University of Hawaii, Hilo Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

freshnewkicks

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to start a thread for the new cycle. I just sent in my supplemental application and my PCAT scores should be received soon as well.

Who else is applying here? Post your application status, questions, stats etc. :)

Members don't see this ad.

I actually just had my apps sent over on Monday August 29th! I was just curious how long it took for you to receive your supplemental request as I am already anxious for their email!

I actually just had my apps sent over on Monday August 29th! I was just curious how long it took for you to receive your supplemental request as I am already anxious for their email!

1 day

Members don't see this ad :)

Hi! - My Pharmcas app was sent 8/08 and I received the supplemental request on 8/16. Good luck!

I received my supplemental apps on the 31st! I am answering the questions as I am writing this! Have you received an offer for an interview yet?! :)

Hello all,

I just received my confirmation email for an interview :D Mine will be on October 14th at 9:00am. Does anyone else have that date??

Not sure if they are changing their admission process this year after they got their accreditation, but usually Hilo does closed file interview (they give you and interview first then look at your profile later). I didn't have a chance to fly to Hilo for the interview, but I did hear some not so good comments from current students about how the school doesn't have a permanent building for pharmacy yet and how boring it would be there. As a result I turned down their acceptance, so I would suggest if you can afford a mini vacation, fly to Hilo for the interview: 1. It would look good, since you are more committed to the process. 2. You will be able to see if the school is a good fit for you when the time comes, when you have to decide where to go. Good luck! The interview is pretty chill, but they do ask many questions plus a writing sample. Just relax and don't feel weird when you have to talk to the interviewer in their hotel room lol.

Not sure if they are changing their admission process this year after they got their accreditation, but usually Hilo does closed file interview (they give you and interview first then look at your profile later). I didn't have a chance to fly to Hilo for the interview, but I did hear some not so good comments from current students about how the school doesn't have a permanent building for pharmacy yet and how boring it would be there. As a result I turned down their acceptance, so I would suggest if you can afford a mini vacation, fly to Hilo for the interview: 1. It would look good, since you are more committed to the process. 2. You will be able to see if the school is a good fit for you when the time comes, when you have to decide where to go. Good luck! The interview is pretty chill, but they do ask many questions plus a writing sample. Just relax and don't feel weird when you have to talk to the interviewer in their hotel room lol.

Why are you hating on my school Trong? I want to try and convince students to come here. :laugh:

Aloha everyone,

I am a P1 at UH Hilo. If you have any questions or concerns throughout the application process, please feel free to let me know. I will do my best to answer them. Good luck! :thumbup:

Aloha everyone,

I am a P1 at UH Hilo. If you have any questions or concerns throughout the application process, please feel free to let me know. I will do my best to answer them. Good luck! :thumbup:
You hated it at first too Danny after your interview in Hilo lol. I don't hate UHH; I just didn't have a chance to get to know the campus better. And yeah I saw the trailers/classrooms through live webcam. Very very quaint lol! I love the observatory though. It looks like you are walking on clouds. UNE better gets their accreditation soon or I am gonna jump off their lighthouse. There will be more pharm schools opening in CA too: 15 total in 2015, smh. ACPE is getting tougher I hope.

Last edited:
this school was just fully accredited this year right?

I just added this to my pharmcas. are there essays on the supplemental?

Hello all,

I just received my confirmation email for an interview :D Mine will be on October 14th at 9:00am. Does anyone else have that date??
Congratulations! I haven't received an interview date yet. They confirmed receiving my supplemental on Sept. 2. When did you submit your supplemental?

-Ayuka001
There are a couple essay questions on the supplemental, one asking if you've thought of the ramifications of relocating to hilo and what appeals/concerns you about moving. The other goes a little more in depth and asks how do you think the location of UH-Hilo will influence your educational experience and add to your pharmacy education

Members don't see this ad :)
-Ayuka001
There are a couple essay questions on the supplemental, one asking if you've thought of the ramifications of relocating to hilo and what appeals/concerns you about moving. The other goes a little more in depth and asks how do you think the location of UH-Hilo will influence your educational experience and add to your pharmacy education

thanks!
that actually kinda sounds hard considering i don't know much about the area haha :oops:

are they very strict about the Human Anat and Physiology 1&2 (12 quarter units)?
my school only offers 1 quarter of Human Anat & Phys, not a whole year long.

^^^^ I would definitely email them and make your case. It sound like they'd probably require more though, check out if any nearby community colleges offer those courses. Ya the essays were a bit challenging, just try to look up articles online that talk about why people moved to hawaii and read up on why current students like the area.

Hi everyone! I'm also a P1 at UHH CoP. Talking to pharm students on SDN helped me quite a bit when I was applying, so I'll try to do the same. Good luck!

i just received confirmation from uh hilo that they received my entire app!!! hopefully iʻll get an interview soon!! :) does any previous pharm students that were accepted know what kinds of interview questions are asked!?!?:scared:

i just received confirmation from uh hilo that they received my entire app!!! hopefully iʻll get an interview soon!! :) does any previous pharm students that were accepted know what kinds of interview questions are asked!?!?:scared:

I prepared for my interview by going through the questions from Interview Feedback, and I think that helped me a lot. Just practice answering those and other questions that you think could be relevant. There should be some time left for you to ask questions too, so think about those too. Other than that, just be yourself! Good luck!

My application was complete recently on 9/21. I hope I get an interview as well :D

I got an interview invitation! :D

Congratulations! I am still anxiously waiting!! Can I ask how long after you received a confirmation of your complete application that you got an interview?

Congratulations! I am still anxiously waiting!! Can I ask how long after you received a confirmation of your complete application that you got an interview?

My application was complete on Aug 31st. So I've been waiting a while.

My application was complete on Aug 31st. So I've been waiting a while.

Ahh I see...well I got my confirmation pretty recently so I guess I still have some waiting to do. At least the wait for you paid off though!

I received an interview offer as well! Mine is on December 8th in Las Vegas at 8 a.m.!

nice! I heard the interview in vegas is pretty relaxed

The interview is very laid back. The faculty interviewing you are very friendly and just want to get a better feel for you as a person. Be sure to look at the interview feedback as some of the same questions I saw here on SDN were asked to me in my interview. I also had a short writing sample, so just a heads up for that as well.

As always, if anyone has questions feel free to let me know and I'll do my best to answer them.

Carbond, I see you are from Southern California. What part? Where did you go to undergrad? I'm from Southern California as well.

The interview is very laid back. The faculty interviewing you are very friendly and just want to get a better feel for you as a person. Be sure to look at the interview feedback as some of the same questions I saw here on SDN were asked to me in my interview. I also had a short writing sample, so just a heads up for that as well.

As always, if anyone has questions feel free to let me know and I'll do my best to answer them.

Carbond, I see you are from Southern California. What part? Where did you go to undergrad? I'm from Southern California as well.

I'm from Orange County. Went to UCirvine. How about you? I also believe you are currently a P1?

Hello all,

Congrats! That was fast.

I got an interview invitation! :D

Congrats!

Application on hold. :( Hopefully it's because they haven't received my 99 PCAT score yet. Congratulations to those getting an interview though :)

With that score, you'll probably get an interview invitation in the near future!

I received an interview offer as well! Mine is on December 8th in Las Vegas at 8 a.m.!

Congrats!

-sigh- no interview invitation yet. It has been slightly over a month since I submitted my supplementary supp. I should have not left the comment section of the supplementary app blank. :(

I'm from Orange County. Went to UCirvine. How about you? I also believe you are currently a P1?

Yes, I am currently a P1. I'm originally from the LA area, but attended UCI for undergrad also. There are a few of us from UCI, in my class and the P2 and P3 class. Did you just graduate from UCI? I graduated back in 2009.

Yes, I am currently a P1. I'm originally from the LA area, but attended UCI for undergrad also. There are a few of us from UCI, in my class and the P2 and P3 class. Did you just graduate from UCI? I graduated back in 2009.

wow nice :thumbup: I graduated in 2010.

Aloha everyone,

I love UH-Hilo! Are your classes in cohorts the first year? Do they plan on getting a permanent building soon? (I've been looking at the website and the webcams on the pharm school modular units, and I don't mind them at all. I don't need a fancy building.)

I love Hilo, I love Hawaii! (But I probably wouldn't be able to afford it anyway [insert sobbing here].)

Also, what would you say the average age of your classmates is? Not that you've polled them all, but are there a fair number of non-traditional students/folks in their 20s and 30s?

Just curious.

I love UH-Hilo! Are your classes in cohorts the first year? Do they plan on getting a permanent building soon? (I've been looking at the website and the webcams on the pharm school modular units, and I don't mind them at all. I don't need a fancy building.)

I love Hilo, I love Hawaii! (But I probably wouldn't be able to afford it anyway [insert sobbing here].)

Aloha Elisaveth,

We are in modular classrooms right now. Yes, I know we are planning on building a permanent College of Pharmacy building. I'm just not sure what the timeline for it being completed is. Optimistically, I'd like to think by my P3 or P4 year. I really like it here. Originally being from CA, I thought it'd be a huge adjustment but all of my classmates are really cool so its very easy to hang out with them outside of class. It made the transition much easier for me.

Also, what would you say the average age of your classmates is? Not that you've polled them all, but are there a fair number of non-traditional students/folks in their 20s and 30s?

Just curious.

The age range of our P1 class is very diverse. We have some as young as 20 and a fair number of non-traditional students, but I would say our average age is around 22-26 years old.

DO you need to have pharmcas receive your official PCAT scores before you can submit you application to uhh? If i recall correctly, they only review your application once it's completed.

Thanks

DO you need to have pharmcas receive your official PCAT scores before you can submit you application to uhh? If i recall correctly, they only review your application once it's completed.

Thanks

that is correct. they only review completed apps

I got an interview for LV in December

I have my interview scheduled for December as well in Las Vegas (I happen to live in Las Vegas so that's pretty lucky lol.) I also got an interview for the school in Henderson Nevada in November so I'll probably choose that over Hawaii if I get accepted simply for convenience. Hawaii sounds pretty cool though..

I might see you both in Dec if we're attending the same day. :)

I'm going out for an interview in Hilo on Thurs. Dec 8th. Anyone else?

Hello, I was offered a December interview and I am seriously considering this school. I am just curious about how well equipped the school is? Are there research opportunities? What do you current students think?

PS - I am from UCI too, zot zot! haha

Hello, I was offered a December interview and I am seriously considering this school. I am just curious about how well equipped the school is? Are there research opportunities? What do you current students think?

PS - I am from UCI too, zot zot! haha

Hi fwheel,

Congrats on being offered an interview. The school is still in the process of constructing an actual College of Pharmacy building. We currently have classes in modular classrooms, but these classrooms are well-equipped with 4 large TV screens, speakers on each desk, and projectors. I would say the resources we have in the modular classrooms are comparable to the resources in the lecture halls at UCI. There are research opportunities. In fact, research is the field that most faculty seem to be involved in. As a current student, I like being in Hilo. The city itself is very laid back and not very big so there isn't much to do, but most of the time you are studying or hanging out with classmates so time seems to go by rather quickly. I am enjoying my experience here so far. If you have any other questions, feel free to let me know. Best of luck on your application process! :thumbup:

Any idea how many interview invitation UH-Hilo gives out? Seems like they have a lot of interviews for only about half of their class being out of state residents. Hilo sounds like a really nice place to go to pharmacy school, what was it about the campus that drew you current students to that school over others?

Hi guys,

Does anyone know if the ON-HOLD application means rejection?
My PCAT was not good 47% composite, but they place my application on hold, Is it possible they give me an interview?

Thanks

- GPA : 3.4
- Bachelor's and 3 semesters of pre- req in USA
- National certified pharm Tech with almost 2 years work experience

Do you think that they may give me a chance?