University of Georgia COP (Fall 2014)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I will be applying uga in2015 however just wondering if you ever take any online class for your pre-req. And what subjects are they?

I did not take any online classes for any prerequisites before applying to pharmacy school. Don't know much about online classes honestly, and I don't know of anyone on my class that took online classes either. If you ever have questions about whether a particular course will count as a prerequisite, you can contact the admissions office.

Members don't see this ad.

So the time has come end of march. If anyone hears back from UGA in the next week or so please post so the rest of us know

Just FYI, Dr. Wolfgang sent out an email to current students today (3/18/2014) stating that "by this Friday" they should have mailed out 84 more acceptance letters (the remainder of the class to start this fall, except of course those that will get in off the wait list after others have given up their spot in the class).

Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 1 user
Just FYI, Dr. Wolfgang sent out an email to current students today (3/18/2014) stating that "by this Friday" they should have mailed out 84 more acceptance letters (the remainder of the class to start this fall, except of course those that will get in off the wait list after others have given up their spot in the class).

Good luck to everyone!

Appreciate the update! Anyone know what the total number of applicants there were for this year? Or how many are left that haven't gotten an answer? (Basically I want to know my "chances" of being one of those fortunate 84)

Members don't see this ad :)

Good luck to everyone!
So are these 84 people that they interviewed after the feb 10 early admission date or does it include people that were put on the wait list previously. I was put on the wait list and i interviewed jan 21 so i was wondering i could be getting a letter. Thanks for all the info

Appreciate the update! Anyone know what the total number of applicants there were for this year? Or how many are left that haven't gotten an answer? (Basically I want to know my "chances" of being one of those fortunate 84)
There were almost 700 applicants and they interview like 300. They've accepted about 45. If you look on Facebook there's a page made already for the class of 2018.

So are these 84 people that they interviewed after the feb 10 early admission date or does it include people that were put on the wait list previously. I was put on the wait list and i interviewed jan 21 so i was wondering i could be getting a letter. Thanks for all the info

My understanding of his email was that these 84 letters were the last 84 letters they would send out (until those that have received letters give up their spot in the class for whatever reason). It could interviewees from any interview session dating all the way back to last fall. I'm guessing that you have just as good of a chance as anyone else that interviewed and hasn't already been accepted, even though you have already been informed that you were placed on the wait list. I can't be sure though.

The admissions office is always willing to answer your questions if you want to send them a quick email.

When you get accepted do you get an email or a letter in the mail?

So if you're denied or wait-listed you'll get an email, but if you are accepted you will get an actual letter in the mail?
Yes, if your denied or wait listed you will receive an email from Mrs. Herda and if you are accepted you will get an actual letter. The letters were supposedly sent out today friday 21st. so depending on how far you live it might take a few days for it to arrive

Yes, if your denied or wait listed you will receive an email from Mrs. Herda and if you are accepted you will get an actual letter. The letters were supposedly sent out today friday 21st. so depending on how far you live it might take a few days for it to arrive
Thank you so much!! I haven't received an email, so maybe that means I'll get a letter soon!!?! That's what I'm hoping at least

Thank you so much!! I haven't received an email, so maybe that means I'll get a letter soon!!?! That's what I'm hoping at least

I haven't gotten an email yet either... I'm hoping that it means a letter's on its way as well

Members don't see this ad :)
This is what Ms. Herda posted on the UGA Pharmacy School student affairs Facebook page:
Admissions offer letters were mailed early today (March 21) and an alternate list will be established early next week. The alternate list will be unranked so please do not call to ask where you stand ... scores will fluctuate almost daily as additional grades come in. Each year we admit a number of students from the alternate list, sometimes as late as July. Your patience is appreciated as we complete the admissions process for fall 2014 and gear up for fall 2015. Anyone not receiving an admissions letter in the coming week will be contacted via email with an update. Thanks!

I just got my acceptance letter in the mail!!!

Just to ask how far do you live from UGA? I just want to know how long it will take for me to get my letter?
I live about 25 miles from UGA. The letter is dated march 20th but I think it was mailed yesterday the 21st.

I live about 25 miles from UGA. The letter is dated march 20th but I think it was mailed yesterday the 21st.
Did you go to UGA for undergrad?

Last edited:
Did you go to UGA for undergrad?
No, I went to GGC for undergrad. My GPA is 3.56, my highest PCAT composite was 59, I have 1 year pharmacy experience, and I feel like I had a very good interview.

No, I went to GGC for undergrad. My GPA is 3.56, my highest PCAT composite was 59, I have 1 year pharmacy experience, and I feel like I had a very good interview.
Okay thank you! Congratulations!

Anyone in the metropolitan area of Atlanta please let us know when you get your letter

I live in Stockbridge and just got the acceptance letter! So relieved....now to do some real soul searching between this and UofTennesse. UGA is def way cheaper as I'm in state

I live in Stockbridge and just got the acceptance letter! So relieved....now to do some real soul searching between this and UofTennesse. UGA is def way cheaper as I'm in state
quick question did you get it through USPS or some other mail service

Hey do you mind sharing your stats?

I live in the metro Atlanta area about an hour and a half from Athens

I'm down in Macon. Haven't gotten a letter or email yet

I am hoping for the best. I still haven't received my mail yet. I had one year of pharmacy experience, PCAT composite of 98, and overall GPA of 2.5 (rough freshman year), but my pre-reqs are 3.2. I live in Gwinnett County but hopefully I receive my mail tomorrow

Did anyone get an email for being put on the alternate list??
Mrs Herda said they would be forming the list and hopefully will send out emails tomorrow or sometime at the beginning of the week!

Has anyone received a letter or email today?

I received my acceptance letter earlier today!

I got mine this afternoon =]. The mail seemed pretty fast since I live in California.

Please let us know if anyone get an email
Well let me just say this if you haven't gotten a letter by now you probably won't be receiving one anytime soon. Most people have gotten their letter by now unless if you live in Alaska.

Please let us know if anyone get an email
I haven't received an email either. I think they're supposed to send them out by the end of this week. So hopefully by tomorrow!

I got my email friday around lunch as well. If the alternate list is unranked, how do they determine who gets chosen first to fill an opened spot?

Does anybody here know whether UGA allows their students to the IPPE in other states or not? I'd love to experience different states and cities while in school but I can't really remember what they told me about their IPPE (it's been more than 5 months since I interviewed). If I'm remembering correctly, UGA didn't have IPPE sites in other states. Am I right? Correct me if I'm wrong. Thank you!

Does anybody here know whether UGA allows their students to the IPPE in other states or not? I'd love to experience different states and cities while in school but I can't really remember what they told me about their IPPE (it's been more than 5 months since I interviewed). If I'm remembering correctly, UGA didn't have IPPE sites in other states. Am I right? Correct me if I'm wrong. Thank you!

You are correct. Currently, UGA does not have IPPE sites in other states. All first, second, and third year IPPEs are in the state of Georgia, and there's one very small exception during fourth year APPEs. There is a program for rotations in Alaska during fourth year. It requires that you apply and be accepted, whereas all in-state APPEs do not require application to the sites. If you are accepted to the Alaska program, I believe you complete 2 or 3 of your 8 rotations there (the rest being in Georgia). You would be in Alaska for 10 or 15 weeks (2 or 3 5-week rotations).

I'm pretty sure that there are 3 (maybe 4) current third year students who have been accepted to the program, and they will be there at different times over the course of next year. One in the summer, one in the fall, one in the winter, one in the spring; something like that.

Hope this helps.

You are correct. Currently, UGA does not have IPPE sites in other states. All first, second, and third year IPPEs are in the state of Georgia, and there's one very small exception during fourth year APPEs. There is a program for rotations in Alaska during fourth year. It requires that you apply and be accepted, whereas all in-state APPEs do not require application to the sites. If you are accepted to the Alaska program, I believe you complete 2 or 3 of your 8 rotations there (the rest being in Georgia). You would be in Alaska for 10 or 15 weeks (2 or 3 5-week rotations).

I'm pretty sure that there are 3 (maybe 4) current third year students who have been accepted to the program, and they will be there at different times over the course of next year. One in the summer, one in the fall, one in the winter, one in the spring; something like that.

Hope this helps.

Thank you double DAWG for the information :) Athens is a small city and I heard there is not many pharmacies in the area to accommodate UGA COP students for rotations and that was the reason why UGA adapted the 2+2 program. Do year 1, 2, 3 IPPEs all take place in the city of Athens?

Thank you double DAWG for the information :) Athens is a small city and I heard there is not many pharmacies in the area to accommodate UGA COP students for rotations and that was the reason why UGA adapted the 2+2 program. Do year 1, 2, 3 IPPEs all take place in the city of Athens?

First, second, and third year IPPEs do not all take place in Athens, no. They take place all over the state. I'll try to break it down into what you do each year, and where you might do it:

First Year: Spring semester classes for first-year students only last 12 weeks (instead of 16), then you take your finals, and then you spend the last 3 weeks of the semester working in a retail pharmacy. It could be in a retail chain, in a grocery store pharmacy, or in an independent. For this, you will name cities within Georgia that you are willing to be located in for the IPPE. Not surprisingly, most students would like to be in Athens, but it's simply not possible to place ~145 students all in Athens. They will tell you to include cities that your parents or other relatives may live in, so that if you get placed there you will have accommodations. I think that they give out-of-state students without other accommodations in Georgia priority for Athens IPPE locations so they can continue to live in their apartments or whatever. The other 2 IPPE experiences during the first year actually take place during the summer and include a one-day introduction to hospital experience and a one-day introduction to an ambulatory treatment center. For the hospital experience, they give you a list of the 4 or 5 cities to choose from where there are hospitals that they have partnered with for the IPPE. You rank the choices in order of where you'd like to be, and they try to give you one of your top priorities. This year the choices included Athens, Atlanta, Savannah, Commerce, Royston, and Rome I think. For the day in an ambulatory treatment center, everyone is assigned a day at Mercy Health Center in Athens.

Second Year: This information will be less detailed because I know less about it :) During the second year, you have IPPE experiences that take place throughout the semester. You will be part of a program called "Healthy Fit" where you are teamed up with a group of your classmates (3 or 4 people per group) and you will have real patients that you meet with several times throughout the year and monitor their health. Under the supervision of faculty, you will develop diet and exercise recommendations, promote healthy lifestyle choices, and monitor their medication adherence and such. Then in the summer between second and third year, you are required to attend a camp. The camps are for different groups of special need children and you will go and serve as a counselor.

Third Year: I know even less about third year, but I'm pretty sure it is a continuation of the second year "Healthy Fit," only you and your team's responsibilities will grow because you will have the knowledge to suggest more things, etc.

The 2+2 program definitely increased UGA COP's ability to provide students with more opportunities by spreading them out to other cities with really great IPPE/ APPE sites such as Augusta, Albany, and (soon to be) Savannah, but I wouldn't say that they developed the 2+2 program because opportunities in Athens were lacking. I think that most cities (outside of large cities like Atlanta) are going to have trouble finding locations to place ~145 students. I'm certainly not familiar with the IPPE/APPE practices of other schools, but I would guess that many schools spread students out across surrounding areas to provide them with the opportunities they need.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: 1 user