University of Colorado- Skaggs SOP (2018)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If you dont mind me asking, how did you go about asking for an extension?

called them the day before the deposit was due and just asked if i could have an extension and they said yes, no questions asked o.o they gave me until jan too haha

Members don't see this ad.

I know how you feel, I interviewed that day too. I called Denver earlier today and they told me we have now until April to hear back from them. If we haven't heard a rejection yet, then we're still under consideration. The people that heard back already were "spectacular candidates who had great stats and/or really shined during their interview."

Waiting game is a killer!! :/

The next interview isn't until the end of January. Do you think they would let people who interviewed in 2013 know by then?

Members don't see this ad :)
The next interview isn't until the end of January. Do you think they would let people who interviewed in 2013 know by then?
I would hope so. I have a deposit due next Fri for a school that I didn't really want to go to. I liked Denver's program and the location, so I really want to know from them.

I would hope so. I have a deposit due next Fri for a school that I didn't really want to go to. I liked Denver's program and the location, so I really want to know from them.
How much is the deposit? Maybe if it's not too bad you can pay it and still wait for Colorado. It's already 6 days till Christmas. By now I don't expect to hear back until mid January to April. :(

How much is the deposit? Maybe if it's not too bad you can pay it and still wait for Colorado. It's already 6 days till Christmas. By now I don't expect to hear back until mid January to April. :(
Their deposit is $1000 like Denver's. These two schools had the highest deposits among the ones I applied to. I want the peace of mind of having a spot saved, but it's a lot if I want to wait to hear from the others.

I think the school has a three day period where I can get a full refund on the deposit, but I doubt that I'd hear back before the end of the year. I already received an extension from them already, so there's no possibility of pushing it back any further...

Their deposit is $1000 like Denver's. These two schools had the highest deposits among the ones I applied to. I want the peace of mind of having a spot saved, but it's a lot if I want to wait to hear from the others. I think the school has a three day period where I can get a full refund on the deposit, but I doubt that I'd hear back before the end of the year...
Ouch... yeah that's a lot. I know what you mean about wanting to save a spot for your peace of mind. Is it a school that you think you'd be unhappy at compared to all the other ones you've interviewed at? Are there any good things about the program worth considering? Maybe those questions will help with the decision-making when the deadline comes. Good luck!

Ouch... yeah that's a lot. I know what you mean about wanting to save a spot for your peace of mind. Is it a school that you think you'd be unhappy at compared to all the other ones you've interviewed at? Are there any good things about the program worth considering? Maybe those questions will help with the decision-making when the deadline comes. Good luck!
It's Midwestern in Glendale; I don't think that it's a bad program, it's just that I want to get out of Arizona, at least the Phoenix area since I've lived there my whole life. I have a few friends there for pharmacy and several pharmacists I've worked with went there and they enjoyed it. I'm also kind of apprehensive of a three-year program too; you're really busy each quarter so you wouldn't have as much time to intern and whatnot (I plan on interning with the pharmacy chain I work at).

I want to go into oncology pharmacy, so I think that it'd be good to find a school that has good rotation options for that. My interviewer at Denver told me the faculty in oncology pharmacy are pretty great. Denver's also the only place in the state they have an NCI-designated comprehensive cancer center, so I'm attracted to that.

Reactions: 1 users
Just got a holiday greeting e-mail from CU. Did anyone else get that...?
Thought it was an acceptance e-mail for a second....
This waiting game is driving me craaazy!

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if it is difficult to establish resident status in the state of Colorado for tuition purposes? What are the statistics for out-of-state students who were able to establish domicile?

Thanks in advanced and happy holidays!

Just got my acceptance e-mail. Finally!
I interviewed on 11/22.
Check your emails!!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yaaay! Congrats!!!
The best Christmas gift ever!!!
So are you still going to Iowa interview?
Honestly didn't think I'd get accepted before January but yeah, I'm not going to Iowa to interview. CU has everything that I wanted in a program and I'm really happy! Are you still considering Iowa? This is indeed the best Christmas gift ever!

Does anyone know if it is difficult to establish resident status in the state of Colorado for tuition purposes? What are the statistics for out-of-state students who were able to establish domicile?

Thanks in advanced and happy holidays!

from the interview, it seemed like there were no problems with establishing residency after one year. they did recommend you move like one month earlier so that you can have been there for an entire year before the second year starts.

just got my acceptance letter too!!!! SO EXCITED !!!

from the interview, it seemed like there were no problems with establishing residency after one year. they did recommend you move like one month earlier so that you can have been there for an entire year before the second year starts.

Thank you and congrats!!

Accepted a few minutes ago! So happy! I interviewed on November 15th :)

CONGRATS!! Yaaaay!
Let's go join the Facebook Page!

Wait, how do we join the facebook page..? Do we need to be invited?

Just got my acceptance!!! Now I have some serious decisions to make :/

Interviewed on Nov. 15th, just got my acceptance today! Congrats to everyone else as well! For the FB page, I believe you just ask to join?
Best of luck to everyone still waiting as well! :)

Interviewed on Nov. 15th, just got my acceptance today! Congrats to everyone else as well! For the FB page, I believe you just ask to join?
Best of luck to everyone still waiting as well! :)

Yaaay! Congrats!!
Happy holidays! :)

Interviewed 11/22 and got my acceptance letter today. Congratulations to everyone and good luck for those who are still waiting to hear back!

Accepted! Interviewed 11/15. Now I can cancel most interviews and save a lot of money hah :)

Me too! I interviewed on Dec. 6!!!
Congrats everyone!!
Sang- I interviewed on the 6th as well but have not heard anything yet.. What group were you in if you don't mind sharing?

Congrats everyone!!
Sang- I interviewed on the 6th as well but have not heard anything yet.. What group were you in if you don't mind sharing?
I took the essay assignment first, then had my interview, then met the 4th year students during our break. I was in group # 3 for the activity session. Which group were you in?

I took the essay assignment first, then had my interview, then met the 4th year students during our break. I was in group # 3 for the activity session. Which group were you in?

Oh Ok, I had the tour first, then interview followed by the essay. I forget the number of my group, i'll have to look at my folder but probably not the same one then? But then again I wonder if they even went with by groups.. :/
I hope I hear something soon.

Heeey, were you in group 3?
I was in group 3 too! :) I sat right next to you, do you remember me? hehe
We were such a cooperative group! ;) Lol
Congrats again and I'll see you in the fall!!!!!

Was just wondering how long it took to hear back from Skaggs after receiving the email that their application was under review?? Ive been waiting for like a month now... the anxiety is starting to make me nervous :/

Was just wondering how long it took to hear back from Skaggs after receiving the email that their application was under review?? Ive been waiting for like a month now... the anxiety is starting to make me nervous :/
omg me too!!!!! How long does it take?! Lol I submitted back in October :/

Heeey, were you in group 3?
I was in group 3 too! :) I sat right next to you, do you remember me? hehe
We were such a cooperative group! ;) Lol
Congrats again and I'll see you in the fall!!!!!
Oh wow that's awesome! Congrats!!! I'll see you in the fall then! :D

Oh Ok, I had the tour first, then interview followed by the essay. I forget the number of my group, i'll have to look at my folder but probably not the same one then? But then again I wonder if they even went with by groups.. :/
I hope I hear something soon.
I'm not sure in what order they go through applicants, but good luck! And Merry Christmas!

Hey everyone! Congrats to all who were accepted!
I was recently accepted as well, I love the school and I'm so excited!
Just wondering if any of you out-of-staters know anything about the financial aid process at CU? I called the office today and the lady was practically no help. She told me that whatever I was "qualified" for I would be awarded and whatever charges were left I would have to pay out of pocket or find another loan for. 56,000 is a lot of money and I just want to make sure I have all my bases covered before officially accepting my spot..
If anyone has any information on what a typical out of state student is awarded for financial aid or just any information in general I would greatly appreciate it!

Just wondering if any of you out-of-staters know anything about the financial aid process at CU? I called the office today and the lady was practically no help. She told me that whatever I was "qualified" for I would be awarded and whatever charges were left I would have to pay out of pocket or find another loan for. 56,000 is a lot of money and I just want to make sure I have all my bases covered before officially accepting my spot..
If anyone has any information on what a typical out of state student is awarded for financial aid or just any information in general I would greatly appreciate it!
I think the person in the financial aid office was talking about loans from FAFSA. You can be awarded up to $33,000 annually for Stafford Unsubsidized loans. When you fill out your fafsa, you can submit information about your parents (it's totally optional), and based on that you might be awarded loans for being a student in a healthcare field (though I'm not sure who provides those loans). I was told that those however, have a higher interest rate (7%+). Hope that helps somewhat.

Most of your loans will be like Sang said in the form of the Unsubsidized Stafford loans with the rest you can get from FAFSA being Grad Plus loans which have higher interest rates. Most of my classmates who took the full amount from Stafford and Grad Plus are like 180k negative after 4 years. Give you a rough estimate of how much they will award you.

Like I said before if any of you guys want a Californian's perspective of moving to CO, hit me up.

C/O 2013

Most of your loans will be like Sang said in the form of the Unsubsidized Stafford loans with the rest you can get from FAFSA being Grad Plus loans which have higher interest rates. Most of my classmates who took the full amount from Stafford and Grad Plus are like 180k negative after 4 years. Give you a rough estimate of how much they will award you.

Like I said before if any of you guys want a Californian's perspective of moving to CO, hit me up.

C/O 2013

So the day of my interview, I drove around Aurora to see the surrounding area around the school (I'm from out of state). I found Aurora to be run down with old houses and no major shopping centers. I have a family so I usually get groceries and run errands after school, so I saw that being a problem later on. Where do the medical campus students live? Did I just miss the "good part of town"? I submitted my deposit for another school simply because I didn't see anything I liked about Aurora besides UC Denver....The school itself had the most amazing facilities I've seen.

I thought there would be no hope for me because I submitted my application literally hours before the deadline.. so I was shocked to get an interview invite today! I decided to go with the Jan 28 slot :)

My application has been under review since nov 12th ??? Should I call them?

My application has been under review since nov 12th ??? Should I call them?

Unless the school explicitly states that you should not, then go for it. I don't see how it can hurt.

I thought there would be no hope for me because I submitted my application literally hours before the deadline.. so I was shocked to get an interview invite today! I decided to go with the Jan 28 slot :)
Awesome! Good luck!

So the day of my interview, I drove around Aurora to see the surrounding area around the school (I'm from out of state). I found Aurora to be run down with old houses and no major shopping centers. I have a family so I usually get groceries and run errands after school, so I saw that being a problem later on. Where do the medical campus students live? Did I just miss the "good part of town"? I submitted my deposit for another school simply because I didn't see anything I liked about Aurora besides UC Denver....The school itself had the most amazing facilities I've seen.

Alot of people like to live in Lowry which is at the edge between Aurora and Denver. There's a weekly farmer's market in that neighborhood. I know alot of faculty members live around there.

I interviewed on the 15th and havent heard anything yet, is that the same for everyone else? I have an acceptance from a top 10 school, so im conflicted!
Hi,
I interviewed on the same day as you, Nov. 15th, but I still haven't heard anything yet... have you?

Just got invited for the interview...how was everyone's interview day experience? =]

I wouldn't worry so much yet guys! I know waiting game is killer, but no news is also good news at this point! :)
Just a quick question, would you contact them to see where they are? Like in terms of where I stand and where my application is? Or would you just wait?