University of Georgia COP (Fall 2014)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The first thing you do when you arrive is go into a small conference room (there aren't many seats... I'm assuming that interviews are capped at around 8 people). You will have 20 minutes to write an essay on a random topic, just to make sure you can spell and think on your feet pretty much.

You watch a PowerPoint about program requirements and then take a tour of the facilities, then everyone interviews with Dr. Wolfgang and a faculty member, one-by-one. The most helpful part of the process was sitting in the conference room while others were interviewing. First, second, and third year students float in and tell you about their experiences and answer any and all questions.

The interview was relatively laid back, although some of the questions were unexpected and opinion-based. Everyone who works there seems great. The only thing that I didn't like about the school is the fact that it isn't a medical campus. You can spend your P3 and P4 years in Athens, Augusta, Albany, or Savannah, and you rank at the very end. Overall it was a fun and informative interview... you'll have to see for yourself though!

How did you go about preparing yourself for the interview? What type of questions did you practice and how did you go about practicing for the opinion-based part? Im not asking so that I can 'get ahead'. Im really nervous about the interview bc sometimes im not very well spoken and I dont want them to question my passion for the profession bc im not able to articulate it properly.

Members don't see this ad.

I got my acceptance letter a few days ago too! :] Congrats to the others accepted! It is super exciting.

If you did not hear anything back yet its totally fine! They have 145 spots total and accepted only about 30 people this round. They will consider you again when the next round of acceptances come through.
How did you go about preparing yourself for the interview? What type of questions did you practice and how did you go about practicing for the opinion-based part? Im not asking so that I can 'get ahead'. Im really nervous about the interview bc sometimes im not very well spoken and I dont want them to question my passion for the profession bc im not able to articulate it properly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did your email explicitly say you were waitlisted or that you weren't chosen during this round but would receive full consideration during the next round?
Sorry for the delayed response - yeah they said that I would receive "full consideration later" - my interpretation of that is that I got waitlisted for now.

Sorry for the delayed response - yeah they said that I would receive "full consideration later" - my interpretation of that is that I got waitlisted for now.
I interviewed in October and got the same email. It's different than the waitlist. It means that they're waiting until they interview more people to determine if we're accepted. The waitlist would be made after everyone is interviewed and acceptance letters go out, and you would only gain acceptance if someone turns down their offer. They haven't made too many decisions yet so there is still a good chance of getting in!

Has anyone from the Jan/Feb interviews heard anything back yet? I know there might have been a delay b/c of the snow

So is it safe to assume emails were sent out as well? I didn't receive either of them yet so I was just curious.

So is it safe to assume emails were sent out as well? I didn't receive either of them yet so I was just curious.
I haven't received anything either. Let me know if you hear anything!

I don't think the letters have been mailed out yet, not if they were conducting interviews till the 13th which I'm sure were delayed because of the winter weather. I would imagine they would go out sometime next week because by then they should have been able to interview everyone for the Jan/Feb group.

Hi everyone! I interviewed on October 29, and I just received my acceptance letter in the mail today.

Hello. How much is the deposit for UGA if you don't mind me asking? Also, about how many ethics questions did they ask? Were there more ethics questions or standard questions regarding why pharmacy and tell me about yourself questions?

Hello. How much is the deposit for UGA if you don't mind me asking? Also, about how many ethics questions did they ask? Were there more ethics questions or standard questions regarding why pharmacy and tell me about yourself questions?
I believe the deposit is $250. And the interview is very conversational and relaxed. A lot of the questions are about yourself, and of course they want to know why you want to go into pharmacy. But they really just want to get to know you. There are two pharmacy scenarios you'll have to discuss/ tell them what you would do in that situation. But don't be nervous, just answer confidently. You know yourself best!

So i interviewed on Jan. 21 and still have not gotten a reply from UGA. Anyone out there who has or will get a reply could you please post as soon as possible. If we don't get a reply this week when do you think that we will get a response?

Members don't see this ad :)
So i interviewed on Jan. 21 and still have not gotten a reply from UGA. Anyone out there who has or will get a reply could you please post as soon as possible. If we don't get a reply this week when do you think that we will get a response?
I interviewed on February 6th and my letter was dated February 10th.. I think the last round of early admits is over, and now the majority of the class will be accepted the next round, but I could be wrong..

You may be in the same situation as me. I have not received an email or a letter regarding admission so I'm a bit lost as well

I interviewed on February 6th and my letter was dated February 10th.. I think the last round of early admits is over, and now the majority of the class will be accepted the next round, but I could be wrong..
Just curious, are you a current UGA student? So far I haven't heard from anyone who isn't also a current undergrad

Did you get your acceptance letter today? Where are you located?

