University of Hawaii at Hilo COP - Applicants for 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Forrest Gump

Running towards my future
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to start a thread where applicants to Hilo can exchange information regarding our applications, status, etc. Though I'm applying to a few other schools, from my research so far it looks like Hilo would be the best fit for me. I just finished my supplemental this week so now as I work on my others I can sit back and wait for some news from the Big Island :D

Members don't see this ad.

same here. hawaii weather sounds good when you've lived in alaska your whole life! i'm almost done with my supplemental (but i still haven't completed the pharmcas app yet) so i'm waiting for my PCAT scores to come in and then i'm going to submit everything.

btw, forrest, did you ever find out about the prereq % complete stuff at the end of the supplemental? if not, i'm gonna email the people over at the COP. they seem to be very punctual when it comes to responding back. :)

I just decided today to go ahead and apply to Hilo...Nervous about being so far from "the mainland," but seems like it would be exciting, too. Anyone know how happy their students are with curriculum, etc.? I've seen some negative posts but seems to come from one person only.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am also applying to Hilo for Fall 2010. My husband said if we have to move out of state, minus well move somewhere awesome!

What are your stats?

My overall GPA is a 3.0, so not the greatest. I have BS in Biological Sciences. I worked as a tech all throughout college. I have worked 3 years post-BS at a FDA-regulated Pharmaceutical company. I started to retake some of my science classes. I took the PCAT a while ago, and honestly do not remember my scores. I just took it again on Aug 22.

I completed and submitted the Supplemental Application beginning of August. I got confirmation from Hilo saying they received my supplemental. My Pharmcas Application will be mailed out with the next mailing (they told me that over a week ago).

Good Luck to all of you. I will keep you posted on if I hear for an interview or anything else.

Kern,

I called the admissions office the other day and the lady I spoke with said she thought they wanted you to put the % completed. As she didn't sound convinced herself and I was anxious to submit my supplemental I improvised. I put the percentage completed/GPA. Because my overall GPA on their form was so much higher than Pharmcas, I wanted them to see it! I figured it couldn't hurt.

Coastygirl,

I have read most of the posts about Hilo on this site from the past two years and most of the feedback about the classes, professors, etc. has been positive. Most of the negative posts seem to be from those who wouldn't be happy living on an island without a lot of nightlife. I love to run so the place looks like a dream to me with the waterfalls, lava beaches, and volcanos.

Sasmw,

My stats aren't the highest either but I really feel I'm a well rounded candidate and I hope Hilo or another school will recognize that. My overall GPA is 3.1 (I switched from business to pharmacy my sophomore year so I had to load up on a lot of the pre reqs at the same time - not an excuse, just the reality.) I'm disappointed with my PCAT scores so far (56 & 58) but I'm optimistic I can improve on the October test. Your pharmacy experience and related experience is impressive and should help you stand out as a candidate. I had a hard time finding work in a pharmacy so I volunteered for a summer at a hospital pharmacy. Wish I had time to do more but it is hard when you're trying to finish pre-reqs, a degree, etc. I will graduate with my B.S. in Chemical Science in 12/09.

Thanks...Maybe I better read some more. I'm not a crazy nightlife type of person, so I'm just gonna go for it!

Sasmw2,

How long after you submitted your supplemental app did it take before you received a confirmation? I emailed/faxed mine on Tuesday and thought I'd hear something by now but I'm not sure what to expect. Thanks.

Hey! I submitted my supplemental via email on July 27 and received a confirmation on Aug 3.

Thanks - I'm anxious to get my confirmation and a little nervous at the same time because if they have it then they're reviewing it.

For those of you here so far, if you got an interview which location would you pick? Last year they held interviews in Hilo, Honolulu, Orlando, Las Vegas, and somewhere in California. As much as I would love to see Hilo at the interview, I live in Orlando so I'd interview there (if given the option) and save my $$ for other travel and future relocation expenses...

If I had to give you one advice for the supplemental app, it's to express your desires to live in Hilo and to possibly work in HI after graduation. Also, don't put too much pressure on yourself as many people pass up UHH to stay on the mainland. Even though they say there are only "45 seats" for non-HI residents, people don't generally stay in those seats for very long and if they can't find enough HI-residents to fill the other 45 seats, they'll offer them to non-HI residents.

Thanks - I'm anxious to get my confirmation and a little nervous at the same time because if they have it then they're reviewing it.

For those of you here so far, if you got an interview which location would you pick? Last year they held interviews in Hilo, Honolulu, Orlando, Las Vegas, and somewhere in California. As much as I would love to see Hilo at the interview, I live in Orlando so I'd interview there (if given the option) and save my $$ for other travel and future relocation expenses...

I did not know they interviewed at other locations - that is good.... as it would safe a lot on airfare. But at the same time it would be nice to see if you really want to live there for four years. I am not sure. Based on our finances I would probably have to interview close to home... I live in NC.

bluesickle,

I appreciate the advice and the information. Are you a current student at Hilo? If so, I will have a lot more questions. As for me, I made it very clear in my supplemental that I'd be happy to relocate to Hilo and would consider living there in the long term as well.

Well I still haven't received confirmation they received my supplemental and it has been about 10 days. I sent them an email but haven't heard back yet...

Any other Hilo applicants out there?

Members don't see this ad :)
No, but I got accepted during the last cycle. I think pharm1214 (or a name similar) is a current student there so you might want to PM him/her with your questions.

Ok, I needed to bump this thread up a bit as I'm hoping to hear from other applicants to Hilo so we can compare our journeys in the coming weeks and months.

I STILL haven't received a confirmation that they received my supplemental and I checked my bank statement and did not see a $50 charge for the application fee so now I'm wondering if my fax didn't go through? I emailed them again (no response the first time) and I hope they answer as I would hate a faulty fax to hold up my application! As I'm still waiting for my third reference to submit (delay due to surgery), Hilo is the only application I have completed (well, maybe not...) as they only require two references. Now to think that it may not even be complete is making me a little crazy:scared:!!

If I don't hear back from Hilo soon, do you think I should refax the payment authorization? Anyone else still waiting for confirmation?

I submitted about two weeks ago and it took them four days to confirm receipt of my application (which they did via e-mail). But I just checked my bank account and they still have not cashed my check.

I would just send a gentle reminder e-mail, asking if they received the fax.

antivirals,

I appreciate your input - I received an email reply tonight that said they received my fax and would forward the information to the business office later this week. Who knew it would take that long? Just glad to hear they have me on their radar!

Well seeing as this thread is so quiet I'm assuming that I'm one of the only ones applying to Hilo so I'm a shoo-in! JK

Seriously,

Has anyone out there who has applied heard any feedback?

i haven't submitted my supplemental but i'm ALMOST done. let's hope for the best forrest! you and i as well as the few quiet ones are in the same boat. i'll update whenever my Pharmcas app and supplementals are in. :)

Kern,

Thanks for keeping me company until the others start chiming in! Judging from last years thread, prospects started hearing back from Hilo in October and interviews began in December so hopefully we'll hear something fairly soon. The waiting would drive me crazy but as I'm finishing my last semester of college I'm trying my best to distract myself with my studies...

I am still waiting to hear any feedback after I submitted my Pharmcas application. They did contact me after I submitted my supplemental (which was before the Pharmcas was mailed).

I would really like to know from somewhere if I am accepted before Christmas. What a great present that would be!

sasmw,

I agree it would be a "Happy Holiday" to get accepted into a pharmacy school by christmas! :)

Does anyone know the curriculum at Hilo COP? I haven't been able to find it anywhere (only the one for pre-pharmacy). I was just wondering because I've applied to a couple 3 year schools which are described as accelerated. Does that mean that if you go to a four year pharmacy school you have summers off? It may be a bit late to be looking at this but to be honest I assumed I'd be going full-time whichever school I ended up at so it didn't make a difference to me. Now, I guess I'm curious to know more.

the cirriculum is located here: http://pharmacy.uhh.hawaii.edu/curriculum.php

i'm going to assume yes, 4 year schools have most summers off. I say most 'cause some 4 year schools require a course or rotations as a part of their cirriculum. i don't see hawaii having any summer courses, but like the title states, it's subject to change.

btw, i got my pharmcas GPA calculated and i'll be sending my supplemental by the end of next week! :)

Kern,

Thanks a lot for that info - I don't know why I couldn't find it but it has been a bit overwhelming lately trying to finish these applications as well as study for my current classes. I'm psyched to have summers off to clear my head - I just kept thinking about the next 3 or 4 years of my life and never anticipated any breaks. :laugh:

Good luck with your supplemental - I look forward to both of us hearing something soon. Judging by last year's message boards for Hilo it appears that happens in early October.

Kern,

Just got an email from Hilo that my application is complete and they are reviewing appliations to determine who gets interviewed. Even though I'm applying to other schools (to make sure I get into one), I can only picture myself at Hilo for some reason. Though it would be far away and I wouldn't get to see my family very often, the locale looks ideal for me. I love to run and do outdoor activities and it just looks like a great place for all of that. No traffic, no commute, not over populated, etc. are all +'s in my book. I'm from a big city and it's not my scene at all. I really hope to get an interview. So, get cracking on your supplemental so you can get an email like mine! By the way, last year they conducted interviews in Las Vegas, Orlando, and somewhere in California as well as Hilo. Which would you choose? I'd like to interview in Hilo but if Orlando is available I'd go with that due to cost and distance.

