University at Buffalo Pharmacy C/O 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi for those who attend University of Buffalo, how challenging is the curriculum and program? How difficult is it to keep the GPA requirement?

The program is a doctorate program so it will definitely be more challenging than undergrad. The GPA requirement is not difficult to maintain. As long as you have decent time management and allow time for schoolwork, the GPA requirement should not be a problem. Many students, including myself, are also interning alongside school and are able to keep up with work, though I only work a few hours a week.

Time management is key. As long as you are not out partying every other night, you should be good.

Members don't see this ad :)
when is the last day to withdraw if we already made our deposit?

Reactions: 1 user
TLDR: It is a good school and bad market.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I recently received my acceptance letter to UB SPPS and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for on or off campus housing.

Thanks!

Congrats on your acceptance!

Off campus housing is very affordable and much cheaper than campus housing. Most students, including myself, find houses on Craigslist and rent. You can also look here: http://subboard.com/och/

Congratulations! If you live far from Buffalo but are willing to come and visit here, I recommend scheduling multiple house viewing on the same day or two and coming here to check them out before signing and moving in. I did that and I'm glad I did because most of the houses look nothing like how they look, online.
Good Luck!

Hi everyone,

I recently received my acceptance letter to UB SPPS and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for on or off campus housing.

Thanks!

There will be 9 schools in NYS by 2017: Buffalo, Daemen, DYouville, Stony Brook, Binghamton, LIU, ACPHS (which also has a satellite in Vermont), St John's, and Touro. Buffalo, Daemen and DYouville are within a 15 mile radius according to Google Maps. There are grumblings about Wegman's and Top's supermarkets closing their pharmacies in the near future. The major retail chains are not expanding either. The last time I've been to Buffalo was about 15 years ago, and it seemed like a worse city than where I've lived my entire life, Baltimore. Maybe things have changed since then but that's besides the point. There is just no need for 3 pharmacy schools graduating a total of 300-500 students per year in a 15 mile radius. I doubt there are close to even 100 openings per year in that state alone, but I could be wrong.

I just got accepted to this school. Do the graduates have trouble finding a job in the area?

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

There will be 9 schools in NYS by 2017: Buffalo, Daemen, DYouville, Stony Brook, Binghamton, LIU, ACPHS (which also has a satellite in Vermont), St John's, and Touro.
Don't forget St. John Fisher College Wegmans School of Pharmacy.
That makes 10 in NY!
Plus UB+D'Youville are a mere 75 miles from SJFC.
trouble finding a job in the area?
Job? You gotta find enough rotations first.

Last edited:
Hello,
I'm currently a 3rd year student in the PharmD program. Let me know if you have any questions about the school, application process, etc!

Could you shed some light on how difficult it is to make, let's say, a 3.5+ gpa at UB? How much do you study and what is your gpa? Is it hard right now for the p1s to find paid intern positions? Is it hard for the recent graduates to find a job?

Does UB send a letter in the mail with your UBIT name and other info after they accept you? Or do they only communicate with you via email?

If they send a letter, how soon after you're accepted and pay your deposit do they send it?

Could you shed some light on how difficult it is to make, let's say, a 3.5+ gpa at UB? How much do you study and what is your gpa? Is it hard right now for the p1s to find paid intern positions? Is it hard for the recent graduates to find a job?

Sorry for my slightly late reply!

To answer your first question, I think it is quite possible to make a 3.5 GPA. It is slightly hard to judge as it really depends on how you grasp the material and the workload. Some struggle with the material more than others. For me, for sure school was very stressful and difficult. I studied (almost) every day after I came home from school until about 9/10pm to solidify my knowledge and found myself studying quite a lot for exams, devoting a lot of time on the weekends. I also worked part-time (~16 hours/week) but also left time for fun things on Friday's and the weekends. I was able to maintain about a ~3.8 and now I am in my 4th and final year. It is quite possible, but again I think it just depends on your dedication and how you find the material. I didn't find the material terribly difficult, but it was more the amount of material that you have to study I found hard.

It usually isn't difficult for P1s to find intern positions because every year there are students in those positions who move onto the 4th year / graduate. It may be slightly more competitive since there is another pharmacy school in the Buffalo area, but if you search enough you can definitely find something. Pretty much all of my friends were able to find intern positions around P1 year. It may not be in the most ideal location right next to your apartment, but they are there.

As far as new graduates, I have many friends who already have job offers in community pharmacies. It also depends on the area you want to be in since it may be a little tougher in the Buffalo area. My friends have had job offers from outside of Buffalo, in Buffalo and also out of state. If you want to work in an inpatient setting it is slightly different as you pretty much need to complete a PGY-1 residency program. UB does have a fairly high "matching" rate where graduates are matched to a residency program. The majority of graduates don't have issues findings jobs, entering a residency program or even fellowship programs in industry. For me, I just finished applying to residency programs so I am just waiting to see where I will match.

Feel free to post/message me if you have any other questions~!