Did your letter say anything about your admission status? Also are from the state of GA? I think that the letters for the people around the atlanta area got delayed because of the ice storm.

I just got my interview invite and will be going next Friday February 28th in the morning! Does anyone else have that same session?

Just curious, are you a current UGA student? So far I haven't heard from anyone who isn't also a current undergrad
Yes, I am a second year here at UGA.. My acceptance letter was dated February 10th but I did not get it until last Friday because school was closed and opened up at like 10 on Friday..

Did your letter say anything about your admission status? Also are from the state of GA? I think that the letters for the people around the atlanta area got delayed because of the ice storm.
Hey, if you have any questions, you can inbox me and I will be glad to answer them for you.. Also, I am from the state of Georgia, and I am currently a second year at UGA.. Also, if you go to twitter and search like "UGA pharmacy school" you should see people posting about getting accepted around the 10th ...

Hey, if you have any questions, you can inbox me and I will be glad to answer them for you.. Also, I am from the state of Georgia, and I am currently a second year at UGA.. Also, if you go to twitter and search like "UGA pharmacy school" you should see people posting about getting accepted around the 10th ...
So i think this is the way i inbox you not really sure. I looked on twitter and didn't really see anyone else get accepted into uga maybe i didn't look deep enough. Have you heard anything about people who don't go to uga that got accepted. I live in the state of GA but no email or letter. By the way did you get an email also? If don't get a letter or an email by this week do you think i should contact the school because they have to let me know something.

Reactions: 1 user
So i think this is the way i inbox you not really sure. I looked on twitter and didn't really see anyone else get accepted into uga maybe i didn't look deep enough. Have you heard anything about people who don't go to uga that got accepted. I live in the state of GA but no email or letter. By the way did you get an email also? If don't get a letter or an email by this week do you think i should contact the school because they have to let me know something.
I interviewed back in November and got that "will receive full consideration" email. Havent heard anything since. It's really annoying that I'm having to wait so long. I almost wish they'd just deny me already because it doesn't feel like I'm wanted. University of Tennessee accepted me 2 hours after my interview! I wouldn't even be stressed over this but I'm local and tuition here is way more reasonable.

EDIT: literally just got the email again that I got after the first interviews. So I gotta wait another month now to hear a decision. Infuriating.

Last edited:
I did not get an email, for I interviewed on the 6th and my acceptance letter was dated the 10th.. As far as what you should do, I cant really advise you on that..I feel that you just have to do what you feel is best for you.. I have been told that the majority of the class gets accepted in late march or early April, so they can still be viewing your application.. Here's the link for twitter...https://twitter.com/search?q=UGA pharmacy&src=typd

So i got an email for the wait list. I feel so discouraged even though I know i still might have a chance. For those of you who have been accepted Congrats! Also how many spot do you guys think they have filled up? I thinking about putting a deposit down for another school just in case i don't get in during the next admission cycle. With that being said does anyone know when the next admission cycle is for UGA?

So i got an email for the wait list. I feel so discouraged even though I know i still might have a chance. For those of you who have been accepted Congrats! Also how many spot do you guys think they have filled up? I thinking about putting a deposit down for another school just in case i don't get in during the next admission cycle. With that being said does anyone know when the next admission cycle is for UGA?
The next admissions cycle is supposed to be around late March, maybe even early April. They say the majority of the class gets filled out during that time

I think they only admit like 60 people total for the early admits, and the other 85 people get accepted in late March or early April..

I'm from FL, interviewed Jan 23rd and received my acceptance letter on Feb 13th, dated Feb 10.

I think they only admit like 60 people total for the early admits, and the other 85 people get accepted in late March or early April..
So are the only people accepted so far those who applied as Early Decision on their PharmCas?

So are the only people accepted so far those who applied as Early Decision on their PharmCas?
Im not sure about the whole applying early on pharmcas, because I did not apply early.. I submitted my application on December 1st and received an invite on December 5th.. Their are two rounds of early admits.. It think the first round got admitted in late November and the second round of early admits got in on February 10th... Also, I think they only admit like 30 people each of the first two rounds, then the rest of the people get admitted during the third round which is regular decision...

UGA doesn't have an early decision program. They just admit some people earlier than others.

So this thread completely died out. People who have been accepted and/or people still waiting please post stats and advice for others please.

