University of Arizona c/o 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I will be as soon as my application opens up for pharmcas. I did early admissions to Kentucky... Yeah dont do that I am bound to that school until they release the results of early admission (OCT 19)

I will. This is the only non-pharmcas school I'm applying to, but I figure it will be worth it. The only thing I'm worried about is that AZ heat. If I interview in February and it's already 95 degrees out it might scare me a little bit

Members don't see this ad :)
I will. This is the only non-pharmcas school I'm applying to, but I figure it will be worth it. The only thing I'm worried about is that AZ heat. If I interview in February and it's already 95 degrees out it might scare me a little bit

It won't be 95 in february :) feb has awesome weather!

It won't be 95 in february :) feb has awesome weather!

It's true. If it were Phoenix you might have to worry about the heat in February, but it's still pretty chilly in Tucson.

Must not be a popular destination this year.

Just wondering if anyone knows about residency reclassification for tuition purposes...if you're an out of state student, can you claim residency after your first year and receive in-state tuition??

Just wondering if anyone knows about residency reclassification for tuition purposes...if you're an out of state student, can you claim residency after your first year and receive in-state tuition??

There were some in my class that were able to do this. I recommend emailing the admissions staff. They are better equipped to answer your question.

I submitted my application about 2 weeks ago - Bear Down!

It's true. If it were Phoenix you might have to worry about the heat in February, but it's still pretty chilly in Tucson.

The University of Arizona school of pharmacy is located in Phoenix right? That's what google says.

The University of Arizona school of pharmacy is located in Phoenix right? That's what google says.

We are in Tucson. There is a medical school campus in Phoenix and the college of pharmacy does some research, admin out of there...although I heard rumors about expansion. Not sure if that's going to happen or not. I am not privy to that kind of info :D

Sent from my DROID3 using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
I am having trouble finding residency placement statistics with exception to the class of 2012 residency placement. Can any current students elaborate (if any are out there) about how many students gain residencies each year?

For the PharmD/PhD program, it states that the student takes a slightly different class track during their PharmD, and then apply for the PhD program in their 4th year. Does that mean you get your PharmD, do your rotations, and start of year 5 is the first year of research onto your PhD?

I am having trouble finding residency placement statistics with exception to the class of 2012 residency placement. Can any current students elaborate (if any are out there) about how many students gain residencies each year?

For the PharmD/PhD program, it states that the student takes a slightly different class track during their PharmD, and then apply for the PhD program in their 4th year. Does that mean you get your PharmD, do your rotations, and start of year 5 is the first year of research onto your PhD?

It's hard to determine residency statistics because students aren't required to tell the school if they matched or not, or if they entered the match at all. I can tell you that from those I know of who have applied to residencies, the stats are pretty darn good.

As for PharmD/PhD, it varies by track. But for the pharm/tox, clinical research, drug design, you take graduate sections of pharmacology, med chem, and kinetics. They each require a paper and/or a harder exam. You take electives while in the PharmD program to reduce the overall time to finish your PhD. Those you officially apply in your fourth year and finish any remaining courses and finish research or start research if you haven't already.

For pharmacoeconomics, the track is quite different.

Are there pharmacoeconomics electives that you can take just as a regular PharmD? While I don't necessarily intend on pursuing that as a career goal, it seems like a very interesting aspect of pharmacy at the moment

Are there pharmacoeconomics electives that you can take just as a regular PharmD? While I don't necessarily intend on pursuing that as a career goal, it seems like a very interesting aspect of pharmacy at the moment

Yes. There are certain ones you can take. :)

I honestly don't know that much about it but I've heard positive things about the entrepreneurial class and business law.

There are some students doing the PharmD/MPH as well.

Nice! thanks. Do you think there are more and/or better opportunities for those that graduate with the PharmD/MBA vs. PharmD/MPH?

Nice! thanks. Do you think there are more and/or better opportunities for those that graduate with the PharmD/MBA vs. PharmD/MPH?

It really depends on the direction you want to go with it. There are plenty of opportunities in school to distinguish yourself. I think the skills and networking in the dual programs can definitely open up doors for you.

UA is very clinically oriented correct? Where do most students do their hospital rotations? How many rotations are done after the third year (6,7,8)?

UA is very clinically oriented correct? Where do most students do their hospital rotations? How many rotations are done after the third year (6,7,8)?

IMO, yes. It's clinically oriented but you still get a lot of exposure to community practice. I would say the professors encourage students in either direction about the same.

There are 8 rotation blocks. You have to do 7 rotations and an 8th is optional. Hospital rotations are done all over the state and out of state. Lots are at the UMC, which is right next door, but there are other hospitals in Tucson that precept students. You can also do rotations in Phoenix; there are lots of hospitals up there like Banner and MD Anderson, Mayo Clinic, the county hospital, VA, and others. We have rural and IHS locations as well.

That's my interest.

What specifically interests you?

The management/administrative side of healthcare and especially in pharmacy.

I have an interest in the clinical/patient care aspect of pharmacy of course, which is why I chose to study something that would allow me to be trained as a health professional and not a business manager/administrator/policy-maker, but I want to have the opportunity to work as both a healthcare professional in the clinical setting and get into the business/policy side of the pharmacy profession.

In short, I want to spend time working in the clinical setting with patients and healthcare professionals and also have the chance to get involved in healthcare policy and pharmacy business administration.

I know I'm weird and slightly naive. :D

I just applied this weekend! This is one of my top tier schools, the UofA program is one of the best in the nation and it is a lot cheaper than midwestern.

-
Arizona State University 2014' Biochemistry

I kind of feel the same way. Pharmacy is unique cause it allows one to branch off in many fields, especially business.

I'm still not sure if I want to pursue a dual-degree yet. It's a lot of school haha.

The management/administrative side of healthcare and especially in pharmacy.

I have an interest in the clinical/patient care aspect of pharmacy of course, which is why I chose to study something that would allow me to be trained as a health professional and not a business manager/administrator/policy-maker, but I want to have the opportunity to work as both a healthcare professional in the clinical setting and get into the business/policy side of the pharmacy profession.

In short, I want to spend time working in the clinical setting with patients and healthcare professionals and also have the chance to get involved in healthcare policy and pharmacy business administration.

I know I'm weird and slightly naive. :D

I meant to post a reply to this. Lol still new to this.

I kind of feel the same way. Pharmacy is unique cause it allows one to branch off in many fields, especially business.

I'm still not sure if I want to pursue a dual-degree yet. It's a lot of school haha.

I meant to post a reply to this. Lol still new to this.

At this point, an extra year or two ain't bad. :)

Application review process is underway. Good-luck to the lurkers and posters!

If possible, can you compare Midwestern Glendale to University of Arizona in any aspect?

If possible, can you compare Midwestern Glendale to University of Arizona in any aspect?

I'm an applicant just like you, so I wouldn't be great at giving you curriculum type comparisons/analysis.

However with regards to:
*Cost; UA-About 24K/year vs. MWU-About 47K/year

*Facilities; UA has some of the newest and best facilities any pharmacy school has to offer along with a large university system for research, academic needs, and resources

*Faculty; Not sure about MWU, but UA COP has some very well-established professors and instructors involved and the research faculty are top-notch.

*Living; I'm a Tucson native, so I'm probably biased, but I would hate to be stuck out in Glendale and have to drive quit a distance to get to really nice/established places. Tucson is a city with 1 million + people, but has a college town feel. The UA is situated perfectly in the city and it's a great place to spend 4 (or more) years

Just a few points.

I'm an applicant just like you, so I wouldn't be great at giving you curriculum type comparisons/analysis.

However with regards to:
*Cost; UA-About 24K/year vs. MWU-About 47K/year

*Facilities; UA has some of the newest and best facilities any pharmacy school has to offer along with a large university system for research, academic needs, and resources

*Faculty; Not sure about MWU, but UA COP has some very well-established professors and instructors involved and the research faculty are top-notch.

*Living; I'm a Tucson native, so I'm probably biased, but I would hate to be stuck out in Glendale and have to drive quit a distance to get to really nice/established places. Tucson is a city with 1 million + people, but has a college town feel. The UA is situated perfectly in the city and it's a great place to spend 4 (or more) years

Just a few points.

Agree with all of the above.

Agree with all of the above.

I should have added that MWU has a 3-year year-round program, while UA is the "traditional" 4-program.

Anyone know when interview invites go out? Should be beginning of January, correct?

I should have added that MWU has a 3-year year-round program, while UA is the "traditional" 4-program.

Anyone know when interview invites go out? Should be beginning of January, correct?

Last year and I believe the year before that they went out in the evening of Dec 31st

Would anyone mind sharing their stats/experience?

Just checked my application status and it is now saying it is under consideration.

Just a very quiet group this time around.

Not much to talk about until interviews go out.

Everyone (those that filled their app correctly at least) is going through the "Application is under consideration" phase, so we'll see more life soon I bet. :)

Hi everyone, I recently decided to join SDN and hopefully make this thread more exciting :p. My application status is under consideration so I am trying to refrain myself from constantly refreshing my status page. I know interview invites probably won't be out until the end of this month but I can't help it!

Hope everyone is having a Merry Christmas ^^.

Hi everyone, I recently decided to join SDN and hopefully make this thread more exciting :p. My application status is under consideration so I am trying to refrain myself from constantly refreshing my status page. I know interview invites probably won't be out until the end of this month but I can't help it!

Hope everyone is having a Merry Christmas ^^.

You and I both :D

Just found this thread. I only applied to University of Arizona. Application is currently under consideration and I'm anxious/excited :)

How many schools did everyone apply to?

Hope you had a great Christmas! :)

Just found this thread. I only applied to University of Arizona. Application is currently under consideration and I'm anxious/excited :)

How many schools did everyone apply to?

Hope you had a great Christmas! :)

Haha, thanks! I had a great christmas, stuffing myself with mashed potatoes and ham. YUM.

I applied to 5 schools, campbell, washington state, midwestern chicago, and midwestern glendale, and u of a!

My top choice is UofA tho haha. I'm guessing you're a pre-pharmacy major at UofA?

Haha, thanks! I had a great christmas, stuffing myself with mashed potatoes and ham. YUM.

I applied to 5 schools, campbell, washington state, midwestern chicago, and midwestern glendale, and u of a!

My top choice is UofA tho haha. I'm guessing you're a pre-pharmacy major at UofA?

5 schools! That's exciting! Have you heard back from any of them yet?

I am pre-pharm at UofA and not in a position to move at the moment. So for now its UofA or bust! lol