University of Arizona

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wild Eyes

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guy! This is my first post but I was wondering if anyone saw that over the weekend U of A got private funds to have a full Veterinary Medicine Program. Which the first class is going to be in 2015.What's your opinion on this? Being an Arizonian I am pretty excited to have a public university rather than just the private Midwestern University. :soexcited:

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I'm jealous. I did my undergrad in AZ and can't wait to be back there after vet school :) A lot of people think U of A already has a vet school.

That's true but they didn't have the actual program just a "pre-vet"/Veterinary science major. Where are you going to school?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah but it's a public instead of private. Since i'm from Arizona it will help to get instate tuition.

Yeah but it's a public instead of private. Since i'm from Arizona it will help to get instate tuition.

Unfortunately, the issue is a bit bigger than what your tuition will be.

I'm actually pretty surprised that new schools are STILL appearing. Given the reaction within the community with the last two...

What will the world look like in 10 years? I'm kinda nervous to find out.

Reactions: 4 users
Unfortunately, the issue is a bit bigger than what your tuition will be.

I'm actually pretty surprised that new schools are STILL appearing. Given the reaction within the community with the last two...

What will the world look like in 10 years? I'm kinda nervous to find out.
I found an article online saying how about 30 local private practices sent in letters to UA stating how they thought it would be a bad idea to open another school. I'm surprised that UA is going through with this even with such a lack of support.

I found an article online saying how about 30 local private practices sent in letters to UA stating how they thought it would be a bad idea to open another school. I'm surprised that UA is going through with this even with such a lack of support.
I think this explains why...
giphy.gif

Reactions: 1 users
+pissed+:bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

Reactions: 1 user
I have no problem with new vet schools. In fact I think it's great. BUT, I believe, the number of seats should be redistributed, so that class sizes get smaller. But, I don't see AVMA regulating that anytime soon so, never mind. Due do the cost of education, among other factors, flooding the market with veterinarians, lowers pay and makes even medium level jobs very competitive. The only winners are the academic institutions.

And didn't AVMA previously get sued for attempting to slow down accrediting schools just a little while ago? Or was that something else? Basically the AVMA can accredit, but they can't not-accredit for reasons like job market saturation.

I have no problem with new vet schools. In fact I think it's great. BUT, I believe, the number of seats should be redistributed, so that class sizes get smaller. But, I don't see AVMA regulating that anytime soon so, never mind. Due do the cost of education, among other factors, flooding the market with veterinarians, lowers pay and makes even medium level jobs very competitive. The only winners are the academic institutions.

And didn't AVMA previously get sued for attempting to slow down accrediting schools just a little while ago? Or was that something else? Basically the AVMA can accredit, but they can't not-accredit for reasons like job market saturation.

I agree with you. I do think that they should redistribute the seats. The only real reason this is good is because Southern Arizona is seeing a shortage in large animal veterinarians. Part of the reason being because there isn't enough or any in the smaller rural towns or that they don't do large animal in the first place. I think they are trying to get students that go to this school to stay instate in order to help that situation.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with you. I do think that they should redistribute the seats. The only real reason this is good is because Southern Arizona is seeing a shortage in large animal veterinarians. Part of the reason being because there isn't enough or any in the smaller rural towns or that they don't do large animal in the first place. I think they are trying to get students that go to this school to stay instate in order to help that situation.
This is really misleading. There really ISN'T a shortage of large animal vets. At least not the way that the schools portray it. The shortage that typically exists is in rural areas where there is little to no pay but a need for veterinary care. Rural LA vets are needed but the areas that mostly need them can't support them. But it is common to hear schools use that as their reasoning.

Reactions: 1 users

No, there isn't enough money to support a vet in those small, rural towns in the middle of nowhere Arizona. That void will not be filled unless someone is willing to go through vet school and come out working for free.

No, there isn't enough money to support a vet in those small, rural towns in the middle of nowhere Arizona. That void will not be filled unless someone is willing to go through vet school and come out working for free.
I think I just barely ninja'd you on that :p

Reactions: 1 user
Reactions: 2 users
Didn't even think about that. But we all know how the AVMA is with that. I'm sure they will have it soon.
If they are starting in the fall, how are they going to get applications in time to make their class? I wonder how big the class will be.

Didn't even think about that. But we all know how the AVMA is with that. I'm sure they will have it soon.
If they are starting in the fall, how are they going to get applications in time to make their class? I wonder how big the class will be.
if they don't have to abide by VMCAS, they may shoot for applications and enrollments later. it looks like they want a smaller class size, too. So it may not take that long.

Many of their programs are also similar to UK programs - they look like they want students directly out of high school to do the pre-reqs as part of the program then move to the vet med specifics.

Except for wild eyes, who will get to pay IS tuition. Sorry, my snark is on overdrive tonight.
IS tuition vs having a job to pay off tuition....

Thanks Arizona.

We do not need any more vet schools-period. We are oversaturated with vets.

Any word on if/when the UA vet school will admit its first class?