University of Hawaii, Hilo Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
aww thank you :)
what did you end up asking in the email besides what else did you have to do to improve. did you add anything else how you really want to get into pharmacy school or anything?

No, I attended the virtual fair where a P3 I was talking to just told me to email her and ask her what I could do to strengthen my application, so that's all I said. Hope that helps :)

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats to all who made it! I got in too :D

I was going over the matriculation process and ran into this, which I'm not quite sure of what I need to turn in, since I'm a US citizen and I don't have an alien card.

PERMANENT RESIDENTS: Must provide a copy of their permanent resident alien card no later than two weeks from the date of offer.

Any help would be highly appreciated, gotta send in the stuff soon :)

I think it just means a non-U.S. citizen that is permanently living in the United States. It was worded kind of confusing though.

I think it just means a non-U.S. citizen that is permanently living in the United States. It was worded kind of confusing though.

Yea it's probably not applicable to US citizens. i just ignored it.

Members don't see this ad :)
The waiting period is driving me crazy. Anyone from the dec interviews still waiting to hear back?

Has anyone heard about interview invites since their return from break?

Anyone wants to create a facebook group for class of 2016? Send me a pm!

I was sent an interview invite today. They received my full application once they resumed after the winter holidays.:D

Congrats, if you are interviewing at LV, be sure to check with the front desk which room you are assigned to. They have more than one room reseved for interview at different floors.

I am planning on interview in Hilo, I would like to look at the school as well as see some sunshine and greenery.

Good luck! Make sure to check on the interview questions on this site!! They really helped me a lot

Members don't see this ad :)
So, I am going to be applying for Fall 2013 cycle... I am trying to get input on whether or not Hilo would be right for me.

I was hoping that maybe current students here could tell me their thoughts/opinions? Do you like the school? Do you enjoy living in Hilo? Is rent/food/cost of living as high as everyone seems to say or is it possible to live on a moderate budget? Are you pleased with your decision to attend UH Hilo?

Just trying to gather intel...

For those of you who have been accepted, how much is the deposit and how long do you have before you are required to submit it?

For those of you who have been accepted, how much is the deposit and how long do you have before you are required to submit it?

The deposit is $500, and you are given 14 days to pay it, so it has to be postmarked by that day.

They will send you matriculation agreement back with the signature of the dean once they received your documents. I got mine approximately 3 wks after I send it in.

They will send you matriculation agreement back with the signature of the dean once they received your documents. I got mine approximately 3 wks after I send it in.
Do you mind sharing your stats?

Last edited:
Hi Princess,
I have already posted my stats before, it is on the previous page. I had overall gpa of 3.0 with 2.75 and 3.3 in two science majors.

For those of you have been accepted so far, have any of you found a good place to live not too far from campus? I have been reading the previous threads but am not sure about them. Also for anybody that knows more about the area, are there any apartments to steer clear of? Or certain areas of Hilo that are better than others?

There is a section listing student off campus options on the cop website. They are good choice if you want to meet people and make friends first year. I have cats, so my options are limited (probably have to rent a room in someone's house). You can also join the facebook group with the link above, which hiyezz kindly provided. Kristy has been posting a lot of housing options on the facebook wall, which is also a great place to find roommates and housemates.

Links:
http://hilo.hawaii.edu/housing/offcampus/
daylum.com

fb group(thx to hiyezz):
https://www.facebook.com/groups/162039010555648/

Last edited:
There is a section listing student off campus options on the cop website. They are good choice if you want to meet people and make friends first year. I have cats, so my options are limited (probably have to rent a room in someone's house). You can also join the facebook group with the link above, which hiyezz kindly provided. Kristy has been posting a lot of housing options on the facebook wall, which is also a great place to find roommates and housemates.

Links:
http://hilo.hawaii.edu/housing/offcampus/
daylum.com

fb group(thx to hiyezz):
https://www.facebook.com/groups/162039010555648/

Thanks! I have been looking at the housing on the website. I emailed one of the ambassadors and she said that she highly recommends living in the Waikea lagoon view apartments. She said most P1's stay there for their first semester until they meet people and then move out with other students or just stay there. I have been trying to get accepted into the Facebook group but realized my name on there is different than the one I applied with since I just got married, so I had to email Kristy. But thank you for the URL's!

Ya I actually gave them a call today. They accept pet in the apartment, so I will be sending them an application later on this month. It is 690 for 1 bed room, and 895 for 2 bed room. btw congrats on Hawaii acceptance and marriage, you must be super happy right now

Last edited:
Just a heads up...if you are looking for an apartment to live, try to stay clear of Tobhi Hale and Hale Haumana. These two apartment complex is close to school yet is dirty, bugs in places and the manager is mean (both place ran by same manager).

Just a heads up...if you are looking for an apartment to live, try to stay clear of Tobhi Hale and Hale Haumana. These two apartment complex is close to school yet is dirty, bugs in places and the manager is mean (both place ran by same manager).

My friend who's a current pharmacy student there told me that as well. The bugs problem is troublesome especially at night.

Oh dang really? I was just filling out an apartment application for Tobhi Hale...

When are you guys planning to move to Hawaii (for out of state applicants)?

I am planning to visit Hawaii around July to look at the apartment and the school, then I will move to Hawaii around beginning of August. According to the sop website, we have to be on campus on the 13th of August for orientation.

I was just gonna go there beginning of August. I am already looking at places and found a potential. It's hard to find a place since you're not really there, but it's not cheap to fly over there.

Same. I am planning to move out early August. I think I will still try out Tobhi Hale even though there are bugs. If I don't like it, I will move out the next semester. I talked to the manager and she seemed pretty nice.

I will also probably ship my car over, too.

Sorry been MIA, just saw your message from earlier, which Steph??

I live in Hale Haumana (upstairs, though) and don't have any bug problems... only had a gecko once in my room and I think it got in because we left the door open one time. Never had problems with the manager either, she's actually pretty nice to me and my roommates. I would say she's kinda strict, like in a motherly way...? Haha I dont' know.

Congrats to all you guys who got in though!!! And for those who are actually attending, can't wait wait to meet you guys! :)

Sorry been MIA, just saw your message from earlier, which Steph??

I live in Hale Haumana (upstairs, though) and don't have any bug problems... only had a gecko once in my room and I think it got in because we left the door open one time. Never had problems with the manager either, she's actually pretty nice to me and my roommates. I would say she's kinda strict, like in a motherly way...? Haha I dont' know.

Congrats to all you guys who got in though!!! And for those who are actually attending, can't wait wait to meet you guys! :)

Thanks! Are you going to host a welcome party for us? lol

Same. I am planning to move out early August. I think I will still try out Tobhi Hale even though there are bugs. If I don't like it, I will move out the next semester. I talked to the manager and she seemed pretty nice.

I will also probably ship my car over, too.

Which company are you planning to use to ship your car over? I heard some shipping company don't actually leave your car in a container, which is pretty damaging to the car. I'm thinking of horizontal. Might as well put furnitures and books in my car. I also heard you need to get a car check up once you pick up your car, and there is something about getting new car insurance (still not sure, need to check).

I was just gonna go there beginning of August. I am already looking at places and found a potential. It's hard to find a place since you're not really there, but it's not cheap to fly over there.

Ya I agree, but it seems like a lot of places get their tenants oversea. I heard from my friend that the round trip is about $450. I have two cats, so it's going to be $450 x 3 lol.

Just got my interview invite today! I love Hawaii and it's my first school of choice, but am worried about the interview. Never interviewed before, but can anyone give me pointers on what they are looking for?

Just got my interview invite today! I love Hawaii and it's my first school of choice, but am worried about the interview. Never interviewed before, but can anyone give me pointers on what they are looking for?

I think like all the other interviews, they are looking for your communication skill, passion, motivation and other "extra" stuff. I pretty much argued with my interviewer the whole time about the current healthcare situation and the role of pharmacist in it. He doesn't agree on some of my views, but it didn't hurt my interview. Just be honest, cheerful, and comfortable. If this is your first interview, I suggest mock interviews. The interview feedback here at sdn also helps a ton. I used questions posted on youtube for practice lol. Here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFThAZdNQds

btw congrats on your interview invite. Good Luck!

I think like all the other interviews, they are looking for your communication skill, passion, motivation and other "extra" stuff. I pretty much argued with my interviewer the whole time about the current healthcare situation and the role of pharmacist in it. He doesn't agree on some of my views, but it didn't hurt my interview. Just be honest, cheerful, and comfortable. If this is your first interview, I suggest mock interviews. The interview feedback here at sdn also helps a ton. I used questions posted on youtube for practice lol. Here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFThAZdNQds

btw congrats on your interview invite. Good Luck!
Thanks so much for the pointers, kcwang! But I think I will be too nervous to be cheerful and comfortable. I so want to get into UH, so I will start preparing.

Thanks so much for the pointers, kcwang! But I think I will be too nervous to be cheerful and comfortable. I so want to get into UH, so I will start preparing.

The more you practice with strangers, family, or friends, the more confidence you will get. There are couple threads in the prepharm that discuss strategies for interview. Lots of good advices were given, feel free to check them out.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=885245

http://studentdoctor.net/2010/09/interview-advice-what-to-wear-what-to-wear/

http://studentdoctor.net/schools/?view=pharmacy (select pharmacy school in the options)

Good luck!

Hello everyone!

I have an interview next month @ LV. Do we only pick one of essay questions? If so, do they specify how long the essay needs to be? I had an interview MWU and they only required for the essay to be around 100 words. :)

Don't be too worried about the essay. They just want to see if you are proficient in your written communication skills. Note the word: "proficient." Just relax, you dont have to be Shakespeare. My essay was 3/4 of a page (wide ruled) with only one paragraph and i got in. The most common essay questions are like: What is your favorite "plant/fictional character/animal" and why? Unfortunately, you don't get to choose which prompt to write about =( .

Thank you for the response! This is the school I want to attend so I'm a little nervous. I hope I get in. =)

I would if I could. I don't live in a house haha. I'm sure I'll see you guys around soon after you all get here though. I think they had the mentor/mentee potluck thing the first week, so if you wanted one I'll see you guys there

The more you practice with strangers, family, or friends, the more confidence you will get. There are couple threads in the prepharm that discuss strategies for interview. Lots of good advices were given, feel free to check them out.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=885245

http://studentdoctor.net/2010/09/interview-advice-what-to-wear-what-to-wear/

http://studentdoctor.net/schools/?view=pharmacy (select pharmacy school in the options)

Good luck!
Thanks again for the pointers! Really appreciate all your help. Very useful to know.

Tobhi Hale is the older building and they expanded to add Hale Haumana in 2008ish. Hale Haumana is virtually brand new in that aspect and was extremely clean from what I remember, barring any significant decline in the property. Being only a few years old it should be very clean and have a 'mainland feel' to it, compared to some other off campus housing which may be a bit of a shock to people with mainland housing expectations.

In my opinion new pharmacy school members should go to Hale Haumana which generally has a lot of P1 students and is relatively close to campus and a few dining options all walkable - Subway, Thai, Japanese, and 7/11 for miscaneously items. After a semester or two as you meet other classmates sharing a house is the best way to go in my opinion.

I applied to Hilo and my application is on hold. What are my chances of getting in seeing as I havent been rejected yet?:confused:

I applied to Hilo and my application is on hold. What are my chances of getting in seeing as I havent been rejected yet?:confused:
Hello =). I was wondering if you had an interview already.

Hello =). I was wondering if you had an interview already

No I have not had my interview yet. I was just told that my application has been placed on hold just in case seats open up. What are my chances at this point?:confused:

Hello =). I was wondering if you had an interview already

No I have not had my interview yet. I was just told that my application has been placed on hold just in case seats open up. What are my chances at this point?:confused:

Dont want to be the devil's advocate but i think ur chances will purely depend on your stats at this point. In last's year's cycle, they were holding interviews until like April or May.

My application was on hold. I received an interview invite via email yesterday. I believe the school is conducting interviews for a week in Las Vegas. I emailed Kristy for a different date, but she told me that they were only there for that week. Don't give up hope.

Hey, Just got an interview invite as well for vegas. Should be great Going to drive up and make a weekend out of it.

Quick question for you guys. If you start with out of state tuition will you ever get resident? How long would I need to be there to get resident. its almost worth it to move 6 months ahead if thats the case to save half the tuition.

Also are we interviewing for the 4th class so they will received full accredidation next year?

Anyone know where I can find pictures of the actual classroom and campus?

Thanks guys!

There are pictures of the campus and information about the residency process posted on their school's website.

The University of Hawaii at Hilo is fully accredited. (Pharmcas)

Anyone know where I can find pictures of the actual classroom and campus?

Thanks guys!

You should take a look at google earth and "drive" (using the street view) around the place.

Thanks again for the pointers! Really appreciate all your help. Very useful to know.

no problem, let us know how you did in the interview!

I would if I could. I don't live in a house haha. I'm sure I'll see you guys around soon after you all get here though. I think they had the mentor/mentee potluck thing the first week, so if you wanted one I'll see you guys there

haha a party doesnt need to be in a house, just need people! Ya I look forward meeting everyone too.

There are pictures of the campus and information about the residency process posted on their school's website.

The University of Hawaii at Hilo is fully accredited. (Pharmcas)

That is interesting, usually you cannot get residency status while in school (they make sure you have to pay out of state tuition).

Hello all,

Can someone who is from CA or the mainland in general tell me how it is living in Hilo? (Food, transportation, pros, cons, etc)

Thanks! :)