? Maybe mid-January?

I got my early decision acceptance letter today!!

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone gotten an interview invitation for regular decision?

I applied for regular decision, and got an interview invitation for November 13 afternoon. I actually got the invite, before I sent my supplemental app and fee.

I am already nervous/ excited! I know there is a list of questions going around to prepare for the interview, but do you have any other advice to calm the nerves?

What exactly goes on during the student Q&A? Is it about UMB? Or is it about pharmacy in general? Is it graded?

I applied for regular decision, and got an interview invitation for November 13 afternoon. I actually got the invite, before I sent my supplemental app and fee.

I am already nervous/ excited! I know there is a list of questions going around to prepare for the interview, but do you have any other advice to calm the nerves?

What exactly goes on during the student Q&A? Is it about UMB? Or is it about pharmacy in general? Is it graded?
congrats! I also got an interview for the afternoon as well!

The student Q&A is an opportunity for you to ask current pharmacy students any questions you may have about any topic: questions about applying for in-state tuition, housing questions, good restaurants in the area, questions about job opportunities, anything you want to ask. It is not graded, but don't ask something stupid and unprofessional.

Hey! Do you mind me asking when your application was received? I applied as well and am waiting to hear back. Thanks!

Hi! Does anyone have the list of questions that UMD faculty asks? My interview is tomorrow

Just got invited to UMD interview! I'm so relieved and excited. This is my top choice school along with UGA.

Just got invited to UMD interview! I'm so relieved and excited. This is my top choice school along with UGA.

Congrats! I just had mine last Friday and got my acceptance yesterday! Let me know if you have any questions!

I also got in. But, I have question regarding choosing campus.

If I choose SG in the beginning do I have the option to transfer to Baltimore campus second year in case I do not like SG?
And if possible, how hard is the process?

I also got in. But, I have question regarding choosing campus.

If I choose SG in the beginning do I have the option to transfer to Baltimore campus second year in case I do not like SG?
And if possible, how hard is the process?

Campus transfers are rare, but they have happened. I think generally there must be extenuating circumstances to allow a campus transfer. When you choose a campus, it's with the intention of sticking to that campus. That said, some Shady Grove students come to class at the Baltimore campus just for the additional interaction. All exams and required classes must be attended at your home campus unless you have prior explicit permission.

I can speak mostly about the Baltimore campus, but I may be able to answer some questions about the Shady Grove campus.

Campus transfers are rare, but they have happened. I think generally there must be extenuating circumstances to allow a campus transfer. When you choose a campus, it's with the intention of sticking to that campus. That said, some Shady Grove students come to class at the Baltimore campus just for the additional interaction. All exams and required classes must be attended at your home campus unless you have prior explicit permission.

I can speak mostly about the Baltimore campus, but I may be able to answer some questions about the Shady Grove campus.

I should also add, the reason they ask you to stick with one campus during your entire time is that it allows them to plan and allocate resources (money, classroom space, teaching technology, faculty, etc.) for each academic year.

Thank you y0ssarian. The information is very helpful!

Congrats! I just had mine last Friday and got my acceptance yesterday! Let me know if you have any questions!

Thank you :) And Congratulations to you !! That is amazing news.

Yes I was just wondering....How did you go about preparing for the interview? Does the interview feedback page on SDN help?

The interview is very relaxed. The staff and students who interview you make the environment very welcoming and friendly.
I had a mock interview done from the interview center on my campus. Also, I searched for list of questions pharmacy schools asked and practiced using those.

Go to http://www.pharmacist.com/featured-news and http://www.pharmacist.com/pharmacy-today-november-2015 read up on the articles. These will update you on issues and news surrounding pharmacy.

Reactions: 1 users
The interview is very relaxed. The staff and students who interview you make the environment very welcoming and friendly.
I had a mock interview done from the interview center on my campus. Also, I searched for list of questions pharmacy schools asked and practiced using those.

Go to http://www.pharmacist.com/featured-news and http://www.pharmacist.com/pharmacy-today-november-2015 read up on the articles. These will update you on issues and news surrounding pharmacy.

How long did your interview last? The email confirmation said it would be about 3 hours. Is this accurate?

And congrats on getting in!

Hello every body
I have a question for all those who accepted.
Did you send Thank you letter, card or email to your interviewers?

Last edited:
How long did it take after your applications being verified by PharmCAS to hear from UM?

How long did it take after your applications being verified by PharmCAS to hear from UM?

This is the timeline for my application & interview process:

PharmCAS
- e-submission on 10/13
- GPA verified on 10/29

University of Maryland
- Application received on 11/11
- Interview invitation on 11/19
- Interview on 12/04
- Acceptance Offer 12/09

Overall, Maryland was very quick in responding so there wasn't too much waiting game! Thankfully :highfive:

I have officially accepted my offer! :) And I have two questions for current students....

1) For those out-of-state students, what are the steps needed to change my status to in-state? And is it actually as easy as most people say it is after the 1st year?
2) When is a good time I should start looking for roommates and apartments?

Thank you in advance!

