University of Cincinnati M.S. in Physiology 2014-2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah, I'm planning on applying here. I'm a little worried given how competitive I've heard this program is, but it sounds like one of the more impressive SMPs out there. Have you applied yet? Their application has been up for a while, but I think (hope) most people haven't started their apps just yet.

Yup- I applied. I guess there are a handful of applicants who are waiting to not hear back from med schools, at which point they will apply. Where else are you applying? The usual suspects? (Tufts, GW, RFU)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yup- I applied. I guess there are a handful of applicants who are waiting to not hear back from med schools, at which point they will apply. Where else are you applying? The usual suspects? (Tufts, GW, RFU)
Lol Good guesses. Those 3 along with cinci, drxels dpms, Wayne state's bms, nymc and maybe case westerns but I they suggest doing the program in 2 years or it might be overwhelming (I think it's 40 credits, almost all in physiology).
How about you?
I'm trying to get my top 3 apps in before the year so I am early where it counts

Hey guys! I'm applying here and hoping to get my app in by the end of the month. I have a question about the app that I'm hoping someone can clear up for me. For the CV requirement should we only list the bulleted information they suggest (Collegiate Extra-curricular Activities / Distinctions, Honors, Scholarships, and Awards / Publications / Research Experience) or add employment experience etc as well?

Hey guys! I'm applying here and hoping to get my app in by the end of the month. I have a question about the app that I'm hoping someone can clear up for me. For the CV requirement should we only list the bulleted information they suggest (Collegiate Extra-curricular Activities / Distinctions, Honors, Scholarships, and Awards / Publications / Research Experience) or add employment experience etc as well?

I would just list everything you did consistently during undergrad- one of my TPR teachers moonlighted as a doorman at a hotel for 3 years in addition to doing volunteer EMT. In his medical school interviews, his work experience was looked upon favorably and probably granted him a little bit of leeway in regards to his grades. If you worked at an Arby's for a semester, maybe it's not worth mentioning since it reinforces the lack of consistency already demonstrated by your (presumably) below average GPA. Especially if you're thinking about applying to the host institution (which I would especially recommend for Cinci), you need to put a lot of thought into your SMP application. There is meaningful overlap between the people overseeing Master's applications and medical school applications, such that if you haven't articulated a story worth rooting for from the start your chances at acceptance for the host institution aren't great.

In short, list any experiences that are meaningful to you and that show you weren't sitting around with your thumb up your rear end during undergrad.

Just submitted app yesterday.
When should we expect to hear back? Jan/Feb?
Also, does anyone know if they do silent rejections or will they let you know?

Just submitted app yesterday.
When should we expect to hear back? Jan/Feb?
Also, does anyone know if they do silent rejections or will they let you know?

I heard back a little bit after 3 weeks, so with holidays coming up you'll probably know by mid-late January. From past threads, they definitely don't do silent rejects- you get a flat out rejection or wait-listed (with top, middle, or bottom 3rd ranking).

I heard back a little bit after 3 weeks, so with holidays coming up you'll probably know by mid-late January. From past threads, they definitely don't do silent rejects- you get a flat out rejection or wait-listed (with top, middle, or bottom 3rd ranking).

I didn't think they would start reviewing apps this soon. I'd better get this one submitted in the next few days.

Thanks for the info!

Another post: Does anyone know how we submit our MCAT scores? I can't find U Cincinnati on my MCAT THx score release thing.

Another post: Does anyone know how we submit our MCAT scores? I can't find U Cincinnati on my MCAT THx score release thing.

Click "Create and Print my own official score report" underneath your scores on THx and save that file a PDF. There is section on the application that prompts you to upload your scores, a.k.a. that document.

Click "Create and Print my own official score report" underneath your scores on THx and save that file a PDF. There is section on the application that prompts you to upload your scores, a.k.a. that document.
Alright thanks! I did that, but wasn't sure if I had to release my scores through the MCAT THx as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, so I'm a current student in the MS in Physiology! It's been great so far. It's very intense but I feel like if you do well, it's one of the fastest possible way to overcome a lackluster undergrad academic record. I've also learned so much about medicine and I've got a deeper appreciation for it. If you have any questions, just ask.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey, so I'm a current student in the MS in Physiology! It's been great so far. It's very intense but I feel like if you do well, it's one of the fastest possible way to overcome a lackluster undergrad academic record. I've also learned so much about medicine and I've got a deeper appreciation for it. If you have any questions, just ask.

Hey! I was wondering if you could provide some insight on my chances for being accepted to this program. I just graduated from UCSD with a lackluster GPA ~3.0. I have research with the UCSD SOM (no pubs), various clinical experiences, leadership experiences at work, shadowing, some EC awards, and typical LORs. I took the MCAT this past September, got a 33 (13/9/11). I may retake it because I scored low on verbal compared to what I normally score ): (if I'm really going to is a different story though...)

Anyway, would I be a viable candidate for this program? I'm also looking into the Drexel IMS program, but I'm not too keen on the whole "learn via podcast" basis of all the classes/office hours.

Also! Since you are a current student in the program, can you confirm the 80+% matriculation rate for members of the previous class?

Thanks so much. (-:

Hey! I was wondering if you could provide some insight on my chances for being accepted to this program. I just graduated from UCSD with a lackluster GPA ~3.0. I have research with the UCSD SOM (no pubs), various clinical experiences, leadership experiences at work, shadowing, some EC awards, and typical LORs. I took the MCAT this past September, got a 33 (13/9/11). I may retake it because I scored low on verbal compared to what I normally score ): (if I'm really going to is a different story though...)

Anyway, would I be a viable candidate for this program? I'm also looking into the Drexel IMS program, but I'm not too keen on the whole "learn via podcast" basis of all the classes/office hours.

Also! Since you are a current student in the program, can you confirm the 80+% matriculation rate for members of the previous class?

Thanks so much. (-:

You have a good shot- my stats were about there with a lower (albeit more balanced) MCAT. I also applied super early... is your app in? I wouldn't bother retaking- verbal fluctuates and likelihood of it going up when you've presumably used up most of your full lengths is low.

You have a good shot- my stats were about there with a lower (albeit more balanced) MCAT. I also applied super early... is your app in? I wouldn't bother retaking- verbal fluctuates and likelihood of it going up when you've presumably used up most of your full lengths is low.
Dang when did you turn in your application? I'm so stuck on the personal statement...

Were you accepted, or there is an interview?

So I'm planning to complete my application this weekend. I have the most unique of applications, and I'm much older than their roster seems to imply (graduated in '06!). Does anyone have any idea how they treat older applicants?

Also, for those accepted (*cough* notajock2day *cough*), did you use your med school statement or you wrote a brand new one for them?

So I'm planning to complete my application this weekend. I have the most unique of applications, and I'm much older than their roster seems to imply (graduated in '06!). Does anyone have any idea how they treat older applicants?

Also, for those accepted (*cough* notajock2day *cough*), did you use your med school statement or you wrote a brand new one for them?

Impossible to really answer the first part- I don't anticipate there being a significant (negative) difference between an older applicant and career changers, as long as you perform. It's probably a plus, if that makes you feel better.

I'm not a re-applicant, so my med school PS isn't done yet. I wrote why Cinci over other SMPs and finished off with career goals. It was short.

I submitted the application this past weekend, but I haven't finished turning everything in. I'm especially worried about my letters, because my LOR writers are still working on them and I have no idea when most will finish... Also what do you think the chances are of getting in for someone with 3.0 cGPA, 2.9 sGPA, and 35 MCAT (P11,V12,B12)? Thanks in advance.

I submitted the application this past weekend, but I haven't finished turning everything in. I'm especially worried about my letters, because my LOR writers are still working on them and I have no idea when most will finish... Also what do you think the chances are of getting in for someone with 3.0 cGPA, 2.9 sGPA, and 35 MCAT (P11,V12,B12)? Thanks in advance.
If it helps any, they said that your profile is the type of applicants they tend to accept, and that the average for the currently-accepted students is 34, with a low GPA.

As far as recommendations go, see if you can get them to submit it electronically to Interfolio, that way you can have Interfolio send them all in one go. In addition, you will be prodding them without them realizing it.

If it helps any, they said that your profile is the type of applicants they tend to accept, and that the average for the currently-accepted students is 34, with a low GPA.

As far as recommendations go, see if you can get them to submit it electronically to Interfolio, that way you can have Interfolio send them all in one go. In addition, you will be prodding them without them realizing it.

Do you have a source for the average MCAT of currently-accepted students? I wouldn't be surprised at a 34 average (I know a current SMPer with a 38), but even so I caution applicants not to read so much into numbers that haven't been verified. If the answer came from Jeannie it's probably legit- if it came from a current student, unless they were super nosy, they don't know everybody's GPA and MCAT breakdowns. People on the lower end are less likely to share, statistics get pumped up. Selection bias, blah blah blah...

The most elusive and honestly the most important information for any SMP are the stats of people who matriculated to the host institution's medical school- if anybody has the gall to inquire about that information, please report back!

Do you have a source for the average MCAT of currently-accepted students? I wouldn't be surprised at a 34 average (I know a current SMPer with a 38), but even so I caution applicants not to read so much into numbers that haven't been verified. If the answer came from Jeannie it's probably legit- if it came from a current student, unless they were super nosy, they don't know everybody's GPA and MCAT breakdowns. People on the lower end are less likely to share, statistics get pumped up. Selection bias, blah blah blah...

The most elusive and honestly the most important information for any SMP are the stats of people who matriculated to the host institution's medical school- if anybody has the gall to inquire about that information, please report back!
Yeah, I called Ms. Cummins to ask a few questions. However, I didn't emphasize the part where she also said that there is no absolute cutoff for any MCAT, even though the site recommends at least a 28. I mean, we talked for a short while, but I don't want to share everything because I don't want to be ID'ed on this site in case they watch SDN, lol.

Thank you! Yeah I sent all the requests through Interfolio. Now it's just the waiting game until my app is complete.

Thank you! Yeah I sent all the requests through Interfolio. Now it's just the waiting game until my app is complete.
So, just an FYI, if you feel they are taking too long to reply, just ping them and ask them if they have any trouble with the Interfolio interface or need help uploading their recommendation.

Will do!

Last edited:
I wanted to ask anyone who is in the program or was in it: did you know any fellow classmates with low MCATs? I'm just wondering based on the class profiles online.

Does anyone know how heavily your undergrad stats are weighed as a M.S. student applying for UC's med school? It seems like most people who get into this program have pretty high stats, at least when compared to other SMPs. I'm just wondering if the high matriculation rate into UC from the M.S. program is a result of the applicant being borderline already, or if grades in the M.S. program take precedence.

Does hknow how heavily your undergrad stats are weighed as a M.S. student applying for UC's med school? It seems like most people who get into this program have pretty high stats, at least when compared to other SMPs. I'm just wondering if the high matriculation rate into UC from the M.S. program is a result of the applicant being borderline already, or if grades in the M.S. program take precedence.

That's an impossible question to answer since we don't have a comprehensive list of Cinci alumni's stats. If we take into account that the curriculum became more difficult in fall 2011 with the addition of Gross Anatomy, we can speculate that SMP grades are being weighted heavier than they were before. From talking to current students, the program directors care most about your grades in the M1 classes. The better mirroring of the medical curriculum should give master's students who do well a compelling academic case for admission to Cinci. Assuming that people worked at the same level as previous years, we should see a high number of people accepted to Cinci (relative to the amount of people who open an AMCAS). Do we?

Yes.

What does this mean for the individual? Like any cohort study, nothing. High quality students are most likely to do well, so if you've struggled with putting that on paper you're working against the odds. If you think you can do it, apply and kill it. As someone who falls below last year's 3.3/3.3/33 in every single statistic, that's the game I'm playing. :barf:

The average is either 33 or 34 on the MCAT and with an average GPA of around 3.3. There isn't just one person with a 38 in the program, there are 4 that I know of, and one guy has a 40. Despite that, 33 was the average last year (not sure what my class's average MCAT is, maybe 34) and a lot of people do have MCATs below that average, although not very far below.

High undergraduate GPA and MCAT is an advantage when applying to UC; those people often, but not always, get the first interviews, if they have done well in the program. Being from a prestigious undergrad may help as well. A good undergraduate GPA/MCAT is like a good seed in the playoffs; it might help a bit, but you still need to win the games.

Does anyone know how heavily your undergrad stats are weighed as a M.S. student applying for UC's med school? It seems like most people who get into this program have pretty high stats, at least when compared to other SMPs. I'm just wondering if the high matriculation rate into UC from the M.S. program is a result of the applicant being borderline already, or if grades in the M.S. program take precedence.

Last year, UC interviewed everyone who applied from the program, and accepted almost two-thirds of those that they interviewed. Most of those people were out of state, and UC interviews a pretty low percentage of out of state applicants. Most of these people were people who previously had not gotten into med school anywhere. There is good reason to believe that the fact that Cincinnati taking so many people from this program is because they give a lot of weight to performance in it. Indeed, I believe that Dr. Manuel (Associate Dean of Admissions for University of Cincinnati College of Medicine) has said that he has found that performance in the SMP is quite a bit more predictive of success in medical school (at least the preclinical years) than undergraduate GPA or MCAT.

Thanks so much. (-:

I know a guy who got an 8 on Physical Sciences but also scored a 33 on the MCAT just like you. So that shouldn't keep you out. The 3.0 is more of a concern. There are a couple of people in the program with a 3.0, but each of them had done some kind of post bacc work before this and there were some extenuating circumstances in both cases.

At Cincinnati, we mostly choose to "learn via podcast" anyway, as do most medical students. For a lot of people, streaming lectures turns out to be the best way to learn. So don't worry too much about that. But do worry about what it might say about the IMS program's investment in you.

By the way, gross anatomy is a total non-factor this year for people applying same year from Cinci. We have a course in Surface Anatomy, Osteology and Radiology that runs though late September, October and November, but it is not weighted all that heavily and it is not that bad. Gross anatomy is integrated into the Endocrine/Reproductive/GI block that we take starting in March, but that has little effect on most same-year applications (unless you're on wait lists or something).

Despite that, 33 was the average last year (not sure what my class's average MCAT is, maybe 34) and a lot of people do have MCATs below that average, although not very far below.
Thank you for the insightful information! I was wondering what the lowest MCAT is that you know of. I really am hoping the school gives my buddy a chance with a 27...

Also, you mentioned "extenuating circumstances." My buddy and I definitely fall into that category, including postbac-ish-related. May I ask what extenuating circumstances were, and how they highlighted them (or were they even considered in their acceptance)?

Thank you for the insightful information! I was wondering what the lowest MCAT is that you know of. I really am hoping the school gives my buddy a chance with a 27...

Also, you mentioned "extenuating circumstances." My buddy and I definitely fall into that category, including postbac-ish-related. May I ask what extenuating circumstances were, and how they highlighted them (or were they even considered in their acceptance)?
The lowest in the class of 2013 that I heard of was 31, the highest started with a 4, but that is all I know about that one. I doubt a 27 even makes it to the waitlist, they require a 28. For reference the 10th percentile for UCCOM is a 29.

The lowest in the class of 2013 that I heard of was 31, the highest started with a 4, but that is all I know about that one. I doubt a 27 even makes it to the waitlist, they require a 28. For reference the 10th percentile for UCCOM is a 29.
So that means the 1% can be 27...? lol. I'm not saying the chances are good, but just hoping they are considering. It's a small price for a small chance.

So that means the 1% can be 27...? lol. I'm not saying the chances are good, but just hoping they are considering. It's a small price for a small chance.
I'd contact Ms. Cummins. They even state the minimum is a 28, so you'd have to check with her to see if it's okay to apply with a lower score, otherwise you might be wasting the application fee.

If your friend's intention is MD, they should just retake the MCAT... a non-linkage SMP that takes a 27 (except RFU, because the two admissions committees love each other) is probably farming for money.

Ahhhh! Accepted today! I'm so surprised! If I do not receive a med school acceptance before summer, I will most likely come here. My application was submitted around mid-December. Stats: 33/3.5gpa/non-science major.

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats!! My application is not complete yet since the LORs aren't in :(

Also, what do you need to turn in for additional MCAT info? I already turned in the THx PDF file thing and I'm not planning on retaking the MCAT...

Congrats!! My application is not complete yet since the LORs aren't in :(

Also, what do you need to turn in for additional MCAT info? I already turned in the THx PDF file thing and I'm not planning on retaking the MCAT...
I believe that's all you need. :)

Oh thank you! I was worried because of the flag saying it's not turned in lol.
o_O

If that's the case, maybe you should call to make sure.

o_O

If that's the case, maybe you should call to make sure.
Yeah I emailed the program coordinator but she's probably swamped; she hasn't gotten back to me yet. Thought I'd ask on here in case someone knew.

I should probably ask about sending official transcripts vs unofficial: I don't have a copy of my transcripts so I just made a request to send them by mail, but it looks like everything has to be sent electronically... Is this going to be an issue, or it's no biggie?