I too, received an email today stating that my application was complete except for my Pharmcas scores - I took in on Aug 22. So once they get the scores, in the next couple of weeks things will be a rollin.

My husband said, if we have to move out of state - we minus well move somewhere awesome. That is one of the reasons I decided to apply here.

Hey Forrest,

It's funny you mention that you "see" yourself in Hawaii, 'cause that's EXACTLY how I feel like right now. Hopefully it is meant for us to get in... :)

Hawaii seems to be the perfect fit for me all around: 4 year school, amazing weather (well, a few raindrops wouldn't hurt. I'd take rain over snow ANYDAY), and the diverse culture.

I would prefer going to an interview at Hilo if I had the choice (and money) but either Las Vegas or Los Angeles would do for me. Coming from Alaska, it doesn't matter where I go. Travel costs = $$$$$$$$$.

I'll try to submit the supplemental application by the end of next week. I need to get my supp. essays revised and edited. :) Hopefully we get interview invites soon!!!!!! :D

Kern,

Alaska? Wow that is extreme. I've lived in Florida all my life so I love going places where the climate is totally different. Though Hawaii's is similar to where I live it is much prettier than Florida. Here it is overdeveloped, overcrowded, noisy, etc. - can you tell I'm looking for a change of scenery?:laugh:

Hello All,
I will be applying to UH Hilo this year, but I am a little behind on my application so far. I have everything in except my personal statement and LORs for pharmcas and haven't done the supplemental. I just got done with all my first tests this semester so I am going to work on my app this week and hopefully finish it.
From reading all of the other posts and doing some research, it seems that there are good things and bad things about the school.
Some posters have said the facilities are a little run down and it is a newer school, which some have said may be less meaningful if the jobs become saturated. Also, they seemed to be hurting for students because late last year they were doing phone interviews and going through the wait list trying to find people in the late summer. For me it is hard because the area is very appealing, but the school may not be.
That being said I am still applying there especially because they conduct interviews early and let students know if they are in much earlier than most schools. UNMC, which is my top choice at the moment, does intervies in february and lets people know in early april. This is very late and it would be nice to know im in somewhere for sure to take some pressure off.
If i get an interview at UH I am probably going to go to the hilo interview location so i can see the campus and town for myself.
Good Luck to you guys and Ill be checking the forum to see progress.

Brunsizzle,

Welcome and thanks for your input. It's good you are going to try and finish up your application for Hilo this weekend because the sooner the better! I, too, have read the posts about Hilo and most have left me with a favorable impression. As a new pharmacy school, they have their challenges to establish a reputation (to attract more applicants) and work on their facilities as well. Many of the students that attend there are complimentary of the program and I can already tell from my contact with the staff that they are very friendly. I find the area (from what I've seen over the internet) very appealing as well and I will most likely choose Hilo if I'm accepted. The only exception would be if I get accepted to a school which has a 3 year program. As tough as that would be, I'd like to get into the work force as soon as possible! It is tough decision for many reasons so I'll just wait and cross that bridge if it comes up....

My original intention was to get my app in by the end of august because of what i read last year and the benefits of having them interview you early. That didn't happen though, in part because I was one required LOR short on the UNMC app, which requires a math AND science professor.
It seems like a lot of people that got the first set of interviews at HI were waitlisted anyway though and later accepted when they began the phone interviews. I think this year they may be more willing to accept people early to try and get commitments since waiting didn't work out last year.
Does anyone know if this year's class was full by the time school started? People were posting in late july that they were invited to phone interviews.
Oh and btw my stats are: 3.6-3.7 gpa, 94 composite pcat, bachelor's degree in biology from univeristy of nebraska, all classes taken at 4 year university, started as a pharm tech in may, some volunteer hours for local hospice spending time with patients, worked as middle school sports coach for 3 years, LOR's-1 pharmacist that i work under, boss when i was a coach, 1 engineering professor that i know personally but not really academically, and going to ask my analytical chem prof during the next office hours.
I am currently taking a few classes (anatomy, quant chem, and developmental psyc) that I didn't have that were prereqs.

brunsizzle,

Wow - your stats are impressive and I'm sure you'll get an interview whenever you apply. I recall from last cycle's posts that people were still getting accepted up to one to two weeks before classes started. I'm just taking things one step at a time - hopefully I'll get an interview and then I'll go from there. I'd really like to interview at Hilo to see where I'd potentially be spending the next four years of my life but I haven't decided what to do yet. It depends on how many other interviews I get and how much I have to spend $$ traveling. Don't know about you but it is a 14 hour flight from Florida to the Big Island. The longest flight I've ever been on was recently when I traveled with my family to California (5 hours). I can't imagine a 14 hour flight!

