University of Hawaii at Hilo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Scrubs Fan

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So before, I was excited to apply at this school b/c I thought it would be cool to live in hawaii for a couple of years. But i wanted to see what you people thought about it. i have some reservations about it.

1) first, it's so new
2) they haven't even built their pharmacy building yet
3) they're still hiring profs to teach the curriculum
4) if i apply and get an interview, it would require flying to hawaii and i don't know if i could afford that, esp if i'm hesitant about even going there.

what do you guys think? I'd really love to live in hawaii for a couple of years, meet a cute local girl, and we can eat dole whip and a Spam McGriddle whenever we wanted. But I don't want to do it if i didn't get a good pharmacy education and get screwed.

help :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

go to a fully accredited school if possible.

I called them last tuesday, and the phone was immediately answered.

I proceeded to ask about prereqs since their prepharm program listed two cell bio classes.

The person who answered the phone seemed extremely unprofessional. SHe told me the only person who could answer that question is very busy b/c he is trying very hard to recruit staff. She then gave me his email address.

The school doesn't appear to ready for openning for many reason, and putting apps late is also unusual.

I'd really love to live in hawaii for a couple of years, meet a cute local girl, and we can eat dole whip and a Spam McGriddle whenever we wanted.

Lol, that has got to be one of the funniest things I've read on this board. That'd be great though. Some local chicks are darker than most blacks on the mainland. (Hope that didn't sound racist. blah) Crazy how dark they can get!

But I did some research on the school. There's another thread talking about it with someone who is from Hilo. In my opinion though, since no buildings are even built yet, I'd highly doubt they could get a class together by next year. Unless they shove the inaugral class into a basement for a year. Seems like they are rushing their program, which is never a good idea.

Members don't see this ad :)
In my opinion though, since no buildings are even built yet, I'd highly doubt they could get a class together by next year. Unless they shove the inaugral class into a basement for a year. Seems like they are rushing their program, which is never a good idea.

Just to clarify, i beleive the campus itself has buildings. But in terms of having a building for the actual pharmacy school, i'm not sure. I just saw a map on their website showing the 'proposed location'

go to a fully accredited school if possible.

I called them last tuesday, and the phone was immediately answered.

I proceeded to ask about prereqs since their prepharm program listed two cell bio classes.

The person who answered the phone seemed extremely unprofessional. SHe told me the only person who could answer that question is very busy b/c he is trying very hard to recruit staff. She then gave me his email address.

The school doesn't appear to ready for openning for many reason, and putting apps late is also unusual.

You must have called the Vice Chancellor's office? Anyway, the guy in charge of putting together the staffing, etc. for pharm school, also oversees everything except student housing, the library, the bookstore, and dining. You cuold say he's busy, but he's incredibly nice...and he cares about the school a lot.

so is this school accredited or it has yet to get that status.......the actual pharmacy building is not that important. The university has got wonderful science buildings where pharmacy students can be accomodated. The main thing is the accredition and secondly what are the chances of getting residencies in other states in US. Cos states like Philadelphia, New York, etc have soo many pharmacy schools taht there would be tremendous competition in getting residency....... Im preety sure that more then 60% of students applying there (including myself) just wanna get a pharm D. enjoy the place and get back home..... there would be very few people who are premenantly thinking of moving there........It is also cheaper than other schools...... So if you can get residency at other places and if the education is high enough to clear NAPLEX or some Licensure examionation in canada i think its not that baad........
wat say?

You must have called the Vice Chancellor's office? Anyway, the guy in charge of putting together the staffing, etc. for pharm school, also oversees everything except student housing, the library, the bookstore, and dining. You cuold say he's busy, but he's incredibly nice...and he cares about the school a lot.

I don't know who i called, i called the only number provided on the site and it was answered by some lady.

this was on their website:
"Student with more than one repeat of a course will not be considered. "

Is a class taken after a W considered a repeat??

Also.......is it just me or is their english a little off....shouldn't it be Students?

Seems like they have like one guy doing everything. From my understanding they are saying that one repeat is OK. Just not more than one is not allowed.

so is this school accredited or it has yet to get that status.......the actual pharmacy building is not that important. The university has got wonderful science buildings where pharmacy students can be accomodated. The main thing is the accredition and secondly what are the chances of getting residencies in other states in US. Cos states like Philadelphia, New York, etc have soo many pharmacy schools taht there would be tremendous competition in getting residency....... Im preety sure that more then 60% of students applying there (including myself) just wanna get a pharm D. enjoy the place and get back home..... there would be very few people who are premenantly thinking of moving there........It is also cheaper than other schools...... So if you can get residency at other places and if the education is high enough to clear NAPLEX or some Licensure examionation in canada i think its not that baad........
wat say?

All six of my current teachers here are excellent, I have no reason to believe that the pharmacy school would be any different. I'm guessing that people with ANY prior residency in Hawaii would have a HUGE advantage. They want at least a few people to stay. Besides you save 15,000/yr that way...lol. Like I said earlier, I know that they've gained PRE-ACCREDITATION status... the decision didn't happen that long ago...so it's probably not up on AACP site yet. BTW, you never hear of pre-pharmacy major here...it's more nursing...they have a pretty good nursing program I hear.

BTW #2: I hear this new building will cost a LOT. They will work year round to complete it, as far as I know. Temp always between 75-95, humid as hell, and rains 120+ inches of rain a year, they work through that...they are also currently renovating the library.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL WHO APPLY!

this was on their website:
"Student with more than one repeat of a course will not be considered. "

Is a class taken after a W considered a repeat??

Also.......is it just me or is their english a little off....shouldn't it be Students?

I was thinking the same thing when I saw that part. If they do consider a W as one attempt and the re-enrollment of the same class as a repeat, then they would simply eliminate many prospective applicants.:eek: I have never heard of any school that has the same policy before. Well, I guess they are aiming for the top students...