University of Hawaii at Hilo Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmerbeansss

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! :) I figured I'd start a thread for UHH COP this cycle.. Who else is applying here?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey good luck! I am interviewing in Anaheim, CA on Dec 10th. I submitted the supplemental on Sept 9th, and received the interview invite Sept 25th.

Hey good luck! I am interviewing in Anaheim, CA on Dec 10th. I submitted the supplemental on Sept 9th, and received the interview invite Sept 25th.

Nice! Good luck on your interview, Dave! I wish I applied earlier; I waited for my August PCAT results to come in so yeah. I hope I can still get an interview somehow!

Members don't see this ad :)
Nice! Good luck on your interview, Dave! I wish I applied earlier; I waited for my August PCAT results to come in so yeah. I hope I can still get an interview somehow!

Don't worry, it's still early in the process!:thumbup:

Dave, I'm interviewing on that day too! What time will you be there?

Hey everyone,

I am also interviewing, but my interview is in Las Vegas on Dec 11th...Does anyone else have that date?

Good luck to you guys getting through the interview and such..... I'm a P1 at the school, if there's anyway I could help, let me know.

Yay, I'm glad more people are posting on this thread.

ionou & kona8, congrats on your interview invites! Just wondering..after you submitted your supplemental, how long did it take to get interview invites?

Shimmery, I recognize your name from the UHH COP Fall 2010 thread! Didn't get to apply last year because of some letter of rec problems, but I pretty much read most of that thread. Kind of late, but congrats!!

It took almost 1 month.

ionou & kona8, congrats on your interview invites! Just wondering..after you submitted your supplemental, how long did it take to get interview invites?

Shimmery, I recognize your name from the UHH COP Fall 2010 thread! Didn't get to apply last year because of some letter of rec problems, but I pretty much read most of that thread. Kind of late, but congrats!!

Lol thanks.

Dave, I'm interviewing on that day too! What time will you be there?

Cool, congrats!:) Well I am scheduled for 8:30am but I will likely be there earlier just in case.

I'm scheduled for the same time. :)

I submitted my supp on 8/31 and recieved the invite on 9/25...so almost a month for me also

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know of a contact person at U of Hilo? I just recently submited my supplemental and I got a letter saying that I need a LOR, and statement of interest? I know my LOR's are on my Pharmcas application because the other schools I applied to got them (I had a pharmacist and two science professors), and a statement of interest? When I called them I got an answering machine and so far no one has called me back. When I emailed them they told me to contact the pharmacy dept., thats when I called and got put over to voicemail. Anyways can someone give me some advice, other wise I'll just have to keep getting on them.

Does anyone know of a contact person at U of Hilo? I just recently submited my supplemental and I got a letter saying that I need a LOR, and statement of interest? I know my LOR's are on my Pharmcas application because the other schools I applied to got them (I had a pharmacist and two science professors), and a statement of interest? When I called them I got an answering machine and so far no one has called me back. When I emailed them they told me to contact the pharmacy dept., thats when I called and got put over to voicemail. Anyways can someone give me some advice, other wise I'll just have to keep getting on them.

Try this number: (808) 933-7664 Liz Heffernan or Kristy Nakamura will be able to help you.

I just got an invite! December 11 in Anaheim, CA. AHHH!!! So excited.

hi yall! i was wondering if yall could provide yalls stats? those were are applying, applied and invited!! thanks so much!

hi yall! i was wondering if yall could provide yalls stats? those were are applying, applied and invited!! thanks so much!

My stats are not great; my overall GPA is 3.16, and I don't even know what my PCAT score is yet. I took it in August, and my scores got lost. They're being resent though so I'll let you know when I get those back! :)

Anyone else interviewing on Wednesday, Dec 8th, in Vegas?

FYI... the larger 4 star hotels (Luxor, MGM, Monte Carlo) is better and cost less than Embassy Suites (only 3 stars) where the interviews are being held.

Hello :)

I just esubmitted my application to PharmCAS last night.. I had everything ready to go at the end of August but I was taking a long time to work on my personal statement :( Im so anxious and nervous about this whole process.. I was born and raised in Hawaii so hopefully the 45 resident seats are going to increase my chance of getting accepted :xf:

Congratulations for the interview invites!! I really wish I had completed my application earlier.. oh well!

Are there any Hawaii residents out there that are applying to UHH?

Oh and do you think it's going to take a few weeks for UHH to get my application? (if you guys can share your timeline, from esubmission to interview invited, that would be really appreciated :))

Hello :)

I just esubmitted my application to PharmCAS last night.. I had everything ready to go at the end of August but I was taking a long time to work on my personal statement :( Im so anxious and nervous about this whole process.. I was born and raised in Hawaii so hopefully the 45 resident seats are going to increase my chance of getting accepted :xf:

Congratulations for the interview invites!! I really wish I had completed my application earlier.. oh well!

Are there any Hawaii residents out there that are applying to UHH?

Oh and do you think it's going to take a few weeks for UHH to get my application? (if you guys can share your timeline, from esubmission to interview invited, that would be really appreciated :))

Hi Silvia! If mine wasn't too late, I don't think yours is either. Here's my timeline:

PharmCAS mailed out: 9/27
Supplemental requested: 9/27
Supplemental submitted & confirmation of receipt by UHH COP: 9/29
Revised PharmCAS mailed out with PCAT score: 10/4
Notification of complete application: 10/4
Interview Invite: 10/8

Hi jillybeeean!

Thank you so much for your timeline! How long did it take PharmCAS to mail your application? :) It hasn't even been 24 hours since I submitted my app and already I feel like I'm having anxiety attacks haha!!

Oh, and thank you for starting this thread.. Ive been waiting for months for someone to start one (obviously I wasnt brave enough to start one lol) :)

Hi jillybeeean!

Thank you so much for your timeline! How long did it take PharmCAS to mail your application? :) It hasn't even been 24 hours since I submitted my app and already I feel like I'm having anxiety attacks haha!!

Oh, and thank you for starting this thread.. Ive been waiting for months for someone to start one (obviously I wasnt brave enough to start one lol) :)

No problem!! :) PharmCAS mails apps out Mondays, and I believe it's something like if you e-submit by Wednesday, your app will get mailed out the following Monday. So if I'm right, your PharmCAS should be mailed out on 10/18!

I've been wanting to start this thread for the longest time too, and I'm really glad I did! If you don't mind me asking, have you been to Hilo at all? I've never even been to Hawaii, but I've just been reading about what Hilo is like, and I just have this feeling that it's the right school for me :) I really hope I have a chance.. :xf:

Last edited:
Hilo is a very quiet city.

Not really much to do here............

Hello everyone. Congrats to those of you who already have an interview.

I e-submitted on 10/06 and they still have not mailed anything out to hilo. Pharmcas says five weeks, has anyone found that it takes the full five weeks?

Also, is anyone in here taking the pcat this Saturday?

Thanks!

Hilo is a very quiet city.

Not really much to do here............

I heard there isn't much of a nightlife there, since everything closes pretty early. I do go out occasionally, but I don't think it's something that I need..

If you don't mind sharing, what have you been doing when you're not studying?

Hello everyone. Congrats to those of you who already have an interview.

I e-submitted on 10/06 and they still have not mailed anything out to hilo. Pharmcas says five weeks, has anyone found that it takes the full five weeks?

Also, is anyone in here taking the pcat this Saturday?

Thanks!

Thanks, moisturize! Has your GPA been calculated yet? I'm not sure if this is gonna help you, but I e-submitted in early August and it was verified in about a week. I'm guessing they're processing more applications now though so it might take longer for them to calculate your GPA...but I haven't read anything about GPA calculations taking the full 5 weeks. The longest I've seen is 2 weeks, but that was in early September. On the PharmCAS thread, there were people who e-submitted on 9/28 and had theirs verified in less than a week. I guess it varies. Hopefully yours gets calculated soon!

Oh and good luck on your PCAT :)

If you don't mind me asking, have you been to Hilo at all? I've never even been to Hawaii, but I've just been reading about what Hilo is like, and I just have this feeling that it's the right school for me :) I really hope I have a chance.. :xf:

Yea Ive been to Hilo March 2009 to check out the UHH CoP.. that was the first time that I went and coming from Honolulu that first thing I thought was "WOW, it's so GREEN!!" haha! it's a small, quiet town compared to Honolulu and Waikiki (where I spend half my day).. but its a good quiet.. you know what I mean? ;)

Im pretty big on shopping so when one of the coordinators said "let's go to the mall" I was so excited!! we parked by Macy's, got in, and I decided to take a look around on my own. walking, walking, walking.. passed by a few stores.. the usual, AE, pacsun.. turned the corner and I hit a door.. that first thing that went through my mind ... "dont tell me this is the end?!":eek:, the second thing that went through my mind was.. "Im going to be doing a lot of online shopping" lol!! :laugh:

I went a second time in January with my bf to take my PCAT... yea... I registered for the PCAT too late and the only test center that was open was at UHH.. so I had to fly there the night before, get a hotel room, rent a car.. the whole works.. after the test we went up Mauna Kea to the observatory and... damn it was cold!! Being born and raised in Hawaii I am not use to cold weather so the whole time I was just sipping on hot cocoa :p I viewed it as training because couple weeks later my bf and I went to Japan for the snow festival (the first time I saw snow).. :)

Aaaanyway, even though I am use to the life in Waikiki I can still see myself living in Hilo.. I am pretty laid back (for the most part), sometimes reserved so I think I should be okay.. OH! actually I met one of my friend's friend that was raised in Hilo and he said that "you would love Hilo if you love the outdoors, and outdoor activities!"... :eek: I guess if (hopefully when) I get there, Im going to be watching a lot of movies at home hehe :D

I hope this helps :luck:

Last edited:
Yea Ive been to Hilo March 2009 to check out the UHH CoP.. that was the first time that I went and coming from Honolulu that first thing I thought was "WOW, it's so GREEN!!" haha! it's a small, quiet town compared to Honolulu and Waikiki (where I spend half my day).. but its a good quiet.. you know what I mean? ;)

Im pretty big on shopping so when one of the coordinators said "let's go to the mall" I was so excited!! we parked by Macy's, got in, and I decided to take a look around on my own. walking, walking, walking.. passed by a few stores.. the usual, AE, pacsun.. turned the corner and I hit a door.. that first thing that went through my mind ... "dont tell me this is the end?!":eek:, the second thing that went through my mind was.. "Im going to be doing a lot of online shopping" lol!! :laugh:

I went a second time in January with my bf to take my PCAT... yea... I registered for the PCAT too late and the only test center that was open was at UHH.. so I had to fly there the night before, get a hotel room, rent a car.. the whole works.. after the test we went up Mauna Kea to the observatory and... damn it was cold!! Being born and raised in Hawaii I am not use to cold weather so the whole time I was just sipping on hot cocoa :p I viewed it as training because couple weeks later my bf and I went to Japan for the snow festival (the first time I saw snow).. :)

Aaaanyway, even though I am use to the life in Waikiki I can still see myself living in Hilo.. I am pretty laid back (for the most part), sometimes reserved so I think I should be okay.. OH! actually I met one of my friend's friend that was raised in Hilo and he said that "you would love Hilo if you love the outdoors, and outdoor activities!"... :eek: I guess if (hopefully when) I get there, Im going to be watching a lot of movies at home hehe :D

I hope this helps :luck:

Wow, thanks so much for sharing all that! I really appreciate it :)

Yup, I heard about how there's only one mall there, and that it's very small. Should I get accepted...online shopping it is!

How cold was it in January? I'm from NorCal, and I'm used to the weather here, but I was born and raised in the Philippines so I LOVE warm weather. I also just googled the Snow Festival; it looks amazing! You're lucky..I have yet to go and see snow.

