University of Hawaii, Hilo Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have recently been wait listed and from reading some of these post I am losing hope. Does anyone know about how many people from the past have been accepted from the wait list? I talked to Kristy and she said that they have sent out rejection emails to applicants. It just seems being on the wait list is a nicer way of saying rejected. I am trying to stay positive but this whole process has become frustrating. Sounds like Vegas was the wrong place to interview...

Members don't see this ad.

I have recently been wait listed and from reading some of these post I am losing hope. Does anyone know about how many people from the past have been accepted from the wait list? I talked to Kristy and she said that they have sent out rejection emails to applicants. It just seems being on the wait list is a nicer way of saying rejected. I am trying to stay positive but this whole process has become frustrating. Sounds like Vegas was the wrong place to interview...

I wouldn't say that. It is just that you are in the late part of the game, and it only gets tougher. I submitted my application early last year when there are still a lot of open seats. As I mentioned before, you are fighting the remaining few seats with other competitive students. Getting put on the wait list/alternative list does not mean you dont have good enough application or wrong interview location. Also I heard that the interviewer doesn't make the decision. The adcom makes the decision after reading over the notes from the interviewer together with your application. I interviewed at LV, and I got accepted. IMO, you wont hear anything until they finish reviewing everyone on the alternative lists. Dont lose hope and good luck!

I interviewed in Las Vegas and was accepted as well. I know classmates that got in after being on the wait list last year, so don't count yourself out yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got accepted into Hawaii!! I'm ecstatic as this is my first school of choice! However some of my family and friends are trying to convince me to go to another school I got into. They say Hawaii doesn't have a good lab yet and may have limited career opportunities? Also, does anyone know about rotations in neighbor islands? Is it easy to find a temporary place to stay while doing your rotations? Can anyone who is attending the school now please tell me anything about this school, including how they like the school and its program? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

There are lab opportunities here and currently there are many rotation spots across the islands. In terms of career opportunities, it continues to become more difficult to secure a job as a pharmacist right out of school depending upon how picky you are with your location. Hawaii in particular has a very impacted job market for pharmacists, but it's not to say it can't be done or that your degree will be less useful should you choose to pursue a job on the mainland.

In regards to the school I think it is top notch. Our dean left the #2 ranked Purdue to start up the school of pharmacy in Hilo, Hawaii and I feel the faculty do a great job of being teaching and making themselves accessible to students. A big challenge for many people who come here will be getting used to the island life and living in a small town, particularly if you come from a major city or love the night life. Hope this answers some of your questions, and to those who have been accepted, congratulations and I look forward to meeting you all this fall =)

Don't lose hope, it's not over until the class starts in August. I was interviewed in December and then put on the alt list but then I got accepted just last friday this month. It's a constant review process from what I understand and the admissions committee is reviewing all alt listed applications on a regular basis. I used to think that too about the alt list being a nicer way of rejecting you but apparently I was wrong as I did get in for this fall. If Kristy said that they actually do send out rejection emails then being on the alt list must be a positive thing right? It means you're still in the game!! Hang in there and good luck:luck:

I was accepted on 3/2, but just declined my offer of admission in favor of the University of Cincinnati, so one spot just opened up for someone. For what it's worth, my interviewer in Las Vegas said that their admissions list is constantly in flux, and that they actually have a fair number of people withdraw if they get offered in-state tuition somewhere else, so for those who are on the waitlist and Hawaii is your number one choice, you should not give up hope. Best of luck to everyone!

Don't lose hope, it's not over until the class starts in August. I was interviewed in December and then put on the alt list but then I got accepted just last friday this month. It's a constant review process from what I understand and the admissions committee is reviewing all alt listed applications on a regular basis. I used to think that too about the alt list being a nicer way of rejecting you but apparently I was wrong as I did get in for this fall. If Kristy said that they actually do send out rejection emails then being on the alt list must be a positive thing right? It means you're still in the game!! Hang in there and good luck:luck:

Thank you for the words of encouragement. I am staying positive as you never know what might happen. :)

There are lab opportunities here and currently there are many rotation spots across the islands. In terms of career opportunities, it continues to become more difficult to secure a job as a pharmacist right out of school depending upon how picky you are with your location. Hawaii in particular has a very impacted job market for pharmacists, but it's not to say it can't be done or that your degree will be less useful should you choose to pursue a job on the mainland.

In regards to the school I think it is top notch. Our dean left the #2 ranked Purdue to start up the school of pharmacy in Hilo, Hawaii and I feel the faculty do a great job of being teaching and making themselves accessible to students. A big challenge for many people who come here will be getting used to the island life and living in a small town, particularly if you come from a major city or love the night life. Hope this answers some of your questions, and to those who have been accepted, congratulations and I look forward to meeting you all this fall =)
Thank you very much for getting back to me. Hawaii sounds like a wonderful place, but after much thought I am declining the offer in favor or a more affordable school in my home state. Best of luck to all that want to get in! I know you won't be disappointed going to Hawaii.

Also, today was the last day for those who got accepted on 3/2 to turn in their matriculation documents so I'm sure some open seats will pop up in the next couple days since there had to be some people who declined their acceptance....There's still hope!

Most pharmacy schools operate like this. Usually the ratio of interview to acceptance is 2:1 or 3:1, which is pretty common. I actually prefer the alternative list as opposed to straghit up rejection. At least you get a chance with the alternative list. If you don't hear back from them May and June, you should just go with other schools.

It sounds weird to me that they would accept people a week before the class (do they actually do that?). I wonder how these people would get all the required documents ready, because the dead line is suppose to be June.

I guess the alternative list is great for someone who has family there, and don't mind waiting to the last second for acceptance. I would give school a final call or email around May to double check your status. Good Luck!

When I went to Hilo for my interview, one of the student ambassadors told me that a student in their class was accepted the week before school started and actually flew in the day of orientation so yes they do accept people right before the first day of class.

When I went to Hilo for my interview, one of the student ambassadors told me that a student in their class was accepted the week before school started and actually flew in the day of orientation so yes they do accept people right before the first day of class.

Kristy also told me that Hawaii accepted people up to the day before school started, so alternates are supposed to keep her updated on everything as long as they are interested

That is great for the student who decide to join at the last minuate.

Btw, anyone knows good place to get used car at hilo? I am still debating if I should ship my car over or just get a used car. Pro of shipping car over: I can load furnitures, books and blanket on the car maybe even a protable air conditioner. Con: I have no car if I went home over break, the cost of shipping vs buying a used car, dmv.

Btw, anyone knows good place to get used car at hilo? I am still debating if I should ship my car over or just get a used car. Pro of shipping car over: I can load furnitures, books and blanket on the car maybe even a protable air conditioner. Con: I have no car if I went home over break, the cost of shipping vs buying a used car, dmv.

Aloha kcwang,

There really aren't any good places to get used cars here in Hilo (or at least any I have seen or heard of). Most students ship their cars over, whether it be from other islands or the mainland. Considering you will be in Hilo 8-9 months of the year, I don't think having a car at home should be too big of a concern. That's just my two cents though. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)

My family and i moved to Honolulu a few years from Portland, Oregon. Initially, we thought we could load our belongings into our cars and ship them; unfortunately, for stupid safety reasons, our cars had to be completely empty (removable cup holders included -.-). I'm not sure if they changed the policy in our area. Just a heads up =) As for getting a car in hilo, i wouldn't recommend it. There arent very many dealerships in hilo. What the locals do in hilo is that they buy their cars in Honolulu, as there are over a dozen dealerships there, and ship them from honolulu to hilo (should cost ~ 500 $ and takes 3-5 business weeks). I think that shipping a car from the west coast costs about 1000$.

My family and i moved to Honolulu a few years from Portland, Oregon. Initially, we thought we could load our belongings into our cars and ship them; unfortunately, for stupid safety reasons, our cars had to be completely empty (removable cup holders included -.-). I'm not sure if they changed the policy in our area. Just a heads up =) As for getting a car in hilo, i wouldn't recommend it. There arent very many dealerships in hilo. What the locals do in hilo is that they buy their cars in Honolulu, as there are over a dozen dealerships there, and ship them from honolulu to hilo (should cost ~ 500 $ and takes 3-5 business weeks). I think that shipping a car from the west coast costs about 1000$.

3-5 business weeks or days? I think it only takes a few days to ship interisland right? Or did you mean that's how long it takes to ship to Hilo from the mainland?

Aloha kcwang,

There really aren't any good places to get used cars here in Hilo (or at least any I have seen or heard of). Most students ship their cars over, whether it be from other islands or the mainland. Considering you will be in Hilo 8-9 months of the year, I don't think having a car at home should be too big of a concern. That's just my two cents though. :laugh:

Ya, I was calculating the cost for shipping car to Hilo and back to mainland, which cost around $2000. Wouldnt it be better if I just buy a used car and sell it when I leave Hilo? I guess I might have to ship my car over =\.

I heard of that. It depends on which company. I was thinking of using Horizon, because they actually put your car in a container (I cannot imaging leaving the car on the deck for 3 weeks with all the moist and wind). I will have to double check with them. Thanks for the headup! Didn't know it cost $500 from other island :eek:. Btw, when should I contact the shipping company? A month ahead?

3-5 business weeks or days? I think it only takes a few days to ship interisland right? Or did you mean that's how long it takes to ship to Hilo from the mainland?

Weeks from mainland to Hilo.Within a week after you pick up your car, you need to do a safety check and register with dmv (still not sure of the dmv process, have to double check that).

Weeks from mainland to Hilo.Within a week after you pick up your car, you need to do a safety check and register with dmv (still not sure of the dmv process, have to double check that).[/QUOTE]

Hey. As far as I know Hawaii county is no different than Honolulu county on Oahu which is where I'm from. When your car arrives you will need to get the safety check done first. Most gas stations (with service departments), auto dealerships, and garages do them so finding somewhere shouldn't be a problem. Price on Oahu is about $15 w/o tint and about $20 w/tint (FYI depending on where you're coming from the tint law in Hawaii is 35% all windows except windshield on sedans. Trucks and SUV's can have darker tint on all the back windows but the driver/passenger front doors have to be 35% max, no windshield.) After that you can fill out the registration form which you can get online, take that, the safety check, current out of state registration, title, and the shipping documents to the dmv and you can register your car. As far as I know, registration over there is also the same as here and it's based off of weight and not value so if you have two cars for example and they both weigh the same, one is only worth $1000 and the other is brand new at $30000, registration is pretty much the same!! Anyway here is the link for the dmv in Hawaii county
http://www.hawaiicounty.gov/finance-vrl-general-info#Non-Hawaii Registered Vehicle
Hopefully that helps you guys a little.

Also, you have up to 30 days from when your car arrives in Hilo to complete the registration process.:thumbup:

Hey. As far as I know Hawaii county is no different than Honolulu county on Oahu which is where I'm from. When your car arrives you will need to get the safety check done first. Most gas stations (with service departments), auto dealerships, and garages do them so finding somewhere shouldn't be a problem. Price on Oahu is about $15 w/o tint and about $20 w/tint (FYI depending on where you're coming from the tint law in Hawaii is 35% all windows except windshield on sedans. Trucks and SUV's can have darker tint on all the back windows but the driver/passenger front doors have to be 35% max, no windshield.) After that you can fill out the registration form which you can get online, take that, the safety check, current out of state registration, title, and the shipping documents to the dmv and you can register your car. As far as I know, registration over there is also the same as here and it's based off of weight and not value so if you have two cars for example and they both weigh the same, one is only worth $1000 and the other is brand new at $30000, registration is pretty much the same!! Anyway here is the link for the dmv in Hawaii county
http://www.hawaiicounty.gov/finance-vrl-general-info#Non-Hawaii Registered Vehicle
Hopefully that helps you guys a little.

Thank You. That is a useful information for people who are shipping their car over. :thumbup:

So, I know hawaii is hot and humid. How bad does it get? Do I need to bring a portable ac? Because I cannot study in a hot and humid day.

It does get humid but temperature wise not much above 80. Air conditoners are actually pretty rare in home/apartments, far more people do not own one. I guess it would depend how sensitive you are to heat/humidity but most people get along fine with just a fan.

http://www.nabp.net/programs/assets/NAPLEX passing rates.pdf

80%...just wondering what everyone's thought is on that? =/ Should we be worried...?

Honestly, that is one of the statistics that did concern me a little. However, it is only based on their first graduating class. So while I think it is important to look at, it doesn't necessarily reflect any adjustments/improvements that they are most likely trying to make as the program develops. On top of that, I think that as long as we take personal responsibility for preparing ourselves we can avoid being in the failing percentage.

I wouldn't be too concerned, with the inaugural class there was literally around 200 applicants for 90 spots...a lot of people got in that should not have. Today they get over 1500 applications and those attending are truly worthy.

I wouldn't be too concerned, with the inaugural class there was literally around 200 applicants for 90 spots...a lot of people got in that should not have. Today they get over 1500 applications and those attending are truly worthy.

That number is shocking, no wonder spots are so hard to get. Just hope they'll be more people declining than accepting. Last year had waitlisters waiting 15 days until some got accepted. I wonder if it'd be the same for us...3/20?

Last edited:
We better increase it to 100%!!! The challenge is on!

I believe if we all help each other and study hard together, getting 100% will be a piece of cake

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankings...alth-schools/university-of-hawaii-hilo-141565

Ranked number #74 after barely having our accredidation for one year. There are schools that have been around for much longer and didn't make the top #100

That ranking system is really misleading, but I'm glad we are recognized.

"All the health rankings are based solely on the results of peer assessment surveys sent to deans, other administrators, and/or faculty at accredited degree programs or schools in each discipline. All schools surveyed in a discipline were sent the same number of surveys. Respondents rated the academic quality of programs on a scale of 1 (marginal) to 5 (outstanding). "

has anyone contacted kristy and know the next time they will pull people off the waitlist? i'm sure the next round of interviews are coming up shortly as well.

can anyone offer advice to us waitlisters? i think the application process has made me OCD!.... i seriously cant stop checking my email and sdn!! not much chatter going on here though...

Last edited:
has anyone contacted kristy and know the next time they will pull people off the waitlist? i'm sure the next round of interviews are coming up shortly as well. btw the UHH class of 2016 only has 33 members so far (some are adcoms).

can anyone offer advice to us waitlisters? i think the application process has made me OCD!.... i seriously cant stop checking my email and sdn!! not much chatter going on here though...

Don't give up. As I mentioned before, the best thing you can do is continue to update and improve your application. Keep up with any EC, work, research experience and classes. Give Kristy updates on what you are doing or what you will be doing. As for the facebook page, dont assume that everyone joined the group. I suspect there are much more people who were offered seat than ~ 30 ppl. I didn't even know a facebook group exisited until someone told me.

Good Luck!

Don't give up. As I mentioned before, the best thing you can do is continue to update and improve your application. Keep up with any EC, work, research experience and classes. Give Kristy updates on what you are doing or what you will be doing. As for the facebook page, dont assume that everyone joined the group. I suspect there are much more people who were offered seat than ~ 30 ppl. I didn't even know a facebook group exisited until someone told me.

Good Luck!
thank you for the reply and positive feedback!
congrats on making it in :)

Hi to all who got accepted to the class of 2016. First i would like to congratulate us all. I was thinking to attend the UHH CoP but I heard from one of my friend's friend from class of 2014 that the funding for the UHH College of Pharmacy (CoP) building was not included in the state budget that was approved by the Hawaii House of Representatives and the main issue the ACPE had with the CoP last time was the facilities and the UHH CoP promised the ACPE that they will fix that before 2013 and thats how they got their first accreditation in june.There are 30 criteria that the ACPE uses to review any CoP and #27 is a review of the physical facilities and according students who visited the school i don't think they will get away this time.The school will be reevaluated in the spring semester of 2013. I also heard that the Pacific college of pharmacy in Honolulu was denied due to this reason. So i don't think i will take the risk while paying out of state that i also thought i will be instate after attending one year, the living expense, the high rise of gas in which there is no way u can survive without a car, its not like honolulu it rains > 250 days a yr . So i said what could this place offer? I am out and will take my other offers. Good luck to the rest of u.

Hi to all who got accepted to the class of 2016. First i would like to congratulate us all. I was thinking to attend the UHH CoP but I heard from one of my friend's friend from class of 2014 that the funding for the UHH College of Pharmacy (CoP) building was not included in the state budget that was approved by the Hawaii House of Representatives and the main issue the ACPE had with the CoP last time was the facilities and the UHH CoP promised the ACPE that they will fix that before 2013 and thats how they got their first accreditation in june.There are 30 criteria that the ACPE uses to review any CoP and #27 is a review of the physical facilities and according students who visited the school i don't think they will get away this time.The school will be reevaluated in the spring semester of 2013. I also heard that the Pacific college of pharmacy in Honolulu was denied due to this reason. So i don't think i will take the risk while paying out of state that i also thought i will be instate after attending one year, the living expense, the high rise of gas in which there is no way u can survive without a car, its not like honolulu it rains > 250 days a yr . So i said what could this place offer? I am out and will take my other offers. Good luck to the rest of u.

So, you heard from a friend's friend about some fundings.. First of all, you made it sounds like UoH was denied the fundings, which is not the case. They already received fundings for designing a permanent building, they are in the process of talking to state legistration to start the project. I doubt the state would just refuse to fund the sop building after they fund the design of it. In addition, there are classrooms and temporary buildings assigned to sop, its not like lectures are held in the parking lot or on the beach (tho it be nice..). UoH CoP is a fully accreditated program, this means they met all the requirements in the first place. ACPE expressed concern over a physical building, UoH is in the process of fixing it. Both sides are communicating.

This is totally different from the pacific CoP. I am not sure where you heard about the pacific college of pharmacy, but it was denied because they were running a scam there.

Ya gas price is high anywhere, but cannot survive without car? I don't know about that. It's not like there are flood > 250 days a yr.

What could this place offer? You ask this question after you applied, interviewed for UoH CoP?

IMO, I am not worried about it. Maybe a current student would have more insight on this issue.

So, you heard from a friend's friend about some fundings.. First of all, you made it sounds like UoH was denied the fundings, which is not the case. They already received fundings for designing a permanent building, they are in the process of talking to state legistration to start the project. I doubt the state would just refuse to fund the sop building after they fund the design of it. In addition, there are classrooms and temporary buildings assigned to sop, its not like lectures are held in the parking lot or on the beach (tho it be nice..). UoH CoP is a fully accreditated program, this means they met all the requirements in the first place. ACPE expressed concern over a physical building, UoH is in the process of fixing it. Both sides are communicating.

This is totally different from the pacific CoP. I am not sure where you heard about the pacific college of pharmacy, but it was denied because they were running a scam there.

Ya gas price is high anywhere, but cannot survive without car? I don't know about that. It's not like there are flood > 250 days a yr.

What could this place offer? You ask this question after you applied, interviewed for UoH CoP?

IMO, I am not worried about it. Maybe a current student would have more insight on this issue.

Hey kcwang i posted this because my friend forwarded an e-mail to me that was sent out to the students from one of the student senator from UH CoP. And there is no public transportation from the school. Yes It wasn't my first choice and thats why i applied and interviewed and the interviewer wasn't nice too. Hope you will enjoy it and i wish you all the best. Oh and the VOG is the worst. This all the insight of a student from UH CoP.

Hey kcwang i posted this because my friend forwarded an e-mail to me that was sent out to the students from one of the student senator from UH CoP. And there is no public transportation from the school. Yes It wasn't my first choice and thats why i applied and interviewed and the interviewer wasn't nice too. Hope you will enjoy it and i wish you all the best. Oh and the VOG is the worst. This all the insight of a student from UH CoP.

The vog is sometimes a problem for people who have asthma but there isn't vog all the time. Other than that, most people shouldn't have a problem with the vog health wise.

Everyone, I got accepted into UH Hilo!!!!! Got an email at 4:33pm PST!!!!!

Last edited:
Thanks 2117!!! From 2015's sdn thread, I knew they would have to send out emails within 15 days or later after the initial alternate list for those interviewed in Feb. Hope you get one soon, don't give up, people get accepted even a week before school starts.

Hello everyone! Just received an email from Kristy!! I'm in as well!!! Whooo whooo :D:D:D
Looks like they are starting to pull people from the alternate list... Good luck to those who are still waiting for a letter! :)

I just got pulled from the alternate list and am accepted too. I have already enrolled elsewhere and I doubt I will be pulling out of that program. But Hawaii is the dream...

Congrats to everyone who got in :) Looking forward to working with you guys in the fall.

I just got pulled from the alternate list and am accepted too. I have already enrolled elsewhere and I doubt I will be pulling out of that program. But Hawaii is the dream...

I spoke with Liz Heferrnan yesterday about that lack of fund from the state of Hawaii and she said that they will be petitioning to get funds for the main building. The school is new so it is common to be reviewed by ACPE for every 2 years(or 6 even for flourished campuses). She said UH Hilo didn't really said they "promise" to have that main building be done by 2013, and they aren't going to lose accreditation either if they can't have it finished by that year. If they don't meet the #27 rule, then ACPE will send them some sort of guideline:confused: to meet up to the standards. In the worse case that they don't have the main building done at all, then ACPE will have a backup plan for the students that are currently enrolled (us). This has 90 students accepted, offering more chances of being closer and learning better from the professors and peers compared to a class size of 150+.

Last edited:
Yay! Congrats to everyone who got accepted yesterday! I am soooo excited to meet all of you :) I am still in the process of trying to get all of my shots/titers done :/ But I put a deposit on an apartment last week! 4 1/2 more months guy :)

The vog is sometimes a problem for people who have asthma but there isn't vog all the time. Other than that, most people shouldn't have a problem with the vog health wise.
My family just visited and hardly noticed the vog, even when we visited Volcano National Park... We did notice that those of us with allergies had absolutely no issues whatsoever despite all the plant life.

Congrats everyone!! I think I will be turning down the acceptance as well. It was nice to imagine living in Hawaii for the next 4 years, but when comparing costs and logistics, it's just not very realistic for me right now. Good luck to the c/o 2016 :)