University of Florida c/o 2018 applicants!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thought I'd share a little confidence boost for all you OOS applicants who are interviewing. I was looking at UFs statistics page and it looks like they send admission offers to a majority of OOSers who interview. Last year it was 79% and the year before that it was 95%!! Makes me feel a little bit more hopeful :)

Are you sure? They said this year they are interviewing about 130 OOS people for around 20 spots after my interview.

Members don't see this ad.

Ignore me haha. They offered 75/90 last year, which is a ton! Good luck you guys!

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you sure? They said this year they are interviewing about 130 OOS people for around 20 spots after my interview.

Well in past years over 65% of OOSers offered admission declined their offer -- making the total number of OOS students in the final class around 20. If they continue to follow that trend, it looks like anywhere from 100-125 OOS interviewers will be offered admission :)

Reactions: 1 users
Thought I'd share a little confidence boost for all you OOS applicants who are interviewing. I was looking at UFs statistics page and it looks like they send admission offers to a majority of OOSers who interview. Last year it was 79% and the year before that it was 95%!! Makes me feel a little bit more hopeful :)
Someone asked in my group the numbers Dr. Conway said 132 in state and 132 out of state interviewees, 88 spots for in state and I believe she said 24 ( don't quote me on this but it was close) out of state, because they assume most out of state students will go else where.

Does anyone have an opinion on that dual DVM/MPH degree Lynette emailed about?

In this economy it would be nice to be competitive and maybe have job security working in the govt (FDA), but I feel like it would be a lot of sad feedlots and slaughterhouses and such.

But I don't have any food animal experience, so I'd be interested to hear someone else's thoughts?

MPH is just not food animal it is a lot more. Disease control, public awareness, and research are all parts of public health. Im am not in it because well I have other interests. I will tell you that it costs more not just for the masters but if you want to take summer electives you have to pay for them because you pay by credit. If you are just a DVM you do block tuition so you can take as many classes as you want for that flat tuition.

Reactions: 1 user

In this economy it would be nice to be competitive and maybe have job security working in the govt (FDA), but I feel like it would be a lot of sad feedlots and slaughterhouses and such.

But I don't have any food animal experience, so I'd be interested to hear someone else's thoughts?

ladybear, just out of curiosity, when did you get this e-mail? I haven't received any e-mails since the interview last weekend.

ladybear, just out of curiosity, when did you get this e-mail? I haven't received any e-mails since the interview last weekend.
I got the same email on Tuesday. It may have only gone out to people who interviewed in December.

I'm interested in aquatics, specifically aquaculture for food and the aquarium trade, as well as some medical research with lab animals so I think I'd really like to do the MPH. I don't want to start right away because I want to take the summer off and make sure I can handle vet school classes on their own with the aquatic animal health certificate. I emailed Lynette and she said that I could start it next summer and probably still finish it in 2 years. Even if you're interested in small or large animal, it could be useful if you think you might be interested. There are a lot of applications in vet-med to human health that have to do with small and large animals as well as food animal, aquatics, etc.

Thanks for the reply, cocoa. Also, just to answer the original question being asked, I definitely plan on doing the dual degree. My interests lie in public health, specifically working at the department of agriculture. Like ladybear said, I agree it would be more useful when finding a job, especially with the one health initiative going on.

Is the UF interview supposed to be behavioral? I didn't think that it was, but I've been going through the interview feedback page and quite a few questions are behavioral (but they are also older questions). Is the interview a mix? Anyone who already interviewed and/or students who interviewed last year have any insight? I'm trying to determine what to prepare for. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Is the UF interview supposed to be behavioral? I didn't think that it was, but I've been going through the interview feedback page and quite a few questions are behavioral (but they are also older questions). Is the interview a mix? Anyone who already interviewed and/or students who interviewed last year have any insight? I'm trying to determine what to prepare for. Thanks!
It was very mixed! Basically the interview feedback questions. They kinda start with nice general questions then switch to behavioral style.

Do they ask many specifics about your veterinary experiences? I've prepped for the behavioural stuff and reviewed everything in my application, I'm just nervous they might start really drilling me on some of the veterinary stuff I did several years ago..

Do they ask many specifics about your veterinary experiences? I've prepped for the behavioural stuff and reviewed everything in my application, I'm just nervous they might start really drilling me on some of the veterinary stuff I did several years ago..
IIRC, my interview was mostly about my application. I think I only got 3 or so behavioral questions.

IIRC, my interview was mostly about my application. I think I only got 3 or so behavioral questions.

Hmm gotcha, thanks!! Honestly I think I would prefer that because I personally feel like I suck at behavioural questions, so I've mostly been focused on prepping for those. Time to spend tomorrow refreshing on some of my older activities!

By the way good luck to everyone who's interviewing this weekend! I'm at an 11am slot so maybe I'll see some of you, I'm going to be bumming around and coming back for the Q&A at the end of the day as well.

