University of Arizona (entering 2014)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HobbitJane

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Background:
Hello,
I will be applying to the the U of A College of Pharmacy this autumn with the hope of matriculating in the Fall of 2014. My problem is that I am unsure about what steps to take as far as satisfying the General Biology II requirement. I have IB credit for BIO 187 (a.k.a BIO 182- ecology based biology) and the U of A does not accept IB credit for science classes, so I decided that I would use General Genetics as my substitute. Lo and behold, 1 year after taking the class and a series of informative emails between me and the recruiting administrator, my 4-unit Genetics class cannot be used because it does not contain a lab component, just lecture and recitation.

My questions:
1) Knowing that upper division chemistry and biology classes can be used as alternates for lower division sciences courses (as per the U of A C.O.P. website), would BCH 361&367 (Biochemistry lecture and lab) be accepted or does the institution not accept BCH?

2) If biochemistry proves to not be acceptable what other upper division biology courses with a lab would you suggest to take that won't kill my GPA?

3) Should I complete all of my prerequisites prior to interview season (the spring of 2014) or interview with a missing prerequisite but higher GPA?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
All you need is the bio with lab and an additional lab science (I took marine biology but you could take geology, astronomy, whatever as long as it has a lab). You could take it at the community college and it won't matter. I'd take the bio in the fall and an "easier" lab science in the spring (interview season). Does your physics II have a lab? If so, that counts as your additional science. UA only requires Physics I.

All you need is the bio with lab and an additional lab science (I took marine biology but you could take geology, astronomy, whatever as long as it has a lab). You could take it at the community college and it won't matter. I'd take the bio in the fall and an "easier" lab science in the spring (interview season). Does your physics II have a lab? If so, that counts as your additional science. UA only requires Physics I.

Thank you for replying. I’'m using Physics II (w/lab) as my additional science since it is required for my degree program anyway. I don’t think ASU will allow me to take BIO 182 because I already have the IB credit on my transcript. They may consider it double dipping, if I ask them to toss the credit out. I entertained the idea of taking BIO 182 at a community college while concurrently attending ASU my senior year, but that would put me at 19-20 credits in the fall (scholarship policy of at least 15 credits). With a new job, filling out admissions applications, the cadaver class, and volunteering, I do not think I can do 19-20 credit hours. I don’t mean to sound like I’m complaining, but I’m trying to keep my GPA as competitive as possible. I have 9 free elective hours before graduation, so I am looking for an upper division biology course (300 level) accompanied by a lab to substitute the BIO 182 class that is out of my reach. My cadaver class is only three credits and so are cell biology and many other biology classes at ASU. :(
I was considering Natural History of Arizona (BIO 300 and 301), but I'm not sure if it sounds rigorous enough.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Take 182 at a CC in the Spring.

You sound like a shoo-in anyways. =)

Take 182 at a CC in the Spring.

You sound like a shoo-in anyways. =)

Agreed.

OP, take it at CC in Spring.

You'll also need to get over being a Sun Devil in the next year. This is Wildcat country. I, too, was a sad little Sun Devil from ASWho but I've repented. You can too.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks guys :)
*Update*
Good news: I guess U of A will take Biochemistry as a substitute for General Biology II and my scholarship renewal requirements no longer apply since I am a senior; therefore, the 19 credit course load will not be necessary.

I'll still post my stats after the September PCAT. Is anyone planning on applying to this school? I hear an echo lol.

Last edited:
I am also planning to apply for the Fall 2014 cycle, but was wondering if anyone had an opinion on if I should re-take the PCAT in September in order to get into this school. My practice PCAT's we're usually always above 85, but on the actual PCAT my preliminary score report was a 76 percentile rank and a 414 scaled score.

Degree: Physiology BS from U of A
GPA: 3.69
Minor: Mathematics
Notable Extracurricular: published 2 papers as first co-author in Microbiology research, and 1 abstract as first co-author in Neonatology research.

Worth it to re-take the PCAT in september?

I am also planning to apply for the Fall 2014 cycle, but was wondering if anyone had an opinion on if I should re-take the PCAT in September in order to get into this school. My practice PCAT's we're usually always above 85, but on the actual PCAT my preliminary score report was a 76 percentile rank and a 414 scaled score.

Notable Extracurricular: published 2 papers as first co-author in Microbiology research, and 1 abstract as first co-author in Neonatology research.

I wouldn't retake it. But that's just my opinion cause I was accepted for class of 2017 with a similar GPA and 59 PCAT composite. I think a 76 is a very reasonable composite score if you look at the Average PCAT Composite Score on UofA's website 68.6 (range 27-98). I don't think they weigh the PCAT scores very heavily. I think they more focus on your academics/experience/personality.

Good luck!

do not retake

I wouldn't retake it. But that's just my opinion cause I was accepted for class of 2017 with a similar GPA and 59 PCAT composite. I think a 76 is a very reasonable composite score if you look at the Average PCAT Composite Score on UofA's website 68.6 (range 27-98). I don't think they weigh the PCAT scores very heavily. I think they more focus on your academics/experience/personality.

Good luck!

When it comes to the PCAT, they focus on chem/bio sub-scores mostly.

The application has opened up. Anybody applying? :)

The application has opened up. Anybody applying? :)
Yes I'm about finished with my application. I just need to start harassing some pharmacists i shadowed and worked with at the Hospital for LOR. I also need to take my PCAT in October, and hopefully i can get into UA. Are you applying anywhere else?

(applying to UA and Midwestern)

Yes I'm about finished with my application. I just need to start harassing some pharmacists i shadowed and worked with at the Hospital for LOR. I also need to take my PCAT in October, and hopefully i can get into UA. Are you applying anywhere else?

(applying to UA and Midwestern)

Ah, I haven't even started writing my essays, but I've finished the other parts of the application. I'm still finishing up other applications. Did you work at the UMC?

I applied to a couple of other schools besides UA and Midwestern. UA is definitely my #1, but you can never be too sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone submitted and heard anything back? Or does Arizona not have rolling admissions?

I took PCAT twice. The first time I took it I got over 81 on chemistry section with 70 composite (22 on verbal). However the second time I took it I got 78 on chemistry and 84 composite (68 on verbal). The hint on PCAT section says "If you have taken the PCAT exam more than once, enter the scores from the exam date that you had the best PCAT Chemistry score." Should I post the first one because of the chemistry grade? Or should I post the second one because it has much higher composite score?

I have no idea. This is a question you should ask the admissions committee. Now that it's due today, I don't know if they'd be able to reply in time. =/

I submitted mine already but the admission committee allowed me to change it! :) Thanks! Do you know how many people submitted the application?

I submitted mine already but the admission committee allowed me to change it! :) Thanks! Do you know how many people submitted the application?
Looking from last year, they received around 200 applications, so I'm going to guess around there or a higher amount.

Looking from last year, they received around 200 applications, so I'm going to guess around there or a higher amount.

According to an email sent Nov 25 from Marty Baker, 216 people had started their application.

Best of luck to everyone!

Last edited:
I forgot that they don't accept AP credit for science classes, so I spoke with Marty and got my 1st semester gen chem replaced by my biochem lab and pchem lecture. She was very helpful in helping me getting that figured out.

I forgot that they don't accept AP credit for science classes, so I spoke with Marty and got my 1st semester gen chem replaced by my biochem lab and pchem lecture. She was very helpful in helping me getting that figured out.

Sounds like my situation. As soon as I take my biochemistry final (Tuesday), I will use my lab and lecture grade as substitutes for General Biology II.

Sounds like my situation. As soon as I take my biochemistry final (Tuesday), I will use my lab and lecture grade as substitutes for General Biology II.
Where are you doing your undergrad studies currently? I'm doing mine at ASU.

Do you guys know when interview invites are sent out?

I only went on the Tucson trip... I drove people back to campus though lol. Is U of A your top choice? At first, I was going to apply to more schools, but everyone told me that my stats would enable me to gain admission into U of A, so I decided to just stick to the in-state schools.
They are among my top choices. I would love to go here if accepted, but since I've lived in AZ my while life I kind of want to go somewhere else to see more of the country.

Do you guys know when interview invites are sent out?
I think Marty or one of the preceptors I've met said they will start invites in January sometime. This would make sense since the other schools that don't have rolling admissions from before the PharmCAS deadline are sending out invites at that time as well.

Last edited:
Application under consideration :shifty:. Some good news before christmas

Maybe interview invitations will be sent in 2 weeks; let's all cross our fingers and enjoy the holidays.

Last edited:
Guess who got an interview on the 31st of January?? ME!!!! :zip::claps::zip:

Guess who got an interview on the 31st of January?? ME!!!! :zip::claps::zip:

Awesome. Can you please share more details about the available dates? This anxiety is literally making me sick. :barf:
If we do not hear anything by next week, does that probably mean that we have been rejected?

Awesome. Can you please share more details about the available dates? This anxiety is literally making me sick. :barf:
If we do not hear anything by next week, does that probably mean that we have been rejected?

My status still hasn't changed - still "Initial Review In Process." I'm in the same boat as you, unless your status is "Application under consideration," which is one step ahead of me.

Jane, here's the info I got. There were something like ~27 seems open on the 17th, 18th, 31st, and I think one other date I didn't really look at. It's interesting to see that they posted the number of interview sears, but I don't see an option to reschedule so I have no way of seeing the available ones anymore.
https://www.pharmacy.arizona.edu/apply/interview-instructions.pl

Congratulations to those of you who got invites today!! I remember getting my invite last year and it made me really anxious/excited. For those of you who didn't get invites yet, don't fret. Last year, they sent out invitations in groups throughout the month and I think some even into February. Each group gets a set of 3 days to choose from if I remember correctly. If you have any questions that I can help answer, let me know. Good luck!

Jane, here's the info I got. There were something like ~27 seems open on the 17th, 18th, 31st, and I think one other date I didn't really look at. It's interesting to see that they posted the number of interview sears, but I don't see an option to reschedule so I have no way of seeing the available ones anymore.
https://www.pharmacy.arizona.edu/apply/interview-instructions.pl

Congratulations on getting an interview. Thank you for sharing the link. :)

I scheduled my interview for January 18 :) congrats to anyone who got an interview!

When I logged in yesterday there were three dates available, the 17th, 18th and 31st and each had 28 seats available. There was another 4th option which I did not look further into Obviously since people have picked their dates the seats available have slightly gone down, but don't be alarmed there are still plenty of seats available. Remember at least 150 people will most likely be interviewed so just hang in there. If your application is still under consideration it literally means you still have a chance since they haven't changed your status to denied.

Hang in there :):)

I just got confused, when I log in the above link I got "applicant interview instruction " but there is nothing specific dates mentioned but When logged in application page still says "application under consideration.so got interview ? Or
Please explain..

I just got confused, when I log in the above link I got "applicant interview instruction " but there is nothing specific dates mentioned but When logged in application page still says "application under consideration.so got interview ? Or
Please explain..
You're still under consideration. I just posted the link since it gives us general info (it showed up on my page). But if you get an interview, the status page gives you a few dates to choose from and the seats available.