University of British Columbia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if ubc calls some of our references? I didn't let one of my friends (club member) know I put down their name on my application. Should I let them know just in case? I had other references know but do you think ubc would call all our references?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know if ubc calls some of our references? I didn't let one of my friends (club member) know I put down their name on my application. Should I let them know just in case? I had other references know but do you think ubc would call all our references?

I'm not sure if they call all of your references. I think you should let your friend know so that if UBC calls, they won't be surprised to be getting a call.

As future reference, it's always a good idea to let whomever you're listing as a reference contact know that they may be contacted in the future and what it's for. This applies in any situation.

Thread is a lot more dead than last year... not too many applicants this year?

Members don't see this ad :)
we can only hope that the "deadness" of this thread is a sign of less applicants!

Maybe the current job market of pharmacists in BC has driven away some applicants? If so, good for the rest of us still applying.

Hello everyone. Considering we have about 2 months before the interview starts and hoping we all get called on for an interview, anyone wants to form a group to prepare and practice for the MMI? I cant commit to it until the finals are over but maybe by the end of april or beginning of may we can form a group that can meet twice a week to better prepare for the MMI? What do you guys think? Anyone down for it? We can possibly meet in library, coffee shop, etc !

Hello everyone. Considering we have about 2 months before the interview starts and hoping we all get called on for an interview, anyone wants to form a group to prepare and practice for the MMI? I cant commit to it until the finals are over but maybe by the end of april or beginning of may we can form a group that can meet twice a week to better prepare for the MMI? What do you guys think? Anyone down for it? We can possibly meet in library, coffee shop, etc !

oo!! I'm down for that! :) I think it will be so useful since I was so nervous when I went to the mock interview held by the pre-pharm club XD..

oo!! I'm down for that! :) I think it will be so useful since I was so nervous when I went to the mock interview held by the pre-pharm club XD..

haha. I was there too. So lets do it. I hope more people can join us. So lets do mondays or sundays if that work for you? starting end of april? do you live in vancouver area?

That sounds like a great idea, I'd be interested in it as well :)

okay! so we got at least 3! thats good. I dont know how the final exams schedules are for you guys but I can do do sundays at least for sure starting from april 22nd. Are you guys down for it or maybe a week later on april 28nd sounds good?!

I probably won't be able to do it till the beginning of may =( I'm going somewhere after my finals end! I'll join you guys in may if you guys are still practicing!! And Mondays + Sundays sounds good :)

that sounds like a great idea! unfortunately, I don't live in vancouver.

April 28 sounds good to me! If we start then it'll give us just over a month to prepare and I think that should be more than enough time

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone. Good to hear that lots of people are interesting. I think we can start our first practice/meeting on april 28th sunday and continue on it weekly as more people can join us as someone has said that he/she can start coming after May! I live close to Langara college but im down for pretty much for any place to meet. What about starbucks in one of the broadway street?

And for those who are not in vancouver, you guys should also try to form a gorup in your own area if there are interested people as well or always join us in vancouver whenever you come down here!

Looking forward to meeting many of you guys!

That's awesome! It's great to see people taking the initiative to form a practice group together. The more practice you get (along with feedback), the better! I can honestly say that the practice sessions I attended last year helped quite a bit.

Hello everyone. Good to hear that lots of people are interesting. I think we can start our first practice/meeting on april 28th sunday and continue on it weekly as more people can join us as someone has said that he/she can start coming after May! I live close to Langara college but im down for pretty much for any place to meet. What about starbucks in one of the broadway street?

And for those who are not in vancouver, you guys should also try to form a gorup in your own area if there are interested people as well or always join us in vancouver whenever you come down here!

Looking forward to meeting many of you guys!

Hi I just saw the thread and I am interested in the practice interview too.
Would you minded if I joined too?
Thanks

p.s. Isn't Apr. 28th Saturday? Did you mean 29th? if so, then I won't be able to make it as I have to attend the church :(.

Hi!
its great to hear that so many people are interested in this practice group!

Why dont we have our first meeting on april 28th the sunday at 5pm at the blenz coffee shop on granville and broadway for easy transit access? Would that be ok for those who attend church to participate as well??

We can also discuss other possible locations for meeting. I live near Langara College but anywhere in vancouver should be fine! What do you guys think?

Hi!
its great to hear that so many people are interested in this practice group!

Why dont we have our first meeting on april 28th the sunday at 5pm at the blenz coffee shop on granville and broadway for easy transit access? Would that be ok for those who attend church to participate as well??

We can also discuss other possible locations for meeting. I live near Langara College but anywhere in vancouver should be fine! What do you guys think?
That sounds fine to me!

Just to clear any confusion, the 28th is a Saturday, but you've repeatedly mentioned Sunday: Can you clarify?

Just to clear any confusion, the 28th is a Saturday, but you've repeatedly mentioned Sunday: Can you clarify?

Im so sorry. I meant 29th of April.

April 29th Sunday 5 pm Blenz coffee (granville and broadway) beside Mcdonalds!

Like pharmlover22 mentioned above, it's really a mystery since the Department does not do any of the conversions. You could refer to the one UBC MED uses but use caution.

Quoted from the Physiotherapy Department: "As universities and colleges have varying grade point scales, all grades will be converted to percentage using grade conversion tables provided to us by UBC Enrolment Services and/or information found on the back of official transcripts. The Admissions Office does not disclose its grading conversion tables to applicants. Official English translations are required for all Foreign transcripts that are not already in English." (http://www.physicaltherapy.med.ubc....ve_students/mpt_admissions/admission_faqs.htm).

Regardless, prepare for the worst case scenario and move forward with that in mind.

Thanks Aanickaa.

I would love to join you guys for the meet up. Is there room for one more?
I live in Victoria, so I may not be able to make it, but will definitely try if I can.

that sounds like a great idea! unfortunately, I don't live in vancouver.

Perhaps you could set up a Skype meeting - a little inconvenient but it might be a possible attempt at an alternative...:confused:

Since I've already been through the entire admissions process (with the help of load and loads of summer interview practice groups), I'd be happy to help you guys out. Cant go to the 29th though; if there are other meetings, you guys can contact me through PM!

Thanks Aanickaa.

I would love to join you guys for the meet up. Is there room for one more?
I live in Victoria, so I may not be able to make it, but will definitely try if I can.

of course!
the more, the better! anyone is welcomed to join and hope we can get a solid group starting!

I know this is an odd question, but I don't remember putting my SIN, did we have to put it on our online pharmacy application form?

If we did, I think I put the wrong one

Last edited:
I know this is an odd question, but I don't remember putting my SIN, did we have to put it on our online pharmacy application form?

If we did, I think I put the wrong one :S eeks

You did in order for them to check your PCAT scores for the most part.

Anyone interested? April 28th around 10:00 am, at a group study room in Irving. Hoping to get at least 10 people. Here is the doodle sign up sheet. There is extra information and instructions on there.
http://www.doodle.com/fwxnbs6ia3hnz9i8

Thank you,
Jerry Zhang

Hello everyone. Im guessing everyone has finished their finals and relaxing a bit!
Just a heads up for our first MMI practice meeting is going to be this sunday April 29th at 5 pm at BLENZ COFFEE (intersection of BROADWAY AND GRANVILLE) across the CHAPTERS. Jerry has started a doodle thread to keep track of who is going to come for weekly meetings! I hope to see many of you guys on our first meeting!

Please add your name and email address under this doodle thread if you can make it this sunday.
See you guys

http://www.doodle.com/dseamhdaci6nuayy

So last year the interview emails were sent out around the 15th..

Same time this year?

Also why is this forum so dead? Could it be because of less applicants or because of the previous threads everyone read though that there's no questions?

Hi. Thats exactly how we are going to prepare and share thoughts and opinions about specific questions as it is beneficial to have a wider perspective for different situations that the MMI test for.

We had our first meeting with a group of 3 people and are planning on having more meeetings with different groups if possible. We have a group going in Surrey right now every sunday at 5pm however I live near vancouver so it would be great to also have a group going based on Vancouver. Let me know if anyone is interested!

Hi. Thats exactly how we are going to prepare and share thoughts and opinions about specific questions as it is beneficial to have a wider perspective for different situations that the MMI test for.

