University at Buffalo - SUNY

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pharmacopeia516

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone applying for Fall 2013?

Members don't see this ad.

Lol aww I'm thinking about applying there but I haven't yet added them. I've heard good things about Buffalo but I'm still debating whether or not if I should apply since I'm out of state.

Has your application been submitted and mailed out yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I'm definitely applying. Taking the PCAT next month, should be rounding up the rest of my application soonest. Whats your position?

Yay! Friends! I submitted to PharmCAS on the 23rd and submitted my supplemental on the 25th. I got an email from them saying they had received notification that I submitted my PharmCAS app, but I know I haven't had my GPA verified yet and it hasn't been mailed yet.

About the out-of-state thing, it seems that you'd only have to pay that rate for the first year - after that, you can apply for NY residency and get the in state tuition. According to some of the students, virtually everyone does this and gets the in state rate. Hoep that helps with your decision!

Hey, I'm definitely applying. Taking the PCAT next month, should be rounding up the rest of my application soonest. Whats your position?
Hi! Like i mentioned in post above - I'm submitted and waiting on verification from PharmCAS.

Good luck on the PCAT - I took it in July. It's tough - be sure to know alot of Bio concerning genetics and DNA/RNA transcription, NMR calculations and calculus! I was thrown by some of these and would have studied them more, but no one ever mentioned them in PCAT review threads before!

Keep us posted on how it goes for you and what your timeline looks like....

I applied to SUNY...submitted Pharmcas 8/15 and supplemental 8/30 but have not heard back yet

Same here, I submited supplemental about two weeks ago and am waiting to hear as well.
I have received an email letting me know they received my PharmCAS packet and they have entered all the info in the supplemental section of my PharmCAS page. Nothing regarding reviewing the app or interviews yet.

I have received an email letting me know they received my PharmCAS packet and they have entered all the info in the supplemental section of my PharmCAS page. Nothing regarding reviewing the app or interviews yet.

I wonder if interviews start in october or november

I wonder if interviews start in october or november

Not sure, but it looks like they don't have rolling admissions. In the confirmation email they sent me it says all applicants are considered equally.

Members don't see this ad :)
from what i remember it is rolling admissions. i'm not aware of any changes, but there really shouldn't be. i believe it's always been this way. if any of you have any questions, feel free to ask. i am a P1 now and i love it here!

from what i remember it is rolling admissions. i'm not aware of any changes, but there really shouldn't be. i believe it's always been this way. if any of you have any questions, feel free to ask. i am a P1 now and i love it here!

Great! Glad to hear and thanks for any input you can give us. 1 question regarding tuition...is it true if you're instate, P1 yr is only the price of undergraduate (roughly 6-8 thousand for the year)? and then the last 3 years are 22k or however much it is? if so thats pretty cheap for all 4 years. definitely wouldnt mind that!

it used to be like that, but i believe my year is the first year where all four years is at graduate tuition. i am paying about 22k for this year, it's a bit more expensive but still cheaper than a lot of schools

it used to be like that, but i believe my year is the first year where all four years is at graduate tuition. i am paying about 22k for this year, it's a bit more expensive but still cheaper than a lot of schools
how challenging are you finding the first year? Is the new building great? What do you wish you knew before you got into your first year?

I'm so excited we have a current student to hear from...thanks for checking in with us!

Also, some feedback on the interview process would be great....

Thanks!

I am also applying. However, I just realized I am missing a prerequisite. I already have a B.A. in psychology and I went back to get all the prerequisites but missed biochemistry. I have received an e mail from them about a supplemental which I have submitted. I am wondering if that will keep me from getting an interview?

I am also applying. However, I just realized I am missing a prerequisite. I already have a B.A. in psychology and I went back to get all the prerequisites but missed biochemistry. I have received an e mail from them about a supplemental which I have submitted. I am wondering if that will keep me from getting an interview?
No...not at all! I have 6 courses not completed. One is no big deal. Just make sure that you take it in Spring - all pre-requisites need to be completed before the summer 2013.

I applied too! Submitted some time in August, not sure what the date was. The last email I received from them was last week saying that all the prerequisites were complete.

Hello everyone!

I am a current first year student at University at Buffalo so if you have any questions about the application process or what Buffalo is like, please let me know. :)

Hello everyone!

I am a current first year student at University at Buffalo so if you have any questions about the application process or what Buffalo is like, please let me know. :)
Yes ! Please give us the details about the interview process, your impression of the first year so far and your thoughts on the living situation in the area. Thanks for being so willing to chat with us!

