University of Cincinnati M.S. in Physiology 2015-2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah, but my undergrad requires a year long social science sequence and I took a psych based one and then I took biopsych and biochem was required. So I've learned most of the new stuff before and just need to review. How hard would it be to fit in taking the MCAT while in the program?

If you don't need to retake it, what is your argument for retaking it? Your MCAT won't be the thing to keep you out of medical school. Period. If you spend a proper amount of time studying for your MCAT during the program and don't do well in your classes as a result, your grades in the program will keep you out of medical school. You may be able to retake and do fine in your classes, but a 34 is not the thing you should be working on improving.

Members don't see this ad.

Did you apply to medical school before or after the SMP?

I applied the year before I did the SMP, the year I did it, and then a year later (this year). Most people in my class applied during their SMP year. Just make sure you have everything in as early as possible, especially secondaries. Once classes start you'll be glad you got it out of the way.

With that said, I am curious specifically about the AMCAS application and at what point I would be eligible to consider myself an in-state applicant to Ohio medical schools. I know that UC has a relatively higher interview/acceptance rate for in-state applicants and I would love to identify as a member of that group on the AMCAS. There may not be a straightforward answer, and different people might meet the criteria sooner than others, but I'll settle for an anecdote :)

I'm honestly not positive when you can put Ohio as your residency for AMCAS. I wanted to keep my North Carolina residency so I didn't worry too much about it. If I remember correctly you are considered a resident of Ohio for tuition purposes one year after you move to Ohio- even if you're there for school. If you wait until after your SMP year to apply then you can put Ohio down, but I'm not sure you can if you apply during the SMP year. That being said, very few people in my class were Ohio residents when they applied and it really didn't seem to have a huge impact on who got in vs. who didn't. In some cases it actually worked better to keep your home state residency (assuming it isn't California) and apply the year you are there. You're still a resident of your home state and get all those tuition/admission perks, but can also get the Ohio tuition perks next year if you get in. The ADCOM knows that you're there as an SMP kid and while there isn't any official linkage or guarantees, everyone in my class who applied that year got an interview and at the very least was wait listed.

Reactions: 1 user
If you don't need to retake it, what is your argument for retaking it? Your MCAT won't be the thing to keep you out of medical school. Period. If you spend a proper amount of time studying for your MCAT during the program and don't do well in your classes as a result, your grades in the program will keep you out of medical school. You may be able to retake and do fine in your classes, but a 34 is not the thing you should be working on improving.
It's expiring. So if I don't get in on the first try this year, I need to retake it before I can apply again, which, I believe, the same situation BushyTailedAdventures was in

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
It's expiring. So if I don't get in on the first try this year, I need to retake it before I can apply again, which, I believe, the same situation BushyTailedAdventures was in

So the way the medical school courses are structured now (with GI/Endo/Repro ending the year), the only time you'd have to take it during the program is after winter break. Depending on how borderline your stats are, schools that interview you may delay their final decision until they see what you got on your new MCAT. Even if you're doing it in preparation for a new cycle, the schools will view it as you wanting to give yourself one final push into their school. You have to declare that you'll be taking another MCAT either on AMCAS or through individual correspondence if you decide to later, so there's no avoiding that it's kind of a crappy situation to be in.

I think you're better off sticking with the 34 this upcoming cycle and focusing on your school work/volunteering. You can still be verified without an MCAT and any slight lateness due to scoring will hopefully be offset by strong program performance.

How hard is it to obtain a high GPA in the program like (>3.8)? Or is it more important to do well compared to the med school average? I have ~3.5 sGPA but not sure if I should bother with an SMP

How hard is it to obtain a high GPA in the program like (>3.8)? Or is it more important to do well compared to the med school average? I have ~3.5 sGPA but not sure if I should bother with an SMP

It's difficult. That said, how much the absolute GPA matters really depends on where you apply. Theoretically, schools should be most concerned that you're doing/did better than the medical school average since that means you're better than the majority of students they accepted. In the real world, you are compared to other applicants and can get comments like "Your grades aren't as high as others who have completed similar programs." For UC, they tell you that the most important thing is to beat the medical school average. This is misleading because only UC is guaranteed to have a full understanding of the grades in this program.

Last edited:
What are you going to do about the MCAT? I'm torn with whether I should retake it before the program and risk getting a lower score/potentially being delayed with the applications I am submitting this year or just seeing how this cycle goes and only retaking the MCAT during the program if needed
I'm just not going to retake it. I know that means I wont be a candidate for UC, but I really don't have the time to study for it at waiting until after will put me at a disadvantage due to me taking the MCAT a date later in the cycle. I'm from Texas and the schools here have a lifespan for the MCAT of 5 years.

Hey everyone!

I got accepted earlier in the year and am looking for a female roommate or 2. Message me if interested!

Reactions: 1 users
I called Jeannie today and she said I'm on the top 1/3 of the waitlist. Ugh!! I wish they would just give me a decision already so I can have an idea of where I'll be next year. I love Georgetown but I feel like Cincinnati's a better deal...

I called Jeannie today and she said I'm on the top 1/3 of the waitlist. Ugh!! I wish they would just give me a decision already so I can have an idea of where I'll be next year. I love Georgetown but I feel like Cincinnati's a better deal...

Did she give you any indication as to how many people are on the waitlist?

Did she give you any indication as to how many people are on the waitlist?
She didn't...but said they've received >400 applications. Gulp.

I like Cinci's program because I feel like I can justify the cost of the SMP with in-state tuition savings in the long run. I can't say the same for Georgetown. Other than class size and tuition benefits, I see these two programs as equals.

Got accepted today! Complete 4/15. Super excited.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Quick answers to various questions:

a) Declaring in-state on AMCAS --> you can't list Ohio residency if you apply during your MS year, but if you're accepted same cycle and follow the financial aid office's instructions you will be eligible for in-state tuition all four years of med school.

b) Regarding MCAT retakes (if it hasn't/won't expire when you expect to apply) --> The gist of the advice that most people have gotten when they met with admissions was to only retake if their MCAT scores weren't balanced or less than ~33 (UC's average is a 33.xx with a 34 median). Again, not an absolute rule, but that seems to be the criteria for who was advised to do what. Total score > balance unless it's a pretty extreme imbalance. Also, you should research which schools will accept the old MCAT (see my earlier post), especially if you're not applying same cycle.

c) Program GPA ---> I know this was a question of mine when I was accepted because a numerically strong GPA is important when applying places that don't know the SMP. Getting into the ~ ±3.7 GPA range is definitely Do-able, but very hard work.

d) Whether or not to apply same cycle: If you got interviews in a previous cycle, definitely apply same cycle---just make sure to have EVERYTHING done before classes start. (I definitely had to cut my losses on a few schools whose secondaries I wasn't able to get to in a timely fashion.) If you're planning to do a gap year---still apply to UC and maybe 2-3 others same cycle (although it substantially adds to the neuroticism of the master's year :p).
--> I was told that next year's interview dates will be much more front-loaded (majority of dates before winter break, conclude in February), with fewer dates but larger interview groups. It's anyone's guess how this will play out for 2016's MS class, but it's something to keep in mind if the strength of your application is very heavily contingent on having med block grades in.

e) Jobs --> probably a better question to ask on last year's thread until further notice. Getting a job that pays well with a bio-type degree has never been a cakewalk and Cincinnati isn't flush with biotech companies or anything. If you have a business-type degree, Cincinnati has many options and I bet you could tap into UC's undergrad co-op program to get your foot in the door somewhere more easily. However as long as you keep up with shadowing and volunteering, the opinion from [UCCOM] admissions seems to be that it doesn't matter all that much what sort of job you get.

f) Yes, I'm going to bed now---and will have sweet dreams of endocrine dysfunction.

Reactions: 5 users
Got off the waitlist on Friday! I'm super happy but already gave my deposit for Georgetown. Cincy has been my top choice from the time I started applying but Georgetown has definitely grown on me so I am probably gonna give up my seat at Cincy. Goodluck to all of you still on the wait-list!

Got off the waitlist on Friday! I'm super happy but already gave my deposit for Georgetown. Cincy has been my top choice from the time I started applying but Georgetown has definitely grown on me so I am probably gonna give up my seat at Cincy. Goodluck to all of you still on the wait-list!
what were your stats if you don't mind me asking?

sGPA: 3.15
cGPA: 3.48
MCAT: 30
Lot's of research and clinical experience, some volunteer experience

what were your stats if you don't mind me asking?

Hey benjaminl1nus,

Don't take this the wrong way and I don't have any malicious intent in writing this... but you seem overly concerned with others' "stats." While they are very important, they don't tell the whole story as notajock2day mentioned in a previous post; those with the best stats in the SMP weren't necessarily the first to get accepted. I'm sure the same can be said about SMP admissions.
Whichever program you choose, please don't be "that guy" that goes around asking everyone their grades are and comparing.

Hey benjaminl1nus,

Don't take this the wrong way and I don't have any malicious intent in writing this... but you seem overly concerned with others' "stats." While they are very important, they don't tell the whole story as notajock2day mentioned in a previous post; those with the best stats in the SMP weren't necessarily the first to get accepted. I'm sure the same can be said about SMP admissions.
Whichever program you choose, please don't be "that guy" that goes around asking everyone their grades are and comparing.
You're right, I'm being too nosy...Don't worry, I won't be that guy, I just feel like it's helpful to know. Not just for me but for others who will read this forum in the next few months.

Hey all,

I'm a future SMPer, and I am currently looking for a male roommate for next year. If anyone is interested, feel free to pm me.

I have a 2 bedroom/1 bath in Norwood (about a 10 minute drive north) that can either be sublet-ted for July (i.e. house a few of you while you look for permanent housing) or offered on a full year lease. I'm moving father north, but it's a great/large space in a safe area. Message me if you're interested!

I'm a little confused, are we going to be participating in gross anatomy lab?

No dissections, but we have practical exams. We're expected to follow along with dissection sequences outlined in the online dissector (i.e. going down on our own to see what the medical students did).

Can any current/former students comment on what the class schedule/typical day is like?

Here's one of our schedules from Fall Semester that's pretty representative. It has GMP I, the first main med block (Fundamentals of Molecular Medicine), and ORSA on it. Seminar and health professions are S/U courses that don't add to your workload, they just take time out of the afternoon.

The year is pretty front-loaded in my opinion, so give it everything you've got fall semester. Those grades will carry the most weight if you're applying same year. Then the work load ramps back up to full pace once you get into GI/Endo/Repro block after Spring break.

Attachments

• SMP Fall Semester Schedule 081914.pdf
    140.3 KB · Views: 142
Reactions: 2 users
Here's one of our schedules from Fall Semester that's pretty representative. It has GMP I, the first main med block (Fundamentals of Molecular Medicine), and ORSA on it. Seminar and health professions are S/U courses that don't add to your workload, they just take time out of the afternoon.

The year is pretty front-loaded in my opinion, so give it everything you've got fall semester. Those grades will carry the most weight if you're applying same year. Then the work load ramps back up to full pace once you get into GI/Endo/Repro block after Spring break.

Thanks, that was very helpful! Are the medical school classes podcasted?

Except for mandatory sessions, yes. (Not GMP or any of the others though----just the medical block lectures). You can live stream (1x, no pausing) while the lectures are going on (though that's sometimes a bit touchy). Once the lecture has concluded you can play the lectures anytime on demand and pause/adjust the playback speed. (Everyone seems peppy and excited about the material at 1.6x :biglove:)

They also record MP3's of the lecture in case Mediasite fails---happens.... occasionally +pissed+ (in which case the official policy is: too bad. Show up.).

But you can access the mediasite lectures from the previous year's class though (virtually identical in many cases), which can be very helpful if say.... there's a computer problem and your favorite biochem professor gives the entire lecture from memory/stream-of-consciousness .....or the building firealarm keeps going off because they're remodeling... and/or a fire breaks out in Mark Pi's in the hospital cafeteria.....

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I just got an email saying that I'm waitlisted. I received an acceptance from Case Western's medical physiology program and was leaning towards that, so it just helped my decision along.

Hey ya'll! Will we be receiving our MS from the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine or the University of Cincinnati?

also was waitlisted end of april. had big hopes but after an unsuccessful MD app cycle, another program doesn't want to take me in :( well at least its not a rejection

Does anyone know if there is any difference in coursework if you do the SMP and then start as an M1 at UC the following year? (Since you would be repeating a bunch of the same classes)...

But you'd be taking First Responder, the full version of Clinical Skills 101, all of Physician & Society, the musculoskeletal block, and family practice preceptorship for the first time as an M1 --- MSK is supposed to be the only real @&!?($# block out of those additional ones.

I submitted my application on 3/23 and I haven't heard a peep since then. Should I be worried?

Do you mean you haven't heard anything since you submitted or since your app was marked as complete? If you never got a confirmation that your app was complete I'd get on the phone about that ASAP. If you just haven't heard since you were complete don't wouldn't worry, it took 6.5 weeks before I heard anything and I was complete in early December before they got swamped.

Hey this is just an FYI to anyone waiting on hearing from the UC Masters program in Physiology. Last year with rejections they included an encouragement to apply to the UC Masters of Molecular Cellular, and Biochemical Pharmacology Program. This is a one year Masters program with no thesis. It focuses on drugs and drug interactions and most of the classes are taught my the pharmacology professors that teach the medical school.

I personally applied to this program last year and was admitted, I can say that it has helped myself and my fellow student tremendously in applications to medical school, with most students who applied this cycle gaining admission to schools throughout the US (both MD and DO). I spoke to my advisor today and he said they are still looking for competitive students for THIS fall and that he really enjoyed having premedical students in the past. This program grants a Masters of science from the College of Medicine and is absolutely wonderful! Please personal message me if you have any questions as I would love to have a tradition of excellence in the program!

Nice first post. Do they take mcat in place of the gre?
Absolutely! You just need to let them know that thats what you plan to submit. They are also really considerate when considering a students overall package, so I know they accepted a WIDE range of MCAT scores last year. ( from mid 20's to mid 30's)

To review, the purpose of a terminal masters hosted at a med school where low-ish GPA premeds can do some/most of the first year of med school (that's what an SMP is) is to allow you to audition for med school by doing med school.

I can't tell whether the Cincy pharm program has any classes where you're in the same classroom, taking the same exams, as the med students. Generally any program that has a long list of objectives other than academic enhancement (many of the objectives on Cincy pharm's list will not apply to you) is not going to be the same as an SMP experience. Both would have difficult academics. Only one would have you surrounded by your future peer doctors, with all of you sharing the experience of trying to get through the program for the exact same reason together, and sharing the med school app or re-app process.

This pharm program is similar to what Tulane's been doing: Tulane has a legit linkage SMP (the anatomy cert program), and a bunch of other terminal masters degrees, including a pharm program.

Lots of people get into med school from Tulane's pharm program. Lots of people will probably get into med school from Cincy's pharm program.

Wanting to be in Cincinnati is a fine thing to want. But you'll want to prioritize that interest with having a rational plan for GPA redemption so that you can get into med school, after you're done with your terminal masters. If you haven't had a conversation with a program grad who shares your stats, then you don't know what you're in for, which is less than rational.

Best of luck to you.

I'm personally intrigued by the program because pharmacology is one of my personal interests, and I also feel Cincinnati is a great place to be. I called Ms. Thyberg earlier for more information and she said the program is relatively new but has placed students in med school. If I remember correctly 3-4 students from last years class are matriculating in med school (1 in UC, 1 in IU) and a similar amount have been accepted so far from their current class. Majority of the students go on to pursue a PhD while some others have jobs lined up. They limit their class to 25 students and also assign faculty advisers to each student similar to their physio program.

If this program is similar to Tulane then I'm leaning more towards this due to location, cost of living, etc. But as Dr.Midlife said, the objectives of this program are not the same as an SMP (i.e. UC Physio program). I already have a strong upward trend from undergrad, but overall GPA is still 3.5. I have been accepted to Tufts SMP, but may consider this program to improve my app in other ways. But if GPA redemption is your sole purpose then SMPs are the way to go.

thank you @DrMidlife, with all these programs sometimes it gets confusing, but you always make it very clear. you are right that smp is what i really need. i also have a ~3.5 but my trend can hardly be described as strong. i passed on tulane's program because of what you said in the second paragraph, and may do the same for this program as it's relatively new and might not be as recognized. hopefully i hear back from their smp program.

To review, the purpose of a terminal masters hosted at a med school where low-ish GPA premeds can do some/most of the first year of med school (that's what an SMP is) is to allow you to audition for med school by doing med school.

I can't tell whether the Cincy pharm program has any classes where you're in the same classroom, taking the same exams, as the med students. Generally any program that has a long list of objectives other than academic enhancement (many of the objectives on Cincy pharm's list will not apply to you) is not going to be the same as an SMP experience. Both would have difficult academics. Only one would have you surrounded by your future peer doctors, with all of you sharing the experience of trying to get through the program for the exact same reason together, and sharing the med school app or re-app process.

This pharm program is similar to what Tulane's been doing: Tulane has a legit linkage SMP (the anatomy cert program), and a bunch of other terminal masters degrees, including a pharm program.

Lots of people get into med school from Tulane's pharm program. Lots of people will probably get into med school from Cincy's pharm program.

Wanting to be in Cincinnati is a fine thing to want. But you'll want to prioritize that interest with having a rational plan for GPA redemption so that you can get into med school, after you're done with your terminal masters. If you haven't had a conversation with a program grad who shares your stats, then you don't know what you're in for, which is less than rational.

Best of luck to you.