University of Illinois at Chicago application thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I agree. How was the tour? Were you able to see other parts of campus (beside the building they conducted interviews in)? I've seen one of the lecture halls during an info session. It's old, but I expected that already.

The tour was bad. It lasted literally about 10 minutes, maybe 15. We saw two lecture halls that are next to each other (and they are old but I don't care much about that honestly, just like you said), a "student lobby" (which we did not even go in, just peeked at it from the outside -it looks extremely small and cramped, could probably fit around 20 students comfortably), the computer lab (which is 30 computers or so) and the compounding lab (which is nice but no electronic scales). That was it. We didn't even walk around the building properly, I wish they had at least done that.
I am just sad that I traveled all the way from Texas just for that. The weather was not cold at all and all they did was point us where the library is. They also told us that the medical and nursing schools are "in the campus somewhere". :(

Members don't see this ad.

Can any current students give inputs about the school? ie quality of instruction, competitive nature of the students, campus life etc...

I will post about the questions from the post above when I get home from my lab.

Members don't see this ad :)
The tour was bad. It lasted literally about 10 minutes, maybe 15. We saw two lecture halls that are next to each other (and they are old but I don't care much about that honestly, just like you said), a "student lobby" (which we did not even go in, just peeked at it from the outside -it looks extremely small and cramped, could probably fit around 20 students comfortably), the computer lab (which is 30 computers or so) and the compounding lab (which is nice but no electronic scales). That was it. We didn't even walk around the building properly, I wish they had at least done that.
I am just sad that I traveled all the way from Texas just for that. The weather was not cold at all and all they did was point us where the library is. They also told us that the medical and nursing schools are "in the campus somewhere". :(

Can any current students give inputs about the school? ie quality of instruction, competitive nature of the students, campus life etc...

Note that guys, Interviews will occur during school year and there are students in library studying... I understand that you guys have traveled far for the interview and tour, they might have avoided the library because they might not want to bother those who are studying.

There are two different campuses

Rockford and Chicago.

1. Quality of instruction are really same.
For Chicago
-Most faculty that gives lecture will be giving their lecture from Chicago. However, you will be sitting in a lecture room with 160 people which means that the room is sometimes Extremely hot. Also with 160 people, some students don't even bother to show up for class and etc... Also, there are people in chicago classes that talk during the instruction.

For Rockford
-Unfortunately you will be receiving lectures through the live feed, but you do get to ask question, and instructors are extremely friendly and understanding about this. Luckily you will be in the be much nicer room and comfortable rooms. *unlike chicago there will be no talking*
*Instructors will be visiting often, but honestly, there aren't much difference...

However, it really depends on your preference.

Competitive Nature.
Chicago campus has 160 students of your fellow students... This brings up many issues, and beginning to see a formation of clicks... Also you will be mainly doing stuff together with friends you will be forming. Clubs will play a big role also in obtaining notes. You probably will not know everyone by the end of the year.

Rockford only has around 40-50 students which means you will be really close with your classmates. You will be doing more stuff as a class like "class outing to a bar, or parks or hockey games. There are some competitive, but it isnt as bad as chicago. P2 will share their notes with P1 and P1 wills share their notes with each other so that no one gets left behind. You will not see this in Chicago Campus.

Campus Life

Chicago
Honestly, There are more parties, but mainly from the group of friends you will make and clubs/frats you join. (Its the city, you will have alot of parties than Rockford which is really small town...)

Rockford: Mainly the life is really basically hanging out with your classes, etc..

I've answered to my best capability atm..

I can answer more about like Research, Employment, clubes etc if you want! Let me know.

Last edited:
Note that guys, Interviews will occur during school year and there are students in library studying... I understand that you guys have traveled far for the interview and tour, they might have avoided the library because they might not want to bother those who are studying.

There are two different campuses

Rockford and Chicago.

1. Quality of instruction are really same.
For Chicago
-Most faculty that gives lecture will be giving their lecture from Chicago. However, you will be sitting in a lecture room with 160 people which means that the room is sometimes Extremely hot. Also with 160 people, some students don't even bother to show up for class and etc... Also, there are people in chicago classes that talk during the instruction.

For Rockford
-Unfortunately you will be receiving lectures through the live feed, but you do get to ask question, and instructors are extremely friendly and understanding about this. Luckily you will be in the be much nicer room and comfortable rooms. *unlike chicago there will be no talking*
*Instructors will be visiting often, but honestly, there aren't much difference...

However, it really depends on your preference.

Competitive Nature.
Chicago campus has 160 students of your fellow students... This brings up many issues, and beginning to see a formation of clicks... Also you will be mainly doing stuff together with friends you will be forming. Clubs will play a big role also in obtaining notes. You probably will not know everyone by the end of the year.

Rockford only has around 40-50 students which means you will be really close with your classmates. You will be doing more stuff as a class like "class outing to a bar, or parks or hockey games. There are some competitive, but it isnt as bad as chicago. P2 will share their notes with P1 and P1 wills share their notes with each other so that no one gets left behind. You will not see this in Chicago Campus.

Campus Life

Chicago
Honestly, There are more parties, but mainly from the group of friends you will make and clubs/frats you join. (Its the city, you will have alot of parties than Rockford which is really small town...)

Rockford: Mainly the life is really basically hanging out with your classes, etc..

I've answered to my best capability atm..

I can answer more about like Research, Employment, clubes etc if you want! Let me know.

Thanks for your input! Please continue with a discussion about the research, employment and clubs.

What's your opinion about pharmacy tech positions in both cities. Do most of your classmates work?Also, do you guys have connections with the students on the Chicago campus? Are you guys finally allowed to have IPPE in Chicago? I know a current student over there who says you guys are not allowed to choose Chicago sites. Lastly, do you often get bored in Rockford, I mean do you sometimes regret being placed in Rockford. Some med students I know say it turned out to be awesome than they expected, what has your own experience been like?
Sorry for asking so many questions.

Yay so after a long wait, I'm finally having my interview on this Saturday!
I've read every single post on this thread so far, and from them I am getting the impression that this interview is pretty laid back and easier than most people thought. But somehow I'm still nervous! (though it is perfectly natural to be so nervous for your first interview lol)

Does anybody have last minute advice as for the interview? How many students have they accepted so far? seems like a lot of people already got in and saved their seat, does this mean i have a less chance of getting in than those who got interviewed earlier? :/

Last edited:
For Chicago

Competitive Nature.
There are some competitive, but it isnt as bad as chicago. P2 will share their notes with P1 and P1 wills share their notes with each other so that no one gets left behind. You will not see this in Chicago Campus.
As far as the talking issue, most people don't talk during the lecture. However, the fact that its such a big room gives you the opportunity to talk if you want to. We often talk to each other about the topic and get quick help from a classmate during the lecture. With such a big room you don't hear people talking as much because its not a small classroom.

Also, there isn't much competition in Chicago. We are always helping each other out with notes; plus, with the help coming from upperclassmen in clubs/frats, help is not in short supply. Finally, if there is a curve with grades, it's based off of everybody (both Chicago and Rockford) not just your specific campus.

Yay so after a long wait, I'm finally having my interview on this Saturday!
I've read every single post on this thread so far, and from them I am getting the impression that this interview is pretty laid back and easier than most people thought. But somehow I'm still nervous! (though it is perfectly natural to be so nervous for your first interview lol)

Does anybody have last minute advice as for the interview? How many students have they accepted so far? seems like a lot of people already got in and saved their seat, does this mean i have a less chance of getting in than those who got interviewed earlier? :/

No it definitely does not mean that your chances are less; a lot of people may have been accepted, but also some of them will not be accepting the offer (like me), and they are not rolling admission.

As far as last minute advice goes... nope, nothing. It is very laid back; you just go in and out of rooms and answer scenario type questions -they give you the scenarios beforehand. They are very easy to answer to, just use logic and look at the title of the scenario (is it Empathy or Team work?) and answer accordingly. Also, give reasonable answers. Good luk!

It will be over before you know it. They really set you up to give strong answers. As far as the seat issue, you'll be fine. I interviewed last Friday, loved the whole interview, and was accepted Monday morning at 8:30.

As far as the talking issue, most people don't talk during the lecture. However, the fact that its such a big room gives you the opportunity to talk if you want to. We often talk to each other about the topic and get quick help from a classmate during the lecture. With such a big room you don't hear people talking as much because its not a small classroom.

Also, there isn't much competition in Chicago. We are always helping each other out with notes; plus, with the help coming from upperclassmen in clubs/frats, help is not in short supply. Finally, if there is a curve with grades, it's based off of everybody (both Chicago and Rockford) not just your specific campus.

Oh I meant in Competition wise, you just don't see much help from each other. Yes you do get awesome help from upper classmen from Frat/clubs but, since due to the Click* that it forms, you don't see much sharing as much.

I'm in Rockford and I have yet to see you guys ever send us any help at all...

What's your opinion about pharmacy tech positions in both cities. Do most of your classmates work?Also, do you guys have connections with the students on the Chicago campus? Are you guys finally allowed to have IPPE in Chicago? I know a current student over there who says you guys are not allowed to choose Chicago sites. Lastly, do you often get bored in Rockford, I mean do you sometimes regret being placed in Rockford. Some med students I know say it turned out to be awesome than they expected, what has your own experience been like?
Sorry for asking so many questions.

Jobs are very minimal for both campuses... This is rather disappointing but it is very hard to find a job when there are not that many around you... Both campus area are saturated... IPPE are not interchageable still, and I do feel it that it should change but, it is kinda understandable since you do live near each campus, you really don't want to drive 1-2 hour to get to the IPPE site...

Both campuses have many hospitals sites, but I believe chicago has more but, you would be competing with 160 people to get those spots. I just heard there will be a new hospital that would be opening up in Rockford... I forgot its name but UIC has gotten a contract with them. (there are like 4-5 hospitals) or more.. I'm not 100% sure.

Experiences maybe different to each people, but personally, I love Rockford. People may say it is boring since there are not that many fun places to go, but you have an amazing classmate to hangout and drink. Plus you have more money to spend since you spend around 1/4 of Chicago's rent. Cheap rent kinda gave me a lot of freedom to go outside and spend money like going to Ice Hockey game with the class, or go picking apples as a whole pharmacy campus, etc.

edit: I'll add more info about research and other stuff... in the afternoon after exams.

I've been accepted to UIC and Michigan. Which is a better institution to attend also considering housing and transportation?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have my interview with UIC on Wednesday 2/15 from 3:00 to 4:00. For people who came from out of state, how did you guys get to the school? I got the email mentioning that I should take the L train? But, when would you know to get off?

Based on previous postings, it seems a lot of applicants who have interviewed here are disappointed in their experience. It's really unfortunate that the school didn't meet your expectations, but it's probably because this multiple mini interview process is something new at UIC. I hope those who had a mediocre experience will continue to consider this school. The college is one of the top ten programs in the country and top five among research institutions. Students get to hear about the latest innovations and developments in drug therapy before others do because it's happening right at their school. There are many opportunities for you to get involved with leadership positions in organizations or participating in research with faculty. You can compete in the clinical skills, counseling, or pharmacy and therapeutics competitions - some which originated from UIC. There are also many scholarships that you can apply for each year.

Chicago and Rockford campuses receive the same instruction and our grades are based on the class as a whole, meaning both Chicago and Rockford. I'm a student in Chicago and I don't believe there is much competition here at all. Everyone helps out everyone else even if we're not in the same "clique" because we're all professional students and sometimes we work in assigned groups with classmates we don't know well especially during your second year. In response to the comment above about Chicago sharing information with Rockford - it's not due to competition but distance. If you need help, you simply ask for it. Each class has a class representative that acts as a liaison for both Chicago and Rockford so we're all getting the same information in our emails. Perhaps the class of 2015 is competitive, but I haven't heard the same from any of the other classes. Also, barely anyone talks during lecture and if they're talking it's probably because they're unsure of something the lecturer said and they're asking for clarification from the person sitting next to them. Some classrooms are bigger than others, sometimes it's hot, sometimes it's cold, just dress accordingly.

Jobs are hard to find, but if you work for CVS or Walgreens you won't have a difficult time transferring to the stores here. I can't say what it's like in Rockford because I've only visited a couple times, but Chicago is an amazing city. I'm from out-of-state and I love this city because there is always something to do.

I have my interview with UIC on Wednesday 2/15 from 3:00 to 4:00. For people who came from out of state, how did you guys get to the school? I got the email mentioning that I should take the L train? But, when would you know to get off?
It depends on where you are staying. If you are taking the L train then you'll get on/transfer to the PINK line and get off at POLK. The college is right next to the stop. Best of luck on your interview this Wednesday!

Does anyone know how hard it is to gain in-state residency in Illinois?

Almost impossible in the University of Illinois system, unless your parents move to the state or are married. You have to live in IL for a year. You cannot live in a college dorm. You need an IL driver's license/state ID, pay state taxes, and the kicker earn half of all your expenses, including tuition. They use OOS tuition for this calculation. My guess for an OOSer, the cost of attendance is about $50k. You'll have to have an income of at least $25k.

Almost impossible in the University of Illinois system, unless your parents move to the state or are married. You have to live in IL for a year. You cannot live in a college dorm. You need an IL driver's license/state ID, pay state taxes, and the kicker earn half of all your expenses, including tuition. They use OOS tuition for this calculation. My guess for an OOSer, the cost of attendance is about $50k. You'll have to have an income of at least $25k.

Would the tuition amount be counted as in state or out of state price at this point?

Edit: nvm I just saw that you already said OOS

Last edited:
Based on previous postings, it seems a lot of applicants who have interviewed here are disappointed in their experience. It's really unfortunate that the school didn't meet your expectations, but it's probably because this multiple mini interview process is something new at UIC. I hope those who had a mediocre experience will continue to consider this school. The college is one of the top ten programs in the country and top five among research institutions. Students get to hear about the latest innovations and developments in drug therapy before others do because it's happening right at their school. There are many opportunities for you to get involved with leadership positions in organizations or participating in research with faculty. You can compete in the clinical skills, counseling, or pharmacy and therapeutics competitions - some which originated from UIC. There are also many scholarships that you can apply for each year.

Chicago and Rockford campuses receive the same instruction and our grades are based on the class as a whole, meaning both Chicago and Rockford. I'm a student in Chicago and I don't believe there is much competition here at all. Everyone helps out everyone else even if we're not in the same "clique" because we're all professional students and sometimes we work in assigned groups with classmates we don't know well especially during your second year. In response to the comment above about Chicago sharing information with Rockford - it's not due to competition but distance. If you need help, you simply ask for it. Each class has a class representative that acts as a liaison for both Chicago and Rockford so we're all getting the same information in our emails. Perhaps the class of 2015 is competitive, but I haven't heard the same from any of the other classes. Also, barely anyone talks during lecture and if they're talking it's probably because they're unsure of something the lecturer said and they're asking for clarification from the person sitting next to them. Some classrooms are bigger than others, sometimes it's hot, sometimes it's cold, just dress accordingly.

Jobs are hard to find, but if you work for CVS or Walgreens you won't have a difficult time transferring to the stores here. I can't say what it's like in Rockford because I've only visited a couple times, but Chicago is an amazing city. I'm from out-of-state and I love this city because there is always something to do.

Thank you so much! I really wanted to like UIC but I left the interview with second thoughts. I really hope the admissions process is not representative of the school. I think I will accept their offer now. Ohio State was very very nice, but I don't think Columbus, OH would be a good fit for me. Still going to give UMaryland-Baltimore a look though.

Thank you so much! I really wanted to like UIC but I left the interview with second thoughts. I really hope the admissions process is not representative of the school. I think I will accept their offer now. Ohio State was very very nice, but I don't think Columbus, OH would be a good fit for me. Still going to give UMaryland-Baltimore a look though.

