University Jagiellonski/ Jagiellonian

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biscuitbitty

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I havent seen a recent thread on the english medical program at UJ, does anyone have any insight into the difficulty of getting into a residency program in the US/Canada after attending there?

Ive read a couple of different forums who said that the program there is weak compared to the polish speaking program and that english students are basically laughed at because everything is dumbed down for them.

I am a non traditional applicant, Ive been working in the environmental health/occupational health (OSHA stuff not medical) field for about 4 years, I am a volunteer firefighter and my BS GPA is a 3.0. I took my pre reqs like 6 years ago and I dont expect my mcat grade to be stellar. My mother immigrated from Poland when she was 24 from a small farming village near Bialystok. I speak Polish, but not fluently.

Im interested in studying in Poland to learn more about my heritage, the low cost of tuition (I want to volunteer abroad after residency) and quite frankly, Im not sure I would get into a decent US/Canada school.

I am concerned about the quality of the program, I dont want to waste my time at a school where Im not going to learn anything and wont get matched anywhere. Is it better to apply to low tier medical schools in the US than a good medical school in eastern europe?

Members don't see this ad.

If you want to complete a US residency and/or practice in the US after residency, you should do whatever you need to do to go to a US medical school.

Reasons why are all over SDN as well in the statistics published by the NRMP.