University of Illinois c/o 2018 Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cloverbug

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The VMCAS are open and I'm excited to try again to this school. It's at the top of my list and I hope it works out this time. Good luck and remember, stay calm and enjoy the ride.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
woo hooooo!!! Illinois is my IS and my first time applying we'll see how it goes! The supp app makes me nervous :\

Last edited:
woo hooooo!!! Illinois is my IS and my first time applying we'll see how it goes! The supp app makes me nervous :\

Hey I will be applying as well! Good luck! First time applying as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, just a little note to all those applying for the first time. On the essay for the supplemental, write it like a researched paper. When I had my file review, I was told to get more research to cite so I had my points backed up better. He told me not to worry about word count because they have a lot more space than the personal statement. Hope this helps!

Thanks! That helps a lot. When I read the topic i was like o_0

And if anyone has questions about U of I in general feel free to PM me. I go there for undergrad.

my essay last year was about 1 page long single spaced (about 4 paragraphs). It was on the role of vets in food animal medicine and food safety / public health and i pulled most of my paper from my experiences with large animal vets (what I learned about the industry from them), things I learned in undergrad (I was an animal science major at U of I) and a couple of research articles (which I cited). Basically the point of the essay is to see if you really know and understand the profession and what veterinarians do other than basic clinical practice.

I know they change the topic every year so it would be different for you guys. Best of luck!

my essay last year was about 1 page long single spaced (about 4 paragraphs). It was on the role of vets in food animal medicine and food safety / public health and i pulled most of my paper from my experiences with large animal vets (what I learned about the industry from them), things I learned in undergrad (I was an animal science major at U of I) and a couple of research articles (which I cited). Basically the point of the essay is to see if you really know and understand the profession and what veterinarians do other than basic clinical practice.

I know they change the topic every year so it would be different for you guys. Best of luck!
See, that's basically what I did too (using more from my knowledge from my animal nutrition class because finding large animal vets around here is difficult) but he told me it was okay to make it longer than that and he wanted more cited stuff. I think because you pulled in personal experiences, it worked out well for you because you are your own source but I lack that so I think that's what he meant. At least now we know if you have personal experience in whatever the topic is then that counts as research, thanks for that!

See, that's basically what I did too (using more from my knowledge from my animal nutrition class because finding large animal vets around here is difficult) but he told me it was okay to make it longer than that and he wanted more cited stuff. I think because you pulled in personal experiences, it worked out well for you because you are your own source but I lack that so I think that's what he meant. At least now we know if you have personal experience in whatever the topic is then that counts as research, thanks for that!

I would be careful with using to much citations. At this point in your academic career you should be able to write a research paper, and I don't think that is what they are looking for. I think what they want you to be able to do is write the essay drawing on your own experiences to form an educated opinion on a matter and when warranted use cited sources to back up those opinions, but not to right the whole essay in a research type.

I would be careful with using to much citations. At this point in your academic career you should be able to write a research paper, and I don't think that is what they are looking for. I think what they want you to be able to do is write the essay drawing on your own experiences to form an educated opinion on a matter and when warranted use cited sources to back up those opinions, but not to right the whole essay in a research type.
I know what you're saying, but he actually told me to make it more like a research paper during my file review, and I think he was mostly talking about having real examples to back up opinions. I guess "cited" was the improper word to use. I just meant have real information to support a claim like you would in a research paper if it's experience or actual research, though I feel I'm going to have to go with actual research for a good chunk of this new topic just because I have limited experience in population control. We'll see how it goes I guess. Good luck everyone.

I only used a total of two sources for my paper, and I used them to cite things like numbers or percentages to back up some of my main points.

And yeah he did say to use citations. Some of my friends in VM15 also used citations in theirs.

I guess I should post on here!!! I've not looked at the supp yet, I want to get the bulk of my VMCAS done first, although now I'm worried!!!!

I got in for the class of 2017 and my supplemental essay did not have any citations. It was one page double spaced and just my own opinion about what I thought the responsibilities of a vet were given the situation. I don't know what they thought about it but mine was very minimal just to give you another perspective.

I guess I should post on here!!! I've not looked at the supp yet, I want to get the bulk of my VMCAS done first, although now I'm worried!!!!
Don't worry too much. I think it's a pretty straightforward question and the only reason I want to do some research is that I haven't done much beyond private sector work on the subject but I know there's other aspects I haven't had a chance to venture into.

To McVet0071: That's interesting and I'll keep that in mind while writing this year. Do you have a wide range of experience and a high GPA? Maybe that played a big factor. I just wanted to share the information I was given at my review to help others who may feel a little lost. Congrats by the way.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm pretty sure I didn't use citations. It was finishing it literally the day before it was due at the library since I was in the process of moving and didn't have internet hooked up yet at my new place. It was definitely not my best piece of work but they still let me in:)

Hey all! Illinois is my IS school as well so definitely at the top of my (very short) list!

Quick question: for the supplemental application, are you guys going to fill out the optional "areas of interest" survey? I honestly want to go into stereotypical small animal medicine, so I feel like I shouldn't fill out the survey. But maybe it would look bad not to fill it out... thoughts?

Also, I was reading above about the citations in the essay... did you guys put just informal citations (such as, "According to a study by ____, it was found that...." or did you do a formal citation (such as "Burlingham, p. 376" with a reference list below)? Sorry if that was confusing! haha

Hey all! Illinois is my IS school as well so definitely at the top of my (very short) list!

Quick question: for the supplemental application, are you guys going to fill out the optional "areas of interest" survey? I honestly want to go into stereotypical small animal medicine, so I feel like I shouldn't fill out the survey. But maybe it would look bad not to fill it out... thoughts?

Also, I was reading above about the citations in the essay... did you guys put just informal citations (such as, "According to a study by ____, it was found that...." or did you do a formal citation (such as "Burlingham, p. 376" with a reference list below)? Sorry if that was confusing! haha

It sounds like a bunch of us didn't use any formal citations and it worked out fine. I was accepted for c/o 2016 and didn't use them. Not sure what this year's topic is, but I felt the topic for my application cycle didn't really require too much additional research and was more of an opinion based essay. Guess it could vary by year. Last year's topic sounds like having a few might have been okay if you weren't very familiar that are of vet med..

I think with the survey, as long as your experience backs up your interests its fine. With the citations, like Orca said, I didn't cite anything formally. I think I might have put a couple of loose references to about 2 articles to reinforce the point I wanted to make, but in no way did I write a research paper. I am pretty sure we all can parrot peer-reviewed papers pretty well by now ;)

I was waitlisted at Illinois this year (and then subsequently accepted off the waitlist in June). I had a file review before I was accepted, and the assistant dean said he loved my supplemental essay. He had hinted that if I had to apply next year, I could add in a couple citations to the essay to "add a feather in my cap", but that it was not mandatory.

Quick question... has anyone successfully matched their GRE scores on the supplemental? My scores have been officially posted for a few days but when I try to do it on there it says "No match please try again".

I never thought of using citations for the supplemental essay. I still got in with a generic essay, but wow! that would really make you stand out. I agree it is a fantastic idea. In the future, when you are a veterinarian, you will not write a single paper without references. Using them in your supplemental essay will show maturity.

Quick question... has anyone successfully matched their GRE scores on the supplemental? My scores have been officially posted for a few days but when I try to do it on there it says "No match please try again".
It says mine are successfully received so maybe it just needs some time to make the connection?

Oh, and far as citations, I'm using some numbers and facts posted through the Humane Society of the United States so I plan on using citations there but otherwise I'm just using my own experiences. Quick question though, should I put a bibliography of my citations or just go with the citations since it's coming from a website?

Oh, and far as citations, I'm using some numbers and facts posted through the Humane Society of the United States so I plan on using citations there but otherwise I'm just using my own experiences. Quick question though, should I put a bibliography of my citations or just go with the citations since it's coming from a website?

Tread very carefully here...

Tread very carefully here...
I'm using the average number of animals they euthanize per year and the list of states that they have altering laws for is all, nothing too substantial. I know the laws in my own state but I wasn't sure about others so I looked it up, and I thought using a statistic would be helpful for a specific point.

I'm using the average number of animals they euthanize per year and the list of states that they have altering laws for is all, nothing too substantial. I know the laws in my own state but I wasn't sure about others so I looked it up, and I thought using a statistic would be helpful for a specific point.

their statistics may not reflect reality.

their statistics may not reflect reality.
I'm just using the number to emphasize the point that there's an over-population issue. The humane society and all of its branches are really the only other websites I can find so it's hard to double check it.

I'm just using the number to emphasize the point that there's an over-population issue. The humane society and all of its branches are really the only other websites I can find so it's hard to double check it.

humane societies and HSUS are different entities. AMA is probably a better resource than HSUS (which is an entity much like PeTA)

Bump :) Hope everyone's app is going great!

