University at Buffalo (MD) or Touro-COM NY (DO)??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shimmyshimmy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!
I'm choosing between SUNY University at Buffalo or the DO program at TouroCOM NY in the new Middletown campus.
For those that know about these 2 programs, which would you rather attend?
I'm from the Middletown NY area so I'm already familiar with the area.
However, UB is a more established program overall.
Anyone have any advice or info to help me along my decision making process?
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone!
I'm choosing between SUNY University at Buffalo or the DO program at TouroCOM NY in the new Middletown campus.
For those that know about these 2 programs, which would you rather attend?
I'm from the Middletown NY area so I'm already familiar with the area.
However, UB is a more established program overall.
Anyone have any advice or info to help me along my decision making process?
Thank you!

I think my advice will be similar to everyone else's. Go to UB. not only is it an MD program but it's a state school and it'll be much cheaper than going to Touro. This decision should be a no brainer.

Reactions: 2 users
Listen, don't be drawn to UB just because it is an MD program. I am a long time lurker on this website, and I just had to make an account to respond to you! DO and MD residencies are becoming combined, so the "differences" between the two specialties will soon become barely noticeable.

I am going to be an MS1 at Touro-NY this upcoming fall. I absolutely loved it when I interviewed and think that it is a great school. I can't underestimate what it means to me to be able to go to a school close to home. Most of my friends that I talked to that did attend out of state schools told me they would have done it differently if they had a chance.

Trust me, this is going to be a tougher decision than you think. Touro-Ny really has some great qualities. Good luck in your decision!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to do a competitive specialty choose the MD program

If you're not trolling...

UB. UB. UB.

UB. Not a tough decision. In this era of medicine after the top 5 or so the best school is the most affordable one. Additionally UB has been making all the right changed at the right time, and the city is really behind it. So not only is it affordable now but it's school that I think will continue to increase in value. Also, our match list this year was great, and our feedback from residencies continues to get better every year. Good luck!

Please go to UB and don't look back.

UB. Despite the merger, you will be much more competitive than at a DO despite the same step scores/ECs/etc. Prestige still matters somewhat for residency directors.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
MD hands down. There might be some wide eyed pre meds out there who'll tell you it doesn't matter between do and md, but the reality is that getting competitive residencies from do is extremely difficult. Many places explicitly state they dont even look at your app if you're do.

UB all the way. Don't go DO. Very hard to match into competitive programs. Don't take my word for it. Look at Charting Outcomes.

I'm going to say go to Touro because I have a friend on UB's waitlist and he really wants to go there.

Thanks everyone for all your input! If anyone has further info on these two schools, and any good links to DO vs MD match rates, it would be appreciated. Thanks again!

Thanks everyone for all your input! If anyone has further info on these two schools, and any good links to DO vs MD match rates, it would be appreciated. Thanks again!

Lots of top tier residencies (mid tiers too) explicitly state that they do not accept DO applications. US MD grads only. That's pretty much all you need to know.

1097/17487 US MD graduates who didn't match vs. 658/2677 DO graduates who didn't match to ACGME residencies (2013). If you include AOA residencies, the DO match rate is much higher. That said, go to the MD school; even though DOs are capable of some good opportunities, they have to work much harder for them.

My brother attended one and I am a matriculant at the other. So I'm WELL familiar. UB is cheaper, more prestigious, better, will be much easier to match into ROAD specialities with, but is in a terrible location compared to Touro. The only reason to attend Touro would be if you're out of state and are sure that you would like a comparatively non-competitive specialty, or you're in-state, can live at home to attend Touro, and would like a non-competitive speciality. Even with the above scenarios, UB should be slightly preferred, but at least Touro would be an understandable choice. All other scenarios would make UB the clear winner.