University of Illinois c/o 2018 Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm in as well! OOS, nj here! I have been going through the interview in my head countless times, thinking 'omg, I could've said this, I should've said more' but thank goodness the wait is over :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Alright I'm confused. Do all those that were offered an interview either get accepted or alternate status or do some get rejected as well?

Alright I'm confused. Do all those that were offered an interview either get accepted or alternate status or do some get rejected as well?
I think I read from last year's thread that ppl who were interviewed would either get accepted or waitlisted.

Members don't see this ad :)
ACCEPTED! In state! So happy to be moving back to champaign. I went to u of I for my undergrad and absolutely loved those 4 years!

Reactions: 2 users
congrats to everyone who got in! could an OOS applicant who got in share their stats? I got waitlisted and I want to know what I'm up against.....

I am deciding between here and Minnesota. I really liked the st. paul/min area. I guess I am just wondering about the local restaurants, bars, and the surrounding towns. How are you liking living there?
I really like it here. The college town energy and vibe is great. And moving here from the North East....people here are SO nice and friendly compared to what I'm used to. There are many little sub-communities: Urbana, Champaign, Savoy, Rantoul, etc and each have some sort of
"fest" thing. I went to the sweet corn fest in Urbana and I thought it sounded kind of silly but hey! I had a good time. The restaurants are good! There is such a wide variety. I'm actually going to check out a restaurant that I haven't been to yet tonight! There's always something to see and do and the campus is just so beautiful. I like having the vet school right across from the arboretum. The overall location is nice: Urbana to Chicago is ~2.5 hrs depending on traffic, St. Louis is about 3 hrs away, and Indianapolis is about 2 hrs away. So there's always something to do (WHEN YOU HAVE THE TIME!) My husband moved here with me and he found a good job within a few weeks! Kraft is headquartered here, so is wolfram research (https://www.wolframalpha.com/) and yahoo is involved here as well. I like it a lot and I couldn't see myself anywhere else!

Reactions: 1 user
congrats to everyone who got in! could an OOS applicant who got in share their stats? I got waitlisted and I want to know what I'm up against.....

Sure... Hope this helps, let me know if I'm missing something.

I graduated with a BS in pre-veterinary science in 2010 with a 3.5 GPA and a minor in wildlife and fisheries conservation
for the GRE my best scores were a 157 verbal and 154 quant
I became a certified vet tech in 2011
worked as an anesthesia tech for the passed 4 years
volunteered at a zoo for 2 years
volunteer at spay and neuter clinics
my research is limited to ACVS paper submission where I am helping a resident where I work

I guess I would say those are my main stats

I'm a 30 yo, non-traditional student. I started my studies back in 2001 but had to leave school for a while. I resumed my studies and finished my prerequisites starting in 2011. I was originally a biology major with a concentration in pre-veterinary medicine but switched to pre-medicine after some pressure from friends and family. I ended up leaving school because my heart just didn't feel like it was in the right place so I took some time off to explore and discover myself. After realizing that I was supposed to be a veterinarian all along and that I shouldn't have listened to the naysayers, I resumed my studies.
-Degree: B.S. in Biology - graduated in 2013. My GPA for my last 45 credits was 3.93. When I resumed my studies, I earned mostly A's and two A minuses.
-Science GPA (according to UofI): 3.4
-Cumulative GPA: 3.52
-GRE: 1st time - V-157; Q-154; W-3.5 (timed math kills me haha), 2nd time - V-157; Q-156 or 157; W - 2.5. UofI accepted my first score.
-Vet/Animal Experience:
small animal veterinary-related: 2500+ hours (working as a veterinary technician)
shelter animal veterinary-related: 100+ hours (I have way more shelter medicine experience at this time, probably about 1000+ hours now, but at the time of application I only had 100+ hours)
shelter animal-related: 400+ hours (socializing dogs and cats, dog training, dog/cat husbandry)
large animal veterinary-related: 50+ hours (I spent two weeks shadowing an equine/food animal vet in upstate NY)
laboratory animal veterinary-related: 150+ hours (I spent a summer shadowing a laboratory animal vet and got to work with monkeys, mice, rats, and voles)
- other: human hospital volunteer work (when I was a pre-med), I did other stuff as well, but that doesn't really matter.

Last edited:
I am deciding between here and Minnesota. I really liked the st. paul/min area. I guess I am just wondering about the local restaurants, bars, and the surrounding towns. How are you liking living there?
When I was there for my interview, I stayed with a couple friends and we went out to a couple bars Saturday night. I had a really good time! And drinks were very reasonably priced (though I'm from just outside DC where drinks are absurdly expensive). We also had a delicious brunch at a restaurant the next day. So from my very limited experience, it was fun!

When I was there for my interview, I stayed with a couple friends and we went out to a couple bars Saturday night. I had a really good time! And drinks were very reasonably priced (though I'm from just outside DC where drinks are absurdly expensive). We also had a delicious brunch at a restaurant the next day. So from my very limited experience, it was fun!

My friends traveled with me to Illinois and we're all from the NYC/northern NJ area. We went barhopping as well and we were surprised by all the cheap drink specials haha the town had a relaxed, friendly atmosphere and I'm really looking forward to seeing what it's like when it's warmer out (supposedly, the weekend of our interview the temps were below 0).

My friends traveled with me to Illinois and we're all from the NYC/northern NJ area. We went barhopping as well and we were surprised by all the cheap drink specials haha the town had a relaxed, friendly atmosphere and I'm really looking forward to seeing what it's like when it's warmer out (supposedly, the weekend of our interview the temps were below 0).

I'm not from the Champaign area, but I have lived in southern IL my whole life. I LOVE it here. I know that some people may say the Midwest is boring, but I find a lot of people here will give you the shirt off their back to help. I definitely like the low cost of living and weather (4 seasons yes please!). The winter can sometimes be cold but the spring and falls are wonderful. The summer can be hot and humid. It is just a down to earth and safe atmosphere from my experience and from what current students have told me.

IS alternate. Man, I don't want to go through this process again. I wish they would let us know where we are on the list. More waiting :(

IS alternate. Man, I don't want to go through this process again. I wish they would let us know where we are on the list. More waiting :(
Patience - there is always a possibility of getting called.

Members don't see this ad :)
There's a fairly good chance I will be declining my OOS spot, I hope one of you will get it!

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone have any advice on apartments and how to get roommates for out of staters?

Does anyone have any advice on apartments and how to get roommates for out of staters?

The ASA office sets up an official fb page for your class and during the summer, a lot of people find roommates that way. People will post pics of a house or say that they found an apartment they like but need some roomies.

I actually drove here the day after I graduated and apartment hunted for 3 days from apartments/houses that I scoped out on the internet, including craigslist!

Quick question, anyone know if they will start calling on May 1st or sooner than that? This is my top choice right now out of my 4 waitlists.

Quick question, anyone know if they will start calling on May 1st or sooner than that? This is my top choice right now out of my 4 waitlists.

The year I applied they started making calls even before April 15th.

Just sent in my $500!!!:chicken:

Reactions: 5 users
Ok, cool thank you. Hopefully that happens this year too because I'm impatient again.
I was waitlisted, and I got called like mid March. I think last year it was about the same too. Good Luck!

And Congrats Kyoht on coming to Illinois!!

I was waitlisted, and I got called like mid March. I think last year it was about the same too. Good Luck!
Oh thank God! If I have a chance on the waitlist I don't want to wait till after April 15th to start hearing. That's when you have to put your deposit if you got accepted elsewhere and would much rather not lose money. I looked at threads for waitlist survivors from other years but didn't really see much, I'll probably look again. Thank you for that information!

Waiting for my tax return to send in my $500!

And to all those who were wait listed, I'm rooting for you!

Just sent in my 500!!! So excited !!

I sent in my $500 last week! I'm so excited! I absolutely loved Illinois!

just in case anyone is looking for potential roommates right now, I am looking :) I will be moving to Illinois with two cats :)

Still waiting on other schools, but I've decided on Illinois whatever happens!

What address did you guys use to send in the deposit? Same as the transcript address?

Still waiting on other schools, but I've decided on Illinois whatever happens!

What address did you guys use to send in the deposit? Same as the transcript address?
Yup!

Ok, I can officially say, giving up my OOS seat. I hope someone on here gets it!

Ok, I can officially say, giving up my OOS seat. I hope someone on here gets it!
Is it too weird if I tell you I love you for this? Lol, but seriously thank you. I hope your final decision school treats you well!

Is it too weird if I tell you I love you for this? Lol, but seriously thank you. I hope your final decision school treats you well!
Haha nope not weird, totally understand! :) good luck!!!

Yay that is super exciting!! Are you instate or OOS?

OOS! I don't think there are that many of us yet. What about you?

Also, in case anyone was wondering, I talked to the financial aid office and they said they are aiming to get award letters out early-mid April. So, maybe not before the deadline.

My status page now reads: Admission offer accepted! :biglove:It's getting so real - I need to start looking for places to live!

Does anyone know when they usually start up the class facebook page? I'm excited to meet everyone! :)

Does anyone know when they usually start up the class facebook page? I'm excited to meet everyone! :)
In the summer after they finalize the class composite, probably sometime in June is when ours went up.

And I'd start apartment hunting asap if you can. The housing market can get somewhat competitive.

We should just start our own FB group so we can do the housing stuff more easily haha

I'm definitely interested in a house with a few other girls! However, I am a bit of a neat freak and want roomies that truthfully feel the same way so there aren't disagreements down the line;):p

Last edited:
OOS! I don't think there are that many of us yet. What about you?

Also, in case anyone was wondering, I talked to the financial aid office and they said they are aiming to get award letters out early-mid April. So, maybe not before the deadline.
From ohio!! Haha so out of state as well :)

There is a Facebook group set up for your class. You can find it here: https://www.facebook.com/UIUCveterinary2018
And you have plenty of time to find housing, don't stress about that.

From my experience, trying to apartment hunt from being OOS, it was difficult to find a quality place to live that checked all of our boxes. And some of my friends wanted to live where I am currently living but there weren't any open apartments so they had to find somewhere else.

I tried to get all my ducks in a row as soon as possible and it worked out for me! We apartment hunted in May for 3 days, then corresponded w/places throughout the summer and then sent in our deposit in June/July, drove ~12 hrs w/2 cars (and one towing a U-haul) and moved into our place in early August on a Saturday. The management was awesome about everything and we just renewed our lease for another year! And now my friends are moving into my complex!! :)

Not trying to scare the incoming class, but please be aware so you're not living somewhere miserable!

From my experience, trying to apartment hunt from being OOS, it was difficult to find a quality place to live that checked all of our boxes. And some of my friends wanted to live where I am currently living but there weren't any open apartments so they had to find somewhere else.

I tried to get all my ducks in a row as soon as possible and it worked out for me! We apartment hunted in May for 3 days, then corresponded w/places throughout the summer and then sent in our deposit in June/July, drove ~12 hrs w/2 cars (and one towing a U-haul) and moved into our place in early August on a Saturday. The management was awesome about everything and we just renewed our lease for another year! And now my friends are moving into my complex!! :)

Not trying to scare the incoming class, but please be aware so you're not living somewhere miserable!

Do you have any recommendations? I've started looking online and have seen places that are furnished, but I have my own furniture and would prefer unfurnished.

Do you have any recommendations? I've started looking online and have seen places that are furnished, but I have my own furniture and would prefer unfurnished.
I messaged you!