University of California Davis Residency Reviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SecretReviewer

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know Dr. Will rotated here so he probably knows more than I do. Feel free to add comments. Overall- really really liked this program.

Residents: There was a good turnout the night before for dinner and during our interview day, and everyone seemed very nice and laid back. They all stressed how happy they were with their program and how well prepared they would be when they graduated. Seemed like most are the west coast originally, but there were some people from other areas of the country.

Faculty: The PD is very nice and personable, and I think he does everything he can to make the residency better. In short, I would love someone like him to be the PD at whatever program I end up at! The other faculty I interviewed with were cool and approachable. The faculty produce a lot of research every year. The PD was quick to point out that he feels that a lot more faculty are on at one time as compared to other programs, so there is more time for teaching.

Facilities/Ancillary services: The ED is pretty standard, divided into three areas according to pediatrics/acuity. It isn't super big, maybe around 40 beds, and they see around 60,000 per year. There is construction for a new surgery/emergency pavilion currently underway and it is supposed to be done in 2008. The new ED will be bigger, 60 beds or more. You are not starting your own IVs all the time or taking pts to xray.

Curriculum: I like their curriculum a lot. They split their time about 70/30 between UC-Davis and at Kaiser ED in South Sac. The patients at UC-Davis tend to be sicker, and the patients at South Sac are less sick- abd pain, etc. There is usually only 1 resident on at a time at Kaiser, so you work only with attendings and the attendings grab you if there is something cool. As a third year, you spend much more time with the sickest patients, and you are expected to know the board in the area you are working in. They do tons of ultrasound at South Sac- like the attendings do their own DVT studies. They do a fair amount at Davis too, they do have 4 machines.

They get tons and tons of trauma since they are the referring center for trauma in most of Northern California. The ED handles all airways. Anesthesia is not called. Surgery does come for all trauma team activations, and I didn't get a good handle on how they work together-maybe Dr. Will can elaborate. Overall the residents said everyone gets along fine with occasional conflicts.
One of the residents told me I would get more than my fill on my trauma month.

The off service rotations seemed very strong. They do their anesthesia rotation at Kaiser, so there are no other residents around, and all you do is intubate that month for a few hours in the morning. Other residents talked about how much they liked their ortho month, and someone was talking about how awesome their opthamology rotation was, with other residents nodding in agreement (I have not heard that at any other program!). The PD wants the off-service rotations to relate directly to EM, and not doing scut work for other programs.

They require a research project of publishable caliber, not a scholarly activity. They have a process set up where different faculty critique and analyze the project at different stages through your pgy2-3 yrs, and everyone has a research advisor.

Currently they do 12 hr shifts, but there is rumor this may change. They are trialing shorter shifts for the faculty soon. The PD emphasized he didn't care what the residents did and he would be fine with whatever people wanted.

Patient Pop: There is no county hospital in Sacramento, so this serves as one. Also they are admitting people who are super super sick and going to Davis for specific treatment. Overall the pop at Davis is sick, with high admission rates, lots of trauma (PD said 75% blunt, 25% penetrating). Kaiser is less sick, this is where you work on being efficient and seeing less sick pts.

Location: Sacramento, CA. I'm not from CA, and everyone was telling me how much Sacramento sucked, but I was pleasantly surprised. It is usually above 50 degrees all year long, affordable, has cool bars/restaurants, and is an hour and a half from SF, hour and a half from Tahoe. Residents do lots of outdoors stuff. Since I didn't grow up next to a beach, I would love to live somewhere like there, but I understand how people get spoiled.

Perks: Benefits are all covered for residents and partners. Like, 100% covered. One resident was telling us how he and his wife just had a baby and they didn't receive a single bill. I don't think you need to be married to cover a partner, but don't quote me on that.

Overall: I loved the feel of this program. Residents are cool and laid back, faculty are smart and approachable, PD goes to bat for you. You will be a good doc when you graduate, and can go to competitive places. (e.g. Grads have recently gone to SF, and San Diego) Research is strong also, with opportunities for those interested. This program will be high on my list.

Members don't see this ad.

