University of Arizona - Tucson & Phoenix Class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
brophy, I got my card like 2 years ago so I don't really remember everything but I believe that I got a packet that said where to go to get fingerprinting done. I am pretty sure it was downtown (phoenix) at the police station. This website mentions a packet, maybe there is more info in there?

http://www.azdps.gov/services/Fingerprint/

Sorry if that is no help, I am not sure where I got my info from at the time.

Thx,
Jon

Members don't see this ad.

lkorovin, I haven't ever lived in Tucson so I can't answer your question but as was stated before, I would put a request in for a parking pass if you haven't yet. You don't have to pay till July and it seems as though there is a waiting list for any of the good lots which will only grow if you wait longer. Just thought I would mention that.

thx,
Jon

Now, I'm going to be living about 4 miles away from the UMC at the Citation Gardens Co-ops on Jones Blvd. I'm wondering if it's a better idea to get a parking pass or to simply buy a bicycle, especially if the rush hour traffic is that bad. What do you guys think?

There are definitely pros and cons to both. Honestly, parking here at UA is SO expensive and with the traffic coming in you would probably get here in the same amount of time on a bike. I currently live about 1.5 miles from campus and work at UMC, so I ride my bike every day. From this I can also tell you that riding in the heat is definitely no fun, but of course that won't always be the case. Overall, I would say, go for the bike :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello Everyone, my name is Jon and I will be attending Tucson this fall. (that kinda sounds like I am in a support group) So anyways, I am starting to stress about housing. I want something quiet yet close to school, is that even possible with undergrads? Does anyone have any ideas or places I should be looking?

Thanks in advance,
Jon

YBFdoctor's post was great! I would also like to add my personal opinion of that you should try to avoid renting south of 6th St. if possible (south of UACOM). I rented two different houses in that area when I was an undergrad and we were broken into twice, plus a lot of undergrads rent there and it can be noisy. If you are looking to rent, make sure it is somewhere in the North-East area like YBFdoctor suggested. I currently live close to Speedway Blvd. and Tucson, and I really love the neighborhood.

On the same note is anyone able to enroll in the classes that they mention?

I emailed Ann yesterday about that, and she said that next week '[they] will be enrolling [us]" - so I guess we can register next week.

My grants total 4,750... probably because I'm OOS.

I am most likely going to Tucson... who wants to have a joint celebration at the beginning of the year with the Phoenix people too? I'm really excited for next year.

Let's do it!

Hello Everyone, my name is Jon and I will be attending Tucson this fall. (that kinda sounds like I am in a support group) So anyways, I am starting to stress about housing. I want something quiet yet close to school, is that even possible with undergrads? Does anyone have any ideas or places I should be looking?

Thanks in advance,
Jon

Good to see you here Jon! This is a 2007 crime map for Tucson (all crime, from minor to major). I don't know how helpful it is, but I've been using it to get a general idea of where to move. Disclaimer: From what I understand, you could even see large differences from street to street - meaning, you could live on a block with lots of crime on average, while your third of the block is nice - and SORRY IT'S SO HUGE :rolleyes:. Also see my other reply below:
2007allcrime.jpg

There are definitely pros and cons to both. Honestly, parking here at UA is SO expensive and with the traffic coming in you would probably get here in the same amount of time on a bike. I currently live about 1.5 miles from campus and work at UMC, so I ride my bike every day. From this I can also tell you that riding in the heat is definitely no fun, but of course that won't always be the case. Overall, I would say, go for the bike :)

I'm going the bike route. Over the weekend I discovered that Mountain Ave, north of campus, looks great for biking (wide bike lane, only one lane road each way, doesn't seem too busy, not too many stops). If anyone in Tucson could confirm that, it would be great. I may also be up for carpooling if anyone's interested. :) I'll be living the first semester near Prince, between 1st and Mountain.

Last edited:
I emailed Ann yesterday about that, and she said that next week '[they] will be enrolling [us]" - so I guess we can register next week.

I'm going the bike route. Over the weekend I discovered that Mountain Ave, north of campus, looks great for biking (wide bike lane, only one lane road each way, doesn't seem too busy, not too many stops). If anyone in Tucson could confirm that, it would be great. I may also be up for carpooling if anyone's interested. :) I'll be living the first semester near Prince, between 1st and Mountain.

I spoke to Ann also last week on the phone and she said they would register us. StudentLink used to allow med students to self-register, but the new UAccess system isn't set up to allow med students to do that, only undergrads. All in all, we don't have to worry about! Woo hoo! They will just register us for all our classes automatically :)

Also, Mountain Ave. is a wonderful place to bike. If you have to go east, riding on 3rd St. East of campus is a bike and resident only route, so no public car traffic is allowed which is nice.

hey everyone, i was wondering if any of you have done the fingerprinting clearance card and how and where we can get this fingerprinting done. I received the application from UA-Phx about the fingerprinting and would like to know if any of you have finished this requirement already. Thanks

Did you guys just call the office to tell them you needed this? How do they send it? Fax/email?

Did you guys just call the office to tell them you needed this? How do they send it? Fax/email?

Yeah I just called in and they send it to you by US mail and then you can just go to a fingerprinting place. I went to the UPS store and then you just put it in the envelope they give you and can send it to the DPS.

Last edited:
Yeah I just called in and they send it to you by US mail and then you can just go to a fingerprinting place. I went to the UPS store and then you just put it in the envelope they give you and can send it to the DPS.

I went to the closest State Police barracks and they did it for free. I'm not even a resident of the state I'm in right now.

That map is a good start, but Tucson is really weird because there are patches of bad neighborhoods EVERYWHERE. I've lived south of 22nd, where one person suggested not to live; I've lived east/central near alvernon and glenn and all the way on the east side near Speedway and Pantano. Currently I live right behind UMC on Vine and Elm aka a convenient 10 minute walk/2 minute bike ride from the campus.

Many first years I know live near River and Campbell in some apartment complex which is nice. Traffic in the morning coming down can be crowded (although not by Phx rush hour standards).

I think living on Mountain is a great idea. If you can afford it I would recommend renting a guest house in the Sam Hughes area. I personally like being close to school because I don't like to drive and biking is healthy. Disclaimer: no matter where you live people will find you and steal your bike or break into your house in central Tucson.

That map is a good start, but Tucson is really weird because there are patches of bad neighborhoods EVERYWHERE. I've lived south of 22nd, where one person suggested not to live; I've lived east/central near alvernon and glenn and all the way on the east side near Speedway and Pantano. Currently I live right behind UMC on Vine and Elm aka a convenient 10 minute walk/2 minute bike ride from the campus.

Many first years I know live near River and Campbell in some apartment complex which is nice. Traffic in the morning coming down can be crowded (although not by Phx rush hour standards).

I think living on Mountain is a great idea. If you can afford it I would recommend renting a guest house in the Sam Hughes area. I personally like being close to school because I don't like to drive and biking is healthy. Disclaimer: no matter where you live people will find you and steal your bike or break into your house in central Tucson.

Agree.

Members don't see this ad :)
Where are all you PHXers living next year?

Dunno about this year's first years, but a few now 2nd years I know told me that they along with many of the new Phoenician med students lived in this apartment complex near campus. I can't recall the name of it.

Dunno about this year's first years, but a few now 2nd years I know told me that they along with many of the new Phoenician med students lived in this apartment complex near campus. I can't recall the name of it.

I think its called Camden at Copper Square or something like that. Its on Van Buren and 9th street. Im sure that many of the incoming students will live there. I have several friends at the Phx campus, and one of them lived in Camden her first year and loved it (except for the cost). She now lives in a condo near Central and Encanto.

I work for NIDDK (our lab is in TGEN's building) so I am familiar with downtown. Recently, a new apartment complex opened on 5th street and Fillmore. I think its called Alta Phoenix Lofts. Someone in my lab just moved in there. She said its really nice but pricey, however, its just a few minutes walk to the Phx Campus.

Last edited:
Where are all you PHXers living next year?

I live in a condo at Artisan Village (7th Street and Roosevelt) and LOVE it! Close to campus, new and nice buildings and floorplans, great pool, two car garage. I'm not sure if anyone is renting, but if you still are looking, I'd recommend checking it out. :)

Any UA students know how hard it is to get off of the parking permit waitlist? I don't want to sit around on it until school starts to then have to pay for visitor parking or something. I guess what I'm asking is, does the WL for zone 1 permits move pretty quick?

Thanks all!

Besides Camden, Alta, and Artisan, is there any other place that is a bit cheaper (I'm looking for a 1 bedroom and cannot really afford the aforementioned places), but not in a terrible neighborhood? I've been looking on Craigslist and apartments.com, however, I don't know the area too well and am a little apprehensive about finding an apartment without knowing if it's going to be a safe environment.

Last edited:
Any other Tucsoners not being allowed to register for classes yet? They sent out an email saying to register a few hours ago, so I don't know what the delay is...

Any other Tucsoners not being allowed to register for classes yet? They sent out an email saying to register a few hours ago, so I don't know what the delay is...

Yeah - I can add classes to my cart, but actually enrolling in the classes gives an error message. Hopefully it will be working soon.

Yeah - I can add classes to my cart, but actually enrolling in the classes gives an error message. Hopefully it will be working soon.

That's the exact same thing as me, so at least we're both in the same boat.

Yeah, same here. And apparently, you need to be registered for classes in order to get your Catcard. :((((

Hey guys, I'm still looking for a place to live in Phoenix, so if any of you have a room they're trying to rent out, know somebody who does, or are looking for a roommate, please let me know.

I also had the same problem with registering. I sent Ann an email about it, and she is going to forward it to the appropriate people. Its also annoying because Im trying to apply for the campus health insurance (my current insurance is about to run beacuse I'm leaving my job), and I cant apply until I enroll!

Phosphorus- There are places that are decent and cheaper a bit farther away. There are some places along central, north of the campus that are too far to walk, but you can take the light rail to school from there. I'm not sure of their current prices, but I looked at the Pavillions a couple of years ago, and they had some good specials back then. There are also other complexes off of central. A friend of mine lives in Lexington. I think her rent is around $730/mo for a 1 bedroom not including utilities. Its a nice place, its gated. There is a light rail stop right there. Other people in my lab have lived near Camelback and 20th street. There are some decent complexes there that are reasonable. There are also lots of places to check out along 7th street, north of the campus (I can think of some as far north as Glendale). If you lived near camelback and 7th, you would have a 10-15 minute drive. Directly south of the campus (between chase field and the 10 freeway) is less safe. If you have a complex in mind, you can give me the name and I can tell you about the area!

I noticed I was able to register, then just got the email - everyone should be able to register now :)

Is it true we have to get an antibody titer for Measles, Mumps, and Rubella? That's what the health screening checklist says.

I noticed I was able to register, then just got the email - everyone should be able to register now :)

Is it true we have to get an antibody titer for Measles, Mumps, and Rubella? That's what the health screening checklist says.

Yes that's true.

Yes that's true.

If you're like Shep then in addition to MMR, you have to get your STD's checked out prior to matriculation. They don't need the clap spreading through the first year class like a wildfire, and at a school as small as Phoenix that could happen in a matter of days.

No worries guys, I've been on antibiotics since the incident with the Suns Dancers. As far as I know they're all good too. All's well that ends well. And that ended really well.

No worries guys, I've been on antibiotics since the incident with the Suns Dancers. As far as I know they're all good too. All's well that ends well. And that ended really well.

Ah, so your real reason for choosing the Phoenix campus comes out...I guess naked parties with the Suns dancers is worth it. Next time, just be honest with us about your real reasons are...:p

Are you guys sure on this one? I asked Ann and she told me just Hep B and if you had chicken pox as a child then you would also need that titer. The checklist doesn't provide a spot to write in the date for an MMR titer like it does for Hep B, so that's why I question it.

I will email her to clarify.

Hey guys,

I will be moving to tucson in about a month so my place will be opening up. It is a 2 bed 2 bath split condo ~9.5 miles to UACOM-P. Rent is $850 pm.

Please PM me if interested.

So what is everyone planning on doing for textbooks that are recommended or required for just one block (and are not offered online)? Would it be a good idea to split the cost for one book among a group of 3-5, and then do group study when necessary? Or check one out from the library and share? :cool:

So what is everyone planning on doing for textbooks that are recommended or required for just one block (and are not offered online)? Would it be a good idea to split the cost for one book among a group of 3-5, and then do group study when necessary? Or check one out from the library and share? :cool:

Netters, Nolte's neuro books, Wheater's histo, and some board review books is about all you need. The rest I'd just check out from the library as needed. Of course, if you're like me you'll buy them all anyway out of fear that you'll miss something then regret it later and try to convince the incoming class that they don't need all those books just to have them ignore you and buy them all anyway out of fear of missing something important and the viscous cycle continues...

Netters, Nolte's neuro books, Wheater's histo, and some board review books is about all you need. The rest I'd just check out from the library as needed. Of course, if you're like me you'll buy them all anyway out of fear that you'll miss something then regret it later and try to convince the incoming class that they don't need all those books just to have them ignore you and buy them all anyway out of fear of missing something important and the viscous cycle continues...

Ditto, although I don't even know if you really need Wheater's. Here is breakdown of what I would suggest for first year:

Foundations: Nothing

Neuro: Nolte's Study Guide + Maybe Nolte's Full Text + Goljan's Pathology/Robbins

Musculoskeletal: Atlas of Gross Anatomy + BRS Gross Anatomy + Netter's

CPR: BRS Physiology + Goljan's Pathology/Robbins

DMH: BRS Physiology + Goljan's Pathology/Robbins

I personally think Robbin's is just too much to read so I would go with Goljan's. Keep in mind you can reuse these books for board review as well. Lastly, the notes that you are provided with for each block are KEY to doing well on the exams. Make sure to use those as your primary study tool because they are usually well written and have learning objectives to accompany them

Last edited:
MedMan25 and MikanDoc, thanks for the advice I might try to use it. For some reason though i have a feeling that i will fall into the loop mentioned in Medman25's story. I foresaw that happening even before you mentioned it. Oh well, I will try though...

Wow, thanks for the advice! Could you guys give us an example of what a typical week is like in the first semester? Like class and societies times, and when you like to study. That would be great! :D

Last edited:
I can't believe that no one has posted on here about the LCE preceptor match! Am I the only one who has been eagerly awaiting the results for the past two weeks!? I was afraid that they were going to wait until orientation to tell us. I hope everyone is happy with their preceptor! :)

I can't believe that no one has posted on here about the LCE preceptor match! Am I the only one who has been eagerly awaiting the results for the past two weeks!? I was afraid that they were going to wait until orientation to tell us. I hope everyone is happy with their preceptor! :)

I can't wait to find out who was matched to my LCE preceptor! I absolutely LOVE him - I got to remove a skin tag on my very first day! He lets me do everything, and he expects so much from me, so I'm always prepared and end up learning a ton. I'm so psyched for you guys!

Does anyone know when they are going to post an academic calendar up for PHX? My preceptor emailed me back today and asked what afternoons are best for me to meet up. I'm thinking gahh.. I have no idea.

Does anyone know when they are going to post an academic calendar up for PHX? My preceptor emailed me back today and asked what afternoons are best for me to meet up. I'm thinking gahh.. I have no idea.

Do we get to choose which day? For some reason I thought it was assigned to us based on the alternating doctoring class schedule.

I have no idea. I emailed my preceptor some info about me and said I looked forward to meeting her and she emailed back asking what day was good for me, told me what day was good for her, and said she'd let Hank know what the outcome was. :shrug:

Do we get to choose which day? For some reason I thought it was assigned to us based on the alternating doctoring class schedule.

I believe it is between you and your LCE preceptor. Doctoring and LCE are alternating weeks, so you can go to LCE either Tues, Wed, or Thurs (it doesn't have to be the same day as Doctoring). For example, last year I had Doctoring every other Tuesday but LCE every other Thursday.

I emailed Hank to ask this exact question and he said that you should work it out with your preceptor.

Like this one? It shows which weeks are LCE and which are Doctoring.

http://medicine.arizona.edu/sites/medicine.arizona.edu/files/PhoenixCurricularDiagram.pdf

Thanks, I saw that one, but was wondering if we would get a more in-depth one that gave us daily start and end times before orientation. I think I will tell my preceptor that if a certain day works best for her, I will tentatively agree to that day assuming I have no schedule conflicts, but get back to her with a definitive answer when I know for sure what the M1 schedule is going to look like.

Thanks, I saw that one, but was wondering if we would get a more in-depth one that gave us daily start and end times before orientation. I think I will tell my preceptor that if a certain day works best for her, I will tentatively agree to that day assuming I have no schedule conflicts, but get back to her with a definitive answer when I know for sure what the M1 schedule is going to look like.

On LCE weeks, you will be out of school with no other obligations (unless they are self-imposed) after 12 noon on Tues, Wed, and Thurs, so you can do either of those three days. Typically, LCE starts at 1 or 1:30 depending on where your LCE is located (how long it takes to drive there) and goes as late as you (or your LCE wants). Generally, I tend to stay until 5 or 5:30, but I know other students are done earlier. This is really between you and your preceptor.

On LCE weeks, you will be out of school with no other obligations (unless they are self-imposed) after 12 noon on Tues, Wed, and Thurs, so you can do either of those three days. Typically, LCE starts at 1 or 1:30 depending on where your LCE is located (how long it takes to drive there) and goes as late as you (or your LCE wants). Generally, I tend to stay until 5 or 5:30, but I know other students are done earlier. This is really between you and your preceptor.

Thanks for the info! You are always so very helpful.

I am so excited to start!!:)

does anyone know what the parking situation is for phoenix? i know that at parking.arizona.edu we are able to order parking permits even for phoenix but on the newstudents site there hasn't been any parking information posted due to the construction.