University of Florida Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congratulations olivelaughlove! :thumbup:

Could you possibly post your stats so the rest of us can see where we stand in getting an early interview invite!?

Sure :) I'm in my first semester of being a Sophmore (I'm 19) so I was quite surprised when I received an interview. I did the UF requirements; I am currently in Orgo 2 and Physiology. And will do Physics 1 in Spring and Physics 2 the first 6 weeks of summer.

PCAT taken once July 2011: 88
Pharmcas Science GPA: 3.57
Pharmcas Non Science GPA: 4.0
Pharmcas Math GPS: 3.53

I work in a pharmacy and did tons of volunteer work. I also had my app in full to them by 9.3.0.11..so they only took 10 days to review it, super quick!
Good luck to everybody! Ah SOOOO Excited! I only applied to UF so this was an all or nothing deal :) so thankful!

Sure :) I'm in my first semester of being a Sophmore (I'm 19) so I was quite surprised when I received an interview. I did the UF requirements; I am currently in Orgo 2 and Physiology. And will do Physics 1 in Spring and Physics 2 the first 6 weeks of summer.

PCAT taken once July 2011: 88
Pharmcas Science GPA: 3.57
Pharmcas Non Science GPA: 4.0
Pharmcas Math GPS: 3.53

I work in a pharmacy and did tons of volunteer work. I also had my app in full to them by 9.3.0.11..so they only took 10 days to review it, super quick!
Good luck to everybody! Ah SOOOO Excited! I only applied to UF so this was an all or nothing deal :) so thankful!

...and the reason I got everything done in a year is because I did most of my A.A in high school through dual enrollment. Just wanted to add that in case of any confusion...

Members don't see this ad :)
...and the reason I got everything done in a year is because I did most of my A.A in high school through dual enrollment. Just wanted to add that in case of any confusion...
wow with those stats you are sure to get in! And you're going to be so young when you graduate! Congratulations, there is no doubt in my mind that you'll get accepted :)

Interview December 1st, turned in my secondaries in early sept.

So shocked! So excited! So happy!

Pcat 83, 3.55 gpa science and non science.

UF Orlando campus is having an Open House tonight :) is anyone else going? I'm trying to finish my supplementals before then haha....

I got an invite on thursday for dec.1. My assigned location is the gainesville campus (top choice). Can't wait!

Members don't see this ad :)
To people who went to the open house: how was it? What do they cover? Did you find it helpful?
I already RSVP'ed for Gainesville open house this Sunday (10/23) but something came up last minute and I might have to go out of town... Any comments would be helpful :)

I wonder how many of us will be at the December 1st interview!? :) Soo excited! Super nervous though :/ What are you guys doinhg to prepare?

To people who went to the open house: how was it? What do they cover? Did you find it helpful?
I already RSVP'ed for Gainesville open house this Sunday (10/23) but something came up last minute and I might have to go out of town... Any comments would be helpful :)

I went to the one in Orlando and although it was my 3rd year going (and hearing roughly the same information) I still found it helpful. If you haven't discovered it on their website, the average science gpa for the admitted fall 2011 class was a 3.44 and the average PCAT was an 83 composite. My favorite part about open house is when they bring a panel of current pharmacy students for Q & A. I find that most useful. If you have any specific questions about what they covered in the open house you can PM me, hope this helps :)

Well, I haven't finished sending my applications yet since I'm waiting for my PCAT score from Sept 19, so I probably won't get the interview at Dec. 1st (if I even get accepted :/). My 1st choice is st. pete, then gainesville, then orlando, and then jacksonville.

I went to the one in Orlando and although it was my 3rd year going (and hearing roughly the same information) I still found it helpful. If you haven't discovered it on their website, the average science gpa for the admitted fall 2011 class was a 3.44 and the average PCAT was an 83 composite. My favorite part about open house is when they bring a panel of current pharmacy students for Q & A. I find that most useful. If you have any specific questions about what they covered in the open house you can PM me, hope this helps :)

:thumbup::thumbup:Thank you so much for your response!! I will try my best to attend the open house but in case I miss it, you'll definitely get PM's from me :laugh:

Interviewing in Gville on December 1st, top choice Orlando :) woop woop!

Congrats! When did you receive the interview invite?

I submitted all of my materials (primary, secondary, and UF Grad app) on Friday 10/15 and they emailed me on Friday 10/22. They're moving along pretty quickly, I was surprised :)

Well, I haven't finished sending my applications yet since I'm waiting for my PCAT score from Sept 19, so I probably won't get the interview at Dec. 1st (if I even get accepted :/). My 1st choice is st. pete, then gainesville, then orlando, and then jacksonville.

You should definitely send you APP in without your PCAT, it takes forever for Pharmcas to process it.... When your PCAT is ready, theyll forward that in... Get your APP in asap, dont wait on that.

For those that may or may not know this, Orlando campus is moving next year to Lake Nona. It is nearer to East Orlando, and it looks like the new location will be offering many new opportunities in research and the like. I don't want to put out too many specifics, but personally I think it will be great.

Anybody else got invited for the December interview recently? My application is still incomplete because I'm still waiting on my letters... :(

Anyways, UF CoP finally updated their Fall 2012 interview dates (at least for the Gainesville campus ones because other campuses have TBD)

• Thursday, December 1, 2011
  • Friday, January 20, 2012
  • Friday, February 17, 2012
  • Friday, March 16, 2012
  • Thursday, April 19, 2012
  • Friday, June 8, 2012 (Alternate)
:luck:

Re: interview invites

For those who haven't heard back yet....

I just turned all of my materials in within the past week. I emailed admissions yesterday to make sure I wasnt missing anything and got a response today, telling me that the committee meets on Thursdays to review applications and that I will be hearing back from them at the end of the week. Seems like they are moving quickly... although the next few days are going to be absolute torture!! Hopefully, Ill be in Gville on Dec 1st with yall! :scared::scared::scared:

I just turned all of my materials in within the past week. I emailed admissions yesterday to make sure I wasnt missing anything and got a response today, telling me that the committee meets on Thursdays to review applications and that I will be hearing back from them at the end of the week. Seems like they are moving quickly... although the next few days are going to be absolute torture!! Hopefully, Ill be in Gville on Dec 1st with yall! :scared::scared::scared:

Wow, reviewing that fast? Thanks for sharing :thumbup::thumbup: Good luck:luck:

Who did you e-mail? My advisor told me to send an e-mail to Mary Beth Yokomi. I still haven't heard back from her and it has almost been a week.

Also based on what admissions told you, does that mean you'll be hearing back by the end of this week either you got accepted or not?

Who did you e-mail? My advisor told me to send an e-mail to Mary Beth Yokomi. I still haven't heard back from her and it has almost been a week.

Also based on what admissions told you, does that mean you'll be hearing back by the end of this week either you got accepted or not?

:thumbup: I'm also curious who I should e-mail regarding the status of my application.

I think LS12345 meant hearing back about the interview invite since UF's first interview for Fall 2012 is on December 1st. Best of luck :luck:

:thumbup: I'm also curious who I should e-mail regarding the status of my application.

I've been corresponding with Mary Beth Yokomi, I believe she's the right person to contact about your application status. She told me that she's in charge of compiling all of our application materials and handing them over to the admissions committee. Maybe you could try emailing her again. Good luck guys :)

Ya, I did email Ms. Yokomi..... I dont know exactly what she meant by saying that I would hear back at the end of the week-- probably a 'sorry, thanks for applying" or an interview invite (hopefully the latter, because I didnt apply anywhere else!!!).

Just trying to stay busy.... I think I'll paint the kitchen, haha :)

Ms. Yokomi replied to me today. She said all my application materials have been received but unsure when they will be able to review it. A pretty vague answer so I guess waiting is the only option.

Ya, I did email Ms. Yokomi..... I dont know exactly what she meant by saying that I would hear back at the end of the week-- probably a 'sorry, thanks for applying" or an interview invite (hopefully the latter, because I didnt apply anywhere else!!!).

Just trying to stay busy.... I think I'll paint the kitchen, haha :)

I hope they are not giving out rejections already... :scared: (UF is only place I am applying as well). Hope you get an interview :D

Thanks so much! Same to you! It doesnt seem like there are too many people on this thread... hopefully there is room for all of us!!:xf::xf::xf:

Hey everyone, sounds like things are going faster with applications lately...However, I'm still waiting on a letter of rec from the pharmacy tech I work/volunteer with at Shands, and it's been a month now and I keep asking and she keeps promising but nothing yet. :mad: I'm getting so annoyed that this is the last thing I'm waiting on (I'm trying to make the deadline for USF on December 1st as well, not just an early submission to UF!). So, I'm asking one person tomorrow that I think will do it instead, does anyone know how long it takes for the eLORs to show up on PharmCAS from the time that the references submit our letters? I'm curious in case this tech did submit it but it's taking a while to show up (I asked her this Monday and told her the situation that I'm applying at the end of this week to make the "mailing day" next Monday). Also, and importantly, is it ok to submit the PharmCAS while waiting for an eLOR? I read it's ok somewhere here, but I'm terrified to do that and want to try to get everything in before I resort to that (in case for instance this woman pulls out for some strange reason, I have no idea why it's taking so long, she knows me very well for over a year :confused:). Anyway, any thoughts on what best to do? Hopefully the one that I'll ask tomorrow will do it quickly for me, time's a running out! :eek:

Hey everyone, sounds like things are going faster with applications lately...However, I'm still waiting on a letter of rec from the pharmacy tech I work/volunteer with at Shands, and it's been a month now and I keep asking and she keeps promising but nothing yet. :mad: I'm getting so annoyed that this is the last thing I'm waiting on (I'm trying to make the deadline for USF on December 1st as well, not just an early submission to UF!). So, I'm asking one person tomorrow that I think will do it instead, does anyone know how long it takes for the eLORs to show up on PharmCAS from the time that the references submit our letters? I'm curious in case this tech did submit it but it's taking a while to show up (I asked her this Monday and told her the situation that I'm applying at the end of this week to make the "mailing day" next Monday). Also, and importantly, is it ok to submit the PharmCAS while waiting for an eLOR? I read it's ok somewhere here, but I'm terrified to do that and want to try to get everything in before I resort to that (in case for instance this woman pulls out for some strange reason, I have no idea why it's taking so long, she knows me very well for over a year :confused:). Anyway, any thoughts on what best to do? Hopefully the one that I'll ask tomorrow will do it quickly for me, time's a running out! :eek:

For me, I am pretty sure it showed up right away. My chem teacher must have already had a prewritten one because the day I asked her it said she submitted it...I would just keep bugging the one person you are waiting on :/
Not sure about your second question though...anyone else know for sure?

I wonder how many people will be at the December 1st interview!? It will probably be a lot since it's for all 4 campuses, but hopefully not too many so they don't reject a bunch of us. Has anyone asked Mary Beth Yokomi this question yet before I e-mail her?

I wonder how many people will be at the December 1st interview!? It will probably be a lot since it's for all 4 campuses, but hopefully not too many so they don't reject a bunch of us. Has anyone asked Mary Beth Yokomi this question yet before I e-mail her?

She told me there are 33 students interviewing so far and they'd like to increase that number to 40 by Dec 1st. So I guess that's not very many considering it's all 4 campuses and there are pretty few interview dates total.

Also, and importantly, is it ok to submit the PharmCAS while waiting for an eLOR? I read it's ok somewhere here, but I'm terrified to do that and want to try to get everything in before I resort to that (in case for instance this woman pulls out for some strange reason, I have no idea why it's taking so long, she knows me very well for over a year :confused:). Anyway, any thoughts on what best to do? Hopefully the one that I'll ask tomorrow will do it quickly for me, time's a running out! :eek:

I'm sorry about your letter :/ that's frustrating, I was in a similar situation. After 3 months of pestering a pharmacist to write my LOR, he finally did randomly one day. In my case, he was my fourth letter writer so I had already submit my whole PharmCAS and planned to just delete the eLOR request if it ended up affecting my admissions decisions. Do you have at least 2 other letter writers? If so, I don't know if this one letter writer would impede them from reviewing your application anyway-- my friend interviewed with UF last cycle and his pharmacist never even wrote his letter haha. The LOR request was still sitting in his PharmCAS. This might be a good question for Ms. Yokomi and/or Jackie Grosser at USF. Hope it works out quickly! Good luck :)

She told me there are 33 students interviewing so far and they'd like to increase that number to 40 by Dec 1st. So I guess that's not very many considering it's all 4 campuses and there are pretty few interview dates total.

I guess they'll be done handing out interview invites for December pretty soon:eek:. I wonder if they added December interview date to reduce the number of interviewees per session or just increase the total number of interviewees in general.

I'm sorry about your letter :/ that's frustrating, I was in a similar situation. After 3 months of pestering a pharmacist to write my LOR, he finally did randomly one day. In my case, he was my fourth letter writer so I had already submit my whole PharmCAS and planned to just delete the eLOR request if it ended up affecting my admissions decisions. Do you have at least 2 other letter writers? If so, I don't know if this one letter writer would impede them from reviewing your application anyway-- my friend interviewed with UF last cycle and his pharmacist never even wrote his letter haha. The LOR request was still sitting in his PharmCAS. This might be a good question for Ms. Yokomi and/or Jackie Grosser at USF. Hope it works out quickly! Good luck :)

I'm exactly in the same situation as artsygirl20 :scared: I asked someone I knew for years and I keep sending the reminder e-mail but every time I check my PharmCAS references, the letter isn't in (I only have one letter in). So I asked another person to write me one so hopefully that letter will get in sometime soon :xf:
It would be amazing if they can review my application before my letter is turned in (all other parts of application have been complete).

Sorry about the LORs!! Thats so annoying. I talked with one of my professors who wrote mine and they just log onto pharmcas and write the letter and its submitted instantly, no waiting for pharmcas to do anything.....

Thanks for the responses everyone :). Well, good news, the day I asked my other possible reference the old one kicked in, so now I have 3 good letters of recommendation. :D I'm submitting my PharmCAS tonight, and over the weekend possibly the supplemental application. My friend has already been accepted to the Orlando campus, which she said wasn't her first choice (it was Gainesville, but I heard they're moving a lot of the Gainesville 1st picks to Orlando this year because of the bigger campus I guess). Good luck everyone!

Ahh! UF's St. Pete campus is my second choice if I don't get into USF's COP. How awesome to see people on SDN interested in a school that is also in my interest!

WootWoot. :D

Almost December 1st!!! :D

Did any more people get an interview letter? :)

My letter finally got turned in on Tuesday (yay!) and I just got an interview invite for December 1st!! :love: Top choice is Gainesville campus!
Good luck to all interviewing this day and to all those who are still waiting for interview invites (make sure to follow up with ms. Yokomi regarding application status)
:luck:

Hey I got an interview a couple days ago for January 20 at Gainesville but my campus is Jax. :) (my top choice, since I live here) wish all the best of luck and the best thing to do is apply early!

GO GATORS!!! :cool:

I'm did my undergrad at UF in microbiology (3.0 GPA) and I am finishing up my masters in public health at UF now, graduate in spring (3.65 GPA). I've worked for 5 years in a lab, with the last 2 years doing infectious disease research where I have been published. Also, I am doing my masters internship at UF's COP in an infectious disease pharmacokinetics lab.

The thing is I don't take the PCAT until Jan 11, and I am submitting my PharmCAS and UF supplemental in a week or so (still writing this pesky personal statement).

So my question is what do you guys think of them receiving my application without PCAT scores? Does that hinder my chances? If I do well on my PCAT... I'm aiming for 85 or above... what do you think my chances are?

:confused::eek::thumbup:?:thumbdown:?