I am happy to elaborate more about the places I interviewed...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) Denver: (+): amazing program, amazing location, 4th years blew me away managing ED. (-): almost no elective time
2) Hennepin: (+): very surgery-based program, Pitbosses run the ED 3rd year, critical care emphasis. (-): Minnesota.
3) Highland: (+): autonomous training, great group of people, nice location, self-sufficient residents. (-): unsure about strength of off-service rotations.
4) MGH/BWH: (+): great city, great resources, phenomenal international health program. (-) young program, 1 million potential consultants to be called
5) New Mexico: (+): great program, super nice people, SICK patients, nice outdoor recreation nearby, critical care strong. (-): location seemed a little ghost-townish for me, issues with movement of pts through department & flow
6) UMichigan: (+): huge critical care, no medicine wards, diverse training sites. (-): not a huge fan of the location/weather, worried about the # of consultants that could be called.
7) Bellevue: (+): big time autonomy, self-sufficient residents, reputation. (-) I am a little intimidated about the idea of living in Manhattan .
8) Maine: (+): the most friendly people ever, location. (-) seemed a little cushy for me
9) BMC: (+): location, underserved patient population, lots of trauma. (-): 2-4, PGY2s do ALL procedures in dept.
10) OHSU: (+): location. (-): didn't gel with the people
11) UC Davis: (+): sick pts. (-): nothing really set them apart, location
12) UCSF Fresno: (+): Yosemite, nice people. (-): couldn't really see value of 4th year, living in Fresno.
13) Stanford: (+): Paul Auerbach, lots of resources, bay area. (-): pts not sick enough, a little too academically snooty for me
14) BIDMC: (+): location. (-): unfriendly, extremely academically snooty people
15) Indiana: (+): fantastic program. (-): location

I also interviewed for the UVM Preliminary Medicine Year and the Transitional year at UC San Diego, so feel free to ask me about those...

Please note: the (+) and (-) are only my opinion. I'm sure there are several other people who had totally different experiences and therefore completely opposite opinions (which is why the match works!)

After several searches I can't seem to find any reliable info in the EM residency at UC-Davis. Anyone rotate/interview/train there? In particular, how is resident happiness/comraderie?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
UC Davis is a great program. Considered one of the top 3 year programs in california. I interviewed there and observed for a while. You will be well trained. You just have to decide if Sacramento is a place you can live. I am a snowboarder and it was very tempting do to Tahoe being near by. The residents were very nice when I visited there. I ranked them very high on my list but ultimately I could not see myself living there. The residents were scattered around the area.

I wasn't gonna chime in because my recollections are getting too old to be valuable (guys I was a senior for have finished their fellowships and returned as faculty). I will put in a good word for Sacramento. I really liked it when I was there. It's always billed as being close to stuff which it is. But it's a great place in its own right. Good places to live. Variety in that you can go live down town, live in the burbs in the east (I lived in Folsom) or go granola and live in Davis.

Sacramento does not have a huge club scene and that seems to be the reason why 4th years on the trail talk it down. I never knew anyone in residency who spent any time lamenting the lack of opportunities to booze 'til dawn after a call shift.

Here's some news about the UC Davis EM program. Long time PD Peter Sokolove is stepping down. John Rose who has been the Asst. PD for many years will be the new PD. John is a fantastic educator and clinician and is sure to carry the program onward and upward.

As an alumnus I can't say enough good things about John and Peter and the program in general. I think UC Davis should be on the radar for anyone considering an EM residency.

Anyone know if UC Davis still does 12 hour shifts?

yes they do at the main site but some 8's at the Kaiser Hospitals

Just FYI, uc Davis is in the process of switching from 12s. Next year it should be all 10 hour shifts, rather pick up patients for 8 and 2 hrs to wrap things up. It will still be 12s on the weekends so their are more days off.​

It's been some time since a major review, can someone familiar with the program (preferably a current resident or recent grad) comment on the following?
  • Average number and length of shifts per month for each PGY year. Is there enough time to pursue academic/professional/extracurricular interests?

• Are shifts stratified by acuity (e.g., “trauma” shift or “resuscitative” shift), or is the entire spectrum of pathology seen on each shift? In other words, is trauma only seen during concentrated blocks of training or throughout the entire residency experience in the ED?

• Which team runs the trauma? Is it an alternating schedule with the surgery residents? Who does the procedures (intubations, chest tubes, resuscitative thoracotomies, etc), is it shared with anesthesia/surgery residents based on odd/even days or MRN numbers? Are there any emergency procedures that EM residents are not allowed to do (RSI, thoracotomies)?

• Is there another off-site location other than the Kaiser Permanente Medical Center? Is there frequent commuting between off-site locations (outside of the dedicated training blocks)?

• Is there an EMR? Is it Epic quality or a horrendous excuse for a computer program? Is there still paper charting?

• How is the scut work for EM and non-EM months (e.g., transporting own pts to CT, obtaining vitals).

• Is the environment family friendly? What percentage of the residents are married, have children?
Thanks so much for your time and help.

It's been some time since a major review, can someone familiar with the program (preferably a current resident or recent grad) comment on the following?
  • Average number and length of shifts per month for each PGY year. Is there enough time to pursue academic/professional/extracurricular interests?

• Are shifts stratified by acuity (e.g., “trauma” shift or “resuscitative” shift), or is the entire spectrum of pathology seen on each shift? In other words, is trauma only seen during concentrated blocks of training or throughout the entire residency experience in the ED?

• Which team runs the trauma? Is it an alternating schedule with the surgery residents? Who does the procedures (intubations, chest tubes, resuscitative thoracotomies, etc), is it shared with anesthesia/surgery residents based on odd/even days or MRN numbers? Are there any emergency procedures that EM residents are not allowed to do (RSI, thoracotomies)?

• Is there another off-site location other than the Kaiser Permanente Medical Center? Is there frequent commuting between off-site locations (outside of the dedicated training blocks)?

• Is there an EMR? Is it Epic quality or a horrendous excuse for a computer program? Is there still paper charting?

• How is the scut work for EM and non-EM months (e.g., transporting own pts to CT, obtaining vitals).

• Is the environment family friendly? What percentage of the residents are married, have children?

1. Look at the website

2. Look at the website, different Pods.

3. Look at the webpage. This answer is pretty much the same for 95% of residencies. ED has neck and up for Level 1 and everything else for LEvel 2/3 etc.

4. Look at the website.

5. Look at the website. Epic.

6. This is an Academic/countyish Hybrid. Only expect to take own patients places in raw county programs in general.

7. Email current Residents on the website. Like most programs there is a mix. Some abrasive attendings, some attendings that you love. Class mix depends year to year.

Reactions: 1 users
1. Look at the website

2. Look at the website, different Pods.

3. Look at the webpage. This answer is pretty much the same for 95% of residencies. ED has neck and up for Level 1 and everything else for LEvel 2/3 etc.

4. Look at the website.

5. Look at the website. Epic.

6. This is an Academic/countyish Hybrid. Only expect to take own patients places in raw county programs in general.

7. Email current Residents on the website. Like most programs there is a mix. Some abrasive attendings, some attendings that you love. Class mix depends year to year.

The link for their website is http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/emergency/education/residency/index.html

I don't see where there is any information about length and number of shifts, how shifts are stratified, who runs the trauma and which teams own specific procedures, or if there is frequent commuting to the Kaiser medical center outside of the dedicated training blocks. A lot of this information isn't readily available, which is why I ask on this forum. I read their website before posting and I read it again in case I missed anything obvious.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
The link for their website is http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/emergency/education/residency/index.html

I don't see where there is any information about length and number of shifts, how shifts are stratified, who runs the trauma and which teams own specific procedures, or if there is frequent commuting to the Kaiser medical center outside of the dedicated training blocks. A lot of this information isn't readily available, which is why I ask on this forum. I read their website before posting and I read it again in case I missed anything obvious.

"The house staff in this program spend approximately 70 percent of their time at the 613-bed UC Davis Medical Center and 30 percent of their time at Kaiser Permanente Hospital. "

http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/emergency/education/residency/rotations.html

The vast vast vast majority of programs, EM has Neck and up for Level 1 and then for everything else Trauma might come in but they arnt interested enough to do anything and will take a quick look and leave.

There are some rare programs mainly programs that perhaps are Level 2 Trauma Centers and have a very weak Surgery department and then EM will do more than that, but those are few.

"The house staff in this program spend approximately 70 percent of their time at the 613-bed UC Davis Medical Center and 30 percent of their time at Kaiser Permanente Hospital. "

I appreciate that you are trying to help, but again, your response does not answer my specific questions.

One of my question is if there is commuting outside of the dedicated training blocks (e.g. every tues/thurs there is didactics at Kaiser (I just made this up)). I have already read their curriculum extensively and know that 70% of their time is at UC Davis and the other 30% is at Kaiser.

The vast vast vast majority of programs, EM has Neck and up for Level 1 and then for everything else Trauma might come in but they arnt interested enough to do anything and will take a quick look and leave.

There are some rare programs mainly programs that perhaps are Level 2 Trauma Centers and have a very weak Surgery department and then EM will do more than that, but those are few.

While the vast majority of EM programs do what you say (EM has neck up ...), I want to know specifically about this program, not what most institutions do.

Honestly RocketFrog, I wouldn't worry about this kind of minutia until you're offered an interview. For now focus on other things, like honoring your ER rotations.

Reactions: 1 users

We do 4 week blocks
R1 20. X 10 hrs
R2. 18 with most being 10s but 12s on weekends and in peds
R3. 16 shifts with same hours as R2s

Not stratified by acuity but most of the resuscitations go to c pod, and the more stabler patients to d pod but we've definitely had crics, chest tubes, etc in d pod.

Em runs the lower acuity trauma. Trauma surg runs the neck down for the other high acuity traumas. We get a ton of trauma and do a ton of procedures.

We work at south kaiser but also do a month at north kaiser in r3 yr. Minimal commuting. Max drive for me is 10 to 12 miles

Epic

Low scut

I don't know what percent are married but a lot.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
1. Maine Medical Center (+) No sub-specialty residency program (ortho, oto, ophtho) means you will be doing all reductions and procedures. Only level 1 trauma center in state. Majority of faculty are fellowship trained. Portland is an amazing city that is close to mountains and right on the ocean. By far the friendliest group of residents. 85K volume with only 10 residents/year. (-) diversity.
2. Hennepin (+) Prestigious. High volume >100K, lots of diversity. Lots of critical care. down to earth group of residents. Minneapolis is a great city. Manage whole ED as 3rd year "pitt boss", trauma surgery comes to level 1 trauma IF consulted (-) learn by brute force, very very high level of autonomy, no airway until 3rd year, lots of neurosurgery
3. UC-Davis (+) good balance of academic and county feel. high acuity, good volume 85K, Outdoorsy group - close to Tahoe. Bike to work 365 days/year. Spend time at Kaiser and academic center, good fellowship opportunities (-) serious boarding problem
4. Denver Health (+) prestigious. High volume. Spend time at both academic and county hospitals. Location. Reputation will take you anywhere after graduating (-) malignant, 4 year program, proud to be worked to the bone
5. New Mexico (+) good balance of academic and county access hospital, lots of diversity, residents were super cool, Sandias mountains extremely close, full time U/S teacher, 9 double boarded EM/CC faculty (-) albuquerque was a little too weird for me
6. Iowa (+) distinguished faculty, global health opportunities, good critical care, 9hr shifts (-) Iowa city, 60K/year
7. Oregon (+) location, variety of training sites, awesome turnout at interview dinner (-) 50K volume at main site, very small ED.
8. Utah (+) location, outdoors access. Community site was amazing, but only spend a few months out of three years there. (-) small academic low volume ED, pretentious.
9. Pitt (+) good variety of training sites, great reputation, jeep seems baller and great way to get admin and field experience (-) Pittsburgh seems a little rough, not much going on outside of pro-sports, new PD this year,
10. Cincinnati (+) well-oiled machine, prestigious, 6 mo. elective time, 90K volume and 100K at Cincinnati childrens, PD lets you transcutaneously pace him on interview day, full time U/S teacher (-) 4 years, location, 12 hour shifts
11. Regions (+) very laid back, 80K volume, international fellowship opportunity (-) didn't get a great gut feeling, only work evenings and nights 1st year
12. Arizona - University (+) diverse patient population, border health, global health, 85K/year, Rosen on faculty (-) Tucson is not super cool, 1 resident came to pre-interview dinner, like to do research, recently acquired by Banner HMO

Recently interviewed here, here's what I thought/found:

UC Davis: 3 year program, 10 hr shifts, max 6 nights per month often grouped together, “waterfall” schedule = shifts are staggered so new teams showing up every few hours. Academic but also de facto county. Strong community EM experience. High volume and decently high acuity, high autonomy especially on community rotations. EM gets all medical and trauma airways. high acuity traumas managed by trauma surgery (or on trauma rotation), EM gets lower acuity traumas. 3-4 Peds shifts per month as senior. Research methodology is integral (top 5 for NIH funding in country). Some EM-CCM faculty, people match to CCM. Airway fellowship is unique. Decent ultrasound, bringing TEE to ED soon. Procedure rotation at Kaiser, also more ophthalmology and OB there. SO CLOSE TO TAHOE. Moonlight as PGY2.