University of Cincinnati M.S. in Physiology 2014-2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've got a question about the personal statement for the UC SMP application for anyone who can offer an answer. The application states:

"Statement of Purpose/Personal Statement/Letter of Intent should be a written statement defining your interest in the program. We are happy to accept statements that are directed toward Medical School Admissions."

Does this mean we can use our AMCAS personal statement for this application, or is it a good idea to rewrite it so that it is more geared towards an SMP? FWIW I did NOT apply to UC this cycle.
I wrote a new personal statement tailored to UC SMP but the gist of it was carried on to my AMCAS personal statement. Btw it doesn't matter that you applied or didn't apply to UC this cycle because the SMP and UCCOM are completely separate entities.

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you notajock2day and erure for the responses.

Does anyone know what the acceptance rate is to this program? I know only ~25-30 matriculate. How many apply?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was accepted a few weeks ago! I've been so busy worrying about medical school admissions that I haven't checked out this forum lately. I'm excited but worried about the difficulty of the curriculum. This is sorta a one shot kinda program right? You know, if you do well it looks really good, but if you don't perform then you can say goodbye to ever having a shot at medical school. Does anyone have any insight into the difficulty of the program? Good luck to everyone applying!!!!

Congratulations on your acceptance. As you know, most of the coursework is drawn from the first year medical student curriculum, so the difficulty closely approximates the medical school experience. Your MS-1 peers do have a bunch of extra obligations in the way of clinical coursework, gross lab dissections, etc. so you should have extra time to study as an SMP student. I'm sure you've heard this before but the "difficult" part of med school comes down to being diligent and keeping up with the rapid pace of lecture. Beyond that it's not much more challenging than UG-level classes (maybe not at all).

I agree with your "one shot" comments. This program can help A LOT in getting in to med school but you need to commit to it fully.

Reactions: 1 user
Congratulations on your acceptance. As you know, most of the coursework is drawn from the first year medical student curriculum, so the difficulty closely approximates the medical school experience. Your MS-1 peers do have a bunch of extra obligations in the way of clinical coursework, gross lab dissections, etc. so you should have extra time to study as an SMP student. I'm sure you've heard this before but the "difficult" part of med school comes down to being diligent and keeping up with the rapid pace of lecture. Beyond that it's not much more challenging than UG-level classes (maybe not at all).

I agree with your "one shot" comments. This program can help A LOT in getting in to med school but you need to commit to it fully.
I'm still hoping to get in off the wait list, but if not I'm very excited about the program. I'll just have to focus completely on the coursework. I know an MD/PhD at the children's hospital. Do you think there is time for research or would it be safer to just stick to the coursework?

You are required to write a research paper under the guidance of a faculty member (can be a doc) in order to earn your MS. Most students opt to write a literature review rather than conduct original research but it is certainly possible to do the latter (I did not, maybe someone else can chime in here). Some people need more time to study, some manage their time better than others. Only you can know if YOU have time for research. This is something you can discuss with Dr. Lorenz if you do end up coming here. Hopefully you will get in this cycle and none of this will matter! :luck:

I would strongly advise against doing anything that will make your thesis more time-consuming than it could be.

Get your brownie points for volunteering and shadowing and save the rest of your efforts for the assigned coursework. Some people will tell you that you should do original research if you think you can handle the extra work. Those people are well-intentioned, but wrong. Even if you think you can do it and you know you will cure cancer in the process, you probably shouldn't do it.

If you're in this program, it's primarily because your GPA is leaving you unsatisfied, not your research or ECs. Having a 3.8 in this program with an underwhelming, flimsy thesis is leagues better than having a 3.5 with a well-endowed, but ultimately impotent thesis. In all honesty, AMCAS wouldn't even count it as a real grade on my application. That means the whole time I was working on it, I was just firing blanks. The point is this: what matters is your GPA and getting it up.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
So I just applied to this program (among others). Do you guys think it's too late to hear a positive response?

EDIT: Sorry, wrong thread

Last edited by a moderator: