University of British Columbia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I didn't do a survey of all of the students in my group but of the few people I chatted with I was the only OOP applicant. Maybe your cycle just happened to have the best timing for people who were flying from out of town for a weekend.

Like twenty7 mentionned, the language of instruction at UdeM and Laval is French, so someone from Montreal who would prefer study in English must apply out of province.

Regardless of how many schools are available in their home provinces, I don't think its surprising that there are some applicants who want to make a change and experience life on the other side of the country, especially in a beautiful (although expensive!) city like Vancouver :)

you hit the nail on the head sully22! i reckon you're from montreal as well?

Members don't see this ad.

was anyone else surprised with the number of out of province students UBC selected for interviews? My interview cycle had 7 out of province students out of a total of 18 students. some where from toronto, some were from ottawa and 1 was from Montreal, even though there are 2 pharmacy schools in montreal.

My interview section only had one OOP applicant, and they had moved from Calgary 2 years before (does that still count?). Everyone besides him and one other person were from Vancouver. Does anyone know how many rural vs. urban applicants get in? Is there a preference towards either one?

This waiting is killing me....

Does anyone know where in B.C. are the "under-repesented areas in the province"?
Will Kelowna be considered underrepresented?

I just read this from the webpage:

"The Admissions Committee may also give preference to well-qualified applicants from under-represented areas in the province."

I just can't wait for the list to come out :mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
My interview section only had one OOP applicant, and they had moved from Calgary 2 years before (does that still count?). Everyone besides him and one other person were from Vancouver. Does anyone know how many rural vs. urban applicants get in? Is there a preference towards either one?

This waiting is killing me....

Yah me too... I just can't wait for the result to be sent out...:(

I don't know how many students they pick in terms of rural vs urban but on the website it said:

"The Admissions Committee may also give preference to well-qualified applicants from under-represented areas in the province."

The problem, though is that I don't understand which universities they consider as under-represented in the province.

Outside the Van, the other universities are only UNBC, TRU, UBC-O, UVIC, and UFV (+colleges that offer first year science courses) right?

So would it be safe to make an assumption that those universities above are considered as underrepresented areas in the province (B.C.)?

hmm... :confused:

Yah me too... I just can't wait for the result to be sent out...:(

I don't know how many students they pick in terms of rural vs urban but on the website it said:

The problem, though is that I don't understand which universities they consider as under-represented in the province.

Outside the Van, the other universities are only UNBC, TRU, UBC-O, UVIC, and UFV (+colleges that offer first year science courses) right?

So would it be safe to make an assumption that those universities above are considered as underrepresented areas in the province (B.C.)?

hmm... :confused:

I think it's more to do with rural communities and not necessarily what school you attended. You could be from a rural town and still have went to UBC. I could be completely wrong though.

you hit the nail on the head sully22! i reckon you're from montreal as well?

I'm not from Montreal but I've lived there for going on seven years now... its about time to change things up again :)

Hey awerr12 I remmeber u saying that u got an interview at MUN. Did u get in?

Hey awerr12 I remmeber u saying that u got an interview at MUN. Did u get in?

Hi
I ended up rejecting the interview offer because I couldn't afford spending time to travel that far when I had intense summer courses going on (cell bio, ochem). :)
The plane ticket was quite expensive as well ($800 just for a round trip. Think of the additional cost of renting a car and sleeping in a motel :eek:).
So all in all, I decided to just stick with UBC Van pharm.

Last edited:
I think it's more to do with rural communities and not necessarily what school you attended. You could be from a rural town and still have went to UBC. I could be completely wrong though.

hmm I see.:) I think that sounds more right. :)
Well I am from upper Fraser valley area.. (further away from Abbortsford)
and I hope my home town is viewed as under-represented.

I thought an under-represented area meant the area is "under-represented" when it comes to the # of pharmacists in the area, aka there is a shortage of pharmacists in the area. This would refer to rural and extremely cold northern areas.

This would refer to rural and extremely cold northern areas.

Haha sounds like home to me. I'm from the Bulkley Valley, so not super far North but still a good 14 hours from Van. That said, I know three others from around here who all got interviews.

Did anyone ever interview anywhere else? Did you find you felt better about one or the other? Is UBC everyone's first choice?

Does anyone know where in B.C. are the "under-repesented areas in the province"?
Will Kelowna be considered underrepresented?

I just read this from the webpage:

I just can't wait for the list to come out :mad:

hmmmm so what does that mean for OOP's? i was confused by that exact statement on the website... so does that mean OOP's are a bit more at a disadvantage?

UBC is very vague when it comes to pharmacy entrance statistics, yet they produce an annual detailed report of admission statistics for med school. And I don't think the whole under represented areas thing puts OOPs at a disadvantage. I think UBC has a flexible unpublished moving quota of OOPs each year, no matter how many under-represented students they take.

Members don't see this ad :)
So according to last years thread they got the admission offers on the 29th which is next friday.

Depending on how many were interviewed we have a ~50% chance of getting accepted

So according to last years thread they got the admission offers on the 29th which is next friday.

Depending on how many were interviewed we have a ~50% chance of getting accepted
Hope they're consistent with last year... and not make us wait even longer.

Hope they're consistent with last year... and not make us wait even longer.

I think it would be an earlier date this year.
Last year, the last interview date was June 19th, and it took them 10 days to hand out the acceptance letter (June 29th).
This year, the final interview date was 17th, so I assume it could be 27th when the acceptance letter is sent out.
Of course, this is assuming that there are about the same number of students interviewed this year compared to last year.

Also to add that last year was the first expanded class, so I'm assuming they took a bit longer finalizing all admissions. We'll see in a week or two though.

Just received my offer!!!!!!! See you all in september!!!!!!!!!! xD

Looks like I'm moving to Vancouver... !!! :D See you in September!

CONGRATS GUYS!! I GOT IN TOO!! see you in september! :):)

oy vey...decisions decisions, u of t, uwaterloo or ubc? =/

congrats to everyone who got accepted!! we deserve it!

WOOHOOO I got in! congrats to everyone else who made it and see you all in September!

Hehe is anyone gonna make a Facebook group? :)

I got my rejection letter at 9-something. Hope that it is a good sign that you haven't received anything yet. I think I will try again one last time next year (this was my second try).

For those who got accepted how many days did they give u to make ur final decision?

Do they send out all the acceptance letters at once?
Or are they in batches?

Still no email yet for me...

All i know is that the earlier you get it, the better! the people who get in receives them first =) best of luck everyone!
Can you clarify this please? Are you saying that people get acceptance letters at different times?

thanks

Just got my rejection letter today..
uhhh I know I kinda messed up the interview but oh well...
I will try next year :) or switch to Dent or whatever...
I am trying to be most optimistic as possible...

Here is my Stat for future applicants:

2nd year standing, pharmacy pre-req GPA = 87.7%

CHEM 121 = 92%, CHEM 123 = 98%
MATH 100 and 101 = 92 %
BIOL 116 + 112 + 125 = 83%
MICB 201 = 78%
ENGL 112 = 92% 151 = 79 %
STAT 203 = 90%
PHYS 101 + 102 = 89%

(CHEM 203 and 204 in progress)

PCAT : 74th

ECs: Volunteers at the church, pharmacy, school activities
MMI: poor

I know now that the MMI is REALLY important...

Congrats to anyone who got in :)

Do they send out all the acceptance letters at once?
Or are they in batches?

I'm choosing to believe that they send them out in batches. They interviewed us in batches, so it would make sense to send out acceptance letters in batches. Sending 224 emails is a lot.

For me to believe that they sent out acceptance letters all at once is stressful (even if it may or may not be true)... so I'm choosing a belief where I feel empowerment and hope. :) I've yet to get a letter.

Seems like they changed the way they would send out the letters this year - it was more of less the same time last year for those accepted. Although this new method seems better since it's much quicker...

Regardless, for those that got in, welcome to the Faculty! (p.s., I recommend you buy the latest addition of Therapeutic Choices (6/e) from CPhA - this is the only required text in 1st year and this option is much cheaper than purchasing from the Bookstore on campus)

For those still waiting, let the suspense build, makes it all the sweeter when you get in :) :xf:

And for those that didn't get in, you'll be more prepared next year given that you know the types of questions that will be asked. It's a long wait until the next application cycle (I would know, did it way too many times), but use the time in-between wisely to improve those statistics.

And for those that didn't get in, you'll be more prepared next year given that you know the types of questions that will be asked. It's a long wait until the next application cycle (I would know, did it way too many times), but use the time in-between wisely to improve those statistics.

aanickaa, just wondering, how many times DID you apply? (if you don't mind sharing). This is my first time applying to UBC, but I think 3rd time applying to UofT - rejected by UBC, waitlisted for UofT for this year (was rejected the previous years). Thinking of giving it another chance next year, so I was just wondering up to how many times others applied before they were finally accepted.

Congratulations and welcome to the faculty! You get to enjoy the new building from the beginning :D

aanickaa, just wondering, how many times DID you apply? (if you don't mind sharing). This is my first time applying to UBC, but I think 3rd time applying to UofT - rejected by UBC, waitlisted for UofT for this year (was rejected the previous years). Thinking of giving it another chance next year, so I was just wondering up to how many times others applied before they were finally accepted.

I applied three times as well, once with the interview panel method and then twice with the MMI. Went from missing the cutoff by 4 spots to being ranked 4th from the bottom (that hurt for a while...) to getting in last year, so anything is possible. I think 4 times is quite reasonable, especially if you feel pharmacy is the right fit for you. I'm sure you've heard stories of people in med having needed to apply 5 or 6 times before getting in, just need some perseverance sometimes.

Did anyone get a waitlist email?
I still haven't received any email yet.....

hey Island 123 me and a couple of other people on this thread are in the same situation.

Ic, so I am assuming we are out of luck for the acceptance letter, best hope is the waitlist now....

It's hard to believe that the large number of us that did not receive anything are all on the waiting list. hopefully, they'll send another round of offers tom. morning.

how is it there are 17 people currently on this thread, and yet no one is talking?

Hi,

did anyone get an offer of admission on their UBC CWL SSC? I recieved an acceptance email today, but not offer on the SSC.

Thanks

It'll be updated when everyone gets their offer of admission - give it a week. Your registration date will also be adjusted accordingly.