University of Florida-Gainesville Residency Reviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quinsy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hope this is helpful, and I would like to hear about UPenn and Univ. of Utah/Kentucky if folks have been there.

OHIO STATE
Beautiful facilities, which I did not expect. A large, very nice hospital. Columbus looks like a pretty cool place, which is what I've heard about it. No traffic, very affordable houses (yes, you could totally buy a freestanding house, not a condo/townhome for whatever your price range is). A cool trendy restaurant area called the Short North where we went to a wine/tapas bar the night before. I liked it!

The staff at Ohio State was so welcoming and so nice... probably the nicest of any program I've been to, and I've been to like 10 programs. I really liked the program directors and the coordinating staff, and the residents too. Best lunch for interviewees, the lunch was unbelievable, at this fancy place called the Faculty Club. I like programs that have money to spend, it is a good sign. Oh, and I liked the department chair too very much.

There was also a highly electronic ED, which is one thing I'm looking for. The children's hospital seemed like a nice place to work too, though it wasn't that close to the main hospital and I would rather see peds integrated into your regular shifts (though I noticed that others don't feel the same way). The faculty seemed to be responsive to resident feedback and were changing the curriculum as a result, trying to make everything a good learning experience for them, which I also definitely appreciate.

Overall really liked this program and would rank it highly aside from personal reasons I have to be elsewhere.

GAINESVILLE
Gainesville is just a big college town in central Florida, a weird place because it's got plenty of people but no large buildings due to some sort of zoning restrictions that keep it looking like a smaller town than it is. The residency program is really new, I knew it was relatively recent but didn't realize that the interns had only started this year. So they currently have 8 residents. The hospital is not a huge hospital and it is on the college campus. The staff seemed to have quite a jovial relationship, everyone was laughing it up half the time. They said it was a great place for singles, too, all the college kids and grad students everywhere and of course southern girls at college, well you know what I mean.

The ED was fairly nice, fairly electronically up to date, but the really great thing is that they are building a new ED across the street to be part of a 'critical care tower' which will be awesome. I think that their ED then will certainly rival if not best UMass' ED (which is gorgeous and amazing as noted by other reviewers). It is aimed to be completed sometime like mid-2008 so we'd get a chance to work there.

Liked the program adminstrators, they were very casual and easy to talk to. This program seemed pretty laid back but I feel the educational experience would be good. Was impressed by the simulation experience because they use sim pretty frequently and they have the whole Sim family, not just one Sim man, though currently the stuff is squeezed into the conference room they will be changing their conference room soon and I assume then it will be just a devoted sim lab. Oh yeah, and the conference room had this ridiculous interactive presentation screen that you could 'touch-click' on. Biggest flat-screen I have ever seen. Finally you got plenty of food money and could use it at all the food places in the hospital which included Wendy's, ChickFilA, a coffee cart, etc.

UCONN

Moving on finally to UConn... sadly, I wasn't that into this program, but I think it was a result of partially being tired and partially it just wasn't the program for me, so I want to try to present an objective picture for others who might be into this program.

The program is located at Hartford Hospital, only maybe 3 months of time in the residency are spent at the UConn Health Center which is lovely and in Farmington. HH is not nearly as nice, the neighborhood is OK, it's not bad like coming into Hopkins or something. The children's hospital is pretty cool though, I did like it over there.

The simulation center was fairly advanced, it did span multiple rooms with a very high-tech looking control room, though it wasn't new and shiny it did look like a good solid setup. Most programs just have one room with the sim man and maybe a control room of some sort. This one also had a debriefing room with lecture space and all that.

The cafeteria did not look good and the residents said they had gotten it so that their food money would just be added on to their paycheck, which is probably a better arrangement even though it was only like $150 per year. What else... the didactics seemed OK, they have great 5 star reviews on scutwork so I think the residents are quite happy with it, think they just hired a new ultrasound fellowship trained guy and so improved that aspect of the program quite a bit. They have a flight program and you can go with the helicopter but I don't think it's required. Notably, at Yale you don't do helicopter stuff, you have to get farmed out for it to Pennsylvania because the UConn service is too busy to take them.

I am sure the trauma experience is excellent at UConn. The other thing I did not like was as I mentioned in another post, they had trouble with the administration and doing away rotations because of Medicare dollars. That bugged me. I'd say the international experience is not that strong here but you could probably go anywhere in the USA, where of course there are plenty of places to go and things to do, if you don't care much about going abroad.

Members don't see this ad.

Residents: There are only 8 at this time, but they've only had 1 year. None of them (publicly) regret coming to a first year program, and if they are acting, they do a good job. Some apparently still go to frat parties.

Faculty: Most of them are pretty unknown to students. Some have national ACEP positions, but nobody on faculty has any books that I could find. They all seemed nice though.

Facilities: One of the oldest hospitals I have seen. They are building a new ED across the street, but when I was there they had barely broken ground. With the current hospital having 576 beds, I can't see this being a quick build. However, the plans look nice.

Curriculum: 3 years, 21 months in the ED. They have an interesting format where they do "modules" online that the residents learn from. It is tough for me to follow, because that means each resident is learning something different from the other ones every month, so lectures must be just as scattered. Off service rotations are supposedly very good, but most of the residents hadn't done a most of them by the interview.

Patient population: Not as much inner city as some places, but they still have drug populations, as well as a good group of really sick people that live nearby simply because of the university hospital.

City: Gainesville is a college town. A very big one. The population is pretty diverse, but they all seem to bleed orange and blue. Don't be fooled though, this isn't Chicago, or even Orlando. There won't be a ton to do other than drink beer, watch college sports, and work. Make sure your significant other comes down. COL is cheap if you don't live next to campus. Less worry about hurricanes here.

Salary:06-07, and these represent a $1,900 increase from the year before
PGY1 $41,434.45
PGY2 $42,778.65
PGY3 $44,268.64

Overall: The residents here also get to work with NASA, apparently on a rotating basis with the people from Jacksonville. They get to work Gator games (football and basketball). The new facility will help with recruiting, but it won't be done before anyone from the 2007 or 2008 graduating classes finish. Training would be great, but there may be too much oversight for some students/residents. Guess that's why they call it a match process.

Still, they did design this little logo, so that makes them a little better.
emed-logo.jpg

This was the best of the 3 places I've interviewed in florida so far. Really liked the PD and assistant PD, I really felt they tried to get know me. The day was 5 one on one interviews with the chairman, PD, assistPD, one faculty, and one resident (who was a little wierd). The dinner was nice, and Pat one the residents really sold me on the program and gainesville. The onyl weird thing was that the reisdent who interviewed me I think was drunk at the dinner when I got there and got the vibe she somehow wasn't suppose to be there, and then the next morning made some off color remarks about the dinner. Anyway - I'll probably still be ranking it in my top 5 definitely and possibly my top 3.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everybody,

I was wondering if anyone has experience with the new program in Gainesville and cares to share any opinions?
I interviewed there and thought it seemed like a fun place to train & live, but there's very little info out about it because it's so new.
Curious about what others thought, or if anybody has rotated there...Someone in a previous thread mentioned "growing pains" but I'm not quite sure what that means for this program.

Appreciate any thoughts/comments.

Good luck to all!

Very pleased with my experience as a resident in the new gainesville program. The training is excellent, with many procedures, and teaching with down to earth faculty and leadership that cares what you think. Bonuses include a simulation lab in addition to a brand new state of the art ED in 2009.
Gainesville is a fun town as well.

Feel free to PM me with questions if you have them

Hi everybody,

I was wondering if anyone has experience with the new program in Gainesville and cares to share any opinions?
I interviewed there and thought it seemed like a fun place to train & live, but there's very little info out about it because it's so new.
Curious about what others thought, or if anybody has rotated there...Someone in a previous thread mentioned "growing pains" but I'm not quite sure what that means for this program.

Appreciate any thoughts/comments.

Good luck to all!

Last edited:
Does anybody have information on any curriculum changes/ schedule/ benefits. Seems this thread is outdated.

Any current EM residents want to chime in with their experience at UF-Gainesville? Or, perhaps a review from applicants this cycle? My only FL interview, so trying to re-evaluate the upcoming trip!

Review from a current resident:

Residents: Class size recently expanded from 8 to 14; residents come from throughout the country (Florida of course, California, Virginia, Georgia, Rhode Island, etc. ) with diverse interests. The residency as a whole is close to 1:1 M:F. We are always interested in expanding the diversity of our class. Culturally, we are a supportive and kind group of people looking for equally kind, capable team players.

Faculty: Faculty reputation and diversity has grown significantly since the program's founding. Several faculty from well-established EM programs including NYU, Emory, Charlotte, Brigham, Jacksonville, Orlando Regional, Cincinnati. Dr. Nicholas Maldonado, assistant program director, co-authored Pocket Emergency Medicine. Numerous faculty with research experience including clinical trials (Dr. Michael Marchick and Dr. Marie-Carmelle Elie). Also have several faculty with prior community experience.

Facilities: The hospital is referred to as Shands. Shands is an academic tertiary care center with one of the largest catchment areas of the US. Relatively young ED. Divided into three cores with one core RAZ devoted to lower triage patients (similar triage level to community setting).

Curriculum: Similar to the curriculum of most ED programs. No medicine or peds floor months. We have devoted resuscitation months. Schedule is flexible enough in 2nd/3rd year that most students moonlight at Shands or community EDs.

Patient population: Top 10% in the country for average patient triage level; high volume of sick patients. Diverse population, relatively representative of the average US population by demographic and economic level. Tertiary care status/burn center means we get referrals from nearly half the state of Florida and portions of southern Georgia. High amount of blunt trauma. Penetrating trauma less common.

City: Gainesville is a moderately sized college town close to all the perks of Florida (UF football games, beaches, Orlando, Tampa, St. Augustine). Very low cost of living. Many outdoor activities around the city. Rarely gets cold (!)

Salary: I do not advise picking a program based on salary (that said, we have no income tax!)
PGY1 $50,316
PGY2 $52,008
PGY3 $53,817

We have a twitter: https://twitter.com/uf_em

Overall: A robust and rigorous residency training environment. Kind, hard-working residents. Challenging, sick patients. Tertiary care center with an enormous catchment area. A city with all the basics, near all the perks of Florida.

Reactions: 1 users
current resident, I'd be happy to answer any questions from applicants