University of Cincinnati M.S. in Physiology 2014-2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That's not quite fair. You're right about the workload being manageable (it is) and you sounding "douchey" (you do), but it's not the schedule that makes students neurotic and school-obsessed. The stakes are high and most people are here because they've screwed up once already. Are you really surprised that some overreact in the face of that pressure? A little more empathy for your fellow real people.

Incoming students: this program should not take over your life (do keep up your hobbies), but please give yourself every chance to succeed. It may well be a make-or-break year for you.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
No doubt people overreact.

It would be nice if someone counterbalanced the high-pressure "make-or-break" sentiment that pervades this program and nurtures these gross overreactions. The idea is delivered to you ad nauseam starting when former SMP students give a series of masturbatory speeches about how they "survived" the program. The document they give you at the beginning of the program is even called the "survival guide"... come ON. This isn't North Korea, it's just school. I swear I heard the melodramatic phrase "drinking from a firehose" so many times that I wanted to commit arson.

So many people here want to perpetuate a culture of fear in order to drive success, when the focus should be on delivering messages of confidence. Even if you leave this program having performed only okay, or even subpar, the fact that you were accepted and got through it (nearly everyone does) means you'll get into med school eventually. Seriously. You will. People with worse stats than those required to get into this program have found their way into med school. You really have to bomb it here to destroy your chances in medicine forever.

When 95%+ of matriculants are "making it", maybe it's time to tone down the rhetoric around "breaking it". The "make-or-break" mantra is not productive and I wish more people would admit it.

It's not fair to assume that everyone who gets into this program happens to be brilliant, but was in the wrong state (geographically or emotionally) at the wrong time (undergrad). People who are fresh out of top schools will obviously have an easier time than career changers and, if you're smart enough, you'll probably be able to interpret and adjust the advice to suit your purposes. Some people have been taking care of sick people (my case) for the latter half of undergrad, which means that their study habits aren't as well-ingrained as they could be. For East Asian people from California, the numbers are stacked against them so they might be prone to sweating their grades more (since the likelihood that the AAMC data was confirmed by a bad app cycle is high). Some people don't have the luxury of not taking a do or die attitude, since they are in this terminal program to help po$$ibly get into a medical school in order to be able to support their family. Not help contribute- support as the primary bread winner.

The reasons for being neurotic tend to be much more reasonable in non-trads than undergrads... it's not productive to assume anything in regard to their psyche unless they volunteer that information. The general sentiment of *most* people not needing to take the survival guide as a literal survival guide is well-intentioned, but in a program of 32 people the percentage of people for whom the advice is necessary is higher than in most programs.

tl;dr Obviously people overreact, but if you've got your stuff together don't flaunt it to people in the progress of figuring it out because you don't know why they're not killing it like you are

#empathy

Members don't see this ad :)
TheInfiniteJest is not wrong. Although you will be taking the main block with medical students this program is not as hard as med school. I have been surprised at how much I struggled transitioning to med school from the program and some of my friends have struggled a bit as well. I found the graduate physiology courses in this program to be harder than the med school classes.

I think that the "make or break" and survival lines are to emphasize the importance of not letting this opportunity slip through your fingers. We all ended up in this program for a reason, most because we f**ked up in undergrad, so I think it is a good thing to be said early and often.

It's not fair to assume that everyone who gets into this program happens to be brilliant, but was in the wrong state (geographically or emotionally) at the wrong time (undergrad). People who are fresh out of top schools will obviously have an easier time than career changers and, if you're smart enough, you'll probably be able to interpret and adjust the advice to suit your purposes. Some people have been taking care of sick people (my case) for the latter half of undergrad, which means that their study habits aren't as well-ingrained as they could be. For East Asian people from California, the numbers are stacked against them so they might be prone to sweating their grades more (since the likelihood that the AAMC data was confirmed by a bad app cycle is high). Some people don't have the luxury of not taking a do or die attitude, since they are in this terminal program to help po$$ibly get into a medical school in order to be able to support their family. Not help contribute- support as the primary bread winner.

The reasons for being neurotic tend to be much more reasonable in non-trads than undergrads... it's not productive to assume anything in regard to their psyche unless they volunteer that information. The general sentiment of *most* people not needing to take the survival guide as a literal survival guide is well-intentioned, but in a program of 32 people the percentage of people for whom the advice is necessary is higher than in most programs.

tl;dr Obviously people overreact, but if you've got your stuff together don't flaunt it to people in the progress of figuring it out because you don't know why they're not killing it like you are

#empathy
I found that everybody in my class was pretty damn smart, so while the assumption may not be fair it is pretty accurate. The first graduate physiology class does a good job of honing your study skills for the rest of the year and you will have more time to study than you have ever had before. I typically only went to the school 2x per week, for exams and seminar.

You don't even have to be brilliant to excel in this program. The test questions test your ability to rote memorize and hardly require any sort of deep thought.

anyone know how the ohio residency works? I understand that if you are in state for 12 months while supporting yourself you become a ohio resident, but how does this affect applying as a ohio applicant? I'll be in ohio for 12 months in august 2015 but isn't that a bit late to submit AMCAS?

You don't even have to be brilliant to excel in this program. The test questions test your ability to rote memorize and hardly require any sort of deep thought.
942-okay-meme.jpg

(advice appreciated, just trying to be balanced)

Most of your complaints seem to be about medical school in general; you really think the program directors at UC invented that tedious "fire hydrant" and "survival guide" rhetoric? I agree with some of what you say but I don't see why it was necessary to lob insults at your classmates.

The graduate physiology coursework is probably more challenging than anything you will encounter in the med block. That's fine because you will be swimming in free time.

Just because you don't have to be brilliant to excel in this program doesn't mean that there are no brilliant people here. There are plenty of them. All I did was point out that there are some people here who get tunnel vision and do nothing but schoolwork. You have to be blind to not see it.

Of course I understand why people are nervous and tend to get neurotic. There is no lack of empathy there, everyone stresses about their future. However I wish more people had told me that 1) you will probably do better in this program if you relax and have fun with it and 2) you will get into medical school if you want to get into medical school. Many of the posts on this thread (and on this site in general) only serve to ramp up anxiety about beating med school averages and finding time to complete all of the work and nobody needs any more of that.

Reactions: 1 users
anyone know how the ohio residency works? I understand that if you are in state for 12 months while supporting yourself you become a ohio resident, but how does this affect applying as a ohio applicant? I'll be in ohio for 12 months in august 2015 but isn't that a bit late to submit AMCAS?

(As I understand it... ) Unless you're waiting until the end of the program to apply, you won't have the benefit of applying on AMCAS as an Ohio resident. You will, however, get the benefit of in state tuition if you go to an Ohio med school (which there's a good chance of even applying as someone technically OOS since they know UC's reputation / that you have ties to the area now).

(As I understand it... ) Unless you're waiting until the end of the program to apply, you won't have the benefit of applying on AMCAS as an Ohio resident. You will, however, get the benefit of in state tuition if you go to an Ohio med school (which there's a good chance of even applying as someone technically OOS since they know UC's reputation / that you have ties to the area now).

Yeah, I think I'll most likely have to apply after the program in my current situation. If that happens I won't be a Ohio resident until august 2015 and don't you think that's a bit late to be submitting primaries?

Agreed that August is very late to submit, especially if processing times stay as long as they were for the 2014 cycle.
If there's stuff you feel you need to do still---beyond a good showing in the SMP---then certainly finish the program first, but all in all, Ohio is pretty OOS friendly and I wouldn't let that issue alone dictate your decision to hold off on applying. I'd expect that applying late will be as much of a hinderance as applying OOS, so (other considerations notwithstanding) it seems like you might as well take the chance and apply this cycle as OOS to avoid another year off.

Just because you don't have to be brilliant to excel in this program doesn't mean that there are no brilliant people here. There are plenty of them. All I did was point out that there are some people here who get tunnel vision and do nothing but schoolwork. You have to be blind to not see it.

Of course I understand why people are nervous and tend to get neurotic. There is no lack of empathy there, everyone stresses about their future. However I wish more people had told me that 1) you will probably do better in this program if you relax and have fun with it and 2) you will get into medical school if you want to get into medical school. Many of the posts on this thread (and on this site in general) only serve to ramp up anxiety about beating med school averages and finding time to complete all of the work and nobody needs any more of that.

Where did ya end up getting in?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah but then you have people like me with who find rote memorization of mountain of material quite challenging -- I thrive more with conceptually challenging but lower volume material. The real "challenge" in it for me was to find myself motivated enough to keep up with drudgery of memorizing a barrage of information.

So I found the year more arduous than a full-load of upper division classes at a prestigious university -- of course, being away from home and friends/family might have been a part of that.

How are the housing searches going for everyone? I haven't started yet but I did do a brief search on Craigslist and one of the documents in the accepted e-mail had a bunch of listings, and the prices looked very affordable. Does anyone want to talk about maybe finding a 2 bedroom apartment together? I'm male and will be coming from out of state. Looking for a place within walking distance from the classrooms and hospitals.

Actually, this program is challenging for a lot of people. Some may be able to really master the material while studying less than 40 hours a week, I'm not good enough to be able to do that, at least during the med school blocks. But I don't think that how little you have to work to accomplish your goals is a good measure of success. I'm not sure why TheInfinteJest was surprised that people from a program in which people drop 50k for just a shot at medical school would be pretty obsessed with getting into med school. That's about what I would expect.

Sincerely,

GorgeousBorges

SMP Drone '14.
Inveterate crysturbator.

Can confirm TheInfinteJest's view of this SMP class. When not mindlessly obsessing over getting into medical school, after going into significant debt to try, the only extra-curricular activity I am involved with is cry-sturbating. Although, this isn't as bleak as it sounds, future SMP-ers! Some of us occasionally engage in mutual cry-sturbation, when we really want to break out of our sad shells for awhile! In fact, 9/10 SMP students enjoy and plan to continue this lifestyle after this one year is over, largely because we just don't know any other way to live.

Reactions: 1 users
Withdrew. I got off the waitlist for UC this morning so I still look forward to meeting everyone in the fall!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Anyone care to theorize why the deadline was extended? ;)

Maybe the applicant pool is weak this year or people have given up their spots? Who knows.

I am still looking for an apartment and trying to lock down a lease for Aug. 1. I am coming from out of state and won't be able to visit Cincinnati before Aug. 1st. If anyone wants to talk about the housing search feel free to PM me.

I was curious if anyone knew how the current UC SMP students are doing with their med school applications, especially at UCCOM. Does anyone know how many of them UCCOM interviewed from the program? And how many acceptances there are at this point, to UCCOM or elsewhere?

As far as I know, 7 have been accepted to UCCOM so far (some holding multiple acceptances). At least 2 more students were accepted at other MD schools early in the cycle. There are a lot of really strong applicants on the wait list here so that first number could easily double by the end of the month. There's also a big group of people with great apps who decided for one reason or another to wait for the 2014-2015 cycle.

As far as I know, 7 have been accepted to UCCOM so far (some holding multiple acceptances). At least 2 more students were accepted at other MD schools early in the cycle. There are a lot of really strong applicants on the wait list here so that first number could easily double by the end of the month. There's also a big group of people with great apps who decided for one reason or another to wait for the 2014-2015 cycle.

How many of the current SMP students applied for the 2013-2014 cycle?

21 maybe. I haven't polled the class but it's something like that.

Don't believe the deadline was extended, I think they changed that to reflect that supporting materials are due by the 9th, which was always the case

Don't believe the deadline was extended, I think they changed that to reflect that supporting materials are due by the 9th, which was always the case

If I'm not mistaken, the materials were originally due by the 1st, which became extended to the 9th to accommodate the extended application deadline.

We're thinking too hard about this lol. The acceptances will probably posted on the website by the time we're there and speculation on something that could be totally administrative is energy that could be used on prewriting secondaries.

Can any current students want to weigh in on the differences between the Biochem in Fundamentals and undergrad Biochem? I didn't have space in my schedule to take it during post-bacc, so I'm following along with a course at Purdue where the teacher publicly posted all of the lectures, exams, quizzes, etc. (PM me if you're interested in the link).

I never took biochem in college and did quite poorly in orgo. Very little knowledge is assumed. The course here is not particularly challenging from a conceptual standpoint but the pace is rapid. Try not to fall too far behind. The biochem professor is very good and most students recommend working through his Q&A review book to get some idea of how the material will be tested on exams.

Last edited:
If anybody out there is on the waitlist/is curious, the class is only 2/3 full.

If anybody out there is on the waitlist/is curious, the class is only 2/3 full.
Ugh. I want to get in off the waitlist so bad. I emailed another letter of intent. Crossing fingers.

Hey future SMPers,

I hope you are all enjoying your summers. I know some of you may be excited, anxious, and/or nervous. Now that the current class is done, I just wanted to take this opportunity to say that though I worked very hard this year, I thoroughly enjoyed my experience. I met a lot of absolutely amazing people, and though I spent less time goofing off and partying during the program than I did during undergrad, in many ways I bonded and grew with my fellow students in more meaningful and powerful ways.

With that said, I would just like to emphasize to all the future students the importance of doing as best as you can and being committed and diligent. No one expects you to ace every test and finish the program with straight 100's; that's just unreasonable and unrealistic. However, I really do think that you'd be doing yourself a disservice if you decide to give anything less than your best. Don't settle for doing ok; really work to show everyone what kind of medical student and doctor you can and want to be. Don't get discouraged if you're not doing as well as you hoped; everyone can always do better and improve, regardless of your performance. And just know that if you find that you're having a difficult time, there are faculty, former SMP students, and your fellow classmates that you can look to for help and support. Take the time to have fun and relax in whichever way you choose, but don't forget that this program is a great opportunity to further your professional goals. To highlight what a great opportunity I believe this program is, I'd just like to say that this was my third application cycle, and I was accepted to OSU (off the waitlist), Wright State (off the waitlist), and Cincinnati (outright). I don't know the background that many of you come from, and I'm not going to try to assume. Some of you may have come directly out of undergrad and are really anxious about getting into medical school. Some of you may have been out of school for a while and are really frustrated with the process of getting in medical school. Regardless of the circumstances, I would really encourage all of you to stay focused, be diligent, and remain committed despite how hard it can seem sometimes. Best of luck and have fun next year, everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys; bit of a lurker here, but just wanted to let y'all know that I withdrew my acceptance here today. Hope it goes to one of you!

Hey future SMPers,

I hope you are all enjoying your summers. I know some of you may be excited, anxious, and/or nervous. Now that the current class is done, I just wanted to take this opportunity to say that though I worked very hard this year, I thoroughly enjoyed my experience. I met a lot of absolutely amazing people, and though I spent less time goofing off and partying during the program than I did during undergrad, in many ways I bonded and grew with my fellow students in more meaningful and powerful ways.

With that said, I would just like to emphasize to all the future students the importance of doing as best as you can and being committed and diligent. No one expects you to ace every test and finish the program with straight 100's; that's just unreasonable and unrealistic. However, I really do think that you'd be doing yourself a disservice if you decide to give anything less than your best. Don't settle for doing ok; really work to show everyone what kind of medical student and doctor you can and want to be. Don't get discouraged if you're not doing as well as you hoped; everyone can always do better and improve, regardless of your performance. And just know that if you find that you're having a difficult time, there are faculty, former SMP students, and your fellow classmates that you can look to for help and support. Take the time to have fun and relax in whichever way you choose, but don't forget that this program is a great opportunity to further your professional goals. To highlight what a great opportunity I believe this program is, I'd just like to say that this was my third application cycle, and I was accepted to OSU (off the waitlist), Wright State (off the waitlist), and Cincinnati (outright). I don't know the background that many of you come from, and I'm not going to try to assume. Some of you may have come directly out of undergrad and are really anxious about getting into medical school. Some of you may have been out of school for a while and are really frustrated with the process of getting in medical school. Regardless of the circumstances, I would really encourage all of you to stay focused, be diligent, and remain committed despite how hard it can seem sometimes. Best of luck and have fun next year, everyone!

First of all, congratulations!

I was curious whether you would be willing to elaborate on what you did between the time you graduated college and the time you enrolled in the SMP. Especially how you improved your app between your 1st, 2nd and 3rd application cycles.

First of all, congratulations!

I was curious whether you would be willing to elaborate on what you did between the time you graduated college and the time you enrolled in the SMP. Especially how you improved your app between your 1st, 2nd and 3rd application cycles.

Well my first application cycle, I really wasn't prepared to apply. I hadn't done any formal shadowing (I had shadowed my aunt and uncle), I hadn't done a lot of volunteering, I didn't have much clinical experience, my undergraduate GPA was pretty poor (cGPA 3.3, sGPA 3.1), and my MCAT (33) was decent but not really stellar. Through the first and second cycle though, I became certified and worked as a CNA to gain more clinical experience, I volunteered everywhere I could (homeless shelter, Young Democrats, Obama Campaign, Church bingo), I shadowed any doctor who would let me (in particular I shadowed a DO who worked as an interventional cardiologist a lot [+50 hours]; don't ever think that DO is any less of a doctor than MD), I took classes at my community college to raise my GPA and keep my studying skills sharp (40 hours a week of working and 10 hours a week of class), and the summer before I started the SMP/before my 3rd application cycle, I put a lot of studying into the MCAT (at this point, I stopped taking classes at my community college, left my job, and studied for my MCAT full time for about a month).

And through all of this, I've come to the firm belief that success is a byproduct of process. Don't aim to get accepted into medical school, aim to manifest the qualities (intellectual curiosity, empathy, social responsibility, exploration of medicine) of a good doctor in a meaningful and honest way; everything will fall into place after that. Hope this helps.

Has anyone who was complete around the end of May heard back yet? Apparently Jeannie returned to the office June 17 but I don't know how long she's been out.

I sent in my app on May 21, and I got an email from Jeannie saying I was complete on June 5. I haven't heard anything else yet

Do they finish looking at all the submitted applications before moving on to the waitlist?

Hey everybody,

Sorry to keep posting here, but I know that some people are wondering about textbooks and things they should get to prepare for this coming year. I know that current and former students have contributed here and there with recommendations, but I guess I'll try to more concise and explicit on things I found particularly helpful.

For your graduate medical physiology classes, don't worry too much about extra materials or resources. The faculty does a great job of providing you with the information you need to know in the form of a comprehensive syllabus, clarifying unclear concepts in lecture, and making practice problems and test questions available. However, for your medical school classes, you may want to invest in purchasing some supplementary materials. Now I would like to preface my list of useful texts by saying if you DO NOT want to spend the money on textbooks, there are online resources and online versions of these texts as well as library copies that will become available to you as a student. Just to reiterate, you DO NOT need to purchase these books. Just as a matter of preference, I like having physical copies, and for some of these textbooks I bought physical versions (but not all of them). I just thought these resources were very useful for doing well this year.

Textbooks you may want to look into for Fundamentals of Molecular and Cellular Medicine are "BRS Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, and Genetics 6th edition" (this edition was edited by the Biochemistry professor), "Lippincotts Illustrated Q&A Review of Biochemistry," "BRS Pharmacology," and "BRS Microbiology and Immunology." For GI/Endocrine/Reproduction, "First Aid for USMLE Step 1" is a great resource as a broad overview of the most important aspects of these organ systems, and "Moore's Clinically Oriented Anatomy" is a great textbook that correlates anatomy with physiology and pathology. Now, I know I prefaced this list by saying you don't need to purchase textbooks, but I think there's one important exception. The one textbook for GI/Endo/Repro that I would say you really, really want to purchase is an anatomy atlas, preferably a Netter's. The anatomy for GI/Endo/Repro is very difficult and an atlas is very useful for studying the material. Hope this helps and good luck to everybody!

Reactions: 2 users
Hey everybody,

Sorry to keep posting here, but I know that some people are wondering about textbooks and things they should get to prepare for this coming year. I know that current and former students have contributed here and there with recommendations, but I guess I'll try to more concise and explicit on things I found particularly helpful.

For your graduate medical physiology classes, don't worry too much about extra materials or resources. The faculty does a great job of providing you with the information you need to know in the form of a comprehensive syllabus, clarifying unclear concepts in lecture, and making practice problems and test questions available. However, for your medical school classes, you may want to invest in purchasing some supplementary materials. Now I would like to preface my list of useful texts by saying if you DO NOT want to spend the money on textbooks, there are online resources and online versions of these texts as well as library copies that will become available to you as a student. Just to reiterate, you DO NOT need to purchase these books. Just as a matter of preference, I like having physical copies, and for some of these textbooks I bought physical versions (but not all of them). I just thought these resources were very useful for doing well this year.

Textbooks you may want to look into for Fundamentals of Molecular and Cellular Medicine are "BRS Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, and Genetics 6th edition" (this edition was edited by the Biochemistry professor), "Lippincotts Illustrated Q&A Review of Biochemistry," "BRS Pharmacology," and "BRS Microbiology and Immunology." For GI/Endocrine/Reproduction, "First Aid for USMLE Step 1" is a great resource as a broad overview of the most important aspects of these organ systems, and "Moore's Clinically Oriented Anatomy" is a great textbook that correlates anatomy with physiology and pathology. Now, I know I prefaced this list by saying you don't need to purchase textbooks, but I think there's one important exception. The one textbook for GI/Endo/Repro that I would say you really, really want to purchase is an anatomy atlas, preferably a Netter's. The anatomy for GI/Endo/Repro is very difficult and an atlas is very useful for studying the material. Hope this helps and good luck to everybody!
In my experience the Illustrated Q&A is for Biochem is the only must buy aside from the atlas. The Thieme atlas is much better than Netter's imo.

In retrospect, I wish I had used Rohen to get a better sense of what cadaver looks like. Moore (and BRS anatomy too, I might add, which they pulled a few questions from verbatim) are very helpful for learning the concepts of anatomy for the written examinations. But the practical is a different beast entirely, and I think Rohen might have helped with that.

In retrospect, I wish I had used Rohen to get a better sense of what cadaver looks like. Moore (and BRS anatomy too, I might add, which they pulled a few questions from verbatim) are very helpful for learning the concepts of anatomy for the written examinations. But the practical is a different beast entirely, and I think Rohen might have helped with that.
I've heard good things about Rohen, but nothing is better than spending time in the lab.

So getting placed in the 'top third' of the waitlist this late seems unlikely I imagine?

Seriously though, top third could mean so much depending on how big this waitlist is.

So getting placed in the 'top third' of the waitlist this late seems unlikely I imagine?

Seriously though, top third could mean so much depending on how big this waitlist is.
I've been at the top third of the waitlist since end of March too. I guess we have a good shot being in the top third but since the class size is so small, I'm not really holding my breath :/

Yeah, I won't bet on it. We will find out soon though because I applied near the deadline so I'm fairly certain they've reviewed the vast majority if not all of the applicants at this point.

So at this point they won't be putting people ahead of others on waitlists, etc. which is what I imagine they've been doing.

Actually, this program is challenging for a lot of people. Some may be able to really master the material while studying less than 40 hours a week, I'm not good enough to be able to do that, at least during the med school blocks. But I don't think that how little you have to work to accomplish your goals is a good measure of success. I'm not sure why TheInfinteJest was surprised that people from a program in which people drop 50k for just a shot at medical school would be pretty obsessed with getting into med school. That's about what I would expect.

Sincerely,

GorgeousBorges

SMP Drone '14.
Inveterate crysturbator.
Approximately how many hours a week do you think should be spent studying? Are the exams multiple choice? Were you exposed to physiology in undergrad (did it help)?

Approximately how many hours a week do you think should be spent studying? Are the exams multiple choice? Were you exposed to physiology in undergrad (did it help)?
You should study as many hours per week as you need to. For me that was about 30-40 depending on the topics. Last I knew the exams based on lecture material were MC and the anatomy and histology practical being fill in the blank. Some quizzes in the GMP portion were short answer. Physio in undergrad helped me quite a bit as I was already familiar with some of the concepts.

You should study as many hours per week as you need to. For me that was about 30-40 depending on the topics. Last I knew the exams based on lecture material were MC and the anatomy and histology practical being fill in the blank. Some quizzes in the GMP portion were short answer. Physio in undergrad helped me quite a bit as I was already familiar with some of the concepts.
Nice to know, thanks. How do you think GMP and anatomy differed from what you experienced in undergrad? For anatomy do they still test you on origins and insertions or something else? Do they want you to ID muscles?