University of Florida c/o 2018 applicants!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iheartdogs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can't wait to apply here so figured I would start the threat! This will be my second time applying to UF and it is my dream school as I am instate. trying to get a better score on the GRE so that this will be my year to be accepted here!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone! I will be applying this year as well! Any upperclassmen that can give me advice would be great! I'm interested in small animal practice :) good luck to everyone. Soooo excited :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Bumping this thread for all my fellow UF applicants! This is my second time applying and its my instate so am really praying this will be the year for me! Good luck everyone!

I just sent in my supplemental application an hour ago (even though still waiting on my VMCAS application because of my PS). I am so excited, I really like their international certificate. I am applying to a bunch of schools but UF is honestly my favorite even though if I get into everywhere I applied (haha like that is going to happen) I would probably pick my IS school which is Cornell.

Hi and good luck to everyone! My 2nd time applying as well as an ISS... just getting ready to submit everything then play the waiting game all over again lol how many ISS who are applying for the second time interviewed last year? I did not interview last year, and am pretty confident I've improved enough to at least get offered an interview, but I know this year is going to be so competitive especially after UF hosted the pre-vet symposium last year!

Has anyone been able to put in their GRE scores for the supplemental application? I can't figure out how to put them in... I'm not sure if I'm oblivious to something but I can't get to the downloaded documents without this part. Please help!

Yeah I put mine in, I think there was a link right above that box to enter them. Try opening it on a different computer if its not working on yours

The essay asks what diversity you can bring to the class though if that helps you get started while you're figuring it out! Good luck!

Thanks Hannah1107! For some reason the Edit GRE button wasn't showing up. I finally got it after refreshing it a bunch of times, it was really weird. Thanks again!

Hey guys,
So early interview invites went out about this time last year. I know my stats aren't good enough but I'm nervous-any word on early interviews yet?

There are some changes at the school, I don't know if the timeline will be the same this year for early interviews and such.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,
So early interview invites went out about this time last year. I know my stats aren't good enough but I'm nervous-any word on early interviews yet?

Just got my early interview invite tonight, so be on the lookout :D!!!!

Got my early interview letter tonight as well! It seemed a little unclear to me, do we do just this interview or is there a chance we may be interviewed again in February?

Got my early interview letter tonight as well! It seemed a little unclear to me, do we do just this interview or is there a chance we may be interviewed again in February?

According to my friend who is a second year at UF, they interview us and then offer (or not?) acceptance to us in Dec before they send out the next round of interview invites in Jan.

Only one interview, thank goodness. When is yours? I'm Dec 7 at 9am!

According to my friend who is a second year at UF, they interview us and then offer (or not?) acceptance to us in Dec before they send out the next round of interview invites in Jan.

Only one interview, thank goodness. When is yours? I'm Dec 7 at 9am!
I am December 7th @ 2pm. Thanks for the info!

And to answer sblove17, it was by email. :cat:

Do they send out all of the early interview invites at one time?

I just got mine too!! I am so excited!!!! Anyone have any advice? How many students are picked for early admissions interviews?

Would those of you who received early invites mind posting your stats? Thanks!

I was invited for an early interview on 12/7 at 9 AM!

GPA: 3.95
GRE: Q 159 V 159

I also received an early admission invitation! I am really surprised since I wasn't even aware such a thing would exist and I am a little caught off guard because I am in the middle of a study abroad! Its really comforting to see others here that are going for the interview too though! Ive never been to florida and this would be the first time>< Im so nervous! Ive never flown anywhere for an interview before!! does anyone know what type of questions they ask? or what to wear? how many of us are there!

I also received an early admission invitation! I am really surprised since I wasn't even aware such a thing would exist and I am a little caught off guard because I am in the middle of a study abroad! Its really comforting to see others here that are going for the interview too though! Ive never been to florida and this would be the first time>< Im so nervous! Ive never flown anywhere for an interview before!! does anyone know what type of questions they ask? or what to wear? how many of us are there!

Definitely wear a suit, and I think they ask the general interview questions similar to med school except more animal focused. Congratulations and we look forward to seeing you in sunny FL :D

I was invited for an early interview on 12/7 at 9 AM!

GPA: 3.95
GRE: Q 159 V 159

We have the same interview date/time!! I'm sure they are doing a couple panels at once. eek! It would be cool to meet you though :)

Reactions: 1 user
First year applicant, graduating Summa with a B.S from FSU so I'm I/S.

GPA: 3.9
GRE: 158V 159Q (why I thought I wasn't going to get in)

LOR: 2 DVMs, the dean of arts/sciences, an MD

I've only worked as a tech for like 8 months but I have done both day practice and emergency med in that time, as well as equine shadowing. For the first 2 years of undergrad, I wanted to go to medical school, which is in my PS and might have been taken into consideration too.

Also, I wrote and defended an honors thesis and graduating w/highest honors, which might have contributed?

I just got mine too!! I am so excited!!!! Anyone have any advice? How many students are picked for early admissions interviews?
According to the UF CVM site, they had 62 IS and OSS for early interviews. I would assume the number would be similar this year.

BS in Animal Science, Pre-vet @ University of Vermont c/o 2013
GPA: 3.66
Science GPA: 3.59
GRE: V:159 Q:154
5 LOR: 1 Advisor (vet), 2 Profs (1 vet, 1 PhD), 2 additional vets

My interview is Dec 7th @ 2pm. SO EXCITED! UF is one of my top choices, despite being OOS

Does an early interview invite mean you're being considered above other applicants, or does it mean you submitted all of your information earlier?

Does an early interview invite mean you're being considered above other applicants, or does it mean you submitted all of your information earlier?

I had the impression that early invites were for exceptional candidates, and I know in the past they often get their decisions pretty quickly after the interview. I could be wrong though - I had also thought someone had told me it was only for IS applicants, but apparently it's not.

The wait to hear from schools is very frustrating as it is. We are all so impatient, I mean, it is the rest of our lives holding in the balance. I understand the wait and the process, that doesn't make it any less frustrating. But what I find even more frustrating is the topic of early interviews without understanding the reason for it and the criteria behind it. I have heard "it is for exceptional students", "it is for in state students", "it is for out of state students", etc… None of these appear to be correct. I have better scores than some of these people, so understanding why I didn't get an early interview is VERY FRUSTRATING. I would hope that it means I will get a regular interview, but, who knows… Why wouldn't schools at least release their philosophy on early interviews so that we understand? There are probably valid reasons why 1 person gets an early interview why another doesn't, why hide the background for this instead of publishing it?

The wait to hear from schools is very frustrating as it is. We are all so impatient, I mean, it is the rest of our lives holding in the balance. I understand the wait and the process, that doesn't make it any less frustrating. But what I find even more frustrating is the topic of early interviews without understanding the reason for it and the criteria behind it. I have heard "it is for exceptional students", "it is for in state students", "it is for out of state students", etc… None of these appear to be correct. I have better scores than some of these people, so understanding why I didn't get an early interview is VERY FRUSTRATING. I would hope that it means I will get a regular interview, but, who knows… Why wouldn't schools at least release their philosophy on early interviews so that we understand? There are probably valid reasons why 1 person gets an early interview why another doesn't, why hide the background for this instead of publishing it?

Try not to let it get you stressed out! I do understand the frustration though. I didn't even know they had "early interviews" until people mentioned they got invites! Try to stay positive and hopefully we'll get interview invites too!

Also, congrats to everyone who heard back! Let us know how it goes!

I agree… Even with my frustration, CONGRATS to everyone on their interview. I am sure it was well deserved after a lot of hard work. I don't want to seem like I am taking away from that.

I attend UF and can assure you that early interviews are for exceptional candidates. It has nothing to do with IS or OOS. While you may have higher scores than some of the others who received early interview invites, just remember that they base their decision on a lot more than just our test scores. I myself have an extremely high GPA and did not receive an early interview invite either. But it doesn't mean that you won't get an interview at all! Waiting to hear back is killing all of us, but just stay positive and don't lose hope!

And congrats to everyone who received the early invites! Don't stress too much, UF's interviews are very laid back and they try to make you feel as comfortable as possible. They don't drill you here like some other schools.

Reactions: 1 user

I completely get your frustration, but don't stress too much! Like fractious said, there are a lot of factors, so it might have had to do with experiences or something else. Just be glad that you do have better stats than some of the invited candidates, means you probably have a good shot at getting an interview in the normal round! :)

And again, congrats to everyone getting early invites! Good luck at them! :luck:

Early interviews are almost all GPA/GRE based. Some applicants are told the same day they are accepted some a little later. Just because you don't early interview does not mean you aren't qualified to attend Florida.

I have a question for those who did get early interviews. When you responded to Ms. Chaparro, did she respond and confirm your interview? This may seem silly, but I just want to make sure they got the email that I accepted it. Maybe I should call to check, but I didn't want to bother them if it was unnecessary. And congrats to those who get early interviews! If not try not to worry, there is still a whole other round to be had!

I have a question for those who did get early interviews. When you responded to Ms. Chaparro, did she respond and confirm your interview? This may seem silly, but I just want to make sure they got the email that I accepted it. Maybe I should call to check, but I didn't want to bother them if it was unnecessary. And congrats to those who get early interviews! If not try not to worry, there is still a whole other round to be had!

When I replied to confirm, she emailed me back the next day. In her reply email, Ms. Chaparro also provided some hotel/map info. So if you emailed her and she didn't respond, I would attempt to reach out again. I emailed the same day as getting my invite, I don't know if that matters. She may be overwhelmed with emails right now and hasn't gotten to yours yet. Then again, technology is a fickle friend, and your email could be lost in cyberspace (happened to me once with an internship). It never hurts to confirm a confirmation! :cat:

Does anybody know, just with interviews in general-- is there anything we'll have to sign or write down? Or is it all just oral? For example, when I get there do I need to sign in or sign any papers confirming anything? It is important as I will not be able to sign anything the day of my interview. Thank you!

No you dont have to write anything down.

When I replied to confirm, she emailed me back the next day. In her reply email, Ms. Chaparro also provided some hotel/map info. So if you emailed her and she didn't respond, I would attempt to reach out again. I emailed the same day as getting my invite, I don't know if that matters. She may be overwhelmed with emails right now and hasn't gotten to yours yet. Then again, technology is a fickle friend, and your email could be lost in cyberspace (happened to me once with an internship). It never hurts to confirm a confirmation! :cat:

Thank you for letting me know! I called the office today but they will only let you leave voicemails and they are not very quick at responding. I sent Ms. Chaparro another email just in case, but now I am so nervous that she is not getting my emails. I think I am making myself crazy haha

Congrats to everyone who got the interview offer.
I also got one on 12/7 at 10am.

I didn't get a confirmation email initially either, so I sent her another email yesterday asking if my first email went through. She emailed back right away with the confirmation.

Congrats to everyone who got the interview offer.
I also got one on 12/7 at 10am.

I didn't get a confirmation email initially either, so I sent her another email yesterday asking if my first email went through. She emailed back right away with the confirmation.

Holy crap now I feel like I'm going to have a heart attack. Is this the email you guys are using?
[email protected]

Just got my interview invite! For some reason my email never got to me so Lynette just emailed me asking if I was still interested! Lol a little terrifying but I'm so excited!
Stats:
In state
UMiami c/o 2014
GPA 3.64
GRE V 162 Q 161
LORs 1 vet, 2 PhD professors

3.57 cumulative gpa
157 Q 162 V 5.5 Writing
I had 4 vets write me a letter (1 was an academic advisor, 1 I worked with in a clinic, 1 I worked with abroad, 1 I did research with). I had one professor and 1 employer.
I had a ton of vet hours and research experience and a variety of both large and small animal experiences. I also had e-board positions in a variety of campus organizations.
Out of state.

Last edited:
Holy crap now I feel like I'm going to have a heart attack. Is this the email you guys are using?
[email protected]

That's the e-mail.

I replied almost immediately after getting her e-mail and her response was just basically "thanks for accepting" lol so maybe she got tired of saying that. I would venture she would have sent a follow up if she hadn't gotten yours. :thumbup: