University of Hawaii, Hilo Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can anyone comment on what the school estimates your financial aid at? How much extra does the school give you for cost of living and etc.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

To the people who have interviewed in LV and have decided to attend...

How did you guys know that you wanted to attend the school? I ask only because I usually get most of the information about a school and whether or not I could see myself attending by visiting, talking to current students, etc...How did you guys decide without seeing the school? (And yes I've seen the webcams, but it's not really the same as being there in person!) I have an interview in LV next week and usually come prepared with lots of questions to ask current students, and am just a little uneasy knowing that I won't be able to get a lot of questions answered. Any comments are appreciated....thanks!

I'm going next week too, my interview is on Tuesday. I wish I could go to Hawaii and see the campus so I can get a real feel of the school, otherwise I'm not even sure what questions to ask!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have an interview sunday in LV. Im going back and forth about going to it. The rural type town is throwing me off and the underestimated cost of living for financial aid. They estimated you need 49k to live there, but with moving and rent and tutionalone being 34k..factoring in books and health insurance you only have like 10k to live off of for 9 months. Ive talked to students and you don't get your pharmacy intern licensed until the end of the first year. I was told, there a little internship positions because there is limited pharmacies and lots of competition to land an internship. There are no cadavers for the anatomy lab, its all simulated.

The only positive thing I got out of it is that its hawaii, the labs are new this year, the campus actually isn't too bad. The temp classroom units have charging ports for laptops. The school tests are all multiple choice except for math sections and graphing.

I'm waiting for the financial aid to get back to me. I know I"ll need more than 10k to live. I personally don't want roomates so I gotta find a way to see if grad plus loans can be increased. Taking out a private loan is something I don't want to do. Anyone know anything about getting an increase in grad plus loans beyond the school estimated cost?

Oh..on obtaining residency, I looked into it more. You need to live there for a year and take less than 6 units during that time. So if your purpose is going there for school, wed be taking more than 6 units during that whole time. We would not ever be eligible for residency .

I just submitted my app and was scheduled to interview soon. I share the same concerns. To be completely honest, the biggest thing holding me back is the size of the town and leaving loved ones behind.

With regards to financial aid, do any of you know if UH hilo gives out (aka cost of living loans) stipends to their pharm students cuz i know some pharm schools do that? All i see are Dollar signs when i think of uh hilo. I just submitted my fafsa 3 weeks ago and still haven't heard anything :/ For those of you interviewing, i think ur chances are pretty good. so far there are only 22 members on the "Uh Hilo CoP c/o 2016" Facebook page. Of those 22 i believe 4 are admins.

I have emailed the financial aid to get more of a grasp about going to their school. They estimate 49k for tuition and cost of living. From what I understand your financial need is = Their estimated tuition and cost of living - your EFC. From what it sounds like from their financial aid office, you can get this much in federal loans. 20,500 from the unsubsidized and then the rest up to 49k- EFC would be grad plus. I have not received an answer obtaining loans passed the 49k. I am at the point where I will not be going to the interview because their school underestimate what is needed to live. Esp if tuition is 36k.

I have emailed the financial aid to get more of a grasp about going to their school. They estimate 49k for tuition and cost of living. From what I understand your financial need is = Their estimated tuition and cost of living - your EFC. From what it sounds like from their financial aid office, you can get this much in federal loans. 20,500 from the unsubsidized and then the rest up to 49k- EFC would be grad plus. I have not received an answer obtaining loans passed the 49k. I am at the point where I will not be going to the interview because their school underestimate what is needed to live. Esp if tuition is 36k.

Whoa!!! If tuition alone is 36k, that gives only 13k for housing/food/etc... YIKES!!! I guess we're expect to east ramen noodles for 9 months.

Yea. I've decided not to go to the interview. I hope this opened up a spot for someone else. Goodluck to you all! school is too expensive and not enough money to get me through it esp with moving back and forth at the beginning and end of every year.

I decided to pass on the interview as well. The costs of living in Hilo are extremely prohibitive with tuition at $36k/yr. I would have loved to attended UH Hilo, but there are too many costly factors. The cost of living and the lack of available internships makes this a tough go for people with no additional financial assistance like myself. The city is beautiful and to live there would have been an amazing experience. In the end, it's a dream that made no practical sense.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that for the people who decide not to go to the interview. Personally I can live pretty well off 10k a year on food, and some pharmacy schools' tuition on the mainland cost probably the same amount. The town is very rural, but that is not a huge factor in my decision. I do hear complains about rotation sites from couple students like it is inconvenience to go to different island for rotations, also the internship position that drew0010 had mentioned. The food there sucks compare to where I live. (Sorry, there is no place in US that can beat the mexican food here at SD)

However, comparing its curriculum, enviroment, the local, faculty etc.. with other schools, I have to say you will not find an unique experience like Hawaii anywhere in the mainland. I guess it depends on what you want to make of your time in U of H, personally I can accomplish more personal goals by attending U of H.

To the people who is attending, I look forward meeting you all! I am quite excited going there for school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry to hear that for the people who decide not to go to the interview. Personally I can live pretty well off 10k a year on food, and some pharmacy schools' tuition on the mainland cost probably the same amount. The town is very rural, but that is not a huge factor in my decision. I do hear complains about rotation sites from couple students like it is inconvenience to go to different island for rotations, also the internship position that drew0010 had mentioned. The food there sucks compare to where I live. (Sorry, there is no place in US that can beat the mexican food here at SD)

However, comparing its curriculum, enviroment, the local, faculty etc.. with other schools, I have to say you will not find an unique experience like Hawaii anywhere in the mainland. I guess it depends on what you want to make of your time in U of H, personally I can accomplish more personal goals by attending U of H.

To the people who is attending, I look forward meeting you all! I am quite excited going there for school.

Hi Kwang,

If you wouldn't mind, would you message me your contact information? I would like to ask you some questions. Hawaii has stated they will interview me in the event I change my mind.

49K in loans - 36K tution - 6.5k minimum rent leaves around $650/mo for books,food, insurance, electricity, water, gas, entertainment, internet and cell. A local school here offers around $70k/yr with a far lower cost of living.

Cost is a HUGE determinant for me as well. I know I can live within my means, but at the same time, I don't want to be constantly stressed out about finances.

I've still decided to keep my interview for next Tuesday, because I want to get all the information I can before I make a decision. Even though the cost is much higher than other schools I would attend, there's just something about Hawaii that draws me in. The people I've talked to from the school seem like some of the nicest and most genuine people and they've told me their whole class dynamic is very tight knit as well.

Looking forward to meeting some people next week! Not looking forward to interviewing in a hotel room haha.

Hi Kwang,

If you wouldn't mind, would you message me your contact information? I would like to ask you some questions. Hawaii has stated they will interview me in the event I change my mind.

49K in loans - 36K tution - 6.5k minimum rent leaves around $650/mo for books,food, insurance, electricity, water, gas, entertainment, internet and cell. A local school here offers around $70k/yr with a far lower cost of living.

Business2Pharm, you are welcome to pm me anytime.

$650/ month is not going to be enough to cover what you listed, but I am planning to take part time job while in school. I also have worked for 2 years after college to save up money for pharm school expensive. I don't think you need to get any book, most of lectures are provided online. Also a lot of places cover utilities for the apartment as part of the rent. I am going to rent a house possibily in my second year to bring down the cost of living down. Entertainment? like movies and shopping mall ? Not in Hilo lol. The only entertainment you will get is probably hanging out with friends and walking to see volcanoes and waterfall. You will probably be studying most of the time.

I also agree with kmn912, the friendly people there is one reason for my decision to go. The dean also seems very ambitious (http://pharmacy.uhh.hawaii.edu/dean/meet_the_dean.php)

As for the internship, I think you need to start making connection in your local area now, because you will likely do your summer intern back at mainland.

kcwang, when you went for your interview, did they tell you when the permanent pharmacy building was expected to be built? The drawings on the website are really impressive!

No I didn't ask them, but I will try asking it for you on the school fb page lol

People seem to very concerned about costs, I was able to life comfortably on $45k a year, tuition was $34k of this. You can find good housing (with roommates) for $450/month and grocery shopping for 2 weeks was under $120. I guess it will depend on your lifestyle, if you like to live lavishly and want student loans to pay entirely for your lavish living it won't work no...

Maybe it's a matter of opinion, but I didn't expect student loans to pay for my cell phone, medical insurance, etc. However, if you are heading into college with no personal savings I suppose your concerns are validated. Most people I would expect to have summer jobs or a slight helping hand from parents to supplement loans in which case financials are very manageable.

In regards to books, I wouldn't purchase any of them ahead of time, I don't believe any were absolutely required though they can make studying easier. In nearly all classes you are only responsible for the powerpoint slides provided for lecture.

I'm having my interview next week in LV on the 25th. Hope to see some future classmates there :xf:. kcwang, y u no reply to my fb message?!:annoyed:

I'm having my interview next week in LV on the 25th. Hope to see some future classmates there :xf:. kcwang, y u no reply to my fb message?!:annoyed:

Sorry Oaksen, but I just check my fb msg and I didn't receive anything. It is easier to reach me through sdn or my email. I don't normally check fb or sdn till im at work (lol).

I work from 7 to 5 pm and class from 6 to 10 pm, so normally msg after 6 will be checked the next day. Good luck on your interview!!

Hi everyone! I wanted to get someone's opinion whether or not I have a chance of getting in. I have 3.23 science gpa and 3.27 overall. My PCAT score wasn't that good, I got 64. I don't have a Bachelor's but I have 6 years experience in the pharmacy.

Last edited:
Hi everyone! I wanted to get someone's opinion whether or not I have a chance of getting in. I have 3.23 science gpa and 3.27 overall. My PCAT score wasn't that good, I got 64. I don't have a Bachelor's but I have 6 years experience in the pharmacy.

I had similar stats, except with a slightly higher GPA. I dont have a BS degree, just prereqs and i got in. You are obviously interview worthy so just give it a try! I have seen other with lower stats that got in. Dont lose hope!:)

Agree with Chris11792. By all means, give it a try. I had a lower GPA (3.0) and I got in. Of course, I had tons of experiences to make up for it, and my LORs also play a significant role in my acceptance.

Agree with Chris11792. By all means, give it a try. I had a lower GPA (3.0) and I got in. Of course, I had tons of experiences to make up for it, and my LORs also play a significant role in my acceptance.
Thanks for both your inputs. I had my interview already. It seemed that my interview was quick and I feel that I could have done better. I guess it's a waiting for now.

Thanks for both your inputs. I had my interview already. It seemed that my interview was quick and I feel that I could have done better. I guess it's a waiting for now.

The wait period took around 2 weeks for me. Good luck!

I just had my interview also and my wait time is 2 weeks also! ft86, who was your interviewer? How did it go? I had Dr. Batz.

those that also just had their interview, let us know when you get an email response so we know when to start anticipating it :)

Hey everyone...Anyone know how many seats they have left? I'm a Hawaii resident and I interview on Friday. Pretty nervous...Hopefully I can get in.

I just had my interview also and my wait time is 2 weeks also! ft86, who was your interviewer? How did it go? I had Dr. Batz.

those that also just had their interview, let us know when you get an email response so we know when to start anticipating it :)
Hey Passiontea. I had Dr. Jarvis that interviewed me. She was really nice. I wish the my interview would have gone a little smoother. For some reason I forgot to mention all my experience in the pharmacy. Also, I got sick a few weeks before the interiview and the cough was just lingering. During the interview I had the urgency to cough. Although I did not cough thanks to the cough suppressant, the volume of my voice was really low. How was your interview?

Last edited:
Hey everyone...Anyone know how many seats they have left? I'm a Hawaii resident and I interview on Friday. Pretty nervous...Hopefully I can get in.
I'm nervous too. I hope there's plenty of seats remaining for us.

Hi PerchiN. Do you live at Hilo? If so, how's the town like from a perspective of a resident?

Don't be nervous about the interview. It's a relaxed interview. Good luck PerchiN!

Sorry I don't live in Hilo, but I'm from Maui. My guess is that it's really country. Really laid back and relaxing. No tall buildings or sky scrapers. Pretty similar to Kauai if you've been there (are you also from Hawaii?)

Feel free to PM me with other questions about Hawaii...how was the writing section?

Sorry I don't live in Hilo, but I'm from Maui. My guess is that it's really country. Really laid back and relaxing. No tall buildings or sky scrapers. Pretty similar to Kauai if you've been there (are you also from Hawaii?)

Feel free to PM me with other questions about Hawaii...how was the writing section?

Good luck with your interview :)! I interviewed back in Dec with Edward Fisher in Las Vegas and was accepted 2 weeks later! From experience I can say that the interview really isn't that bad at all, just go through the interview feedback (most will be the same). Just be yourself and know why the school and pharmacy is for you. Writing section is pretty simple and general. Mine asked what I expected from myself and my teachers in a professional setting.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions about the interview!

ft86, I feel like my interview went okay also. I was nervous and forgot to say the key points in why I wanted to go to Hilo. I also stumbled on my words a little. I wish i could do it over :( O, well, its just a waiting game now..

If we called in, you think kristy would tell us how many seats are left? Im thinking they already accepted around half, so 45ish students. This is because last year around this time, that was how many they had accepted.

The essay was short and simple. They will give you a piece of paper with the question that takes up almost a quarter of the page. The remainder of the page has wide ruled lines for you to write on. I would review the questions that are posted on page one and forward. I think that would prepare you for both the essay and interview. Just be yourself and don't forget to say key points you want to say on the interview.

ft86, I feel like my interview went okay also. I was nervous and forgot to say the key points in why I wanted to go to Hilo. I also stumbled on my words a little. I wish i could do it over :( O, well, its just a waiting game now..

If we called in, you think kristy would tell us how many seats are left? Im thinking they already accepted around half, so 45ish students. This is because last year around this time, that was how many they had accepted.

I don't think Kristy would mind if we called and asked or even email her about the remaining seats. I think that would make me more nervous knowing that there would only be a few seats remaining.:scared: I'm think I'm just going to wait for two weeks.

Let me know if you hear back from school.:)

ft86 I also had Dr. Jarvi yesterday and I am also sick. She was very nice about it... I wonder how she is feeling today after dealing with us? She was really nice but since I was so doped on meds I feel like I wasn't very clear on why I chose pharmacy. i have definitely had better interviews. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I don't think they mind about the "sick" part as long you are polite about it. I was also sick on my interviewing day (seriously is there a curse for LV interview?!?). I had to stand on the opposite end of the hallway to cough and blow my nose while waiting for my turn. My interviewer still can hear me, and he jokingly told me "be careful not to spread those germs around".

Good Luck to all you people =]

Also had my interview yesterday with Dr. Jarvi and I definitely stumbled on some of the questions (just not used to THAT many situational type questions). But honestly if we sounded perfect for every question, it definitely would not come across as genuine and would appear like everything was rehearsed. She was definitely really nice though and the interview was actually more like a conversation instead of her just grilling me. I thought it was kinda funny that the folder they gave us was more like a vacation brochure! Good luck to everyone :)

ft86 I also had Dr. Jarvi yesterday and I am also sick. She was very nice about it... I wonder how she is feeling today after dealing with us? She was really nice but since I was so doped on meds I feel like I wasn't very clear on why I chose pharmacy. i have definitely had better interviews. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I hope she's feeling better too. She was so nice, she even offered cough drops that she had.

Good luck to everyone!

Hey does anyone know if there is a thread about how you should look for the interview? I usually buzz cut my hair and I'm not too sure if that's considered inappropriate? Might sound like a dumb question haha. My mom thinks it looks bad but it's how i like to keep my hair.

Thanks, if anyone is interviewing on Friday, hopefully we can talk story and stuff :)

Hey does anyone know if there is a thread about how you should look for the interview? I usually buzz cut my hair and I'm not too sure if that's considered inappropriate? Might sound like a dumb question haha. My mom thinks it looks bad but it's how i like to keep my hair.

Thanks, if anyone is interviewing on Friday, hopefully we can talk story and stuff :)

Toward the end of this thread
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=885245

I was wondering what should be done about hair/dress in the interviews. I understand that you want to look sharp and neat, so suit and tie is probably the best option. However, for my hair is it acceptable to spike my hair up a bit? Or is that considered unprofessional and should I leave it down.

Thank you!

I'll be honest, if I was interviewing someone with spiky hair, it would be hard for me to take them seriously. I associate spiked hair with teenagers, punks, clubbing, skaters, etc. You don't want to appear childish. Maturity is something you would probably want to convey in your interview. Of course, opinions will vary, but should I ever become faculty one day that interviews students, any ostentatious hair styles or clothing would be a turn off. First impressions are important!

http://studentdoctor.net/2010/09/interview-advice-what-to-wear-what-to-wear/

short answer: As long it is professional and nice looking. I seen spiky hair at interview (the nice and modest one), and I didn't see any negative reactions from the adcom.

You can always take pic of yourself and blurr out the face, and sdn ppl will tell you yes or no.

I don't think Kristy would mind if we called and asked or even email her about the remaining seats. I think that would make me more nervous knowing that there would only be a few seats remaining.:scared: I'm think I'm just going to wait for two weeks.

Let me know if you hear back from school.:)

So far the Facebook page for the class of 2016 has about 22 members. Of course, this is assuming that all the accepted students have been added. And i dont think kristy would mind if someone were to ask. Good luck on all your interviews! I couldnt sleep while waiting for my acceptance letter. Take it easy everyone =)

The writing section is pretty laid back, so i think its nothing to worry about. They just want to see if u are proficient in ur writting skills. Note the word "proficient," so you dont have to be Shakespeare or Henry D thoreau. Like someone previously said, they give 30 mins and ~1/4 page wideruled. Most of the essay q's are similar to the other schools:
-If u were a "insert noun here" what would be and why?
-What is ur most "embarrassing, ridiculous, scary, etc..."
I honestly dont know how i can emphasize it enough that the writing section is really nothing to worry about. I am myself a terrible writer but made it in.

So far the Facebook page for the class of 2016 has about 22 members. Of course, this is assuming that all the accepted students have been added. And i dont think kristy would mind if someone were to ask. Good luck on all your interviews! I couldnt sleep while waiting for my acceptance letter. Take it easy everyone =)

and it is too quiet in the fb group. We need more ppl in there to liven things up.

does anyone else feel like they did poorly in their interview this week? i hope i'm not the only one.
also, does anyone know any other methods to gaining residency? they said even if i purchased a home i likely wouldn't gain residency. 36k/year - 144k total seems pretty steep when compared to residence that only end up with 64k in tuition...

Hey everyone...

Had my interview today in Hilo. I thought it was really really laid back....more like a conversation. My interviewer asked me mostly hypothetical questions. I thought I did really well...hopefully I get in!

Beef: I'm guessing you interviewed in LV? They people in Hilo were SUPER friendly...blew my mind how the hospitality was. Can't wait for that email :) Crossing my fingers