So this thread completely died out. People who have been accepted and/or people still waiting please post stats and advice for others please.
What specifically do you want to know.. I would be more than happy to inform you on anything you would like to know..

Do you know when the next round of acceptances will go out? How many spaces to be filled?
Thanks

I called Ms.Herda the other day, and she said they still had "a long way to go" with accepting people and filling the seats available, so I would assume that the class is probably not even halfway filled.

Reactions: 1 user
I called Ms.Herda the other day, and she said they still had "a long way to go" with accepting people and filling the seats available, so I would assume that the class is probably not even halfway filled.

Thanks. Is 2/28 the last day of the Feb interview cycle? As you can imagine, timing issues with deposits due.

Thanks. Is 2/28 the last day of the Feb interview cycle? As you can imagine, timing issues with deposits due.
I really don't know when the last day of their cycle is. I wish I did know, because my interview is tomorrow, February 28th and I'm gonna be going crazy wondering if I'm accepted. When I got my interview offer, they gave me options to choose my interview date. There were several options anywhere from February 20th to March 5th. So maybe that's one whole cycle?

I really don't know when the last day of their cycle is. I wish I did know, because my interview is tomorrow, February 28th and I'm gonna be going crazy wondering if I'm accepted. When I got my interview offer, they gave me options to choose my interview date. There were several options anywhere from February 20th to March 5th. So maybe that's one whole cycle?
Thanks. My guess is you are right, the February interview cycle probably ends on March 5th. With spring break the week of March 10th, my guess is decisions will not be mailed until later in the month. More waiting!

Thanks. My guess is you are right, the February interview cycle probably ends on March 5th. With spring break the week of March 10th, my guess is decisions will not be mailed until later in the month. More waiting!
I'm already dying of anticipation and I haven't even gone to my interview lol. Have you gotten an interview?

I'm already dying of anticipation and I haven't even gone to my interview lol. Have you gotten an interview?
Invite was sent early February and interviewed last week. Need to pay a deposit elsewhere by the end of next week so need a decision soon!

I went to my interview today from 9am-12:15pm. There were 5 other people being interviewed with me. The first thing we did when we got there was go into a small conference room where we had to write a 20 minute essay on a completely random topic (just to see if you could write). After that, we went on a tour around the pharmacy building with 2 current pharmacy students. We then went back to the conference room and watched a short video about immunizations needed for the school and other requirements and things about UGA's pharmacy program. When that was over, we went in one by one to Dr. Wolfgang's office to interview. He called our names and I don't think it was in any specific order. The interview lasted about 15 minutes and it was relatively laid back and we just talked about me and why I enjoyed pharmacy and I talked a lot about my work experience. There were 2 ethical questions from Dr.Wolfgang and I just answered them honestly saying the first thing that popped into my mind. The interview was mainly for them to get to know me as a person and I feel really good about it. At the end of my interview he allowed me to ask any questions, and told me that this was the last interview session. We will hear a final decision in the end of March and then after that people will be pulled off the wait list. The last thing I did was rank where I wanted to be for my 3rd and 4th years (I put Athens first, then Augusta, Savannah, and Albany). When I brought my paper with the rankings to Dr. Wolfgang, he said thanks and told me I did good :) I'm really excited about.this whole thing and I really want to go to this school!!

Hello all,

My name is James. I'm currently a first-year pharmacy student at UGA. This is my first post to the forum here, but I used SDN forums a lot throughout my application process for updates from other applicants. It's a great resource!

As I read through this thread, I notice that a lot of you have questions about a lot of different aspects of the interview and acceptance processes as well as waiting periods/ what to expect. If I can help anyone in any way by answering questions, about these things or general questions about anything at UGA, let me know! I'll do my best to answer them.

A very big congratulations to those of you have already been accepted, and for those still waiting: HANG IN THERE. Trust me- I have suffered through the awful period of waiting and not knowing, checking the mailbox 5 times a day like a crazy person, and being placed on wait-lists. Things will get better :)

A little bit more about me:
-I was a two-time applicant- I got wait-listed for the class of 2016, then reapplied and was accepted for the class of 2017.
-I also have a B.S. from UGA, so I'm what some people call a "double dawg"
-I love the University of Georgia and the city of Athens

The interview sessions for the class of 2018 have officially ended, but I don't know when the remainder of acceptance letters for the class will be mailed.

Once again, please feel free to ask me questions about anything!

GO DAWGS!

