Univ. of Rochester

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

akaneko

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone interviewed there during October still waiting to hear back from them?

I remember they told us at the interview that we should hear back from them at the end of November... :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed on 10/4 and am still waiting. I know of others that interviewed later that already have their decisions, but I also know of others (or one other) that is in the same boat as us.

I'm thinking this is the week we'll hear (at least for me, it was 8 weeks on Monday) and I'm crossing my fingers for good news....

I interviewed in october and I remember them saying it took 8 weeks to get a response. They sais doemthing like 4 weeks to review everyone and 4 weeks to make their final decisions.

Members don't see this ad :)
akaneko said:
Anyone interviewed there during October still waiting to hear back from them?

I remember they told us at the interview that we should hear back from them at the end of November... :confused:

Yup, I interviewed with DGhiker and I haven't heard back yet either. I don't know why they are taking sooooo long.

I interviewed early October and still no word. I'm sure we will be hearing something soon.

What was your overall impression of Rochester? and why?
thanks

mrcdsbenz2000 said:
thanks

i interviewed three weeks ago. I wasn't too impressed with the city itself. The weather is another negative. During the tour, the most interesting the tourguide talked about the city was the cemetery. I could really care less that Kodak and Bausch & Lomb is headquartered there. I took a tour of the city, and everything is really spaced out.

But the school itself is amazing. The facilities look very new and their innovative curriculum sounds awesome. The people there are also very nice. I was impressed with that. I would consider going if I get in.

I agree with Uegis, the city leaves a lot to be desired but the school itself seems great. The schools atmosphere was inviting, everyone I interacted with left me with a good impression and I liked their curriculum. They have the right idea when it comes to early patient contact and the practical integration of basic science and clinical care. I have a few friends that go there that I stay with for the interview. They love the school but even for them the area was a tough sell. I would definitely consider the school, if accepted.

Uh oh, Mom just called and said I've got mail from U of R and it's thin. Gotta stop by after work and pick it up. Now if I could just concentrate on work for the next 2 hours..... :thumbdown:

DGhiker said:
Uh oh, Mom just called and said I've got mail from U of R and it's thin. Gotta stop by after work and pick it up. Now if I could just concentrate on work for the next 2 hours..... :thumbdown:

"Don't judge a book by its cover."

A lot of schools send acceptances in thin envelopes. I don't know it U of R is one of them, but being optimistic doesn't hurt.

I return home from serious traffic to meet a small envelope from U of R...waitlisted. After todays 3+ hour drive home from work which is usually 45 mins I guess I should be used to waiting :(

the timing of this post can't be any better...returned home to a thin envelope. :(

mrcdsbenz2000 said:
thanks

Well...the "city" itself is definitely a tough sell. I tried to get a feel for the city and there wasnt much to do. I talked to not only students but just local people..all said it was pretty much dead. The school must know that it is a drawback because they try really hard to sell the city to you. Plus, locals said it was pretty gray year round and winter is long and very cold. They said they get 100+ inches snow a year.

As for the school itself...The facilities are relatively new. They definitely have a unique curriculum and emphasize very early clinical contact. All the students I talked to seemed to be be extremely happy to be there. And all were enthusiasitc to talk to interviewees. They are all very nice as well.

Personally, I wasnt impressed with the area. School seems decent, but I am not sure if I would go there if accepted. BUt that is personal opinion based more on the surrounding area.Though we will have limited free time suring med school, I want to be at aplace that offers more choices. Plus tuition is high....

Members don't see this ad :)
akaneko said:
the timing of this post can't be any better...returned home to a thin envelope. :(

ah yes. me too. what a day. my first waitlist.

add me to the waitlist as well.

I'll be there interviewing next Friday. Rochester the city sounds pretty bleak, but I have a colleague that worked as a nurse at Strong Memorial and she spoke VERY highly of that hospital.

Did any of you get a sense of what it's like outside the city? Foresty, hilly, can you see the lake?

My partner is an optics physicist, so she's pretty pumped about Bausch & Lomb, Kodak, and Xerox. That'd be good... :thumbup:

DianaLynne said:
Did any of you get a sense of what it's like outside the city? Foresty, hilly, can you see the lake?
:thumbup:

Yep. You gotta go like 45 minutes south to get to the Finger Lakes... Canandaigua Lake, Honeoye Lake. Farmlike, rural, pretty. Just outside of the city it is more rural, but not as pretty.

A friend of mine passed up Mayo for Rochester. The curriculum kicks butt! I can't believe that you start clerkships during your first year. The negative to that though is that they're in school a lot. 3 days 8-5. Facilities are so nice. Ppl are sweet.

To the waitlisters, I don't know if this helps, but I'll probably withdraw after financial aid comes in. Still hoping for scholarships and such.

akaneko said:

As soon as I saw the thin envelope today I knew what to expect :cool: . Add me to the waiylisters club :(

I interviewed on nov 11, but I heard it could take anywhere between 4 - 8 weeks, anyone get their letter before 8 weeks, it would be nice to hear before xmas :)

DeterminedMD said:
As soon as I saw the thin envelope today I knew what to expect :cool: . Add me to the waiylisters club :(

This is old news by now, but just for the record, add one more to the massive waitlist pile.

Anyone know if the waitlist is ranked? I cant remember. BUt I htought it was strange thatthey tell you that if you submit there Financial aid form they will let you know within 24 hours of processing it if they will give you a spot and take you off the waitlist. What does that mean? If you got the funds you can get in???

DeterminedMD said:
Anyone know if the waitlist is ranked? I cant remember. BUt I htought it was strange thatthey tell you that if you submit there Financial aid form they will let you know within 24 hours of processing it if they will give you a spot and take you off the waitlist. What does that mean? If you got the funds you can get in???

I thought they meant that if you were accepted off the waitlist, they would tell you your financial aid package within 24 hours.

tinkerbelle said:
I thought they meant that if you were accepted off the waitlist, they would tell you your financial aid package within 24 hours.

ooppss read it wrong

doctor5 said:
I interviewed on nov 11, but I heard it could take anywhere between 4 - 8 weeks, anyone get their letter before 8 weeks, it would be nice to hear before xmas :)

Hey, interviewed the same day as you. I was the Chinese guy from California, not the one from MIT. Which one were you?

For those of you waitlisted, how long was your 'short note' of interest?

I just interviewed there last week and thought Rochester was great! Sure, it was cloudy and drizzly the whole time I was there and I'm sure that wears on you after months, but the students seemed so happy! And I really liked their educational and clinical philosophy.

So, here's hoping that all you folks on the waitlist get in and that I have some good news to post here around February... :luck:

Do they really make you wait two months?

Hey guys-

Right now I am an undergrad at UR, and I can agree with most of the comments others have noted.

Im originally from Miami, born and raised, but came here on a full ride...didnt know what to expect. First off, its cold...very freaking cold. we get "sideways snow" about 4 months out of the year and the Lake Effect takes it below 0 alot. The city is also very lame, with most stuff for the undergrads revolving on campus. In NO WAY is Rochester a college town. The med students feel the same way...there is not much to do except activities amongst themselves. The best thing to do in my opinion is take the 30- 1 hour drive to Buffalo or Niagara Falls to party.

With that said, the med school is amazing. I interviewed there yesterday, and even with me being there alot already in the 4 years here as an undergrad, it still impressed. The cirriculum is innovative, and works great. The facilities are wonderful. And the research opportunities are second to none.

Let me know if you want any other info.

Sorry to post this late, but I got accepted to U of R SOM and will probably end up going there. I've heard a lot of good things (believe it or not) about the town from people who are into the arts and music scenes. They say you have to look for stuff, but its there.

I got my thin envelope: waitlisted. D'oh. Anyone hear whether or not it's a ranked list? And is email an appropriate way to let them know that I want to still be considered for a spot or do I need to send them something through snail mail?

No idea. I got accepted there on Dec. 22nd (was beyond stoked, but because its kind of a hidden gem people sometimes don't know what to think about it) and have been in contact with some of the students. I'll see what I can find out for you.

Bump. Also, who all is going to come to U of R in the class of 2009?

Larsitron said:
Bump. Also, who all is going to come to U of R in the class of 2009?

I'm still debating. Just sent in the housing request form for the Goesseler(sp?) House and the rents were reasonable. I'm still trying to decide between Rochester, Einstein or MCW. I really liked Rochester's curriculum, facilities, and nice people, but the city really doesn't mesh well with me. I also don't like a grading system either and prefer P/F.

Larsitron, which other schools did you pick over for Rochester? Why do you like U of R? BTW, we can accepted on the same day, 12/22, haha. My first acceptance and only phone call ever from admissions office for acceptance.

Uegis said:
I also don't like a grading system either and prefer P/F.

I'm a Rochester student ('05) and I just want to say a few quick things.

First, about the grading system. The first two years of basic sciences are pass/fail. I think this is advantageous, because as you are getting to know people and build your community, it is a very non-competitive environment. The clinical years are graded, but frankly, grades are looked at very seriously when you are applying to residency. I'm not sure how a residency evaluates students from med schools that are entirely pass/fail. I would imagine that they weight very heavily towards your USMLE Step I score, which may or may not be an advantage depending on your test taking abilities.

Second, as to the city itself. It's fine. It's not great, but there are advantages to living in Rochester. If you are dead set on going to a major city for med school, there is no way I could convince you to come to Rochester. On the other hand, the quality of life that a medical student can afford to live, on loans, is pretty amazing. Rents are cheap, restaurants are cheap. There is also no traffic problems, there are great schools in affordable areas if you have children. I go to the best gym in Rochester as a med student, and it's a luxury that would not be possible to afford in a "better" city.

The final thing I would say about Rochester is that it has very solid to excellent reputation, and typically sends it's grads to the best residency programs in the nation. There are faculty with national reputations that can help you build connections at highly respected institutions. It's not an ivy league, but if you work hard at Rochester the sky is the limit.

I don't regret coming to Rochester, in fact, I"m incredibly happy I did. Four years is a relatively short amount of time to live somewhere, and I've enjoyed my time here. It's not NYC, but building a life you enjoy is up to you, and you can do it in Rochester (cheaply) if you put a little effort in.

Uegis said:
I'm still debating. Just sent in the housing request form for the Goesseler(sp?) House and the rents were reasonable. I'm still trying to decide between Rochester, Einstein or MCW. I really liked Rochester's curriculum, facilities, and nice people, but the city really doesn't mesh well with me. I also don't like a grading system either and prefer P/F.

Larsitron, which other schools did you pick over for Rochester? Why do you like U of R? BTW, we can accepted on the same day, 12/22, haha. My first acceptance and only phone call ever from admissions office for acceptance.

Nice. Well, I was back east (I'm from Tucson) for Case's second look weekend and decided to pay U of R a revisit too. The students were amazingly friendly, some even remembering me from my original interview time. I was just there for a revisit and they were incredibly welcoming and warm and engaging. I just felt like I clicked there.

Aside from my own impression of the awesome people, there are a lot of other factors. Their early introduction to clinical medicine (with time put into the curriculum and the first year 1:1 preceptoring) is amazing. Secondly, their grading system for the first two years is pass/fail (http://www.urmc.rochester.edu/smd/stdnt/handbook/DhGrading.html) so that's a plus. Their clerkships are graded like all over the nation with honors/high pass/pass/fail, so maybe that was what you were thinking about?

The research that goes on there is amazing and there's plenty of opportunities for extracurricular involvement. Since I'm looking at neurology/neuroscience, its one of the better places to go for it.

But my primary reason is just that it feels like home there. As far as location, it's reasonably close to Toronto, NYC, and Boston if you wanted to take a weekend trip to those places every once in a while, but I love the city itself. I think Rochester is a pretty neat place, but then again I'm heavily involved in music and the music scene there is pretty hip. Also, I'm a semi-pro photographer and it's a great city for that as well.

Anyway, I plan to withdraw my acceptances at Case and BU to take my spot at Rochester in the fall.

blue2000 said:
I'm a Rochester student ('05) and I just want to say a few quick things.

First, about the grading system. The first two years of basic sciences are pass/fail. I think this is advantageous, because as you are getting to know people and build your community, it is a very non-competitive environment. The clinical years are graded, but frankly, grades are looked at very seriously when you are applying to residency. I'm not sure how a residency evaluates students from med schools that are entirely pass/fail. I would imagine that they weight very heavily towards your USMLE Step I score, which may or may not be an advantage depending on your test taking abilities.

Second, as to the city itself. It's fine. It's not great, but there are advantages to living in Rochester. If you are dead set on going to a major city for med school, there is no way I could convince you to come to Rochester. On the other hand, the quality of life that a medical student can afford to live, on loans, is pretty amazing. Rents are cheap, restaurants are cheap. There is also no traffic problems, there are great schools in affordable areas if you have children. I go to the best gym in Rochester as a med student, and it's a luxury that would not be possible to afford in a "better" city.

The final thing I would say about Rochester is that it has very solid to excellent reputation, and typically sends it's grads to the best residency programs in the nation. There are faculty with national reputations that can help you build connections at highly respected institutions. It's not an ivy league, but if you work hard at Rochester the sky is the limit.

I don't regret coming to Rochester, in fact, I"m incredibly happy I did. Four years is a relatively short amount of time to live somewhere, and I've enjoyed my time here. It's not NYC, but building a life you enjoy is up to you, and you can do it in Rochester (cheaply) if you put a little effort in.

Thanks for your comments blue2000!

Thanks Blue and Larsitron for your insight. Now I'm just waiting on financial aid info. Blue, how is the financial aid from Rochester? And how is Goessler House, if you;ve been there?

Uegis said:
Thanks Blue and Larsitron for your insight. Now I'm just waiting on financial aid info. Blue, how is the financial aid from Rochester? And how is Goessler House, if you;ve been there?

1. Fin Aid: My first disclaimer is that I have no idea about your situation. That being said, you will receive enough loan to pay your tuition and live on, especially if you are single/married no kids. My class is graduating with an average debt load of 130,000, which is just about average for private medical school graduates. The school is not loaded, in terms of giving out a ton of scholarship, but some do get it. It's pretty much all need based at this point, but there is talk of it changing.

2. Goler house (which is what I think you are referring to) is nice. It's a huge building, and people are happy with it. I live in University Park (which is another UofR owned graduate housing complex) which I like better, but is slightly more expensive. Whipple Park, UPK and Goler are all much, much nicer than any graduate housing I saw at other med schools (though my experience is limited) the maintenance is excellent, and the area is very safe, parking is easier, etc. Many people live in Park Ave, or in houses in the neighborhood right near the med school. All are good options. If you have time (which can be hard) come to Rochester and check things out. But Goler's nice.

Hey Eugis go to AE and give us Rochester Waitlist students a chance :) (especially the ones who went to roch undergrad)

Interviewed on February 24th, received a waitlist position last week, sent in my letter of interest on staying on the waitlist this week. Hope that helps!

i got an e-mail saying that im on the "active wailist"

i was really impressed with the school when I was there, and i think it would be an awesome place to go.

do you guys have any info regarding their waitlist movement??

burgers said:
i got an e-mail saying that im on the "active wailist"

i was really impressed with the school when I was there, and i think it would be an awesome place to go.

do you guys have any info regarding their waitlist movement??

Hey, did everyone who was put on the waitlist got the email burgers is reffering to? Or did they only email the people who have a chance...?

jclarke said:
Hey, did everyone who was put on the waitlist got the email burgers is reffering to? Or did they only email the people who have a chance...?

I haven't received this letter. I was waitlisted in late Feb.

jclarke said:

BUMP

Also, burgers, did you email Hansen? Or did they just send you this email out of the blue?

man, just had a chat with some med students at the UWisc, and i've decided i don't want to deal with that grading trash. something about rochester did click, and the pure pass/fail is really appealing -- plus, the enigmatic "double helix" curriculum only adds to the whole ambiance. seems designed for self-motivated students, while allowing for a really non-competitive atmosphere.

really wish rochester had a second look weekend, though -- one of my concerns is the city.

I've talked to a lot of the students and, other than the weather, I haven't heard a lot of complaints. Granted, I come from Tucson which is fairly analogous to Rochester in terms of size and it's community, but look at it this way: when you need to study, there aren't going to be a ton of distractions. When you want to party, Toronto, NYC, Boston, etc. are all readily accessible for a weekend trip.

I arranged my own second look by calling Pat Samuelson and asking if I could go back and follow students for a day. And it totally sold me. I love how they've integrated their clinical and basic sciences. Its just a gut feeling for me, but I think I'll be pretty happy calling that place home for the next four years (or maybe more if I get to match there for residency).

I'm also a bit worried about the car situation. I won't be able to get a car, but a letter from Dean Hansen said that a car is necessary due to early clinical rotations. Does anyone know about this? Having a car doesn't seem very feasible for me at the moment. Just another thing to think about I guess.

Uegis said:
I'm also a bit worried about the car situation. I won't be able to get a car, but a letter from Dean Hansen said that a car is necessary due to early clinical rotations. Does anyone know about this? Having a car doesn't seem very feasible for me at the moment. Just another thing to think about I guess.

As a UofR student, I would tell you that living without a car is do-able, though not easy, you're first year. Rochester has horrible public transit -- I grew up in a city where I took the bus every day and am very comfortable with it, and I have never set foot on a city bus as a student here. After first year, you really need a car.

That being said, I paid off a (cheap) car during med school. The financial aid/living allowance has enough of a cushion that it's possible to do that (I'm not the only one who did). If you make your choices wisely as far as how you spend the rest of your cash (ie, living with roommates), buying a cheap new or used car is extremely possible. That's the upside of Rochester -- cost of living is very very reasonable.