Still working on my supplemental application essay...yeah...this takes a good bit of work...but almost done! :thumbup:

has anyone received any conformation e-mails on your submission? I have for the other 4 schools I've applied to, but nothing from UoI......I submitted VMCAS about 2 months ago, and the supp a few weeks ago....has anyone heard anything? I'm just mildly paranoid they've not received it, or something like that!!

has anyone received any conformation e-mails on your submission? I have for the other 4 schools I've applied to, but nothing from UoI......I submitted VMCAS about 2 months ago, and the supp a few weeks ago....has anyone heard anything? I'm just mildly paranoid they've not received it, or something like that!!

Mine was mailed on the 27th and I didn't get an email from U of I nor the other school I applied to. I was going to call and make sure they got it and also correct an error I made on the VMCAS :oops:

I have NO idea what I did with my printed GRE score report, and we need it in order to enter the GRE registration numbers. Is/was anyone else in this pickle? Did anyone get the numbers from calling ETS? I tried just entering the dates, but nothing came up (I had my scores sent at the end of July...) :confused:

I have NO idea what I did with my printed GRE score report, and we need it in order to enter the GRE registration numbers. Is/was anyone else in this pickle? Did anyone get the numbers from calling ETS? I tried just entering the dates, but nothing came up (I had my scores sent at the end of July...) :confused:

When I look at my score report online the registration number is listed where all of my info is listed.. are you able to access it online?

I have one registration # online, under "view test scores", for all three tests and when I entered it, it worked. I'll call tomorrow to make sure that's right.

When I look at my score report online the registration number is listed where all of my info is listed.. are you able to access it online?

I have one registration # online, under "view test scores", for all three tests and when I entered it, it worked. I'll call tomorrow to make sure that's right.

Thank you so much -- I also only had one registration number (I took the test twice), which was indeed listed online. I tried putting the number in for both dates, but it only worked for one of them. I plan to call ETS in the morning and see if they can give me the other number. I'll keep you posted.

Chitty, do all of your scores say that the test results were received by using the one registration number?

It just says that they were received after I put that # in. I'm calling in the morning to make sure I did it right b/c I plan to submit the supp this weekend :confused:

Ok, just called and was told that the one registration # is fine, but you can leave it blank, if you had the scores sent to them via ETS, and they will manually track them. Did that run-on sentence make sense? :p

Ok, just called and was told that the one registration # is fine, but you can leave it blank, if you had the scores sent to them via ETS, and they will manually track them. Did that run-on sentence make sense? :p

Ok thanks! I just called ETS and they gave me my other registration number (there was one number for each date). The lady said that I should be able to pull up my scores with just the one number, but of course I couldn't, so she gave me the second number which worked :thumbup:

How did everyone get on with their personal responses? I worked on mine for a ridiculously long amount of time (that may have been because I was watching movies while writing it), and I did cite one study. Now, we sit and wait! :luck:

How did everyone get on with their personal responses? I worked on mine for a ridiculously long amount of time (that may have been because I was watching movies while writing it), and I did cite one study. Now, we sit and wait! :luck:

Basically, just very glad I don't have to slave over that essay anymore. For some reason, it seems harder for me to write about a topic I am passionate about...but maybe this one just had a lot of material to pack into one essay. I heard some people treated it like a research paper, but I just cited some stats at one part and left it at that. the majority was my opinion of the situation. Lots of relief that it is over now, I also spent way too much time on it lol

Basically, just very glad I don't have to slave over that essay anymore. For some reason, it seems harder for me to write about a topic I am passionate about...but maybe this one just had a lot of material to pack into one essay. I heard some people treated it like a research paper, but I just cited some stats at one part and left it at that. the majority was my opinion of the situation. Lots of relief that it is over now, I also spent way too much time on it lol

Yes, fitting everything onto "one page of text" was a chore. I cited one study, and then just basically rattled off as many areas that veterinarians are involved as I could. Because the prompt said to "discuss" all the areas in "one page of text", I had a hard time with it. Glad it's over, just hope I answered it how they wanted!

Does anyone know when the App Status portal opened up last cycle?

I'm thinking all of the schools are set back a few weeks due to the transcript verification delays. Does anyone know if those who submitted October 2nd have been mailed yet? I submitted September 1st and it still took 10 days for my app to get mailed out! VMCAS did mention that it could take up to a month or so if you submit close to the deadline.

How do you access the U of I status page by chance?
I know that probably seems like an obvious question...

How do you access the U of I status page by chance?
I know that probably seems like an obvious question...
You know where we accessed the supplemental? It should be there. If you scroll down you'll see the 2013 status link.

The status portal might go up tomorrow...Watch for an email :watching: