University of British Columbia (UBC) Pharmacy Class of 2018 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aanickaa

♠ ∑ℵιζκ = ∞ ♠
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Discussion specifically geared towards applicants of the 2018 pharmacy class at UBC (Fall 2014 entry)

Post away! :)

MMI Practice FB Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/234524753410818/

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Heya! I'm an OOP aplicant for the 2014 cycle. I dont really know if i have a chance despite my above average credentials :(

Focus on interview/MMI preparation and you should be fine - the benefits of a large class size :)!

Members don't see this ad :)
YAY, I've been waiting for someone to make this thread after being pretty active on last year's thread.
:D

Just thought I would share...

http://carlywongv2.wordpress.com/2013/11/21/blogging-at-work-like-a-boss/

Regarding new changes to the admission process for 2014.

Edit: I just went on to the pharmacy website to see if they've updated their application process and it appears that PHYS 101 and the PCAT are still part of the admission process. These changes are a proposed agenda meeting minute for the Vancouver Senate (http://senate.ubc.ca/files/downloads/va_20131120_agenda.pdf). Don't take my 100% word on it until Pharmacy actually says something though. :D

Reactions: 1 user
Cool post, clam28. Wouldn't be surprised if the Faculty updated their website in the coming weeks. Perhaps a way to attract more applicants...?

Hi guys,

Do you know why they are getting rid of PCAT and Phys. 101?
And do u know if it will be effective only for this cycle and not the 2015 cycle?
And how competitive is this year?

Hi guys,

Do you know why they are getting rid of PCAT and Phys. 101?
And do u know if it will be effective only for this cycle and not the 2015 cycle?
And how competitive is this year?

Based on what they've updated on the site, if anything, it's going to be applicable on the 2015 cycle onwards (until of course, the E2PD program kicks in in a few years time...)

Hey guys,

I will also be applying for the 2014-2018 batch. If anyone has any idea, I'd like to know how one can start looking for volunteer opportunities (or perhaps a job) at a pharmacy.

Thanks and best of luck to you all.

Hey guys,

I will also be applying for the 2014-2018 batch. If anyone has any idea, I'd like to know how one can start looking for volunteer opportunities (or perhaps a job) at a pharmacy.

Thanks and best of luck to you all.

Walk in and drop off a resume or check out each chain's websites for employment opportunities. Be prepared for failure if you're applying for a job but also with volunteering - not everyone's going to accept you even as "free" labour. The faster you get the ball rolling, the faster an opportunity is going to present itself!

What kind of marks have people gotten into UBC pharmacy with?

What kind of marks have people gotten into UBC pharmacy with?

It is now quite possible to get into the Faculty with an average in the low 70's (as per admitted students) due to the heavier emphasis on one's MMI score. However, the overall average of admitted students as a pool is likely still in the mid-70 to low 80's range.

n.b. course averages in our "core" second and third pharmacy years generally range from 75-90%

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello Aanickaa,
Thank you for such a great forum.
I'm in 1st year, I have just taken my first Pcat this Tuesday and I only got ** (Chem, Bio and Math were all above ** but Reading and Verbal were :'( ). However, my gpa is **.
I am so scared. I have not been able to concentrate in classes since then.
Should I even pay $132 to apply to ubc pharm? I really want to and need to get in this year, but I don't want to waste my money if my chance is low.
Please let me know your opinion as soon as possible.

That was 'sufficient' (for at least one person to get an interview (and who was later admitted)) last year for what it's worth. That was 'sufficient' the year before that. And, that was also enough to get in in my year. We're approaching the last application cycle before the start of the E2PD program so how that may influence this year's pool of applicants is anyone's guess. All I can say is that, based off word-of-mouth from the years since the increase in enrolment, you should be competitive enough for an interview depending on how well you sell yourself on the application. After that, it will be a 'battle' between other applicants during the MMIs for your overall ranking.

I would go for it. If you want pharmacy, go for it. $132 could change your world. If you don't like it after two years (year one is not a good gauge at whether you'll find a connection or enjoyment for it), change programs. Things will eventually work out no matter what you choose to do - just don't overthink the situation and let this affect your school performance. Better things to be worried about, like, what you're going to do during your break if UBCSecure and UBCVisitor both break down.

Last edited:
How important are the essays in the application? And should I prepare for the MMI now or wait until I get into the Interview round? Thank you :)

Thought I might be the first to put up the stats,
I'm a SFU transfer, just took my PCAT tonight

GPA of 3.62 = 79.5% UBC percentage
PCAT: 82 percentile (could of done better but more than satisfied)

Looking at the last year's thread and their statistics, admission seems promising!

Hi everyone, what's the likelihood of getting in if you're an out-of-BC applicant? The website makes it seem like only a handful Non-BC applicants get in. Is this speculation true?

Looking at the last year's thread and their statistics, admission seems promising!

