University of Hawaii, Hilo Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey kcwang i posted this because my friend forwarded an e-mail to me that was sent out to the students from one of the student senator from UH CoP. And there is no public transportation from the school. Yes It wasn't my first choice and thats why i applied and interviewed and the interviewer wasn't nice too. Hope you will enjoy it and i wish you all the best. Oh and the VOG is the worst. This all the insight of a student from UH CoP.

Hi to all who got accepted to the class of 2016. First i would like to congratulate us all. I was thinking to attend the UHH CoP but I heard from one of my friend's friend from class of 2014 that the funding for the UHH College of Pharmacy (CoP) building was not included in the state budget that was approved by the Hawaii House of Representatives and the main issue the ACPE had with the CoP last time was the facilities and the UHH CoP promised the ACPE that they will fix that before 2013 and thats how they got their first accreditation in june.There are 30 criteria that the ACPE uses to review any CoP and #27 is a review of the physical facilities and according students who visited the school i don't think they will get away this time.The school will be reevaluated in the spring semester of 2013. I also heard that the Pacific college of pharmacy in Honolulu was denied due to this reason. So i don't think i will take the risk while paying out of state that i also thought i will be instate after attending one year, the living expense, the high rise of gas in which there is no way u can survive without a car, its not like honolulu it rains > 250 days a yr . So i said what could this place offer? I am out and will take my other offers. Good luck to the rest of u.
You're creating a lot of unnecessary doom and gloom with half-truths. I'm not going to bother to debunk half of your statements but just for fellow readers to consider, be cautious of a new poster with limited credibility. It's very possible they are simply trying to deter others from accepting their offers in hopes of freeing up more spots on the waitlist.

Members don't see this ad.

Hope you will enjoy it and i wish you all thebest.
Thank you and I will.

Everyone, I got accepted into UH Hilo!!!!! Got an email at 4:33pm PST!!!!!
Nice Oaksen, your coming right?

Hello everyone! Just received an email fromKristy!! I'm in as well!!! Whooo whooo

Looks like they are starting to pull people from the alternate list... Goodluck to those who are still waiting for a letter!

Grats!!

.[/SIZE]

Hey kcwang and everyone here, it seem like it wasn't meant to be for me. I have decided to decline my offer :thumbdown:, my interview invitation offer from Touro CA that is, and will most likely be attending UH Hilo this Fall :thumbup: . Kevin, we need to have a little chat session, pm me.

btw....psychgirl2311~pharmgirl2136 I almost thought they were the same person :smack:

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
.[/SIZE]

Hey kcwang and everyone here, it seem like it wasn't meant to be for me. I have decided to decline my offer :thumbdown:, my interview invitation offer from Touro CA that is, and will most likely be attending UH Hilo this Fall :thumbup: . Kevin, we need to have a little chat session, pm me.

btw....psychgirl2311~pharmgirl2136 I almost thought they were the same person :smack:

Great!

Can't wait to meet all of you...If anyone has any questions about Hawaii, don't hesitate to PM me. I've lived here all my life and wouldn't mind answering any questions you guys might have. Just want to offer any help I can.

.[/SIZE]

lol I can see why you would be confused! The names are very similar. I don't know what to do! Hawaii is my favorite place on earth but I already accepted and sent in my $1000 deposit elsewhere. And UH only gives you a week to decide when they pull you off the waitlist. :( That is not enough time to decide if I can change all my plans when I had already decided I was rejected. Plus pharmgirl has been pretty good at spreading the gloom, although the other COP is a completely different story

lol I can see why you would be confused! The names are very similar. I don't know what to do! Hawaii is my favorite place on earth but I already accepted and sent in my $1000 deposit elsewhere. And UH only gives you a week to decide when they pull you off the waitlist. :( That is not enough time to decide if I can change all my plans when I had already decided I was rejected. Plus pharmgirl has been pretty good at spreading the gloom, although the other COP is a completely different story

It depends...can you handle 3 years without a summer break :scared:or take it nice and slow with 4 years of good weather, nice people who you can bond like family with?:love:

Choose what is best for you! Whatever the place, I wish the best for you. Take your time to decide!

Wish I could take my time lol. I think if I had gotten that acceptance a week ago I would be going to Hawaii, but it just doesnt feel right to pull out of a program Ive already committed too. Plus Ill be done a year earlier than you guys! I will come visit :)

And Im sure you all would be like family but so will my other class. Plus I would spend all my time laying on the beach or finding waterfalls, not studying. Probably better to stay at Pacific where the weather is gloomy and conducive to school.

Good luck guys, bring that pass rate to 100% and show everyone it was the class and not the school!

Congratz to everyone that got in! I look forward to meeting and working with all of you. As far as financial aid goes, i still didnt hear from them. Got accepted in December and submitted my fasa in mid January. :/ Has anyone heard from the financial aid office?

Congratz to everyone that got in! I look forward to meeting and working with all of you. As far as financial aid goes, i still didnt hear from them. Got accepted in December and submitted my fasa in mid January. :/ Has anyone heard from the financial aid office?

I sent them an email asking about max authorized amounts for student loans there in Hilo and she said they were gonna try to have the financial aid packets completed for the grad students by the end of the month but it doesn't look like they are going to meet that deadline especially since the school is completely shut down for spring break. I hope they let us know soon though because I need to know that stuff asap!!

I sent them an email asking about max authorized amounts for student loans there in Hilo and she said they were gonna try to have the financial aid packets completed for the grad students by the end of the month but it doesn't look like they are going to meet that deadline especially since the school is completely shut down for spring break. I hope they let us know soon though because I need to know that stuff asap!!

Thanks for letting me know! =) hopefully the loans we take out is enough to pay for gas. last time i check it was near 5$ ! =(

Thanks for letting me know! =) hopefully the loans we take out is enough to pay for gas. last time i check it was near 5$ ! =(

Yeah I'm already living with those prices now except that I usually fill up at costco or on a military base, both of which don't exist in Hilo! But I guess the good part is we won't really have to drive very far on a day to day basis. The only time you will probably have to drive some distance would be during rotations. I hope the prices come back down a little!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am up for carpooling if anyone wants to share the cost of gas.

No Oaksen, I suck at cooking. I just stir fry and boil everything. No crazy stuff like the master chef episodes on youtube.

For apartment, I am thinking of living alone for the first semester until I find people who're not allergic to my cat.

DiveHawaii, I heard there is a cosco at Kona (2 hrs away). I will be sure to invite you if I go cosco shopping. My friend recently suggested getting a moped instead of a car for my gas problem lol.

chris11792,
I havent received any finicial aid either ( I actually havent even log onto student portal yet)

Has anyone else had to fill out a verification worksheet from the financial aid office and send that in?

Has anyone else had to fill out a verification worksheet from the financial aid office and send that in?

For some reason, i wasnt selected for verification. Are we all supposed to fill out the verification wkst??????????

For some reason, i wasnt selected for verification. Are we all supposed to fill out the verification wkst??????????

UHH sent me an email to create a @hawaii.edu account for fafsa. Is that the verification?

UHH sent me an email to create a @hawaii.edu account for fafsa. Is that the verification?

I think that's just for your paper work, communications, etc...To my understanding, a fafsa verification has something to due with your taxes.

My fafsa status on UH says Proof of citizenship missing, but on fafsa.com my application is completed and no missing documents. I didn't get any email notification either, I guess I have to call when the office is opened.

Yeah it has to do with making sure you didn't lie on the FAFSA I guess? This is what I was sent:

Your application for federal financial aid was selected for review in a process called “Verification.” In the process, we will be comparing information from your application with your Federal tax information, W-2 forms and/or other financial documents. The law says we must ask you for this information before awarding financial aid. If there are differences between your application information and your financial documents, corrections will need to be made to your application and your information will be reprocessed.
You must complete and sign this worksheet and submit it along with any documents requested below. We cannot continue processing your financial aid application until verification has been completed.

And I wasn't sure if this was normal to get, or if I didn't submit something correctly.

Yeah it has to do with making sure you didn't lie on the FAFSA I guess? This is what I was sent:

Your application for federal financial aid was selected for review in a process called “Verification.” In the process, we will be comparing information from your application with your Federal tax information, W-2 forms and/or other financial documents. The law says we must ask you for this information before awarding financial aid. If there are differences between your application information and your financial documents, corrections will need to be made to your application and your information will be reprocessed.
You must complete and sign this worksheet and submit it along with any documents requested below. We cannot continue processing your financial aid application until verification has been completed.

And I wasn't sure if this was normal to get, or if I didn't submit something correctly.

Did you receive this via your personal email or ur UH email? I wasnt selected for verification so just wondering.

Did you receive this via your personal email or ur UH email? I wasnt selected for verification so just wondering.

I received it via my UH email, then I had to log onto the UH portal and go to student requirements for 2012-2013 year and it was there. Then I had to order a transcript from the IRS and have it sent to them along with the worksheet.

For apartment, I am thinking of living alone for the first semester until I find people who're not allergic to my cat.

DiveHawaii, I heard there is a cosco at Kona (2 hrs away). I will be sure to invite you if I go cosco shopping. My friend recently suggested getting a moped instead of a car for my gas problem lol.

Hey kcwang. Yes there is a costco in Kona but it doesn't really help with the normal day to day gas usage since it is so far away. Kinda sucks but hopefully it won't be too much of a problem for us. Does your friend who suggested the moped live in Hilo? I only ask because it is a rainy part of the island and I myself don't like getting wet!! The rain is so sporadic and unpredictable here and I hate getting caught in it when I ride my motorcycle. Anyway just my comment on that topic. Also, would your cat get along with other cats? I have two myself and I'm probably going to have to bring them with me too.

pyschgirl you should reject pacific u and go to Hawaii.. Oregon weather is miserable

I probably will close my account when the school starts lol.

Well, it is their right to choose which school to go, but they are certainly missing out!! I mean who doesnt want to meet oaksen in Hawaii?

Btw, I think a couple people in California are going to hang out during summer. Oaksen, You interested?

I am worried about the required health insurance. My insurance only covers for me when I am in California, but doesn't cover elsewhere. Is there a not too expensive insurance plan that is affordable? I don't want to buy what UHH offers ~$2500!!! :eek: a year. Do tell how much your insurance cost.

Last edited:
I am worried about the required health insurance. My insurance only covers for me when I am in California, but doesn't cover elsewhere. Is there a not too expensive insurance plan that is affordable? I don't want to buy what UHH offers ~$2500!!! :eek: a year. Do tell how much your insurance cost.

check out Kaiser Permanente, their rates are def way better then the hmsa that the school is offering but it just depends on what kind of coverage you think that you'll need. I mean if you have no health problems and don't ever go to the doctor's then you could get a plan as low as like $50 a month I think. Again though read through the coverages for each plan well first and make sure you're comfortable with it before you get it.

pyschgirl you should reject pacific u and go to Hawaii.. Oregon weather is miserable

Bahaha its too late! And I know the weather is miserable... But I want to be done in 3 years. Then I am moving to Hawaii :) are you going to pacific? Its funny how so many of us are incestuous on these school threads. Ive seen the same names repeatedly

Thanks Divehawaii! I'll look into KP. There are so many applicants this year, I wonder if they would hand out a 3rd batch of interview invitation this year. Thread needs to be revived again.

Thanks Divehawaii! I'll look into KP. There are so many applicants this year, I wonder if they would hand out a 3rd batch of interview invitation this year. Thread needs to be revived again.

No problem, I've been researching the same thing thats why. From what I can see Kaiser and HMSA are the only two we have to choose from here in Hawaii for individual plans (meaning unless you get it from an employer). So KP is def way cheaper!!

Do you know the applicant statistics this year for Hilo?

No problem, I've been researching the same thing thats why. From what I can see Kaiser and HMSA are the only two we have to choose from here in Hawaii for individual plans (meaning unless you get it from an employer). So KP is def way cheaper!!

Do you know the applicant statistics this year for Hilo?

I talked to Kristy a while back and the only statistics she gave me was that they receive about 1500 applications. I'm not sure if this is average for each year(possibly not) or for this year.

Last edited:
Wow! Even if that's the average every year that is a lot of applicants.

Wow! Even if that's the average every year that is a lot of applicants.

If I remember correctly, I believe out of the 1500 applicants they interview about 400ish. When I was at my interview we were discussing this a little. So roughly a 1 in 4 shot for those who got an interview. Has anyone heard differently?

I wonder if we decide to rent a house for the semester, will there be appliances provided or will it just be an empty house.

Last edited:
Is anyone out there still flying out to Hawaii for their interview? I'm deciding between the 20th and the very last day, May 4th. Does anyone have any idea how many spots are remaining? I want to pick the later interview date but I'm afraid it's too late :(

Is anyone out there still flying out to Hawaii for their interview? I'm deciding between the 20th and the very last day, May 4th. Does anyone have any idea how many spots are remaining? I want to pick the later interview date but I'm afraid it's too late :(

Ideally, the earlier the better, but if you want to avoid class/exam schedule conflicts, you should pick the more convenient date. I do not know how many spots are left, but since it is a pretty late interview, I am going to guess not a lot. Do they still have LV interviews? If so, maybe it will save you time to fly to LV instead of Hawaii. I live in California, so It was only a 1 day MIA from work. Good Luck, let us know some good news =]

I wonder if we decide to rent a house for the semester, will there be appliances provided or will it just be an empty house.

Most homes in Hawaii that are for rent come partially furnished meaning that they have all the basic appliances at the least, fridge, microwave, and range. This will be even more true for the homes for rent in the vicinity of the college because these homeowners rent out their homes particularly for students. It's very rare to find a house for rent that is completely unfurnished.

I was just pulled form the waitlist. :) Is there any current student in the program that can give me more information about the program. I wanted to find out if they provide laptops, how the lecture is set up, if they record lectures....etc.

I was just pulled form the waitlist. :) Is there any current student in the program that can give me more information about the program. I wanted to find out if they provide laptops, how the lecture is set up, if they record lectures....etc.

Congratulations!!! About time they sent you an acceptance email!

Last edited:

awesome! congrats :)
did they call you or send you an email?

Congratulations!!! About time they sent you an acceptance email!

:soexcited: Thanks. I don't want to make the wrong decission though. I want to find out more about the program. Are you still going to to UH Hilo?

Last edited:
awesome! congrats :)
did they call you or send you an email?
Thanks. They sent me an email yesterday. If you're still waiting for a seat don't loose hope. I need to find out more about the program. I was already accepted at Butler University, so I may decline my seat if I don't like what they have to offer.

Last edited:
Thanks. They sent me an email yesterday. If you're still waiting for a seat don't loose hope. I need to find out more about the program. I was already accepted at Butler University, so I may decline my seat if I don't like what they have to offer.

Congrats!! But, you're going to turn down Hawaii for Butler?!!

I live in Indiana and I chose Hawaii over Butler University. I work at CVS with mainly Butler grads and interns and they do seem to love it there. They provide laptops for the students and have a 100% naplex score, but there is just something about the once in a lifetime experience to go to Hawaii that turned me off from Butler. Whatever decision you make will be a good one because they are both great schools!

Last edited:
I live in Indiana and I chose Hawaii over Butler University. I work at CVS with mainly Butler grads and interns and they do seem to love it there. They provide laptops for the students and have a 100% naplex score, but there is just something about the once in a lifetime experience to go to Hawaii that turned me off from Butler. Whatever decision you make will be a good one because they are both great schools!

Cool. I work for CVS Caremark. Butler is such a nice school. The dean, Dr. Clayton, took time to answer my questions about my transition to Butler and followed up with me about my prereqs. How cool is that?

I was thinking that Hawaii is a once in a lifetime opportunity too. I was actually leaning toward Hawaii because they have the same cost, until I found out what Butler is going to give me for financial aid. I don't want to give specifics but it is substantial amount of grant. Have you or anyone found out how much grants we are going to receive for Hilo?

I think I will wait to decline one of the schools when I find out what Hawaii will give us. This is a really hard decision.

If you look a little earlier in this thread I believe some people were talking about what they were to receive for financial aid as a nonresident which I think was around $49-50K. I think they were mentioning that it didn't seem like enough for you guys.