University based IM Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PractorGamble

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Guys I just got accepted into a DO school that is fairly new.

Provided I get excellent Step scores and some research experience, how critical is it that I'm graduating from a new DO school. I'm not really geographically limited as long as the program is solid. My goal is to go on a fellowship later on so it's important to me that I can get into the most reputable IM program as I can...

Looking at the match list of the previous classes, the places they matched wasn't all that impressive. There were a couple of University or University-affiliated IM programs, but not much.

I know the match list is fairly personal and I shouldn't judge a school by solely on that, but I'm concerned that the lack of name value the school brings will prevent me from matching into mid-tier University IM programs.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm aware that there are Uni IM programs friendly for DOs..

But it seems like most of those are from reputable DO schools...not those that are fairly new..

I'm wondering if the DO school name will have big impact in me matching into competitive IM programs.

Members don't see this ad :)

But it seems like most of those are from reputable DO schools...not those that are fairly new..

I'm wondering if the DO school name will have big impact in me matching into competitive IM programs.

If you get good USMLE scores, do electives at university programs and get good LORs, and you have research, you should be fine. The DO school you attend has little impact in your ability to match ACGME, with the exception of the ease of setting up rotations at such institutions, depending on the connections your school has/location. Just aim to do the best throughout med school. If you're successful matching a solid academic IM program should be possible.

Reactions: 1 users

Competitive is a subjective term here. Do you mean IM at BWH, MGH, NYP, NYU, Stanford? If so then it will very hard to land those simply because they are extremely competitive even for MD graduates.

Last edited:
As long as you do well in school and on your USMLE you should have no problem matching into a mid-tier university IM program as there are many that are DO-friendly and have great fellowship matches. It will not matter very much that you are from a newer school save for regional biases toward some of the more established schools. You should not be concerned about that right now. Work hard and focus on building a competitive application at this point.

Reactions: 1 user
I believe as a generalization most ACGME programs look at DO students as a collective group with little distinction between schools. This is a generalization but one I have found to be true for most people I know and places I interviewed. Rock Step 1 and get good letters, make it as hard as possible for them not to want to take you and you'll be fine.

I believe as a generalization most ACGME programs look at DO students as a collective group with little distinction between schools. This is a generalization but one I have found to be true for most people I know and places I interviewed. Rock Step 1 and get good letters, make it as hard as possible for them not to want to take you and you'll be fine.
I have heard this too. Obviously some ACGME programs have relationships built with some local DO schools (KU med with KCU, PCOM with some of the hospitals in phili, CCOM with Chicago, etc), but overall it doesnt terribly matter. What matters, as hallow pointed out above, is the fact that some schools make it easier (or less inhibitory) for you to do electives at some of the ACGME places that you may be eyeing. THAT is the bigger difference between DO schools generally speaking.

I ask because some established DO schools churned out impressive match list. Is this more because of the caliber of students matriculating to said schools? It's funny because entrance stats for those schools aren't that high. I guess GPA/MCAT really has little bearing in terms of what you can get on the Steps?

Members don't see this ad :)
The official name is still KCUMB (Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences). KCU is a rebranding effort given the cumbersome acronym and constant confusion with UMKC. They didn't (and couldn't for various reasons) change the actual name of the school.

The official name is still KCUMB (Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences). KCU is a rebranding effort given the cumbersome acronym and constant confusion with UMKC. They didn't (and couldn't for various reasons) change the actual name of the school.

Copyright reasons? Accreditation reasons?

Copyright reasons? Accreditation reasons?
Full disclosure: I asked my adviser why they didn't just change the official name. He said there have been multiple schools which have tried to use the name Kansas City University and haven't been able to do so for "various reasons." My curiosity had waned by this point and I didn't ask him to expand on his vague response. My bad.

Competitive is a subjective term here. Do you mean IM at BYU, MGH, NYP, NYU, Stanford? If so then it will very hard to land those simply because they are extremely competitive even for MD graduates.

I think you mean a different Brigham than Brigham Young...

Reactions: 3 users
Oh. Well I like the change. Somehow it seems more stately and elegant, from a marketing persepective.

Check out the new swag:

alteredwallpaper1.jpg

Why are they the only smart ones to rebrand their school "of medicine" instead of "osteopathic medicine"? Wish more DO schools would do this.

Unless they've changed them in the last year or so, OSU's white coat's had the OSU logo on them and then the word Medicine underneath them.

Contrast with WCU white coats which are embroidered First Last, OMS on the chest

I've seen LECOM promo materials (pens and the like) that say School of Medicine on them... which is weird because LECOM strikes me as one of the more DO-purist schools.

I've seen LECOM promo materials (pens and the like) that say School of Medicine on them... which is weird because LECOM strikes me as one of the more DO-purist schools.

As in "Lake Erie College of Medicine"? Or LECOM School of Medicine?

To be honest i'm not sure why DO schools don't just say they're "Colleges of Medicine" and then say we study "Osteopathic Medicine" specifically.

Reactions: 1 user
As in "Lake Erie College of Medicine"? Or LECOM School of Medicine?

To be honest i'm not sure why DO schools don't just say they're "Colleges of Medicine" and then say we study "Osteopathic Medicine" specifically.

"LECOM College of Medicine" refers specifically to the medical (i.e. DO) program at LECOM, whereas Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine is the entire entity, including the School of Pharmacy, College of Medicine, School of Dental Medicine, and School of Graduate Studies. So LECOM College of Medicine is technically our medical school.

I think I read somewhere about DO schools being required to have Osteopathic in their names. Don't remember where, but it was probably something from COCA or the AOA.

Also, LECOM definitely leans more towards the traditional osteopathic side of things. Them, POMA, the ACOFP, and, to a more neutral/undecided degree, PCOM were on the side of opposing the merger and pushing that SaveOGME movement, alongside some other schools.

"LECOM College of Medicine" refers specifically to the medical (i.e. DO) program at LECOM, whereas Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine is the entire entity, including the School of Pharmacy, College of Medicine, School of Dental Medicine, and School of Graduate Studies. So LECOM College of Medicine is technically our medical school.

I think I read somewhere about DO schools being required to have Osteopathic in their names. Don't remember where, but it was probably something from COCA or the AOA.

Also, LECOM definitely leans more towards the traditional osteopathic side of things. Them, POMA, the ACOFP, and, to a more neutral/undecided degree, PCOM were on the side of opposing the merger and pushing that SaveOGME movement, alongside some other schools.

I wonder if this has to do with having a big OPTI network. I know alot of AOA PD's were afraid of losing their jobs.

Also I used to think that saying "college of medicine" would be against COCA regs or something too, but KCU seems to be the only COM going against the grain here.

I wonder if this has to do with having a big OPTI network. I know alot of AOA PD's were afraid of losing their jobs.

Also I used to think that saying "college of medicine" would be against COCA regs or something too, but KCU seems to be the only COM going against the grain here.

The biggest people who were afraid seemed to be the ACOFP reps/PDs - although I met some PDs from LECOM-T and PCOM MEDNet that seemed like they didn't care one way or the other. Schools on another level were afraid because of fears that it would eventually lead to changes in their accreditation.

I really think the biggest factors come down to (1) DO culture in the state/region and (2) where schools send most of their students for residency. PA has a huge DO population and POMA has big sway and incentive when it comes to keeping DO "distinctiveness" alive. After all they are the ones who blatantly support the requirement for AOA TRI or equivalent training of all DOs to get licensed (despite the fact that most other states have dropped that requirement - only 4 now).

In addition, the schools that send their students primarily to ACGME programs for whatever reason, lack of many AOA programs around, lack of a good sized OPTI, etc., seemed to be more on the side of just moving along with it, because it wouldn't change a significant part of their year to year functioning. They're already training their students to apply ACGME, take the USMLE, etc.