I've also heard about how outdoorsy people would love Hilo. I like to run sometimes, and I like going to the beach, but I'm not much of an outdoors person either..but I can still see myself appreciating how (supposedly) beautiful Hilo is. But being more of a laid back person who just likes to hang out with friends...movies at home is always nice!

Wow, thanks so much for sharing all that! I really appreciate it :)

Yup, I heard about how there's only one mall there, and that it's very small. Should I get accepted...online shopping it is!

How cold was it in January? I'm from NorCal, and I'm used to the weather here, but I was born and raised in the Philippines so I LOVE warm weather. I also just googled the Snow Festival; it looks amazing! You're lucky..I have yet to go and see snow.

I've also heard about how outdoorsy people would love Hilo. I like to run sometimes, and I like going to the beach, but I'm not much of an outdoors person either..but I can still see myself appreciating how (supposedly) beautiful Hilo is. But being more of a laid back person who just likes to hang out with friends...movies at home is always nice!

In January it was warm in Hilo (on sea level), like the rest of the state, but we went up Mauna Kea (mountain) and where the information center was (half way to get to the observatories) it was like 45 degrees F.. something like that :p

In my understanding, the warmth in the Philippines and in Hawaii is different. My bf's family is from the Philippines and they always talk about how hot it is in the Philippines and the summers in Hawaii are nothing compared to there. Im not too sure about the Big Island but on Oahu we get trade winds, so although the sun can be blazing, as soon as you stand in the shade it gets really cool ;) Im sure you will love the weather here :)

As for my application, PharmCAS didnt post my GPA calculations so it's probably going to take a while for it to get sent out huh? my friends and family are like, " now that you finish your application, you can just sit down and relax so you must be happy"... umm.. no!! I really dont like just sitting around, having no control over something that is so important in my life..!! *sigh* but I guess getting stressed out is not going to help so I just have to chill for a while :whistle:

hey guys...

congrats to all that have already been invited to an interview! i should be submitting my pharmcas app by tomorrow and anticipating a GPA around 3.0.
PCAT=76 comp but my chem is 43 :(

good luck to everyone.
btw...i'm from norcal as well.

In January it was warm in Hilo (on sea level), like the rest of the state, but we went up Mauna Kea (mountain) and where the information center was (half way to get to the observatories) it was like 45 degrees F.. something like that :p

In my understanding, the warmth in the Philippines and in Hawaii is different. My bf's family is from the Philippines and they always talk about how hot it is in the Philippines and the summers in Hawaii are nothing compared to there. Im not too sure about the Big Island but on Oahu we get trade winds, so although the sun can be blazing, as soon as you stand in the shade it gets really cool ;) Im sure you will love the weather here :)

As for my application, PharmCAS didnt post my GPA calculations so it's probably going to take a while for it to get sent out huh? my friends and family are like, " now that you finish your application, you can just sit down and relax so you must be happy"... umm.. no!! I really dont like just sitting around, having no control over something that is so important in my life..!! *sigh* but I guess getting stressed out is not going to help so I just have to chill for a while :whistle:

Sounds like Hawaii weather > Philippines weather for the most part. I moved to CA in 2002, and the first time I went back to visit the PI was just a few months ago for my sister's wedding..I could not believe how hot it was. I don't remember it being that hot. But yeah, I'm sure I will love the weather there!!

I'm not really sure how long GPA calculations take now... it seems to vary quite a bit, but I'm sure it will be done soon enough! And yeah, it's very hard to just sit and wait.. but you're right, stressing out is not going to help. I really like being on SDN though; it really helps to talk to others who are going through the same thing :)

hey guys...

congrats to all that have already been invited to an interview! i should be submitting my pharmcas app by tomorrow and anticipating a GPA around 3.0.
PCAT=76 comp but my chem is 43 :(

good luck to everyone.
btw...i'm from norcal as well.

Thanks sfsu, and good luck to you too!! :) My GPA is similar to yours; I don't know what my PCAT score is though since my scores got lost in the mail.. and yay norcal <3

i've also visited uh hilo. its a really nice place. i actually applied last year, and the whole application process is pretty hectic. i was a semester short of receiving my BS, and i was still on the alternate list until a couple months ago. i decided to register for classes to complete my BS before they notified me, which turned out to be a pretty good plan. there was just one point of the three suggested that i was instructed to do to help me for this application process. that was to get a competitive pcat score.

the interview was really lax and fun, but i was still on my guard. i just re-took the pcat this past sat. and i'm crossing my fingers :xf: i'm looking forward to the interview experience again. :D

I don't know why everyone says there is nothing to do in Hilo. The only reason why I am applying to Hilo COP is because I do brazilian jiu jitsu and BJ Penn's Academy is there, lol.

The only way one can enter into the sacred Academy is by INVITATION. and also you gotta go 3 rounds with BJ to prove your worth. good luck. :laugh: jk

hi guys! i submitted my designation for Hilo early Monday morning of this week...so does the school email out the supplemental invitation or is the link somewhere on the site?

also, for those who received interview invites, do you mind posting your stats if possible? this question has probably been asked already..sorry if this is redundant! good luck everyone! :xf::luck::)

hi guys! i submitted my designation for Hilo early Monday morning of this week...so does the school email out the supplemental invitation or is the link somewhere on the site?

also, for those who received interview invites, do you mind posting your stats if possible? this question has probably been asked already..sorry if this is redundant! good luck everyone! :xf::luck::)

hi hoangnhigege! i think mine is the only stat posted so far, but i don't think it's gonna help you too much. i don't have my PCAT scores yet.. they got lost in the mail. but my GPA's 3.16.

once UHH COP receives your PharmCAS, they send you an e-mail to request that you complete their supplemental. good luck to you too!! :)

Thanks for answering that so fast jillybean! My cumulative gpa is similar to yours but science gpa is a disaster. Decent Pcat score. I'm glad u got selected for an interview bc that gives me hope at least . :) hopefully they'll email me soon for the supplemental stuff cuz I finAlly have down time this weekend

@ jillybeeean: just out of curiosity, did you get your interview w/o hilo knowing your pcat scores? does pharmcas have them yet?

@ hoangnhigege: my stats are posted as well.

and as always...good luck to us ALL!!!

@ jillybeeean: just out of curiosity, did you get your interview w/o hilo knowing your pcat scores? does pharmcas have them yet?

@ hoangnhigege: my stats are posted as well.

and as always...good luck to us ALL!!!

Hilo knew what my PCAT scores were; PharmCAS forwarded it to them before I got my interview invite.

Thanks for answering that so fast jillybean! My cumulative gpa is similar to yours but science gpa is a disaster. Decent Pcat score. I'm glad u got selected for an interview bc that gives me hope at least . :) hopefully they'll email me soon for the supplemental stuff cuz I finAlly have down time this weekend

No problem :) I'm subscribed to this thread and I check SDN a lot so I'm able to respond quickly, hehe.

I will be interviewing on the Dec 11th in Las Vegas. Anyone else going to be there on the same day?

This thread gives me hope <3

I currently have ~3.4 and did poorly my freshman year. I'm currently a 2nd year and lost hope of becoming a pharmacist this summer, but rethought about the decision when I started Ochem (I rather quite like Ochem...)

Anyway, UHH is my #1 right now... What do you guys know about their PRN/PharmD program?

Thanks!

I figured I should stop lurking and post in this threat. I'll be interviewing in Vegas December 10th! December can't come soon enough!!!

LOL 808. I didn't think anyone on here would know what the crap I was talking about.

That would be the perfect combination though, working to get my black belt and PharmD simultaneously!!

some people still have a little faith in BJ... but one more in the L column, and my team hawaii shirt is going to the salvation army. hahaha.

and congrats to all those invited to interview!!!

Hey everyone! Congrats to all who got interviews!
I had mine scheduled for December 10th in Vegas but ended up canceling it because I got into Midwestern Glendale early. It would have been great to go though and see how everything was!

Good luck to all who's interviewing!

the interview for hilo is in ca?