University of Hawaii at Hilo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

donl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone attended UH at Hilo?

Members don't see this ad.

lots of people have. good question!

a lot of them haven't posted recently, check the pharmacy class subforum. Did you have a specific question? I've been there for an interview and sat in on a class, so I can probably tell you about the campus/city.

Members don't see this ad :)
I`m planning to take a trip in May and visit the school. Since the school is very new, I would like some opinions from former students if possible.

What`s Hilo like?

The reason I ask is because my wife is Japanese, we currently live in Tokyo and plan to move there soon.

Sorry, I should clarify that last statement.

We plan to move to there if I decide that the school is good and if I get accepted into their PharmD program.

However, I need as much information as possible in order to make a sound judgment on their program.

Thanks for replying.

I am interested in some info about UHH also. I've been accepted already and have noticed that not many current students frequent the forum anymore.

Confettiflyer, can you tell me any of your impressions of the program and professors, Pros and cons that you noticed. Or anything I might not have been able to see when I interviewed in Hilo in jan. Unfortunately I didn't get the opportunity to sit in on any of the classes. Although we were able to peak in on the P1's in their classroom :) Thank you.

I attend the COP at UHH.....has it's ups, but mostly downs.
The program is new, but the buildings aren't. A new site is being prepared, 4 modular units will be brought in to begin with (cheapies).

And then there's controversay surrounding a certain asian professor, which I shall not repeat here. (But I can pm you if you like).
Hilo's ok, I work part time at the Yacht Club so I don't have much spare time other than for classes and studying. Such is life. :)

No problem. I was accepted to this school (to be part of their 2nd class, 2012) so I did my research as well. donl, there are currently only about 150-160 students currently enrolled with no alumni since this school opened fall 2007.

I was actually very impressed with the program and its faculty members, they seemed to have done a really good job recruiting outstanding faculty within the US and abroad. Their dean is the former dean of Purdue, and if I recall correctly, some of their faculty include former faculty members of UCSF and Western (Dr. O). I really do have high praises for this school on the academic end, the one class I attended impressed me enough (just know that I'm not an actual student).

Why did I not choose to attend? Sadly, it was actually the city itself and surrounding region that made me decide I did not want to go. Hilo is on the big island and a fantastic/beautiful place with friendly locals...I'm just a city guy at heart and knew the east coast would be a better fit overall. I would definitely come back later to explore, but I couldn't see myself there for 3-4 years. If you love the outdoors and don't mind warm/humid weather, it'd be a great place to be.

The campus is a little...well, run down, but I found it to be charming. The one classroom I sat in was nice/new/modern (plugs at each desk, wide spaces to write, etc..)

If you do get accepted, be sure to spend some time exploring Hilo and the rest of campus. If you interview on the mainland and UH Hilo is a school you're seriously considering, pony up the airfare/hotel and visit. I managed to fold a vacation into my visit. Even if you've been to Hawaii before, especially if your experience was limited to the "tourist thing" in Oahu/Maui, you should check it out.

CortexUSA pm, you`ve got me interested in what you have to say.

I`m not really sure if living in Hawaii would suit me, but since my wife is Japanese I think she may feel more at ease there.

As for the last reply, I`ll definitely make a trip to Hilo to see if I like the area. I live in Tokyo right now, and really look forward to some fresh air, but I`m not sure if living on the big island would suit me.

CortexUSA pm, you`ve got me interested in what you have to say.

I`m not really sure if living in Hawaii would suit me, but since my wife is Japanese I think she may feel more at ease there.

As for the last reply, I`ll definitely make a trip to Hilo to see if I like the area. I live in Tokyo right now, and really look forward to some fresh air, but I`m not sure if living on the big island would suit me.

haha, she'd feel right at home in the tourist spots of waikiki...lots of japanese tourists milling around, and in fact i recall some stores with signs saying they accept yen. but yeah, completely different vibe in hilo.

confetti's right-don't just take my word for it. The campus IS run down. But what really gets me is the "modular" buildings that will be erected for their NEW home. No matter HOW you spruce them up, they are still modular. Not too sure how they squeaked by with them. Must be the ecomony???????:scared:

Last edited:
How are classes conducted and labs? What format are the exams usually? I couldn't find information on the class schedule/curriculum.....could someone give some insight on that? Thanks. :)

Oh one more thing.....are the classes held on the main campus?

How are classes conducted and labs? What format are the exams usually? I couldn't find information on the class schedule/curriculum.....could someone give some insight on that? Thanks. :)

Oh one more thing.....are the classes held on the main campus?
Almost all classes are multiple choice format first year other then pharmaceutical calculations. The class schedule is very nice, it starts at 1 pm everyday and ends anywhere from 3 pm to 5 pm. Classes start at 1 to allow for IPPE rotations and lab which are in the mornings.

Classes are held in the main campus yes.

Can anyone tell me what I might expect during Orientation week? I'm a little nervous as I'm coming from California! :confused:

Can anyone tell me what I might expect during Orientation week? I'm a little nervous as I'm coming from California! :confused:

me too.
I'm thinking of selling my car and buy a new one there since it costs $1500 to ship my car and well, it's a bit old :D

me too.
I'm thinking of selling my car and buy a new one there since it costs $1500 to ship my car and well, it's a bit old :D

hey aFarmD, check out "matson.com"...shipping car from California ports is $1072

hey aFarmD, check out "matson.com"...shipping car from California ports is $1072

that's awesome. Thanks ayiyi.
guess I'm keeping my car :)

Will we be meeting our instructors during orientation week? What are classes like first semester?????:eek:

Will we be meeting our instructors during orientation week? What are classes like first semester?????:eek:
If it's like orientation last year, you won't really be meeting your teachers. You will however meet your academic advisor (a faculty member in the COP) and the dean. It's moreso to get you familiar with the campus and fellow students.

Thanks for the heads up. Can you tell me a little bit aobut the first semester's courses? Difficult? Exams? Instructors? Thanks!:D

If it's like orientation last year, you won't really be meeting your teachers. You will however meet your academic advisor (a faculty member in the COP) and the dean. It's moreso to get you familiar with the campus and fellow students.

can u tell me what type of essay questions were asked during the interview session?

thanks!

I just want to know the financial part of attending and living in Hilo. How did you guys get your loans and how much are you taking out? Is a car necessary and how much are rent for apt near the school? I would love to attend Hilo but the financial part is scaring me a bit:oops: