University of Georgia or Georgia Regents for pre-reqs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sdnfid

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody. This is my first post. I'm fixing to graduate with a political science degree in December 2014 from a small private school in the southeast. For one year, I was a biology major there. I didn't know what I wanted to do (maybe law or business), so I switched to poli sci.

The health sciences always interested me, but I didn't think I could commit to the academic requirements back then. That was several years ago. Since then, I have changed. So, I have been thinking seriously about trying to go to med school for about a year now, but I need some more pre-reqs.

So, my question is should I go back after I graduate with my poli sci major to UGA or to Georgia Regents to take the pre-reqs? It's also worth mentioning Im planning on getting a second bachelors in biology, not just the pre-reqs. Just for personal fulfillment. I have planned it out and I can do this in three semesters plus a summer of o-chem. Georgia Regents is where I want to go to medical school and I would be happier there than at UGA in Athens (less crazy undergrad environment). But, I know UGA is a great school and I'm wondering if the admissions committee at Georgia Regents Medical School would rather see a biology degree from UGA or Georgia Regents (they may actually prefer Georgia Regents because it's their own school, but I don't know-that's what I'm asking). I would much rather go to Georgia Regents in Augusta, but not at the expense of the better degree. Anybody have any thoughts on this? Sorry for the long post and thanks so much for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Either one is good. When I interviewed at MCG, I never ran across anyone else from GRU. Lots of UGA people I was the one freak from Emory.

Also remember GRU has the partnership with UGA so there is the possibility that you might end up there for medical school regardless.

Reactions: 1 users
To be honest, I don't believe that it really matters. Both are great schools. UGA will give you just as much of an "in" as GRU. You may make a connection at GRU more so than UGA....maybe. So, go where you would be happier at. Side note: lol to that "fixing to" comment, you are a true Southern and that's coming from one.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Ok guys thanks! This is good info let's keep it coming!

There is no need for you to bump the thread after only a day. Non-trad is not the most active forum on SDN.

Reactions: 1 users
Haha ok thanks for telling me. Like I said, this is my first thread.

Go to whichever is cheaper. Med school is expensive enough; don't go adding on any more premed debt than is absolutely necessary. If they're basically the same price, and if you're planning to apply OOS (hopefully you are unless you're applying to an ED program), UGA probably has more OOS name recognition and more course options, so I'd be inclined to lean toward UGA for those reasons. But it won't be a big deal either way. Just do well in your classes at whichever one you attend. Your GPA matters more to adcoms than the name of the school you earned it from does.

Reactions: 1 user
Well actually I'm a georgia resident, so no OOS. No ED either,though, because I don't think my GPA will be at the 3.7 required for ED

Reactions: 1 user
Well actually I'm a georgia resident, so no OOS. No ED either,though, because I don't think my GPA will be at the 3.7 required for ED
No, what I mean is, when you apply to med school, you should apply to some OOS med schools as well as to your in-state med schools *unless* you make the decision to apply to one med school ED. GA doesn't have enough med schools to make only applying to the in-state schools a very viable strategy. Even here in FL where we have nine schools, I'd still advise most people to add on a few more.

I don't know much about GRU; don't think I've ever known anyone who went there.

GRU is what the latest name is. It's a merger of Augusta State and Georgia Health Sciences University.

If you know anyone who went to Medical College of Georgia, you know someone who went to GRU before the name change.

I did know that MCG was somehow connected to GRU, although I never really understood how the name transition worked. I should have clarified that I don't think I've known anyone who went to GRU as an undergrad.

MCG turned into Georgia Health, then that merged with ASU and became GRU. It all happened in the past two years I believe. I've applied to MCG for four years and it's been through three names in this time. If you know anyone who went to Augusta State, that's basically GRU. Even Emory has students who went there at one point or another. When I was at Emory one job, I had involved assessing transfer credits so I saw it a few times.

So confusing lol. I thought they held onto the MCG name since the bag they gave me when I was there just a few months ago reads, "GRU Medical College of Georgia." I think I know of one or two people who went to Augusta State but don't know them very well.

Very nice school from what I saw, nonetheless. Everyone was super welcoming there.

That was part of the deal, they kept the brand name of MCG.

I really liked them. I have been on their wait list for two cycles now.