Wow, your average and PCAT percentile are very very promising! Are you doing your second year at UBC? Good luck :D

Wow, your average and PCAT percentile are very very promising! Are you doing your second year at UBC? Good luck :D

Thanks bud!! Nah I should of been more clear, I'm currently in my second year at SFU, hoping to transfer.:xf:

Hi everyone, what's the likelihood of getting in if you're an out-of-BC applicant? The website makes it seem like only a handful Non-BC applicants get in. Is this speculation true?

Its just preference is given to BC residents,
Not 100% sure but looking back at the previous threads over the years I believe there were some OOP applicants that got in

Its just preference is given to BC residents,
Not 100% sure but looking back at the previous threads over the years I believe there were some OOP applicants that got in
I'm currently in first year pharmacy and it's safe to say that we do accept quite a handful of OOP applicants. Of my class of 224, I've met at least 10 people OOP. I know that's not a lot, but it's better than none! BUTTT.. there's also a lot of people whom I haven't met yet, so there's most likely more!

I heard that the PCAT and application scores are considered for invitation to the MMI but afterwards, the MMI score is the only determinant in whether you are accepted into Pharmacy or not. Does anyone know whether this is true or does the PCAT, application, and the MMI all contribute in the final decision?

I heard that the PCAT and application scores are considered for invitation to the MMI but afterwards, the MMI score is the only determinant in whether you are accepted into Pharmacy or not. Does anyone know whether this is true or does the PCAT, application, and the MMI all contribute in the final decision?

It seems somewhat logical because there are some people with unbelievable stats like a 90s PCAT and 80s GPA that didn't get in the previous years BUT having said that, if two candidates did equally well in the MMI they would obviously go for the one with the better credentials, so I guess it's kinda like a tie-breaker

When do interview invites come out?

When do interview invites come out?

As per the Faculty website..."Interviews for qualified 2014 Winter applicants will be held in early May."

Which would probably mean invitations would be sent out mid to late April. Something to contact the Admissions Office about directly if you want a definitive answer, as the interview process seems to have shifted a little this year over past ones..

As per the Faculty website..."Interviews for qualified 2014 Winter applicants will be held in early May."

Which would probably mean invitations would be sent out mid to late April. Something to contact the Admissions Office about directly if you want a definitive answer, as the interview process seems to have shifted a little this year over past ones..

That's so far away :'( It would be nice to know for sure if you got in or not earlier so you can at least have some peace of mind and plan your next move if you dont get in.

Hey I go to SFU too! How did u convert your gpa to UBC percentage? I couldn't find it anywhere.

I think my average was around 80, (Langara Transfer)PCAT: 98Hopefully!From what I heard, Interviews are in March, admission isn't until late August?

I think my average was around 80, (Langara Transfer)PCAT: 98Hopefully!From what I heard, Interviews are in March, admission isn't until late August?
Interview invitations came out mid-May. Interviews are in early June usually and admission was granted at the end of June. That's how it worked for this year's entering class anyhow.

Do I have a chance with 3.3 gpa (4.33 scale) and 76 Pcat?
I volunteered at a pharmacy for a year now as well as couple other places.

Is anyone else starting to have some nervousness set in?

I feel ya. It's difficult to not think about it. There is nothing else we can do but hope for the best and prepare for the possibility of a MMI invitation! Preparation is key :) On that note, anyone up to practice for the MMI? :p

I feel ya. It's difficult to not think about it. There is nothing else we can do but hope for the best and prepare for the possibility of a MMI invitation! Preparation is key :) On that note, anyone up to practice for the MMI? :p
I'd be happy to practice but it's a little early now. Lets wait until April and thenb we can all get together.

Did everyone receive the email yesterday?

Tell me about it bud........Really annoys people like me whose ultimate goal is getting that PharmD, looks like UofT is looking very appealing right now

Same here...UBC is a back up for me luckily since I'm from Toronto and really hoping to get into UofT. The good thing about UofT is that even though the PharmD is officially going to start from this year (class of 2018) they will award the PharmD to students in the past 4 years (the BPharm batch). Where are you from?

Same here...UBC is a back up for me luckily since I'm from Toronto and really hoping to get into UofT. The good thing about UofT is that even though the PharmD is officially going to start from this year (class of 2018) they will award the PharmD to students in the past 4 years (the BPharm batch). Where are you from?

I'm from Vancouver but got tons of family in Toronto, so I'm considering both places for sure. Plus I heard the night life is way better there too :p

I'm from Vancouver but got tons of family in Toronto, so I'm considering both places for sure. Plus I heard the night life is way better there too :p

Nice! So i'm guessing you got an interview from UofT?

Nice! So i'm guessing you got an interview from UofT?

I got May 10th, now I just have to get myself across to the east coast to take that interview but I wish our thread was as active as UofTs :(

No worries^ I'm expecting people to flood this thread as soon as they receive their invitation for a MMI :)

I got May 10th, now I just have to get myself across to the east coast to take that interview but I wish our thread was as active as UofTs :(

It's ok I'll have to get myself all the way to the west coast if I get an interview

Hey guys, I applied to UBC as well! I really wish they would post interview dates soon! I also don't know if I have a shot at UBC, my GPA isn't stellar, but I think I have a pretty decent PCAT... :nailbiting: