University of Florida c/o 2018 applicants!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
To any and all that were rejected, are you legitimately surprised? I'm in IS male and felt like my interview went well, and I was straight up rejected. It just feels so ****ty.

Members don't see this ad.

So I might be kinda slow over here but how have you been in for over a month? I thought interviews started on Feb 1st

Members don't see this ad :)
Make the Facebook!!! I've been in for over a month and dying to stalk all of youuuu :)
So I might be kinda slow over here but how have you been in for over a month? I thought interviews started on Feb 1st

Congratulations, Gators! So happy for you all. UF is a great school.

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats to everyone accepted and good luck to fellow OOSers... hopefully we will hear tomorrow

Rejected OOS :( just got the email. Good luck to everyone else waiting to hear!

I GOT IN! Congrats everyone who got in! And those who didn't, don't give up!

Congrats!!! .... Still nothing, lol.

Just got the email. I am in shock to be accepted, especially at this time of day (night).

Congrats to everyone who was accepted. To those of you that didn't get in this time, don't give up.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
To any and all that were rejected, are you legitimately surprised? I'm in IS male and felt like my interview went well, and I was straight up rejected. It just feels so ******.
Rejected IS as well. Thought my interview went well also. Major disappointment!

Reactions: 1 user
First time posting but I am just so confused. Just got my waitlisted email...and then a few minutes later I got an email about financial information "to facilitate my admissions decision." I can't really make a decision because they didn't really accept me...right? Did this happen to other people who were waitlisted?

Does anyone know how many were accepted OOS? This part of the email made me nervous because I won't hear from my IS until mid-March and need time to consider all options.

"We understand that you may be exploring your options available from other programs. Please be aware that we have invited more applicants than we have positions available. The 24 seats for non-sponsored students are therefore available on a first-come, first-serve basis. If you feel confident that you would like to attend the University of Florida College of Veterinary Medicine, we encourage you to notify us as early as possible to reserve your seat in the Class of 2018."

Was this done last year as well?

First time posting but I am just so confused. Just got my waitlisted email...and then a few minutes later I got an email about financial information "to facilitate my admissions decision." I can't really make a decision because they didn't really accept me...right? Did this happen to other people who were waitlisted?
I got my waitlist email a few hours ago and just received the financial aid email as well. I'm confused but it's probably for in case we're accepted we'll already have to have this lined up? I'm not sure either so anyone who knows about this please share!

Does anyone know how many were accepted OOS? This part of the email made me nervous because I won't hear from my IS until mid-March and need time to consider all options.

"We understand that you may be exploring your options available from other programs. Please be aware that we have invited more applicants than we have positions available. The 24 seats for non-sponsored students are therefore available on a first-come, first-serve basis. If you feel confident that you would like to attend the University of Florida College of Veterinary Medicine, we encourage you to notify us as early as possible to reserve your seat in the Class of 2018."

That's nerve wracking, I thought they had to honor the April 15 deadline

Rejected IS as well. Thought my interview went well also. Major disappointment!
Sorry for your rejection too, not that I liked you being rejected. Just showing you the love that we're in this one together.

Exchanged a few emails with Lynette with questions pertaining to the IS wait list. She said it is not ranked so she couldn't tell me what my number on it was. She also said they sent 88 acceptances this year. I looked at the past three years and 88 is the lowest number, which is very good for us on the wait list because the second anyone denies their seat, someone on the wait list will be called. Right? Because there are only 88 seats to begin with for in state.

We had early interviews in the beginning of December and found out our acceptances Mid-December. Congratulations everyone!!!! So excited to meet all of you in August!

Exchanged a few emails with Lynette with questions pertaining to the IS wait list. She said it is not ranked so she couldn't tell me what my number on it was. She also said they sent 88 acceptances this year. I looked at the past three years and 88 is the lowest number, which is very good for us on the wait list because the second anyone denies their seat, someone on the wait list will be called. Right? Because there are only 88 seats to begin with for in state.
How is it not ranked? There has to be some order to how they choose people off it..?

From previous stats, there are typically 24-25 OOS that make it into the final class. I heard that last year a lot of the OOS candidates declined their acceptances bc they were accepted into their IS school. I think that this year they had a really great OOS applicant pool so they decided to invite more than the allotted 24 spots in the hopes that those who are really interested reply sooner rather than later. You may want to call them and find out more info on this.

I must say it's a little nerve racking and I'm surprised that they would put that much pressure on you guys so soon.

Congrats to everyone accepted! I was accepted OOS and will be turning it down to go to my IS. So there's one name off the wait list to get a spot!!

Well, I'm rejected but congrats to everyone who made it in. :) I don't really understand it though, I thought my interview went very well. It is definitely a somber moment but after taking the time to reflect on my own interview, I can't think of anything I would have done differently.

Last edited:
How is it not ranked? There has to be some order to how they choose people off it..?
I asked her this and she responded saying she mispoke and it is ranked, however they don't release the ranks.

To any and all that were rejected, are you legitimately surprised? I'm in IS male and felt like my interview went well, and I was straight up rejected. It just feels so ******.

I'm sorry to hear that you were not accepted this year. I will say that the group of applicants this year was exceptional! Of the people I helped interview, and it sounded like this was the norm this year based on discussion with classmates who helped, almost all were worthy of a spot in the class. That being said, I know it sucks, but take advantage of the opportunity to review your file when the time comes if you are not accepted elsewhere. I think this year, the interview played less of a role simply because most people were great in their interviews.

So, you have until April 15th to make your final decision. I'd be that if you say "yes I will be attending UF" that it will reserve your spot and you can still back out later. You could always check about it and if it's concerning to you, you probably should. Lynnette is awesome so I'm sure she'd be happy to answer your question.

Congratulations to everyone who was accepted! I hope to see some of you around campus next year. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Anyone know anything about housing, computer requirements, case load both small and large animal, hands on experience in the 1st and 2nd years, clubs, etc lol

Housing...it's a college town so there's lots of it. You can basically pick as crappy or as extravagant as you'd like
There are no computer requirements
Small animal ~15000, Large animal <5000
Not much hands on the first two years. You do your first surgery during the spring of your second year, but prior to that there's not a whole lot. There are tons of opportunities to get hands-on experience in the clubs/organizations and through catnip, it's just not part of the core curriculum that you work with them initially. You could also be crazy like me and work at a clinic in your "free time." That's my quick synopsis.

If there are any in state students who got accecpted and plan on rejecting their seat please let us know. With every seat declined a seat will open from the wait list, since they didnt send more acceptances than they have seats. :)

Pretty sure that I will be attending Florida 2018 :)
Getting more and more excited and looking forward to the sunshine:soexcited:

Reactions: 2 users
Pretty sure that I will be attending Florida 2018 :)
Getting more and more excited and looking forward to the sunshine:soexcited:
I am thinking I will be going to UF as well! Actually going up next week for a tour and to scout out housing and horse farms for my babies!

i am just so excited :))) the facebook group is already so helpful and the upperclassman are angels. i cannot waitttttt! #latergator

Has anyone heard anything from being on the waitlist? Also my friend has a theory that everyone that got an interview but did not get an acceptance is on the waitlist. Can anybody disprove that?

Has anyone heard anything from being on the waitlist? Also my friend has a theory that everyone that got an interview but did not get an acceptance is on the waitlist. Can anybody disprove that?

Still no word on waitlist stuff, but I think some people did get rejected. There are one or two posts on this thread from IS candidates that were rejected post interview, though I haven't heard of any OOS candidates being rejected post interview. I suspect the majority of OOS candidates were waitlisted as that waitlist moves far more, but that only part of the IS candidates were waitlisted.

In previous years, all of the OOS applicants were either accepted or waitlisted for the reason Cyndia stated above. There are new people in charge of admissions now, so I have no idea if this has continued. Some IS people were rejected post interview. That's all I know.

and OOS people were rejected. I'm OOS and I didn't make it sadly, but if you didn't get something stating you were rejected, you're probably on the wait list. So best of luck to you :)

So I put this on the Facebook page too but for those of you who may not be on it, I have a housing opportunity for you. A room in a 2/2 condo about 15mins from campus. Well behaved Pets allowed, no pet deposit required but they do need to get along with both cats and dogs, I'll be bringing my dog and cat with me. You'll have your own bathroom. Also there is a den and Florida room that we can use as study areas. And a fenced back yard with a super nice wood porch. Send me a message and we can discuss further. It can be furnished or unfurnished.

I declined my IS invitation. Hoping someone from here will get my spot!

I declined my IS invitation. Hoping someone from here will get my spot!
Thanks for letting us know!! That means one person from the wait list will be called! The question is when!

:)

So I was accepted to my IS school, but would rather go to UF. Are there any current students on here who turned down their IS? Do you think it is worth the extra tuition? It would be at least a $100,000 difference for me.

So I was accepted to my IS school, but would rather go to UF. Are there any current students on here who turned down their IS? Do you think it is worth the extra tuition? It would be at least a $100,000 difference for me.

Please, please don't put yourself $100,000 MORE in debt. Choose your IS school and save yourself a ton of money. You'll be a vet either way, and that is just way too much to make going out of state worth it. Just my opinion, but vet student debt is a huge issue and if you can avoid it, you really should.

Please, please don't put yourself $100,000 MORE in debt. Choose your IS school and save yourself a ton of money. You'll be a vet either way, and that is just way too much to make going out of state worth it. Just my opinion, but vet student debt is a huge issue and if you can avoid it, you really should.
Just curious where you have decided to go if you are giving up your IS spot?? Is one of your OSS spots cheaper than your IS spot?