That's unusual from what I've heard. It's a blind interview - so they aren't supposed to know about your app. Mine had 3 or 4 questions about myself, the rest behavioral scenarios. They weren't hard questions though, most were pretty common sense.

That's unusual from what I've heard. It's a blind interview - so they aren't supposed to know about your app. Mine had 3 or 4 questions about myself, the rest behavioral scenarios. They weren't hard questions though, most were pretty common sense.
Maybe I'm screwing up schools. It could also be that they asked me about myself and then asked me questions surrounding my answers. As in, I worked in shelter med so they asked me follow up questions based on that.

I think I'm just getting really nervous and freaking myself out, I just need to take a deep breath and calm down. And probably get off SDN for a bit haha.

Last edited:
It's definitely blind. My first questions was "where did you do your undergrad"
I've heard that one interviewer has seen your app but they don't tell you which one (if any have at all) so you basically just have to pretend like no one has seen it and explain everything very thoroughly.

And Nstarz - they did formulate questions off my answers but they started as general questions and became more specific as I answered them and they learned more about me. But expect lots of behavioral scenarios

It was very mixed! Basically the interview feedback questions. They kinda start with nice general questions then switch to behavioral style.
Thank you!!!

I would not call the UF interview behavioral. They ask more of situational, there isnt a right or wrong. But they arent going to knock you down because you say you would euthanize a cat with inappropriate urination. I in fact told them I'd find a home for it in a barn. They then proceeded to tell me that was actually illegal and feeding outside cats is considered baiting wildlife, like racoons. I had no idea and was embarassed but they made a good laugh about it, the 3rd year in the group announced she didnt know that was illegal either. So there is discussion about questions, not really answers.

There are three interviewers. One faculty, one outside veterinarian, and a 3rd or 4th year student. The faculty member has seen your application, the others have not. The only other question I can remember they ask me besides the cat question is who do you acccept, the perfect grades, the amazing experience or the great interviewer? Its not based on your behavior as it is based on you backing up your answer with your reasoning.

UF was easily my most relaxed interview. Granted I have had a lot of interviewing experience. ;)

INTERVIEWS ARE FINISHED! I THINK! CONGRATS TO EVERYONE AND MAY THE ACCEPTANCES BE EVER IN YOUR FAVOR <3

INTERVIEWS ARE FINISHED! I THINK! CONGRATS TO EVERYONE AND MAY THE ACCEPTANCES BE EVER IN YOUR FAVOR <3
Haha not yet!! Us OOSers have them today!

IM DONE! 6 interviews done and ima do whatever the crap I want now :D Good luck on acceptances errbody!

Reactions: 5 users
Interviews are over. Congrats and good luck to everyone!!!!

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone remember when they said we might hear?

They told the group I was with that we should hear by the end of this upcoming week. It was in state though, but I thought there were some OOS people interviewing that day.

They told the group I was with that we should hear by the end of this upcoming week. It was in state though, but I thought there were some OOS people interviewing that day.
I'm in state so maybe that means sooner than later!

I interviewed last week and they told us within 2 weeks, so hopefully we'll hear something next week! This wait is torture! I keep replaying my interview in my head thinking of all the things I could have said better lol

I've only had 3 interviews, but this one was by far the best experience I have had. I don't know how well I did, but I actually enjoyed my interview. Even if I am not accepted I would love to go to UF for an internship or residency. I hope everyone had a great experience as well and good luck to everyone waiting to hear!

Reactions: 2 users
Interview this year was so much better than last year (for me at least). Maybe because it was at the end of the day instead of the beginning. If all goes well, hopefully I will be seeing some of yall in person soon. Especially can't wait to see the other "glitch" victims lol.

I didn't feel like my interview here went that well, but the student who walked me out told me not to worry and that I did great, so idk!

So what are we supposed to do about thank you letters? Are we supposed to email them to the people that interviewed us?

I got one that was e-mailed to me, I think either is probably fine.

Can mailing a thank you make a difference with their decision?

^ right! it can make a really good impression, though, so if you see them as a student they might remember you! i got to talk to my panel really in-depth about their experiences so i wrote super personalized letters. they can't hurt!

I've heard from several people we will get emails this friday the 14 in the afternoon. Has anyone else heard similar things? I am getting so nervous, I really hope it will be good news.
Well last year the interviews were held the same weekends as this year and they heard decisions on the 14th so I was guessing we would hear around the same time!

Well last year the interviews were held the same weekends as this year and they heard decisions on the 14th so I was guessing we would hear around the same time!

Was this just the first weekend of people, or everyone?

EDIT----

Nevermind, just searched the old threads and I see it's primarily only IS people that posted when they heard back. I did see one OOS post on the waitlist thread that he heard on the 14th though, so maybe we'll hear back as well this week! That would be awesome. Regardless, good luck everyone!! :)

Last edited:
I have a feeling most of us will hear tomorrow :)

I saw that someone asked this in a thread for another school, so I wanted to ask it here,

Current UF students, what is your least favorite thing about UF CVM?

Also are classes more like lectures or is there any PBL?