Hello all,

My name is James. I'm currently a first-year pharmacy student at UGA. This is my first post to the forum here, but I used SDN forums a lot throughout my application process for updates from other applicants. It's a great resource!

As I read through this thread, I notice that a lot of you have questions about a lot of different aspects of the interview and acceptance processes as well as waiting periods/ what to expect. If I can help anyone in any way by answering questions, about these things or general questions about anything at UGA, let me know! I'll do my best to answer them.

A very big congratulations to those of you have already been accepted, and for those still waiting: HANG IN THERE. Trust me- I have suffered through the awful period of waiting and not knowing, checking the mailbox 5 times a day like a crazy person, and being placed on wait-lists. Things will get better :)

A little bit more about me:
-I was a two-time applicant- I got wait-listed for the class of 2016, then reapplied and was accepted for the class of 2017.
-I also have a B.S. from UGA, so I'm what some people call a "double dawg"
-I love the University of Georgia and the city of Athens

The interview sessions for the class of 2018 have officially ended, but I don't know when the remainder of acceptance letters for the class will be mailed.

Once again, please feel free to ask me questions about anything!

GO DAWGS!
Hey James
You mentioned that you were a two-time applicant. Do you mind me asking what you did differently between your applications that might have helped you get accepted?

Hey James
You mentioned that you were a two-time applicant. Do you mind me asking what you did differently between your applications that might have helped you get accepted?

I graduated with my Bachelors in May 2012, so my year in between applications also happened to be a year off from school for me. I worked full time at a local hospital where I had already worked part time as a pharmacy tech. I also retook the PCAT which was my 3rd time taking it (my composite score only increased by 2 points, so I'd say this did not have a huge impact). The last thing I did which I had not done any of before my first application was volunteer work. I volunteered at a local health clinic for uninsured and impoverished people in the Athens area.

In the event that you get wait-listed or declined and you plan on reapplying next year, be sure you contact Dr. Wolfgang to set up a time that you can go meet with him IN PERSON to discuss your application. He will be more than happy to make suggestions for you and look at areas where you could improve, as he did with me. Aside from the things I mentioned above, I feel like my effort to keep in contact with Dr. Wolfgang and the admissions office in the year in between my applications really helped me. It showed that I was serious about going to pharmacy school, and that I was determined to do whatever it took.

The very first words out of Dr. Wolfgang's mouth when I sat down in my second interview were, "James, we're excited to have you back interviewing with us this year. Tell us what you've been up to over the last year." Showing back up for a second interview with the same application and scores and things to say isn't going to be impressive. They just want to see that you've made an effort to improve.

A note that I want to make about work/ shadowing experience:
From what I have gathered from going through the process twice and from what I've learned from my classmates- having work experience (even SIGNIFICANT work experience) has zero to very little weight in the "formula" used to decide who gets accepted.
Here's how I've come to that conclusion: going in to my first application I had close to 3 1/2 years of pharmacy tech experience in a hospital, and I thought that was going to be a huge advantage for me. Instead, I got wait-listed, and was eventually declined. A year later, with 4 1/2 years experience, I got wait-listed again, but was lucky enough to be close enough to the top of that list to receive a spot in the class.
On the flip side of that, some of my classmates have NEVER stepped foot in a pharmacy. Quite honestly, some of them don't have a a single clue about what goes on in a pharmacy, which makes you wonder how they even know they want to be pharmacists. What those people do have is very impressive GPAs and PCAT scores... Anyway, I'll end my rant.

The bottom line is: UGA's formula is really all about GPA + PCAT score. Cut and dry. Dedication to the the field of pharmacy is also something they're looking for. Like I said before, I feel that the fact that I made efforts to improve myself as an applicant in my year off helped tremendously.

Work experience DOES benefit you is in the basic pharmacy and drug knowledge that you learn as a technician. I have been surprised by the head-start that my work experience has given me as far as things we have learned in class or done in labs this year. But that's a different story.

I know I gave you A LOT more information than you asked for, but I feel like all of that is important to know.

I graduated with my Bachelors in May 2012, so my year in between applications also happened to be a year off from school for me. I worked full time at a local hospital where I had already worked part time as a pharmacy tech. I also retook the PCAT which was my 3rd time taking it (my composite score only increased by 2 points, so I'd say this did not have a huge impact). The last thing I did which I had not done any of before my first application was volunteer work. I volunteered at a local health clinic for uninsured and impoverished people in the Athens area.

In the event that you get wait-listed or declined and you plan on reapplying next year, be sure you contact Dr. Wolfgang to set up a time that you can go meet with him IN PERSON to discuss your application. He will be more than happy to make suggestions for you and look at areas where you could improve, as he did with me. Aside from the things I mentioned above, I feel like my effort to keep in contact with Dr. Wolfgang and the admissions office in the year in between my applications really helped me. It showed that I was serious about going to pharmacy school, and that I was determined to do whatever it took.

The very first words out of Dr. Wolfgang's mouth when I sat down in my second interview were, "James, we're excited to have you back interviewing with us this year. Tell us what you've been up to over the last year." Showing back up for a second interview with the same application and scores and things to say isn't going to be impressive. They just want to see that you've made an effort to improve.

A note that I want to make about work/ shadowing experience:
From what I have gathered from going through the process twice and from what I've learned from my classmates- having work experience (even SIGNIFICANT work experience) has zero to very little weight in the "formula" used to decide who gets accepted.
Here's how I've come to that conclusion: going in to my first application I had close to 3 1/2 years of pharmacy tech experience in a hospital, and I thought that was going to be a huge advantage for me. Instead, I got wait-listed, and was eventually declined. A year later, with 4 1/2 years experience, I got wait-listed again, but was lucky enough to be close enough to the top of that list to receive a spot in the class.
On the flip side of that, some of my classmates have NEVER stepped foot in a pharmacy. Quite honestly, some of them don't have a a single clue about what goes on in a pharmacy, which makes you wonder how they even know they want to be pharmacists. What those people do have is very impressive GPAs and PCAT scores... Anyway, I'll end my rant.

The bottom line is: UGA's formula is really all about GPA + PCAT score. Cut and dry. Dedication to the the field of pharmacy is also something they're looking for. Like I said before, I feel that the fact that I made efforts to improve myself as an applicant in my year off helped tremendously.

Work experience DOES benefit you is in the basic pharmacy and drug knowledge that you learn as a technician. I have been surprised by the head-start that my work experience has given me as far as things we have learned in class or done in labs this year. But that's a different story.

I know I gave you A LOT more information than you asked for, but I feel like all of that is important to know.
Do you mind sharing your GPA and PCAT? What wait list number where you and when did you finally get the acceptance letter?

Thanks

Do you mind sharing your GPA and PCAT? What wait list number where you and when did you finally get the acceptance letter?

Thanks
My GPA was 3.32 and my highest PCAT composite score was 83 (pretty mediocre stats).

If you receive notification that you are put on the waitlist, you can contact Dr. Wolfgang/ Ms. Herda and ask about your position on the list and they will tell you. I can't remember my exact number, but I remember thinking "there's only a slim chance I could possibly get in" and being very discouraged. Long story short, here I am... it can happen.

Dr. Wolfgang told me something important to remember about the waitlist- there's absolutely no way to predict whether 20 people will get in off the waitlist or none. It depends on so many things. Other applicants who have been offered admission may be waiting to hear from other schools, circumstances may change for another applicant that prevents them from coming to UGA, etc. Of course I was going crazy wondering what my chances were to be pulled off the list and he could only offer me those words of advice.

I did not find out until April 23, 2013 that I was accepted. I know that other people below me on the list were later pulled off and some people didn't find out until late May/ early June. There's a possibility that spots could open right up until the very last minute. Nothing is set in stone until the first day of class.

Hope this helps.

My GPA was 3.32 and my highest PCAT composite score was 83 (pretty mediocre stats).

If you receive notification that you are put on the waitlist, you can contact Dr. Wolfgang/ Ms. Herda and ask about your position on the list and they will tell you. I can't remember my exact number, but I remember thinking "there's only a slim chance I could possibly get in" and being very discouraged. Long story short, here I am... it can happen.

Dr. Wolfgang told me something important to remember about the waitlist- there's absolutely no way to predict whether 20 people will get in off the waitlist or none. It depends on so many things. Other applicants who have been offered admission may be waiting to hear from other schools, circumstances may change for another applicant that prevents them from coming to UGA, etc. Of course I was going crazy wondering what my chances were to be pulled off the list and he could only offer me those words of advice.

I did not find out until April 23, 2013 that I was accepted. I know that other people below me on the list were later pulled off and some people didn't find out until late May/ early June. There's a possibility that spots could open right up until the very last minute. Nothing is set in stone until the first day of class.

Hope this helps.
I will be applying uga in2015 however just wondering if you ever take any online class for your pre-req. And what subjects are they?

So the time has come end of march. If anyone hears back from UGA in the next week or so please post so the rest of us know