Interview at SUNY Buffalo 11/16 at 12:40 pm...just got an email today around 3pm!

Woo me too!!! :):):)
Are you going to be flying in from out of state or are you local?

I did not see this thread! Buffalo is my first choice. I really hope I make it! I still have a little bit before I finish PharmCAS.

Congrats on the interview!

And can you share your stats please? I wanna get a feel of where I'm at...

And can you share your stats please? I wanna get a feel of where I'm at...

Definitely! Bachelors degree, 89 composite pcat, 3.6 gpa cumulative, 3.6 science/math, 120 hours hospital pharmacy volunteer, 1.5 yrs research experience. what about you? This is a top choice for me as well

I'm a senior doing BA Chemistry. 98 Composite PCAT, 3.6 gpa cumulative, 3.6 gpa science. But next to no pharmacy experience. I'm only starting to volunteer at a hospital pharmacy now.

Mainly top choice for me because it's instate so it'll be cheaper than elsewhere...

I'm a senior doing BA Chemistry. 98 Composite PCAT, 3.6 gpa cumulative, 3.6 gpa science. But next to no pharmacy experience. I'm only starting to volunteer at a hospital pharmacy now.

Mainly top choice for me because it's instate so it'll be cheaper than elsewhere...

Wow awesome pcat score! gpa is great too, and the hospital pharmacy experience will look great anyway, even though your just starting because they see you will be getting involved. You'll def be getting an interview hands down.

Thanks! The thing about my PCAT score is that I did terrible in Verbal and RC, 68 and 60. lol... 99s in the others though. But thanks for the morale boost! I'm sure with your experience you'll definitely get in!

Congrats! When did you guys get your apps in?

I got mine in some time in August as well. I was so happy there werent' any essays for the supplemental!

Congrats! I'm in state, not near buffalo though so i will be driving up. Do you mind sharing your stats?

Sure! Finishing Biology BS and pharm prereqs this semester, 3.76 science GPA, 3.70 regular GPA, 82 PCAT (54 in quant...), ~150 pharmacy volunteer hours and counting, ~a year and a half of research in molecular biology.

What's the weather usually like over there in November? I live in California, so I want to make sure I'm prepared and I figure adivice from a native would be best!

interview invite here as well! :) see you all on the 16th! got the email friday and i've definitely been on cloud nine these past few days! I'll be flying in from California too (!) so please, any insight into weather would be greatly appreciated! I don't think my suit would suffice in the cold weather I'm anticipating...

Are you guys thinking about flying in the day before or even earlier than that?!

interview invite here as well! :) see you all on the 16th! got the email friday and i've definitely been on cloud nine these past few days! I'll be flying in from California too (!) so please, any insight into weather would be greatly appreciated! I don't think my suit would suffice in the cold weather I'm anticipating...

Are you guys thinking about flying in the day before or even earlier than that?!
Congratulations on your interview! Definitely will be cold, probably between 35-45 degrees. A wool coat would probably be enough, but if you're not used to cold weather a scarf may be in order. lol....

Sure! Finishing Biology BS and pharm prereqs this semester, 3.76 science GPA, 3.70 regular GPA, 82 PCAT (54 in quant...), ~150 pharmacy volunteer hours and counting, ~a year and a half of research in molecular biology.

Wow, awesome stats as well!

What's the weather usually like over there in November? I live in California, so I want to make sure I'm prepared and I figure adivice from a native would be best![/QUOTE]

Weather will probably be in the 30-40s as state above. It will definitely be much colder than what you're used to in California thats for sure.

Congrats! Do you mind sharing your stats as well? I will be arriving the day before and staying in a hotel just so it is less hectic the day before the interview. Good thing is the interview won't begin until 12:40pm, which is better than an early one at like 8-9 am

Congratulations on your interview! Definitely will be cold, probably between 35-45 degrees. A wool coat would probably be enough, but if you're not used to cold weather a scarf may be in order. lol....

Thanks for the info! :) The suit I bought is wool on the inside..but I still don't think its enough for that type of weather! LOL. I think I will definitely need a scarf....and leggings. Do you know if its going to be open or closed file? Any insight into the interview process would be great! :)

Congrats! Do you mind sharing your stats as well? I will be arriving the day before and staying in a hotel just so it is less hectic the day before the interview. Good thing is the interview won't begin until 12:40pm, which is better than an early one at like 8-9 am

Sure! I have a 3.8 science/cum and a 97 PCAT score (but I did score in the low fifties in the verbal section.... :oops:) I had no pharmacy experiences when I applied but I'm currently working (paid! :) ) as a assistant as a compounding pharmacy right now. I had two years of research and about two years of interning at a clinic (~350 hours..).

And same here. I think I'm going to arrive the day before so I can rest before the interview. And thank god its in the afternoon. Gives me time to compose myself! My other interviews are at like 8 in the morning...

Yep same here, flying out thursday morning and arriving thursday evening. I'm SO happy it doesn't start till afternoon, that will be like a decent morning hour for my internal California clock haha.

30's doesn't sound too bad, but I don't have any formal-type coats that I could wear over my suit so I'll just have to throw on a thermal underneath my dress shirt or something...and maybe bust out my long johns :cool:

Yes ! Please give us the details about the interview process, your impression of the first year so far and your thoughts on the living situation in the area. Thanks for being so willing to chat with us!

Overall, during the interview, they want to assess your communication skills and motivation in pharmacy. They asked questions related to which areas of pharmacy you might be most interested in, opinions on current pharmacy issues and things like that. They want to see that you are very motivated, especially the patient care aspect which has recently been a very large aspect of working in pharmacy practice. They also do a group exercise where you are presented with an issue and work on a solution in groups.

I really like UB so far! It seems like the professors really would like to motivate students to be the best they can. While it is very challenging compared with undergrad, it is manageable so far. UB also gives you many opportunities to explore many different areas of pharmacy: community, inpatient, long-term care and even research. I really like this aspect because I'm not entirely sure which I would like to go into.

Although I'm originally from Buffalo, being away for undergrad made me appreciate the area a lot more! There is definitely a lot to do, and UB has plenty of events, concerts etc. Also we are just 30min from Niagara Falls and 1.5 hours from Toronto! The weather isn't as bad as many make it out to be. We've had very mild winters the past few years!

Hey, I am a current P1 student so I can help you with any questions! The first interview date will be November 16. UB will hold interviews and send out acceptance letters from November - August.

Hey, I am a current P1 student so I can help you with any questions! The first interview date will be November 16. UB will hold interviews and send out acceptance letters from November - August.

Thanks for sharing! Just wondering how many students are usually at the interview for the first session?

Thanks for sharing! Just wondering how many students are usually at the interview for the first session?

I was at the first interview session last November and I'd say there were about 25~ students there.

Yay! Friends! I submitted to PharmCAS on the 23rd and submitted my supplemental on the 25th. I got an email from them saying they had received notification that I submitted my PharmCAS app, but I know I haven't had my GPA verified yet and it hasn't been mailed yet.

About the out-of-state thing, it seems that you'd only have to pay that rate for the first year - after that, you can apply for NY residency and get the in state tuition. According to some of the students, virtually everyone does this and gets the in state rate. Hoep that helps with your decision!

Lots of students get residency after their P1 Year. Check out the NYS Residency Requirements for help: http://studentaccounts.buffalo.edu/policies/residency.php

I was at the first interview session last November and I'd say there were about 25~ students there.

Yes, I think there were around 25 at mine as well. It really isn't bad at all. You get a lot of extra information about the school when you go and you all will get to see the new building too!

Yes, I think there were around 25 at mine as well. It really isn't bad at all. You get a lot of extra information about the school when you go and you all will get to see the new building too!

I looked up the new building on the south campus and it looks nice! just wondering, do most students choose to live near the north campus or in the amherst area? Or do you recommend more towards the city near the south campus?

I just got an interview offer for 11/16! See you all there! Woo hoo!!!!

I looked up the new building on the south campus and it looks nice! just wondering, do most students choose to live near the north campus or in the amherst area? Or do you recommend more towards the city near the south campus?

I would say many students live in the area in between the north and south campuses (amherst) or on North. This is convenient because the area is nice and rent is still fairly cheap. As you get closer to the city/south though, you just have to be cautious of the neighborhood you choose. Many students do live around the south area as well, but I would recommend Amherst. (i live in east amherst)

The new building is really great!

I would say many students live in the area in between the north and south campuses (amherst) or on North. This is convenient because the area is nice and rent is still fairly cheap. As you get closer to the city/south though, you just have to be cautious of the neighborhood you choose. Many students do live around the south area as well, but I would recommend Amherst. (i live in east amherst)

The new building is really great!
That's good information to know..thanks! I was wondering if you could tell me dress code for classes? Is it business or business casual every day?

anyone flying into BUF airport that friday 11/16 morning around 11:45am? what's the cheapest way to get from BUF to the campus?

Last edited: