University of British Columbia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hey! i just got an invitation to an interview, but I was wondering if someone could give me stats on what my chances are of getting in.

Members don't see this ad.

Just got an interview too!! Does anyone know where the interview practice sessions in Surrey are?

Members don't see this ad :)
hey! i just got an invitation to an interview, but I was wondering if someone could give me stats on what my chances are of getting in.

Hi what are you GPA, PCAT and ECs?

I heard after the interview its 40% interview 50% GPA 10% application (+ PCAT).

Last edited:
:D I got an interview too! Hey are you guys still doing group MMI's? If you are can you tell me the time and place? Thanks :)

Got an invite! Finally, I can stop checking my email like a maniac. Any other OOPs?

That's usually the general rule, but the weighing does change here and there depending on the things like the applicant pool, their average GPA this year, etc. Honestly, I say if you've gotten an interview invite your GPA is good enough just be sure to kill it at the interview.

thanks for the reply! I was more inquiring about my chances as an out of province student (forgot to mention that earlier!)

GPA isn't the strongest, about a 74%
PCAT was 88 composite with 98 in chem and 96 in bio
EC: I've worked at a pharmacy for 6 years and involved in clubs at my university and volunteer, etc.

also, does anyone know if it's the same as last year, how 350-400 got an interview and ~224 got in?

Well they said in the emails:
And, finally, based on these criteria, all applications are ranked, and approximately 350 - 400 applicants will be shortlisted for the interview process

We will be making approximately 225 offers of admission.

I got invited today as well :)

thanks for the reply! I was more inquiring about my chances as an out of province student (forgot to mention that earlier!)

GPA isn't the strongest, about a 74%
PCAT was 88 composite with 98 in chem and 96 in bio
EC: I've worked at a pharmacy for 6 years and involved in clubs at my university and volunteer, etc.

also, does anyone know if it's the same as last year, how 350-400 got an interview and ~224 got in?

Assuming that 50% for GPA was right, you're probably still only going to be 3-4 points behind the average of most of the applicants in terms of ranking if you only looked at GPA (average is usually 78-80% for the admitted class, so add a couple of more %'s for OOP). AKA, nothing a decent interview can't fix up :thumbup:

Last edited:
What's 78-80% in GPA?

I've got ~3.0-3.2 (not sure how they calculate/convert it since I have transfer credits)

I got 91 on PCAT composite though.

Just curious, I'm not worried about it any more since what's done is done, no point stressing about it now :)

Edit:

Oh yeah, and the numbers are average! You have to account for the super nerds with 4.0s who get in, so they have to let in some of us with the mediocre grades~!

Congrats to everyone who got an interview invite! I just got an invite too :)

And, finally, based on these criteria, all applications are ranked, and approximately 350 - 400 applicants will be shortlisted for the interview process

Was that sent with the invitation email?? Why didn't I get that part ;__;

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi DustFreeEraser

Don't worry, you are not the only one. :D

I didn't get that part either so I am guessing that maybe a different email has been sent to the OOP students.

To respond to the invitation we just directly reply the e-mail right?

Got an invite! Finally, I can stop checking my email like a maniac. Any other OOPs?

i was checking on and off today as well. don't know why, but i had a feeling we would find out today. i'm also out of province! really excited to visit vancouver though, i'm sure it's nothing short of beautiful.

That's from a "what to expect" email I got a while after submitting my application (I got it on March 7)

During the interiview process, I was wondering if its ok to bring a notepad to write down our thoughts before we go into the individual rooms so that we can refer back to it if we need to remember points to say?

During the interiview process, I was wondering if its ok to bring a notepad to write down our thoughts before we go into the individual rooms so that we can refer back to it if we need to remember points to say?

Water bottle and nothing else :). Gather yourself before you start, not a race to cram as much info as you can during those minutes. Clean and concise!

of course NOT!!! ONLY yourself + water bottle

what's 78-80% in gpa?

I've got ~3.0-3.2 (not sure how they calculate/convert it since i have transfer credits)

i got 91 on pcat composite though.

Just curious, i'm not worried about it any more since what's done is done, no point stressing about it now :)

edit:

Oh yeah, and the numbers are average! You have to account for the super nerds with 4.0s who get in, so they have to let in some of us with the mediocre grades~!
80%=3.7 gpa

Hi jonw
I hope this website helps.

http://students.arts.ubc.ca/academi...sing/academicperformance/gpa-equivalency.html

What's 78-80% in GPA?

I've got ~3.0-3.2 (not sure how they calculate/convert it since I have transfer credits)

I got 91 on PCAT composite though.

Just curious, I'm not worried about it any more since what's done is done, no point stressing about it now :)

Edit:

Hi everyone on this forum :)
Congrats to those who got an interview!! :D

Just got my invitation for the interview like many of you but the thing is I live in Toronto...(anyone else here from Toronto?? if so maybe we can form our own practice MMI group:)) and I'm not sure if I can afford to pay for the flight there and back :S is anyone else in a similar situation? also does anyone know of tips or websites etc. where I can find cheap flights?

Also can anyone tell me what this years stats are? (i.e. how many people applied, etc)

Hi everyone on this forum :)
Congrats to those who got an interview!! :D

Just got my invitation for the interview like many of you but the thing is I live in Toronto...(anyone else here from Toronto?? if so maybe we can form our own practice MMI group:)) and I'm not sure if I can afford to pay for the flight there and back :S is anyone else in a similar situation? also does anyone know of tips or websites etc. where I can find cheap flights?

Also can anyone tell me what this years stats are? (i.e. how many people applied, etc)

i also have to travel from the east coast. just make sure you plan your trip as quickly as possible and try to look at daily deal sites to see if anything pops up for the vancouver area for hotels. i get you though, flying out west is a pretty big expense!

congrats on the interview invite!

just make sure you plan your trip as quickly as possible and try to look at daily deal sites to see if anything pops up for the vancouver area for hotels.

UBC turns one of their residences into a hostel in the summer. I lived there during the school year and it is decent. It costs $33 per night

Pacific Spirit Hostel

UBC turns one of their residences into a hostel in the summer. I lived there during the school year and it is decent. It costs $33 per night

Pacific Spirit Hostel

that's useful information! sorry for my lack of understanding of hostels since i've never stayed in one before, but how does it work? is it like a dorm with just a room with a bed, and everyone shares a common tv room and bathing area?

is it like a dorm with just a room with a bed, and everyone shares a common tv room and bathing area?

Yup that's the case with this one. You might be able to find another hostel in Vancouver that has private bathrooms. I suppose it's not for everyone but that's where I'm staying since it's cheap, familiar, and on campus.

Yup that's the case with this one. You might be able to find another hostel in Vancouver that has private bathrooms. I suppose it's not for everyone but that's where I'm staying since it's cheap, familiar, and on campus.

thanks for the quick reply. i'll check it out. =)

Hey guys, congratulations to those who got an interview; and to those who didn't: don't give up! Make your application stronger by working on your essay, getting better references, raising your GPA, and gaining some pharmacy experience (ask to shadow a pharmacist for a couple hours; volunteering is even better)!

I'm not going to start an interview group myself since I'm busy and don't want to deal with the logistics; but I'll join in and share some practice interview questions if someone else forms a group!

Congratulations to everyone else who got an interview! ^^

I know majority of people are in Vancouver, but if anyone is in Victoria and is interested in meeting up and taking a look at some possible MMI questions and just sharing opinions, email me! lori.chow[@]hotmail.com

Congrats everyone so far, just remember to keep calm and be confident through your interview. With MMIs, just because you mess up on one station, doesn't mean you can't rock the other ones and make up for it!

Well, I just looked up a bunch of standard MMI type questions off the net and used those to develop a method of thinking and a structure for giving answers that I could apply for almost every kind of question an MMI could throw at me. That, and I attended a practice session that was set up by one of my current classmates (and a lot of those who attended that practice session actually are my current classmates as well).

Hi! Congrats to everybody who got their pharm interview! :)
I saw in previous posts that there was some sort of MMI practice group. If there are people still meeting up to practice, would I be able to join? :)

Hi! Congrats to everybody who got their pharm interview! :)
I saw in previous posts that there was some sort of MMI practice group. If there are people still meeting up to practice, would I be able to join? :)

Yes, if anyone is meeting up for a practice MMI group sometime soon please let us know!

Yes I am interested as well, and from above it seems like there are about 3 people interested in practicing MMI questions together! How about we set up a meeting time? Where does everyone live, I'm in Surrey

Yes I am interested as well, and from above it seems like there are about 3 people interested in practicing MMI questions together! How about we set up a meeting time? Where does everyone live, I'm in Surrey

Hey guys, this is my first time posting after lurking through the forum for the past month. I was wondering if any of you guys are interested in practicing through skype every week (due to transportation,location, time issues) I am going to start with lorisaur this week so if anyone else is interested, please add me on skype: leejay118 and we can do group skype!

Hey guys, this is my first time posting after lurking through the forum for the past month. I was wondering if any of you guys are interested in practicing through skype every week (due to transportation,location, time issues) I am going to start with lorisaur this week so if anyone else is interested, please add me on skype: leejay118 and we can do group skype!

Hmhh I would prefer meeting at a library to rehearse let me know if anyones still interested:)

Hey Jay! Yeah, tell me if there are any times that you're available. I'll go on Skype whenever I'm on the computer now since I usually don't lol. I gotta start reading some books and stuff now >_<!

Also, me and mosman will be doing some general discussion and looking at MMIs, so if anyone else is in Victoria and would like to practice, we're here :D

I added you on skype Jay. We should arrange for a meetup around SFU, Surrey campus? Or somewhere in vancouver? What works best for you guys?

I added you on skype Jay. We should arrange for a meetup around SFU, Surrey campus? Or somewhere in vancouver? What works best for you guys?

:) hey im interested too! Can I join if you guys form a group?

Whos free to meet at SFU surrey on Friday around 12 pm?

I got an interview too! anyone in vancouver want to practice on the weekends? We can make up MMI questions and ask amongst ourselves.

Whos free to meet at SFU surrey on Friday around 12 pm?

That sounds good to me! :)

I got an interview too! anyone in vancouver want to practice on the weekends? We can make up MMI questions and ask amongst ourselves.

I can probably do this weekend, but I'm definitely free most of next weekend if you're up for practicing then! :)