Hey wint! I'll be in Baltimore too! lol. When's your interview? Anyway, I actually really liked my experience in Illinois (I was there 2/9). It may have been because I asked a ton of questions (to the P2 students that remember me, sorry if I bothered you too much. lol)... Also, I love Chicago. :)

There's a portal??? Anyway, I found out through email. :)

What are the grades like at UIC? Usual class averages for exams?

Some student ambassadors at Ohio State mentioned that their class average for exams regularly hit about 88-90%. Is there some sort of grade inflation going on there?

Assuming UIC has a more typical grading scale, how will this affect our chances at grad schools in the future. I won't have much of a shot applying with a 3.5 in Pharm school when half the graduating class from Ohio is sitting pretty on a 4.0.

Hey wint! I'll be in Baltimore too! lol. When's your interview? Anyway, I actually really liked my experience in Illinois (I was there 2/9). It may have been because I asked a ton of questions (to the P2 students that remember me, sorry if I bothered you too much. lol)... Also, I love Chicago. :)

Hey,

I'm going out there on Friday. You?

What sorts of things did you learn about UIC from all your questions?

Accepted! Will be going here for sure :) as for the tour, my group was able to get a thorough tour of the school, including the lecture halls, the compounding lab, the student lobby, the locker room, etc. and it took over an hour overall so i think they definitely put more effort into that part. The student ambassadors were extremely nice and answered a lot of questions. I definitely fell in love with UIC. As for the others who were dissatisfied with the experience i truly think it was b/c this was their first time doing the MMI format, and therefore wouldnt put too much weight on it. It's still a great school!

Oh and they mentioned that the reason why they have torsion balances instead of electrical ones was because it was required by Illinois law that pharmacists be able to compound even without electricity or something like that.

Accepted! Will be going here for sure :) as for the tour, my group was able to get a thorough tour of the school, including the lecture halls, the compounding lab, the student lobby, the locker room, etc. and it took over an hour overall so i think they definitely put more effort into that part. The student ambassadors were extremely nice and answered a lot of questions. I definitely fell in love with UIC. As for the others who were dissatisfied with the experience i truly think it was b/c this was their first time doing the MMI format, and therefore wouldnt put too much weight on it. It's still a great school!

Oh and they mentioned that the reason why they have torsion balances instead of electrical ones was because it was required by Illinois law that pharmacists be able to compound even without electricity or something like that.

Did you interview on Feb 11th as well? What time?

Illinois law requires a torsion scale to be in the pharmacy. In real life, there is the poor torsion balance in the corner or on a shelf, and an electric one which everyone uses.

Probably pretty likely, but I dk for sure. Depends on how high you are. I just rejected my offer today, so that'll help you!

This this true. There's a reason there are no electronic ones because anybody can use those. The torsion ones take skillz to use ;)

Hello all I have a few questions that anyone can feel free to answer.
1. Do Rockford students travel to Chicago on rare occasions for events and such? If so how often?
2. Do students purchase textbooks or just utilize the professor’s lectures, besides the required materials. Also where are textbook purchased, since there is no store at Rockford?
3. Where are good neighborhoods/ areas to live in Rockford? Is it easy to room with other students and come into contact with them to initiate this process?
4. Are there any activities/ clubs Rockford students can be a part of?
5. Would you recommend working part time?

Thank you for your time and thoughts.
:)

2. Do students purchase textbooks or just utilize the professor’s lectures, besides the required materials. Also where are textbook purchased, since there is no store at Rockford?

2. Just use the lecture notes for most classes. I have found some of the textbooks helpful though. I'd just recommend asking an upperclassman and see which ones they used. (most will say none though lol). Why would you purchase books at the bookstore when you can get them for 1/4 the price at www.half.com or www.amazon.com. That would just be silly...

5. Yes. First year you DEFINITELY have time to work. Second year....I'll let you know when I get there.

Yeah, were you the person from New York? I'm the one guy who was from California haha

Oh!! I remember you! Sorry to hear that :( but like others said, ppl will ge rejecting their offer so hopefully i'll get to see you in the fall! :'(

5. Yes. First year you DEFINITELY have time to work. Second year....I'll let you know when I get there.

How many hours would you recommend working during P1? Also, do most pharm students work as pharm tech or does it depend? Thanks in advance!

Some student ambassadors at Ohio State mentioned that their class average for exams regularly hit about 88-90%. Is there some sort of grade inflation going on there?

Assuming UIC has a more typical grading scale, how will this affect our chances at grad schools in the future. I won't have much of a shot applying with a 3.5 in Pharm school when half the graduating class from Ohio is sitting pretty on a 4.0.

That seems like a huge inflation... Either their exam scores are highly curved or their exams are very easy or they are very smart...

Our exam scores average range from 80%ish but The professors are generous and usually aim for giving at least 50% of people A and Bs.

Most likely people do good enough they get As majority wise.

1. Do Rockford students travel to Chicago on rare occasions for events and such? If so how often?
2. Do students purchase textbooks or just utilize the professor's lectures, besides the required materials. Also where are textbook purchased, since there is no store at Rockford?
3. Where are good neighborhoods/ areas to live in Rockford? Is it easy to room with other students and come into contact with them to initiate this process?
4. Are there any activities/ clubs Rockford students can be a part of?

1. Some do travel on rare occasions for events. Most people work on the weekend so they can't travel for the events but if they can they usually do.

I went to the alumni meeting that was held at schamburg in the first semester.
2. We usually purchase the books. But the professor will let you know if it is even necessary or what not. (trust me buy from the web. It is so much cheaper.)
3. I can help you with housing but you could wait til the orientation in June. We help you find place to live.
4. There are many activities, :AphA, ICHP, SnPHA, Research Groups, a frat, etc...
There are few missing clubs in Rockford that is available in Chicago but there is a good chance of forming the Rockford Chapter for these clubs when we get our new P1s.
This gives you a chance to become an officer !
5. I really do recommend it. Its great experience and perhaps you can get a job when you graduate!

How many hours would you recommend working during P1? Also, do most pharm students work as pharm tech or does it depend? Thanks in advance!
My friends who work as a tech works weekends for about 8-10 hours total every week.

I work in a research lab for about 10-12 hours per week. Jobs are variable and really you just have to look hard for em.

During P1 its not bad to work 10-12 hours ish every week.

Also to add from the above response...

Its not always the grade. Grades are important but what is most important is what you do ASIDE from school.

Joining research group, publishing papers, being officer of an org, etc will be much bigger factor than just the grades..

Don't stress too big on grades when it is like 3.5 or 4.0... Grades are important but not that important.

Just got accepted into Rockford! Anyone know if I can weasel my way into the Chicago campus? I live in the northwest suburbs and can commute to Chicago very easily. Anyone heard of this being done at all?
Nope

Hi guys, for those who recently interviewed, what date did you guys submit your application? I just want to know how far along they are in the cycle because I submitted mine end of January. Thanks!

Hi guys, for those who recently interviewed, what date did you guys submit your application? I just want to know how far along they are in the cycle because I submitted mine end of January. Thanks!

My PharmCAS was sent out the last week of September, and UIC didn't have their supplemental completed until mid-October, so everyone that met their minimum GPA requirements or whatnot all received the supplemental that date. It was due 2 weeks later & they didn't send interview invites out until the second week of December or so.

I've been accepted at UIC, Ohio State, and I'm having a good feeling about my interview at UMaryland Baltimore.

All the schools did a nice little show and dance about their programs except UIC. I really love Chicago and everything the city has to offer, but I'm having trouble choosing UIC as a school. Can someone there give me some compelling reasons to pick UIC over the other schools other than it being located in Chicago?

Is there a College of Pharmacy library? Are there study lounges? Good student atmosphere that balances fun with academics? Classmates are smart driven people? Tons of good cutting-edge pharmaceutical research and a faculty that likes having PharmD students to work in their labs? Industry/Government connections and rotations? etc...

Thanks! Having to pick a school is driving me crazy. I almost wish I were rejected by some now!

Are there any research opportunities at Rockford? Basic, translational, and clinical? Also as i understand from dr T, those who are pursuing the joint programs will have to do their masters portion in Chicago, are any of you Rockford students doing this? And if so how is it going so far?

I've been accepted at UIC, Ohio State, and I'm having a good feeling about my interview at UMaryland Baltimore.

All the schools did a nice little show and dance about their programs except UIC. I really love Chicago and everything the city has to offer, but I'm having trouble choosing UIC as a school. Can someone there give me some compelling reasons to pick UIC over the other schools other than it being located in Chicago?

Is there a College of Pharmacy library? Are there study lounges? Good student atmosphere that balances fun with academics? Classmates are smart driven people? Tons of good cutting-edge pharmaceutical research and a faculty that likes having PharmD students to work in their labs? Industry/Government connections and rotations? etc...

Thanks! Having to pick a school is driving me crazy. I almost wish I were rejected by some now!

This was the exact question I was asking a friend of mine today. I asked whether he still would've chosen UIC if it wasn't in Chicago. He found that to be a tough question.

I will say if one of them is your state school, go there. If all of them will be out-of-state, then I will choose Ohio State with no doubt. It's just a great school, an AAU member, a BIG 10 school, and a public Ivy. I believe Ohio State on your resume looks good in any state in the US including Illinois.

If you love Chicago that much, You can always come to Chicago when you graduate, and I can tell you that more hospitals will be willing to accept you for residencies, if that's what you are into. I believe after 3rd year you can even do some of the rotations in Chicago, more preceptors will be willing to accept you. Sometimes preceptors want to have a blend of students from good schools, of course, instead of having all UIC students.
While 210 (160+50) students will be claiming they went to UIC when you graduate, only 130 will be claiming they went to Ohio State, just as few people can claim that they went to Harvard law school. That's what prestige is all about.

But I know you will be tempted to take one of those huge offers in Ohio when you graduate, cos they will want to keep you there to serve their state.

I interviewed on Wednesday 2/15 and got accepted the next morning. My tour guide, Loriel was AMAZING! She was so nice and helpful and gave me a personal tour since no one else wanted to go on the tour. Hahaha! My tour was about 30 minutes and I felt really good about the school afterward. Though, I would agree that the location of the school is the biggest reason why I like UIC. Chicago is a great city!

I have to respond by 3/2, but I am still waiting on the University of Minnesota which said they won't notify people until 3/5. Do you know if UIC would be willing to push the deadline date back just by a week or so?

Hello
Since lectures are via video conference are they recorded for student use? Meaning can you access videos of previous lectures for reviewing?

Also I know Rockford offers their Rural PharmD but what is considered rural..anything outside of Chicago?

Any other tid bits about Rockford would be appreciated:)..
Thanks

Hello
Since lectures are via video conference are they recorded for student use? Meaning can you access videos of previous lectures for reviewing?

Also I know Rockford offers their Rural PharmD but what is considered rural..anything outside of Chicago?

Any other tid bits about Rockford would be appreciated:)..
Thanks

From what I was told, you can access any of the recorded lectures to review and study. They are there for your use. My tour guide said that Rockford focuses more on problems that rural areas need. For example, she mentioned that students in Rockford gets some practice on farm animals such as horses and cows. In many rural areas that lack physicians, the pharmacists are sometime the main person people go to for health problems. Therefore, I'm guessing that as a Rockford student you would get more training and education to address those needs.

2. Just use the lecture notes for most classes. I have found some of the textbooks helpful though. I'd just recommend asking an upperclassman and see which ones they used. (most will say none though lol). Why would you purchase books at the bookstore when you can get them for 1/4 the price at www.half.com or www.amazon.com. That would just be silly...

Hi, I was wondering if the lecture attendance is being checked? Can you skip the lectures and just read the posted materials and go over the recorded lecture? I am trying to figure out if I will be able to keep my job and work some morning hours... I have a friend who graduated from the Midwestern College of Pharmacy last year, he told me they barely attended any lectures at all and just showed up for the labs/ exams.
Any info will be appreciated! :)