University of California, San Diego

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just out of curiosity, is anyone else considering UCSD from out of state?

Members don't see this ad.

I am from New York, and UCSD is my first choice. I haven't heard back from them yet, though, so I feel like I am not getting in.

Has anyone from out of state received an acceptance yet?

Well, I got accepted to UCSD and I'm from out of state. I'm still trying to decide. I was just curious because I got the impression (during interviews at least) that most people who were going to go to California schools were from in-state.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! I think that for each class only 5 or 6% of students are from out of state.

I did see that stat, I wonder what effect having mostly in-staters has on the class?

I did see that stat, I wonder what effect having mostly in-staters has on the class?

There's preference for in state. Its difficult for out of state to get in.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using SDN Mobile

I think that the idea is that you basically apply for in-state residency ASAP so you can avoid paying the out-of-state fee. Granted that is what they said at interviews and I'm sure it's possible in principle, but I'm not sure how easy that actually is in practice.

Yes. I'm from out-of-state and I got accepted. I don't think the low out-of-state number of students is due to California residents getting preference from the admission committee, but it reflects the fact that the vast majority of the applicant pool is from California. Well, that's what I heard from admissions people from UCSD and UCSF when I asked.

does anyone know if UCSD requires the CSS Profile? Or is it just the FAFSA and their own supplemental form we get later? I haven't received anything about financial aid from them.

Hey! Just wondering if anyone knew if a car is necessary for the first year for rotations..? How far are the locations usually?

Members don't see this ad :)
Made the alternate list as well. At least now I know!

Waitlisted as well. Has any rejections been sent out? Also do you guys think if we called the office, they would tell us our rank on the waitlist?

I got waitlisted yesterday also.

Last edited:
hey did any of you guys that got an interview or got accepted to ucsd take any community college classes to cover pre-reqs? does usc look down on cc pre-reqs?

There's preference for in state. Its difficult for out of state to get in.

ucsd website-
Do you give preference to applicants from California colleges?
Maybe on a Thursday.

anyone on the alternate list also get the background check email?

anyone on the alternate list also get the background check email?

I was accepted Feb 22 and haven't received any background check email (SD is the only school that has accepted me). I called up the school last week to see if I was actually accepted, because all of this is still surreal, and the woman says that once UCSD changes your status as someone who has accepted a school will they tell Certiphi to send you an email.

Did you get accepted into any other school? And if not, should I recall UCSD to see if I really am accepted? haha

I was accepted Feb 22 and haven't received any background check email (SD is the only school that has accepted me). I called up the school last week to see if I was actually accepted, because all of this is still surreal, and the woman says that once UCSD changes your status as someone who has accepted a school will they tell Certiphi to send you an email.

Did you get accepted into any other school? And if not, should I recall UCSD to see if I really am accepted? haha

UCSD is the only school I have heard anything from. I'm still waiting for UCSF :)

UCSD is the only school I have heard anything from. I'm still waiting for UCSF :)

Should I be worried that I haven't received one yet although I haven't accepted my offer? It has been a little over 3 weeks? I'm trying to come up with reasons as to why I don't have one yet, and all leads down to me not actually being accepted.

Has anyone been accepted not received a Certiphi email?

hey did any of you guys that got an interview or got accepted to ucsd take any community college classes to cover pre-reqs? does usc look down on cc pre-reqs?

i took a few prereqs at community colleges and got into UCSD and was offered an interview at USC. I think in my case GPA was a huge factor

Help! ... I have been accepted to one school (choice 2) and wait listed at another (choice 1). The one where I'm wait listed I won't find out if I'm in until after I have to decide if I want to commit to the other school. Does anyone know what would happen if I were to accept and pay the deposit and one school but then find out I'm accepted at the other school I was wait listed on. Can I withdraw my acceptance and accept the other school?

I'm assuming you got into USC and was waitlisted to UCSD since you posted in this thread?
I'm not sure, but isn't the deposit kind of an insurance policy for that school in case you change your mind about going there? So I'm pretty sure you can pay the deposit and still wait for the other school's final decision, then withdraw your intent to attend that school when decisions come out.

Thanks for your help. I don't anticipate getting my money back. I just want to make sure I'm not breaking any laws or anything.

Help! ... I have been accepted to one school (choice 2) and wait listed at another (choice 1). The one where I'm wait listed I won't find out if I'm in until after I have to decide if I want to commit to the other school. Does anyone know what would happen if I were to accept and pay the deposit and one school but then find out I'm accepted at the other school I was wait listed on. Can I withdraw my acceptance and accept the other school?
You should call the school that accepted you and ask for an extension of the decision deadline. Some schools know what we go through and try to help us out with giving extensions so we don't have to pay multiple deposits. The deposit is most likely non-refundable but you won't get into any trouble if you accept the offer of admission and then withdraw.

