University at Buffalo - Class of 2018 Phamacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So for the supplemental application, was it a just the survey or did they have an additional supplemental application after you submit your phamcas, survey, and pay the $50?

Did you try calling them for an update of your application?
It was just a short survey + a short pre-req course form and I have called then and they said I have completed their application and they are just reviewing them right now but it has been a while...

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I have 2.886 GPA and 3.089 for my major courses which is Chemistry. PharmCAS calculated i have 2.65 GPA.

Verbal Ability 365 (4)
Biology 379 (10)
Reading Comprehension 359 (3)
Chemistry 399 (45)
Quantitative Ability 410 (67)

My PCAT score is horrible. I worked at a pharmacy for 6 months and research lab. 2 good recommendation letters.
Do you guys think i have any chance?

My PCAT score is horrible. I worked at a pharmacy for 6 months and research lab. 2 good recommendation letters.
Do you guys think i have any chance?

I am no admissions officer, but those are some pretty rough numbers. I've never seen section scores in the single digits before. I barely have over a 3.0 GPA with a PCAT composite of 98, and I was surprised t0 get an interview offer a week after submitting the Pharmcas application.

My advice would be to re-take the PCAT and score in the 90s. I believe that is what helped my application because my GPA is not appealing.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am no admissions officer, but those are some pretty rough numbers. I've never seen section scores in the single digits before. I barely have over a 3.0 GPA with a PCAT composite of 98, and I was surprised t0 get an interview offer a week after submitting the Pharmcas application.

My advice would be to re-take the PCAT and score in the 90s. I believe that is what helped my application because my GPA is not appealing.
how long did the school take to send you an interview invitation?

I just checked my records again to make sure. I designated my PharmCAS on the 2nd of December and received the interview e-mail on the 10th, so yeah pretty much a week.

The strange thing is that I still need to complete their supplemental application. Same thing happened with Tennessee and Midwestern AZ. I guess some schools do that?

I just checked my records again to make sure. I designated my PharmCAS on the 2nd of December and received the interview e-mail on the 10th, so yeah pretty much a week.

The strange thing is that I still need to complete their supplemental application. Same thing happened with Tennessee and Midwestern AZ. I guess some schools do that?

ughh. i sent in my application on nov 11 and still haven't hear anything since then... i got 3.80 overall and 95% on pcat...

ughh. i sent in my application on nov 11 and still haven't hear anything since then... i got 3.80 overall and 95% on pcat...

Ahhh I see.. Do you already have a degree? Hopefully your application is still under review or maybe it somehow got pushed down the queue? Another thing I should add is that I have pretty strong LORs. I may not have any research or retail pharmacy experience (or even school clubs for that matter), but I showed that the things I do have a lot of meaning and prepared me to pursue pharmacy.

Their application isn't due for a while, so you have time! :)

Ahhh I see.. Do you already have a degree? Hopefully your application is still under review or maybe it somehow got pushed down the queue? Another thing I should add is that I have pretty strong LORs. I may not have any research or retail pharmacy experience (or even school clubs for that matter), but I showed that the things I do have a lot of meaning and prepared me to pursue pharmacy.

Their application isn't due for a while, so you have time! :)

I will have a B.S. In spring.
I got 4 good LOR too :( along with leadership positions. Sigh I will guess I will call again on Monday.

I will have a B.S. In spring.
I got 4 good LOR too :( along with leadership positions. Sigh I will guess I will call again on Monday.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! Yeah you certainly have strong stats, but everyone has something different to offer to the table.

Do I still have chance to take PCAT for Fall 2014 admission? If yes when can i do that?

Do I still have chance to take PCAT for Fall 2014 admission? If yes when can i do that?

http://pcatweb.info/

It looks like the earliest you can take the PCAT is in January 7th and 8th. We're nearing the end of December.. so if you want to register, you should do it ASAP. Get a good review guide, study like a madman/woman, and ace it. Good luck.

Hey, looking at my score, theres no way i can prepare all that in a week. Is there anything after 7th and 8th?

It seems like Jan 7 and 8th are the last dates for this PharmCAS cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a way i can apply for Spring 2015 semester? I really need to improve my PCAT in order to get accepted in Buffalo.

as far as i know they don't accept students for Spring semester. You need to apply for Fall 2014 cycle.

Is there a way i can apply for Spring 2015 semester? I really need to improve my PCAT in order to get accepted in Buffalo.
Irelia is correct; UB does not accept students for the spring. You can consider taking a year off and strengthening your PCAT and application. You could consider volunteering at a hospital pharmacy or try to work as a tech.

I guess it won't hurt to at least make an attempt this cycle? Maybe a mind-blowing personal statement could get you an interview somewhere since you mentioned pharmacy experience and good LORs.

Just got an interview invite for 2/28. Hopefully I am not among the last to get interviewed...lol.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys, I just got the acceptance email from UB today (1.27.14)
Interviewed just this past Friday on the 24th. Good luck to everyone.
congrats, how was the interview. i have one on friday and I'm a little nervous because of the writing section. any tips or advice on how to prepare...

Going to give up my seat in the interview for 2/28. Good luck to everyone! =]

Interviewing this Friday! Does anyone know if the shuttle can provide you from North campus to South campus? I am staying at a hotel by north campus and I am not sure how I will get to South campus.

Interviewing this Friday! Does anyone know if the shuttle can provide you from North campus to South campus? I am staying at a hotel by north campus and I am not sure how I will get to South campus.

Yes, the shuttle can take you from North to South campus, but they might only let you on if you have a UB card. Depending on the hotel, they might offer free shuttle services to where you need to go. Congrats and good luck on the interview!

Congrats to everyone who already received an acceptance!
Interviewing 2/28! Hopefully it's not too late either!

Just had my interview yesterday and I'm a little nervous. My interview skills are just horrible and I think I screwed up. Can anyone who got accepted tell us about your stats and how the interview went, it would be greatly appreciated. I also noticed that many of their students in the school are all super energetic extroverts, I am not that. Is that what their looking for? (...maybe loud extroverts make the best leaders or something...?)

Oh and congrats if you got accepted, this is an amazing school!

Also how would you compare this school to TJU or Temple.

i still did not hear from any pharmacy schools, including Buffalo. Should i call them? What am i suppose to do at this point? Btw I applied late december 2013.

i still did not hear from any pharmacy schools, including Buffalo. Should i call them? What am i suppose to do at this point? Btw I applied late december 2013.
:( If it helps, I submitted my all my paperwork on 12/18 and received an interview invite on 1/27 for the 2/28 interview date. My stats are low but I have strong LORs, research experience, and a lot of pharmacy exposure/experience

I'm not too sure of their policy on calls, but I've heard that interviews go until March/April? Feb 28 is the latest date i've seen as of now but completely possible for more wiggle room! Maybe shoot them an email? Schools are very busy now and I know that some schools explicitly tell you not to contact them.

sigh... i did a lot of research and then helped my friend prepare for the interview and then she goes out of her way to help all the people who flew in and stayed at her hotel... i'm now waitlisted. lesson learned. everyone man/woman for themselves. i just got cheated out of my future.

How are you so certain that you're waitlisted because of them? There are so many factors that play into the decisions that the adcom makes.

During the interviews I always befriend really nice people and I may come across as being selfish if I don't share anything. I don't flat-out share the questions. I only let them know how the interview went and try to encourage them.

You never know, you could be accepted off the waitlist! At least you know the repercussions of sharing interview questions now.

sigh... i did a lot of research and then helped my friend prepare for the interview and then she goes out of her way to help all the people who flew in and stayed at her hotel... i'm now waitlisted. lesson learned. everyone man/woman for themselves. i just got cheated out of my future.

l0l what do you mean you got "cheated out"? It was your decision to help in the beginning. And the fact that you got wait-listed probably means you prepared inadequately for the interview or your approach was not that good. I don't know how buffalo evaluates applicants but more or less if you do good on your interview you are most likely in.

does anyone know facebook group for c/o 2018 admitted applicants?

Many students come of the waitlist, you definitely still have a chance.
does anyone know facebook group for c/o 2018 admitted applicants?

Congrats on your acceptance! You should be receiving another email from the admissions office soon with a link to it.

I literally fell in love with this school when I visited here for the interview. I'm so happy I was accepted :)

I literally fell in love with this school when I visited here for the interview. I'm so happy I was accepted :)

Congrats!! So you'll be attending in the fall?? :) Feel free to ask any questions about anything!

Congrats!! So you'll be attending in the fall?? :) Feel free to ask any questions about anything!
Yes I will be starting this fall and I'm so excited!!!

I have a question . I want to live on campus (grad apartments) but I don't know which is the best. I never had a chance to tour the north campus or housing. Which apartments is the newest/ most modern, cleanest, and quietest (away from the crazy parties or undergrads)?

Yes I will be starting this fall and I'm so excited!!!

I have a question . I want to live on campus (grad apartments) but I don't know which is the best. I never had a chance to tour the north campus or housing. Which apartments is the newest/ most modern, cleanest, and quietest (away from the crazy parties or undergrads)?

I'm not too familiar with the on-campus apts. because I'm renting off campus, but I have friends living at UV Sweethome that like it there. It's right across from north campus and also close to a theater. If you look up AMC Maple Ridge, it's super fancy and has cheap matinee pricing on weekdays before 4:30pm (or 5, I forget). Also close to a Taco Bell if you have those late night cravings.

I advise against Collegiate Village though. It's a gated area but the second you step out of the gates, the neighborhood is pretty sketchy. It's more expensive as well.

Is there any particular one that you were looking at??

I'm not too familiar with the on-campus apts. because I'm renting off campus, but I have friends living at UV Sweethome that like it there. It's right across from north campus and also close to a theater. If you look up AMC Maple Ridge, it's super fancy and has cheap matinee pricing on weekdays before 4:30pm (or 5, I forget). Also close to a Taco Bell if you have those late night cravings.

I advise against Collegiate Village though. It's a gated area but the second you step out of the gates, the neighborhood is pretty sketchy. It's more expensive as well.

Is there any particular one that you were looking at??
Thanks for the advice :)

I know i want to live in on campus. They gave me a list of apartments available for grad students. Which so you recommend from what you've heard? Also, did you attend UB as an undergrad, if not how did you find a room mate or the right apartment?

Creekside Village

Flickinger Court
Flint Village
South Lake Village
Hadley Village

Thanks for the advice :)

I know i want to live in on campus. They gave me a list of apartments available for grad students. Which so you recommend from what you've heard? Also, did you attend UB as an undergrad, if not how did you find a room mate or the right apartment?

Creekside Village

Flickinger Court
Flint Village
South Lake Village
Hadley Village

I haven't really heard much about these on-campus apts, I only know of some off-campus apts. I personally wouldn't choose Creekside Village or Flickinger Court because they're in the middle of nowhere and far from the heart of North Campus. Check out the map pdf of north campus. I like South Lake Village because of the lakes but still a little far from heart of campus if you don't have a car.

I didn't attend UB for undergrad so it was difficult looking for housing. One of my roommates was already a long time friend. And another roommate I actually found right here on this forum! We were both accepted and found out we were both from NYC so we messaged and friended each other. As for apt. hunting, Craigslist was my primary resource. I responded to several listings on Craigslist and then planned a one-day trip to Buffalo and rented a car to check out apts. during my spring break. Obviously this isn't too practical but just sharing my experience!

Attachments

• NorthCampus.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 48
I haven't really heard much about these on-campus apts, I only know of some off-campus apts. I personally wouldn't choose Creekside Village or Flickinger Court because they're in the middle of nowhere and far from the heart of North Campus. Check out the map pdf of north campus. I like South Lake Village because of the lakes but still a little far from heart of campus if you don't have a car.

I didn't attend UB for undergrad so it was difficult looking for housing. One of my roommates was already a long time friend. And another roommate I actually found right here on this forum! We were both accepted and found out we were both from NYC so we messaged and friended each other. As for apt. hunting, Craigslist was my primary resource. I responded to several listings on Craigslist and then planned a one-day trip to Buffalo and rented a car to check out apts. during my spring break. Obviously this isn't too practical but just sharing my experience!
Thank you sooo much for the tips! It really helps. :)

To anyone from Buffalo or a current pharm and pre-pharm student at UB, I was wondering if you could inform me about life in Buffalo.
I'm from the west coast, and I'd like to know more about the city. What is the lifestyle like, what things are there to do in the city, what are the "popular" attractions and how is student life?
I wasn't able to visit Buffalo proper since the interview was solely on the south campus during some bad weather. Any and all info would be great to help me gauge the transition.

We have a few people here from the west coast. They have been able to adapt easily. It's quite cold here, and recently it's been snowing quite a lot. Student life isn't bad. You get to know your classmates very well because you see them everyday in every class. There isn't really much to do in Buffalo around the school, but there are quite a few places to eat, a good movie theater nearby, and Canada is less than an hour away. If you are planning to come here from the west coast, I recommend purchasing a heavy coat and a pair of boots. :p

We have a few people here from the west coast. They have been able to adapt easily. It's quite cold here, and recently it's been snowing quite a lot. Student life isn't bad. You get to know your classmates very well because you see them everyday in every class. There isn't really much to do in Buffalo around the school, but there are quite a few places to eat, a good movie theater nearby, and Canada is less than an hour away. If you are planning to come here from the west coast, I recommend purchasing a heavy coat and a pair of boots. :p

I was wondering the same thing! I'm from the south, and with the recent snow storms, have flights been getting delayed? I wasn't quite sure if I should be worried about transportation over there.

I was wondering the same thing! I'm from the south, and with the recent snow storms, have flights been getting delayed? I wasn't quite sure if I should be worried about transportation over there.
This year has just been particularly rough everywhere. Hopefully it won't continue to be this bad in the coming years!

Can anyone recommend decent areas for living off campus? I am from NYC and not too familiar with any of the areas. Ideally i'm looking for a room share that is not too far from South Campus.

Can anyone recommend decent areas for living off campus? I am from NYC and not too familiar with any of the areas. Ideally i'm looking for a room share that is not too far from South Campus.
The closest area to south campus would be the university heights area. You can check here for rooms if you're just looking for one: http://subboard.com/och/ I would caution you that some areas in university heights are kinda sketchy though...

just got invited for interview march 7. any tips for interview ? thx

just got invited for interview march 7. any tips for interview ? thx
Just prepare for the interview like any other and you should be fine! If you scroll to older posts, you'll see what others have had to say about it. It's a pretty laid back interview so don't stress too much about it!