We had our first meeting with a group of 3 people and are planning on having more meeetings with different groups if possible. We have a group going in Surrey right now every sunday at 5pm however I live near vancouver so it would be great to also have a group going based on Vancouver. Let me know if anyone is interested!

im interested!

I'm interested as well. I live out of town but will probably be in vancouver for a few days pretty soon.

I just got an invitation to the MUN pharmacy program as an OOP.
Is a graduate from MUN pharmaceutical program considered competitive in other provinces?
I lives in B.C. and I plan to live in B.C. in the future.
I am worried that if pharmaceutical companies will regard UBC graduates better than the graduates from MUN pharmacy.
Does anyone knows how MUN pharmacists are considered in other provinces than the maritime provinces?
Also, can a graduate from MUN pharmacy enrol in UBC PharmD program?

Thank you

Congrats on your acceptance!! For you future , are you planning to work in a retail pharmacy or for a Pharmaceutical company? These two are different.

I just got an invitation to theo MUN pharmacy program as an OOP.
Is a graduate from MUN pharmaceutical program considered competitive in other provinces?
I lives in B.C. and I plan to live in B.C. in the future.
I am worried that if pharmaceutical companies will regard UBC graduates better than the graduates from MUN pharmacy.
Does anyone knows how MUN pharmacists are considered in other provinces than the maritime provinces?
Also, can a graduate from MUN pharmacy enrol in UBC PharmD program?

Thank you

Hi pharmlove2 thank you for your congratulation.

I meant that I plan to work in a retail pharmacy, as well as in a hospital as a clinical pharmacist.

but I am curious now how it matters for the retail pharmacy and pharmaceutical company. :)

Could you tell me how it will matter differently in a retail pharmacy and pharmaceutical company in terms of the graduate's school?

Thank you

Congrats on your acceptance!! For you future , are you planning to work in a retail pharmacy or for a Pharmaceutical company? These two are different.

we should be hearing about interview invite around this week or next week!! :S so nervous

we should be hearing about interview invite around this week or next week!! :S so nervous

i read on the website that the academic average is calculated based on your prerequisite courses only. so they don't look at your upper-level college courses? i graduated with a bachelor's degree already, and i feel that it puts me at a disadvantage since i've done more harder courses since completing my pre-reqs.

i read on the website that the academic average is calculated based on your prerequisite courses only. so they don't look at your upper-level college courses? i graduated with a bachelor's degree already, and i feel that it puts me at a disadvantage since i've done more harder courses since completing my pre-reqs.

Perhaps - it hurt me while others found it positive if they didn't do so well in their first year pre-reqs. Interview will still strongly influence whether you get in or not, so dropping a couple of % on your academics isn't a huge problem that you could recover from the MMI. And positive thinking, you save a few thousand dollars for taking most, if not all, of those upper-year pre-reqs in first year pharm... (~$70 extra/credit)

~30% of last year's class already had a degree entering the program.

is this emailed to us, or is there some applicant website (ie. how we submitted the application) that tells us whether we're invited to an interview?

is this emailed to us, or is there some applicant website (ie. how we submitted the application) that tells us whether we're invited to an interview?

Email.

Perhaps - it hurt me while others found it positive if they didn't do so well in their first year pre-reqs. Interview will still strongly influence whether you get in or not, so dropping a couple of % on your academics isn't a huge problem that you could recover from the MMI. And positive thinking, you save a few thousand dollars for taking most, if not all, of those upper-year pre-reqs in first year pharm... (~$70 extra/credit)

~30% of last year's class already had a degree entering the program.

Where did you get that information? The one regards to the 30% of last year's class having a degree prior to entering the program.

[ We have a group going in Surrey right now every sunday at 5pm however I live near vancouver so it would be great to also have a group going based on Vancouver. Let me know if anyone is interested![/QUOTE]

Where are you guys meeting up in Surrey? Is there also one already set up in Vancouver too? I would love to join you guys!

The wait to get the interview invite email is killing me!:scared:

Does anyone know when UBC will be handing out invitations for interviews?

I just got an invite for the interview about 2 minutes ago...