Should we receive an email from certiphi if we have received an offer of admission? That's how I interpreted the email though I haven't officially accepted the offer, so maybe that's why I haven't received anything?

I'm in the same boat as you. After reading above, it looks like you have to confirm your acceptance to receive the Ceterphi link. No worries dude.

Just gave up my spot for UCSD. Good luck to the rest of you, maybe we'll meet again, pharmacy is a small community afterall! :)

Me too :scared: I found it to be so much cheaper at AZ (for my situation), and I can't help it. I'm really surprised I switched to wanting to live in Tucson, but that's life I guess. Good luck at UCSD, everyone! Whoever gets my spot, you better make it count!:thumbup:

To any current UCSD pharmacy students:

If you don't mind me asking, (1) how much debt do you think you will have at the end of your 4 years? The current tuition is approximately $34,000 (and it will probably increase every year) so that would mean that tuition alone is $136,000 - $140,000. Than there is the cost of living, I am not sure what the average rent is but if it is $550 per month, than it is $6,600 per year, or $26,400/ 4years. And then with utilities, car parking cost, textbooks, commute (since most students are not going to be San Diego residents), gas, cell phone bills, personal expenses, etc., the cost just continues to rise.

I want to have a somewhat realistic budget in mind, and want to get an idea of how much all the miscellaneous expenses add up to per month or per year. I understand that it will vary per person, but I would like to know on average (2) what I can expect to spend per month while living frugally, yet still comfortably. Also for students who are working while attending school, (3) do you think it is possible to earn enough to cover housing expenses and everyday expenses like food/gas/smaller bills with the money you earn through your intern jobs, so approximately $6000 - $9000 per year? I really want to try to only take out loans for tuition, and try to work to cover my rent and other smaller expenses. (4) How hard is it to find an intern job, I know that the market is pretty saturated in the Los Angeles area (USC/Loma Linda/ Western), and also in Nor Cal (UCSF/Pacific/Touro/Norstate), but is it better in San Diego since there are no other pharmacy schools nearby, because of the fewer students in the area, and also because UCSD has such a small class size? And lastly, (5)Do most of the first year students work, and what is the average intern salary?

Sorry for the huge wall of text. Thanks in advance for answering my questions. If anything is too personal, feel free to leave it blank.

Thanks again!

To any current UCSD pharmacy students:

If you don't mind me asking, (1) how much debt do you think you will have at the end of your 4 years? The current tuition is approximately $34,000 (and it will probably increase every year) so that would mean that tuition alone is $136,000 - $140,000. Than there is the cost of living, I am not sure what the average rent is but if it is $550 per month, than it is $6,600 per year, or $26,400/ 4years. And then with utilities, car parking cost, textbooks, commute (since most students are not going to be San Diego residents), gas, cell phone bills, personal expenses, etc., the cost just continues to rise.

I want to have a somewhat realistic budget in mind, and want to get an idea of how much all the miscellaneous expenses add up to per month or per year. I understand that it will vary per person, but I would like to know on average (2) what I can expect to spend per month while living frugally, yet still comfortably. Also for students who are working while attending school, (3) do you think it is possible to earn enough to cover housing expenses and everyday expenses like food/gas/smaller bills with the money you earn through your intern jobs, so approximately $6000 - $9000 per year? I really want to try to only take out loans for tuition, and try to work to cover my rent and other smaller expenses. (4) How hard is it to find an intern job, I know that the market is pretty saturated in the Los Angeles area (USC/Loma Linda/ Western), and also in Nor Cal (UCSF/Pacific/Touro/Norstate), but is it better in San Diego since there are no other pharmacy schools nearby, because of the fewer students in the area, and also because UCSD has such a small class size? And lastly, (5)Do most of the first year students work, and what is the average intern salary?

Sorry for the huge wall of text. Thanks in advance for answering my questions. If anything is too personal, feel free to leave it blank.

Thanks again!

This is a great question. I have no doubt UCSD's a great program, but questions like these (that I don't have any answers to) make me doubt that I really want to go out there.

Just out of curiosity though, where else are you looking? If you live in CA, there really aren't many more cheaper options.

Just out of curiosity though, where else are you looking? If you live in CA, there really aren't many more cheaper options.

Valid point. The reason I say it this way is that I don't live in CA (I would really like to though). It's tough because you're definitely right, UCSD is a pretty decent buy compared to some of the other schools in CA.

There's a little bit of savings if I stay on the east coast at the other school I got an offer at. The other school I'm looking at is also not in-state, I stupidly rejected my in-state school's offer because I really wanted to move somewhere new...if I had known about the job market, the nightmare of unsubsidized loan debt, and not qualifying for need-based financial aid because of my EFC score (ridiculous) etc. I would have just been boring and gone to my in-state school.

Anyway if you have any more news about UCSD, I'd love to hear it. SD's been my dream location for a long time, I'm just not quite sure if I'll ever make it out there haha

Well, so just as a real quick calculation I wanted to see what tuition + room and board would be for a year for an out-of-stater. It is about 45000 a year in tuition, and probably around 9600 for room and board for 12 months (600 rent, 300 for food, and to the best of my knowledge that is actually a pretty darn good deal on rent). For your first year, it will be about $56000 dollars. Barring any increase in tuition, or room and board (which would likely happen), that is $224000 just for tuition and room and board over the 4 years. Now I didn't take scholarships into account, which while the lady I was talking to said wasn't much, if you have enough financial need they will give you some. Again, real quick and dirty calculations, but something to think about.

SD is a fantastic location. I love it. But I'm moving away to another state (I'll be able to get instate fairly quickly) for the cheaper cost.

Well, so just as a real quick calculation I wanted to see what tuition + room and board would be for a year for an out-of-stater. It is about 45000 a year in tuition, and probably around 9600 for room and board for 12 months (600 rent, 300 for food, and to the best of my knowledge that is actually a pretty darn good deal on rent). For your first year, it will be about $56000 dollars. Barring any increase in tuition, or room and board (which would likely happen), that is $224000 just for tuition and room and board over the 4 years. Now I didn't take scholarships into account, which while the lady I was talking to said wasn't much, if you have enough financial need they will give you some. Again, real quick and dirty calculations, but something to think about.

SD is a fantastic location. I love it. But I'm moving away to another state (I'll be able to get instate fairly quickly) for the cheaper cost.

I hear you man, the one thing (at least from what I've been told, I'd like to believe they're not feeling me a line of bs) is that you can avoid that extra in-state charge after your first year if you apply for in-state residency. Evidently California is better than some states about giving grad students in-state residencies.

Good luck to you.

Finally decided to withdraw my admissions. I know my spot will go to someone great. :)

And to Precious Roy, I did my BS and MS at UCSD, and I met quite a few people who applied and got residency status, even if it was just for one year for their respective program. What's funny is that they don't even live in California anymore, so if that is what is hindering you, I think it is very doable.

Also, UCSD's graduate housing is extremely affordable since it is super-subsidized, but make sure to get your name on a waitlist early if you want a spot (though spots move around fairly quickly as it gets closer to the start of the school year). Rent at the housing complex next to the school of pharmacy is around 483 a month. Rent at other on campus housing is I forget, but it is cheaper than 483, and includes all utilities. If you don't have a car, the housing is great option. Granted, you only get the housing for 2 years, and then you have to move off campus. You can probably find a single room in an apartment off campus somewhere for 700-800 dollars, which is still cheaper than finding an apartment in Los Angeles or San Francisco. Might I add that the weather and location is beautiful? I don't know what rent is like over in the east coast, but SD is very reasonably priced compared to other metropolitan areas in California.

I had a hard time deciding where to go, but in the end, I decided it was time for me to branch out and move to a different location. One of my MS thesis committee members specifically told me not to apply to UCSD, and experience something different because in the end, you can always go back to your hometown. I took his words to heart, and will now be starting a new adventure in San Francisco. I'm excited, nervous and extremely scared.

I've also decided to turn down my admissions offer. Although UCSD appeals to me for many different reasons (small class size, more individualized attention, pass/fail, san diego = beauuuutiful), I've decided to attend a different school for personal reasons. Best of luck to everyone, and to whomever gets my spot, I hope you appreciate this school as much as I would have! :)

I've also decided to turn down my admissions offer. Although UCSD appeals to me for many different reasons (small class size, more individualized attention, pass/fail, san diego = beauuuutiful), I've decided to attend a different school for personal reasons. Best of luck to everyone, and to whomever gets my spot, I hope you appreciate this school as much as I would have! :)

Where you going?

So anyone from the alt. list hear anything yet? I'm guessing around the common acceptance date is when they send additional offers. Wait listed at both UCSD and UCSF :lame:

Still nothing.....=( UCSF offered seats to waitlisted people today though.

Dropped my spot at UCSD! Good luck to whoever gets my spot! :)

l got pulled off the alternate list today. ^^

Last edited:
This thread has slowed down. Has anybody been accepted off the alternate list lately?