University of Hawaii at Hilo College of Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sad, ahh alternate list... What are my chances?

Your chances aren't bad. I got waitlisted after my interview, then got pulled off two weeks before school started, though this was a few years ago.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
You will begin with a 30min closed interview with one of the faculty. This means he or she hasn't seen your file beforehand which limits preconceived notions... to your benefit.

1. Relax... Everyone is really friendly and down to Earth.

2. Be Prepared... Expect to talk about why you want to be a pharmacist, what types of challenges the profession faces in the future, and how you deal with people from different cultures and backgrounds.

3. Be Positive and Optimistic... Explain any extenuating circumstances (low grades, medical problems, etc) in a concise manner and end it on a positive note (great learning experience, refocus, etc.).

4. Hilo = home... Show that you have done your research about Hilo and Big Island and will be comfortable living there for the duration.

5. Be Professional & Be Yourself!

After the 30 minute interview there will be an essay prompt. 1 page & handwritten. It doesn't really require any study or preparation... just use proper grammar and all.

Considering withdrawing my application here ... I would have to head to L.A. after my interview at UCSD and I don't think it's worth the extra travel. What do y'all think?

Hello Everyone!

My name is Jarred and I'm one of the Student Ambassadors at the Daniel K. Inouye College of Pharmacy at UH Hilo. I'll be here for the month of January to assist any of you that have questions about the school, student life, the area, or anything in general. Just a little background, I'm currently a P3 and will graduate in 2015. I was born and raised here in Hilo, and did some undergraduate studies at UHH as well. Please don't hesitate to contact me here or at [email protected] if you have any questions at all.

What is it like living in Hilo? What do people do in their free time? Do you need to have a car to get around?

What is it like living in Hilo? What do people do in their free time? Do you need to have a car to get around?

Hilo is a pretty small town, and I think it's a great environment to be in pharmacy school. Personally I do a lot of outdoor activities, like hiking, intramural sports with classmates, and going to the beach. I would say you definitely need a car. We have basically no reliable public transportation, and you'll need a car to get to your rotations. Also, the nice beaches and hikes are probably about an hour outside of hilo at least. There's not much of a night life here, so we all get to know each other pretty well and hang out.

So I also got an interview invite at either the Hawaii, LA or Vegas location but the weird thing is after I completed/submitted my supplemental application in November they sent me a rejection letter. Has this happened to anyone before? I don't know if this is a mistake? or the rejection/interview letter was a mistake? Kinda strange to get rejected initially and then get offered an interview invite..

Last edited:
is any one interviewing at the LA location in two weeks?

Members don't see this ad :)
Recieved an interview invite as well! If anyone has any tips on the interview and writing prompt I would greatly appreciate it! Would also like to hear about everyone's experiences! Good Luck guys!

Sure, I opted to interview at the Las Vegas location. The interview will be a closed-file one-on-one with a faculty/staff. They reiterate for the interview to be more casual in order to promote natural conversation, though they will have questions to ask you. There is also a writing portion that evaluates solely your writing affinity, like most other schools.

My interviewer was friendly and made it appoint to explain what to expect with life on Hilo, especially for prospective pharmacy students. This took about 1-1.5 hours in total. I had a good experience with my faculty member and was informed much about the school.

Thanks so much for sharing! My interview is next week and I'm pretty nervous =/

Recieved an interview invite as well! If anyone has any tips on the interview and writing prompt I would greatly appreciate it! Would also like to hear about everyone's experiences! Good Luck guys!
Hi
what day is your interview. I recently got an invite and will interview in Las Vegas on the 19th

Hi
what day is your interview. I recently got an invite and will interview in Las Vegas on the 19th

Hey there! I will be at the last interview date on February 24th. I'm a bit worried about the number of seats that will be left by then but I couldn't make any other dates. Where are you flying in from?

I was worried about the dates as well I tried to pick the earliest date that would work with my schedule now im nervous and just trying to prepare. I am from texas so I will be flying in from houston.

I'm kinda late in the game but I'm about to submit my supplement today! Anyone know about how long it took to receive an interview invite after you submitted?

I'm kinda late in the game but I'm about to submit my supplement today! Anyone know about how long it took to receive an interview invite after you submitted?

They respond right away. Hopefully you got an interview invite soon. I think they only have a few interview dates left. The last date I saw was for 24th of Feb.

does anyone know about the current updates on the UHH's future accreditation status? Correct me if I am wrong but after researching more about this school, I've read that this school does not have a permanent facility for the CoP and therefore its accreditation is being jeopardized for not meeting standards? I've read some recent articles that the university's accreditation is being extended to 2015 or else it'll be put on probation?

What happens when a school loses accreditation? I actually really want to attend to this school and I believe that this school has a lot to offer compared to the other pharmacy schools out there..but all because of a building? I'm just a little worried about this whole situation...

does anyone know about the current updates on the UHH's future accreditation status? Correct me if I am wrong but after researching more about this school, I've read that this school does not have a permanent facility for the CoP and therefore its accreditation is being jeopardized for not meeting standards? I've read some recent articles that the university's accreditation is being extended to 2015 or else it'll be put on probation?

What happens when a school loses accreditation? I actually really want to attend to this school and I believe that this school has a lot to offer compared to the other pharmacy schools out there..but all because of a building? I'm just a little worried about this whole situation...

Hi there! I'm actually a student at the school and our Dean met with the entire school and told us what was happening, so I can pass that along to you. The most important piece of information for me, and for you, is that UH Hilo is an accredited school. As long as the school is accredited when you're admitted, you will graduate from an accredited school. The Dean also explained how accreditation is an ongoing process at any school; so we've received accreditation again because of our merit. Currently, our faculty is split up into a few locations, some of our research labs and faculty offices are a few minutes away from the main campus where we have classes. The ACPE wants the faculty consolidated into one location to help grow the program in a positive direction, and we're working on this right now with the State's House of Representatives. We've had politicians visit us (including the Governor) and it looks like we're in a good place right now, so I wouldn't worry too much. The ACPE has also told us that "The execution of an exit strategy has never taken place because historically programs have been able to come out of probationary status." We're not really that far along yet and things are moving forward so don't worry too much!

I hope I didn't sound like I was preaching but I wanted to clear that up for you. We really do have a great program out here. I think if you need any more assurance that you'll be fine, give the Admissions office a call. They're extremely friendly!

Good luck with admissions!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi there! I'm actually a student at the school and our Dean met with the entire school and told us what was happening, so I can pass that along to you. The most important piece of information for me, and for you, is that UH Hilo is an accredited school. As long as the school is accredited when you're admitted, you will graduate from an accredited school. The Dean also explained how accreditation is an ongoing process at any school; so we've received accreditation again because of our merit. Currently, our faculty is split up into a few locations, some of our research labs and faculty offices are a few minutes away from the main campus where we have classes. The ACPE wants the faculty consolidated into one location to help grow the program in a positive direction, and we're working on this right now with the State's House of Representatives. We've had politicians visit us (including the Governor) and it looks like we're in a good place right now, so I wouldn't worry too much. The ACPE has also told us that "The execution of an exit strategy has never taken place because historically programs have been able to come out of probationary status." We're not really that far along yet and things are moving forward so don't worry too much!

I hope I didn't sound like I was preaching but I wanted to clear that up for you. We really do have a great program out here. I think if you need any more assurance that you'll be fine, give the Admissions office a call. They're extremely friendly!

Good luck with admissions!

ah thanks for all the info! it def makes the situation more reassuring :) i wouldn't want this school to go down hill or anything because i do think that this school has a really good and unique program. so i'm glad that things are moving forward for the school.

Hey guys! Does anyone know when we should be hearing back after the last round of interviews, in Vegas?

Hey guys! Does anyone know when we should be hearing back after the last round of interviews, in Vegas?

Hehe your anxious. I feel it so am I. That was by far one of the best interviews that I've had. She just made everything feel relaxing and comfortable so I could be myself and thats such a big help. She said in 2-3 weeks we should get a letter in the mail.

Hehe your anxious. I feel it so am I. That was by far one of the best interviews that I've had. She just made everything feel relaxing and comfortable so I could be myself and thats such a big help. She said in 2-3 weeks we should get a letter in the mail.
Lol yes, I am! It was such a relaxed environment. Hoping good news will be coming our way in a few weeks!

Lol yes, I am! It was such a relaxed environment. Hoping good news will be coming our way in a few weeks!

Of course! I wish you the best of luck as well!

Hey! I just talked to Kristy a few minutes ago and she said we will get an email!

Hey! I just talked to Kristy a few minutes ago and she said we will get an email!
I sent her an email today when notifications will be sent out for those who interviewed in February and she said the committee is aiming to send out results by the end of this week or early next week

Reactions: 1 user
Aloha kākou - I'm about to withdraw my application. I've accepted a seat at Roseman University CoP. I hope this allows someone else to receive an interview invitation. Good luck!

Just withdrew my application, got into University of California San Diego! Hope one of you guys get in! :)

Just got placed on alternate list. Did anyone get the same response?

I got the alternate list email as well :-(
Yeah sucks.. I thought I did well on the interview too..hopefully they can pull us through the waitlist. Is this school your top choice?

alternate list as well. this really sucks =(

Yeah sucks.. I thought I did well on the interview too..hopefully they can pull us through the waitlist. Is this school your top choice?[/q]I felt pretty good about the interview as well. Hopefully everything works out....but I'm kinda disappointed.

Last edited:
Aww man I got the alternate list as well guys! I didn't realize they sent e-mails until I got a notification from SDN. How does the alternate list process go again?

Aww man I got the alternate list as well guys! I didn't realize they sent e-mails until I got a notification from SDN. How does the alternate list process go again?
That's a good question! I thought they just picked people based on rank to fill open seats.....but the email stated that it's not ranked so I'm a bit confused as to how it works.....I wonder how many are on the alternate list...

maybe they ended up putting everyone on alternate lol. but yeah i do feel kinda disappointed too since i felt pretty confident after the interview. but i'm not really sure how the alternate list works since it says it is not ranked. i guess they re-evaluate your app and based on which students they like they will pull them out of the alternate list and give them an open spot. that's just my thoughts..

Hey guys don't worry still a chance, I was alternated as well but just got pulled off..

Don't lose your hope to all the people who just got wait listed.

interviewed 2/17 @ Vegas and today i got the second interview invitation(Skype interview). Anyone in the same situation?

interviewed 2/17 @ Vegas and today i got the second interview invitation(Skype interview). Anyone in the same situation?
I didn't know they have second interviews..

Wow first time I heard of that.. How is it and did they say why they needed a second interview ?

Hi all,
I have some questions for current DKICP students. Any information would be greatly appreciated :)
I know there's a lot of APPE sites in other islands of Hawai'i and in mainland for 4th year students but what about years 1~3 IPPE? For first 3 years, are we allowed to do our IPPE only in Big Island?
What are some housing options? I am OOS and have never been to Hilo so I prefer to live on campus at least during my first year. Are undergrads and grad students have the same options or grad/professional program students have their own dorms and apartment units?
Since I'm from a big city in the mainland, I'm a little afraid of what's called an "island fever." How realistic are weekend trips to other islands? Are there many collaborative projects, such as community services and educational seminars, with physicians, nurses, pharmacists and med/nursing students from other islands?
Lastly, any updates on the permanent pharmacy building?
Thank you.