Thanks Forrest, well this is my second year applying and I have the same stats as last year except that i will have pharmacy experience now, which hopefully was what i needed? I also will have improved LOR's and a few more classes taken, although i already had a degree. I only applied to 1 school (UNMC) last year and i got "not admit" status after the interview. So believe me when i say pcat and grades aren't everything.
I live in Nebraska so im sure its about the same flight length but it will be worth it, I'll probably turn it into a mini vacation.
Do you know of any site that has pics of the campus and buildings other than the few "under construction" photos on the school site?

brunsizzle,

Sorry but I haven't been able to locate any other sites with photos. I think it is due to the fact that they are still in temporary quarters. According to this 2007 article here are their plans:

While the academic program is in place and faculty has been hired, the physical plant has yet to be built. The college will use borrowed classrooms and laboratory space on the main campus while money is raised for a $50 million stand-alone building.

"The temporary space will carry us through the next four years," said Pezzuto, who was hired last summer. "The facility planning will become a priority in the next few months."

He said a site has been selected and fundraising will begin for a planned 50,000-square-foot complex, which will house research and teaching labs, classrooms and offices.

Hope we hear something soon!:D

hey everyone, i'm currently a p1 at uh hilo. if you have any questions, just send me a pm.

Hawaii_Taoist_Retreat.jpg

Doesn't this look like a great place to attend pharmacy school?:D

Rerwan - I took you up on your offer and PM's you some questions - thanks!

Did you guys/girls start receving interviews?

PHP:
Did you guys/girls start receving interviews?

If I did I post it here immediately!!! Judging from last year's posts, applicants started receiving interview offers in early October so hopefully we'll hear something soon.

i'm almost done with my supplemental! (it feels like i'm beating a dead horse, but i will submit that sucker once i get my essay's edited.) i don't think i'm going to get an invite in october since that's when i'm gonna send out my app. pharmcas hasn't even sent it out yet although i esubbed it on the 7th of sept. looks like they're swamped.

just need to get my essay's edited and revised and off they go!!

LOL Hilo does not look like that (its a city). If you drive outside the city...maybe. Oh and any beach is a couple hours away I think (Hilo is NOT a beach city). I wouldn't suggest going to HI just for that. Hilo is the exclusion to HI, its pretty cool and quaint BUT the weather is a little different (RAIN all the time), plus the cost of living is the same (OK almost the same) as a beach city with lots of amenities.
I visited last Jan. for an interview, cool place, but not worth 32K a year for tuition +cost of living.
My point is go to this school for the school. Once your a pharmacist you can visit HI anytime you want. Now if your a state resident, lucky you :)

LOL Hilo does not look like that (its a city). If you drive outside the city...maybe. Oh and any beach is a couple hours away I think (Hilo is NOT a beach city). I wouldn't suggest going to HI just for that. Hilo is the exclusion to HI, its pretty cool and quaint BUT the weather is a little different (RAIN all the time), plus the cost of living is the same (OK almost the same) as a beach city with lots of amenities.
I visited last Jan. for an interview, cool place, but not worth 32K a year for tuition +cost of living.
My point is go to this school for the school. Once your a pharmacist you can visit HI anytime you want. Now if your a state resident, lucky you :)

Phoenix,

Thanks for your input and yes, I know Hilo is a city and this pic is not necessarily representative of it :laugh: - I just nabbed it off someone else's website about their travels to Hawaii and Hilo. Where did you end up?

I picked University of Colorado, over UHH and Creighton. Good luck in your application! I heard back from UHH in late mid-january in less than a week (it was 4 days), others didn't hear back in a timely manner though, so mine may or may not be the norm.

Phoenix,

I had the University of Colorado :) on my list at one time until I looked more in depth at the requirements and saw they required biochemistry. They also wouldn't accept my clep credit for English so I had to cut them. I bet it is beautiful there in Colorado!

Kern,
Sasmw,

My stats aren't the highest either but I really feel I'm a well rounded candidate and I hope Hilo or another school will recognize that. My overall GPA is 3.1 (I switched from business to pharmacy my sophomore year so I had to load up on a lot of the pre reqs at the same time - not an excuse, just the reality.) I'm disappointed with my PCAT scores so far (56 & 58) but I'm optimistic I can improve on the October test. Your pharmacy experience and related experience is impressive and should help you stand out as a candidate. I had a hard time finding work in a pharmacy so I volunteered for a summer at a hospital pharmacy. Wish I had time to do more but it is hard when you're trying to finish pre-reqs, a degree, etc. I will graduate with my B.S. in Chemical Science in 12/09.

Don't let your PCAT scores get you down. 50th Percentile means you are the mean, you scored above the 50th Percentile so that means you know more than the average student who took that test. Besides, GPA and PCAT scores get you interviews, you have to sell yourself in the interview to get your seat. I am sure you will do fine.

Last edited:
Wes,

Thanks for the encouragement. Though I've never done an interview of any kind before, I'm going to take them very seriously as I know they can make all the difference!