University of Illinois at Chicago c/o 2017 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
edit: nevermind

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I had an interview yesterday and found out im placed on holding pattern. I think my interview went fine but do you guys know how much emphasis they put on the interview process? because sometimes that process is make or break for you.

I have a 3.71 gpa with A's in science courses and 70 PCAT score.
I have some volunteering on the resume, leadership positions in student organizations, and have job shadowed a couple of hospitals/retail.

I'm just not sure if UIC puts a lot of emphasis on the interview or they will take everything into account as well as the personal essay.

Any thoughts???
I was really nervous for my interview and to be honest I walked away thinking I didn't do as well as I would have liked. I think UIC takes a holistic approach to reviewing apps and considers the entire app (interview included). I didn't think that my hard stats were super competitive but I felt like I made up for it in EC's. And although I thought that I botched my interview ( completely subjective, of course) I did receive an admissions offer the very next day.

What does the holding pattern email look like? Do they say your app will be continually reviewed?

Members don't see this ad :)
What does the holding pattern email look like? Do they say your app will be continually reviewed?
"What does the holding pattern mean? It means that your application is strong, but the Admissions Committee wasn't ready to make an admissions offer at this point in the admissions cycle. Given that you've been place in the holding pattern, what should you do? We know applicants often consider multiple schools of pharmacy and often have many options. We want and encourage you to make a decision that is best for you. The Admissions Committee reviews applicants on an on-going basis, so you might receive an admission offer as more applicants are considered. If you remain in the holding pattern after all admissions interviews have occurred, the Admissions Committee will consider you for placement on the alternate list."

Hey everyone congrats to everyone who recently got accepted and if you were put in the holding pattern don't be discouraged because I have heard lots of people being taken off of hold within 1-2 weeks! So be patient and don't lose hope!

Hey everyone congrats to everyone who recently got accepted and if you were put in the holding pattern don't be discouraged because I have heard lots of people being taken off of hold within 1-2 weeks! So be patient and don't lose hope!
I know that it's rolling admission, but what would the last day be for UIC to stop accepting people?

Last year, I heard from several sources that it was the day before class starts that they stop accepting people XD

Last year, I heard from several sources that it was the day before class starts that they stop accepting people XD

yeah but by that time, you're likely on the alternative list.

I think we want to know just how long do they conduct interviews before holding patterns are placed on the list?

Well I heard from someone at UIC that for this cycle 130 people have been interviewed so far and the class size is 160 so there is still room and not all of those 130 have gotten accepted so I think interviews will go on till late April

130 for both or just the chicago campus?

There's about 160 in our Chicago class and about 40 at Rockford. So about 200 total give or take.

Members don't see this ad :)
so does holding pattern mean that you are going to be accepted but it depends on when. because the email doesnt talk about the possibility of being denied

so does holding pattern mean that you are going to be accepted but it depends on when. because the email doesnt talk about the possibility of being denied

No... It means that you might get accepted at any time, but you also might be placed on waiting list after they are done with the interviews. Once on the waiting list you will be accepted only if enough people withdraws.

how many applicants are interviewed during each 4 hour slot at the chicago campus?

Help! ... I have been accepted to one school (choice 2) and wait listed at another (choice 1). The one where I'm wait listed I won't find out if I'm in until after I have to decide if I want to commit to the other school. Does anyone know what would happen if I were to accept and pay the deposit and one school but then find out I'm accepted at the other school I was wait listed on. Can I withdraw my acceptance and accept the other school?

Help! ... I have been accepted to one school (choice 2) and wait listed at another (choice 1). The one where I'm wait listed I won't find out if I'm in until after I have to decide if I want to commit to the other school. Does anyone know what would happen if I were to accept and pay the deposit and one school but then find out I'm accepted at the other school I was wait listed on. Can I withdraw my acceptance and accept the other school?
You can still withdraw. The deposit is just you paying them to hold your acceptance spot so they wont give it to anyone else. But you can still withdraw.

So if you are on holding process, you're not denied but instead just waiting to be accepted?

Does anyone know how the MMI is set up? Are there tables? Can we hear other people while we're being interviewed or are they in different rooms?

So if you are on holding process, you're not denied but instead just waiting to be accepted?

Yes, that's correct. Not denied, not accepted. I'm on the "active consideration" list.

You can still withdraw. The deposit is just you paying them to hold your acceptance spot so they wont give it to anyone else. But you can still withdraw.

Ok thank you for your help! Can I ask where you found this information?

Ok thank you for your help! Can I ask where you found this information?
I know from talking with current pharmacy students who also had the same dilemma. You just pay the deposit and if a better school comes along, just go with the beteer school but you would also have to pay a deposit for that one though.

Does anyone know how the MMI is set up? Are there tables? Can we hear other people while we're being interviewed or are they in different rooms?
You can,t hear other people, there are 5 different rooms set-up already, you will be given 6 situation prompts where you have 10mins to review and contemplate your answer, then before going into each room for the interview you get to see the prompt again for 30sec and the interview will be 5min long.

Yes, you can withdraw at any time... you will just loose your deposit or part of it (depends on the school).

Yes, that's correct. Not denied, not accepted. I'm on the "active consideration" list.
What's the active considerations list? is that different than holding process?

How long did it take for the people who were "holding pattern" status to get a reply email back?

and was there anyone that were placed on waitlist?

How long did it take for the people who were "holding pattern" status to get a reply email back?

and was there anyone that were placed on waitlist?

You mean when we got accepted from holding pattern? I got an acceptance e-mail 8 days after I was placed on holding pattern. As for the wait list I think that they don't put anybody there just yet. They will once interviews are over... I think.

Has anyone that was accepted activated/created their my.uic account yet? Are we allowed to as soon as we are accepted?

As far as I know we don't yet have the information to set up the my.uic account, but someone let me know if I am wrong!

The steps to make a UIC account are tedious and from what I remember when I went to UIC as an undergrad that's what they have us do at orientation so i would say wait for that or further instructions from UIC pharmacy

Has anyone that was accepted activated/created their my.uic account yet? Are we allowed to as soon as we are accepted?

We didn't get the my.uic account until orientation in June. They also sign you up for classes at that time as well.

For those that have been accepted and have submitted their deposit...regarding the email sent by Dean TenHoeve about being "officially" admitted by the Office of Admissions and Records. Has anyone received this yet? Their official acceptance from OAR? I'm going to assume it's just to confirm that pre-reqs have been completed, etc. But now it just feels like one more email I have to wait for to confirm that I'm in.

Last edited:
For those that have been accepted and have submitted their deposit...regarding the email sent by Dean Tenhoeve about being "officially" admitted by the Office of Admissions and Records. Has anyone received this yet? Their official acceptance from OAR? I'm going to assume it's just to confirm that pre-req have been completed, etc. But now it just feels like one more email I have to wait for to confirm that I'm in.

Yeee... I got the e-mail as well. So basically they are telling us that we are not officially accepted yet???

Yeee... I got the e-mail as well. So basically they are telling us that we are not officially accepted yet???

Yeah that email startled me a little bit too, but I think its just a verification process we all have to go through. I don't think we need to worry

Yeah that email startled me a little bit too, but I think its just a verification process we all have to go through. I don't think we need to worry

I think you are right!
Though I will not be able to fully relax until I will have everything complete (immunizations, background check, etc)...

You can,t hear other people, there are 5 different rooms set-up already, you will be given 6 situation prompts where you have 10mins to review and contemplate your answer, then before going into each room for the interview you get to see the prompt again for 30sec and the interview will be 5min long.
Can you give an example of the type of situations you will be given? For example, will the situation be pharmacy work related or something else?

Can you give an example of the type of situations you will be given? For example, will the situation be pharmacy work related or something else?
Just read interview feedback. It has more than enough information to help you prepare for the MMI type interviews and possible questions. Remember the interview is just one aspect of your application. My only advice is to smile and shake hands with your interviewer when you walk into their office.

what kind of questions were asked? can you give an example? i am nervous! interview on 28th
i heard they ask behavioral questions.

Just smile and talk to the interviewers! I don't think there is a "right" answer to any of the interview questions, as long as you speak up and be yourself, you will be just fine =) Treat the interview as a "game" too and enjoy yourself, I thought it was a lot of fun the way it is set up!

Good luck to everyone. It was nice reading your posts :)

Last edited:
A seat just opened up for Fall 2013. I was accepted at my state school.

seeing the facebook group balloon to 125, I'm getting less confident they take me off the hold. I just wish they announced it already. :(