This is the timeline for my application & interview process:

PharmCAS
- e-submission on 10/13
- GPA verified on 10/29

University of Maryland
- Application received on 11/11
- Interview invitation on 11/19
- Interview on 12/04
- Acceptance Offer 12/09

Overall, Maryland was very quick in responding so there wasn't too much waiting game! Thankfully :highfive:

Thank you! My GPA was verified 12/9 hopefully I hear from them soon :)

I have officially accepted my offer! :) And I have two questions for current students....

1) For those out-of-state students, what are the steps needed to change my status to in-state? And is it actually as easy as most people say it is after the 1st year?
2) When is a good time I should start looking for roommates and apartments?

Thank you in advance!

1) The steps needed to change your status to in-state are generally listed here: https://www.umaryland.edu/orr/residency/in-state-status/

You should pick up a paper application from the registrar's office.

Here are the questions from the application from two years ago:

1. Are you residing in Maryland primarily to attend an educational institution?

2. If you were admitted as a freshman or transfer student, indicate name(s) of high school(s) attended:

Please attach a statement/explanation (not to exceed one typed page) regarding circumstances that brought you to the State of Maryland.

3. Did you own or rent and occupy living quarters in Maryland during the entire 12 month period prior to the deadline?

Please attach a photocopy of your deed(s) or lease agreement(s) or affidavit as allowed by policy, and cancelled rent checks (front and back of checks – if cancelled checks are not available or applicable, submit evidence of payment from your rental agent) for the twelve (12) months prior to the deadline, or evidence of residing with a spouse, parent or
legal guardian.

List residence(s) for the 12-month period prior to the deadline.

4. Are all, or substantially all, of our possessions (including bank accounts) in the State of Maryland? (include bank/credit card statements)

5. Income Tax Information: For the last 2 years prior to the deadline, list following information regarding federal and state income taxes (if necessary, attach a supplemental sheet):

Income Tax Returns Year(s) Filed:

Please attach photocopies of your federal and state income tax returns with all attachments and W-2 forms for the tax year ending within the 12-month period prior to the deadline. If you did not file income tax, indicate reason.

6. Motor Vehicle Registration: Do you own or have you owned any vehicle(s) during the 12 months prior to the deadline?

If yes, for each owned motor vehicle, please provide the following information (if necessary, attach a supplemental sheet):

-Year and Vehicle Make & Model
-State of Registration(s) (For the past 12 months)
-Date of Vehicle Purchase
-Currently Owned? (If not, date vehiclesold.)

Please attach photocopy of the registration(s) and title(s) of all vehicles listed; if sold, a photocopy of the Bill of Sale.

7. Motor Vehicle Operator’s License:
a. Do you possess a Maryland driver’s license?
b. Have you possessed a driver’s licesnse in any other state?
c. Has your driver’s license been renewed in the last 12 months?

Please attach a photocopy of any driver’s license you currently possess.

8. Voter Registration
a. Are you currently registered to vote? If yes, in which state?
b. Have you been registered to vote in any other state duing the twelve month period directly prior to the deadline?

Please attach a photocopy of your voter’s registration card(s) for the past 12 months.

9. Have you received public assistance in the twelve months prior to the deadline from a state other than the State of Maryland or from a city, county or municipal agency other than one in Maryland?

10. Citizenship Status
a. Are you a citizen of the United States?

Section 7: Rebuttal Evidence
Please list participation in all professional, social, community, civic, political, athletic or religious organization in Maryland, including professionally related school activities that demonstrate a commitment to your community or to the State of Maryland.

Please attach evidence that your sole address of record for all purposes including on health and
auto insurance records, bank accounts, tax records, loan and scholarship records, school records,
military records, leases, etc., is in the State of Maryland.

Please attach notarized affidavit(s) from a person(s) unrelated to the student that provides
objective, relevant evidence of a student’s conduct demonstrating the student’s intent to live
permanently in Maryland.

I recommend viewing the application as your guide to residency status. Oh, they want a copy of my vehicle registration, driver's license, lease, credit card statements, etc? Then obviously those are things to do at least 12 months before you apply for in-state residency status. You can apply for residency each semester.

2) You can start looking whenever. I feel like people really started looking in March, but I know people who found places/roommates as late as August. Your call. I do recommend moving to MD early enough to take care of all the stuff needed for applying for in-state tuition early. Moving in a couple weeks early may save you a few thousand in the long run...

It is much easier to acquire in state tuition than it once was. It used to be that one needed to demonstrate that the primary purpose of coming to maryland was not for school - practically insurmountable unless you purchased a home or a spouse had a job etc. Now, follow the checklist to the letter. Dot your Is and cross your Ts and pretty much everyone gets it.

It is not graded. And your time for questions about pharmacy in general was the open house. Or their traveling roadshow. If you're asking questions about pharmacy in general while attending an interview to pharmacy school, you need to rethink your strategy and perhaps your future.

Every applicant should be as selective in their school as the school is selective in picking students for admission.

The Q&A should be used to your advantage for asking the questions designed to elicit the answers which will help you identify which school is the right fit for you.

Does anyone know if public speaking taken online is sufficient for their prerequisite requirement?
I know they accept AP/IB credits but their website doesn't mention anything about virtual classes.