University of Illinois c/o 2019 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those of you who already have an interview time - when did you send in your reply for acceptance of the invite? I sent my response in at 2:30pm yesterday, but my portal has not been updated yet. Just want to make sure they got my email!

Members don't see this ad.

My interview is at 8 so I'll be there at 7:30 am or earlier. :/

For those of you who already have an interview time - when did you send in your reply for acceptance of the invite? I sent my response in at 2:30pm yesterday, but my portal has not been updated yet. Just want to make sure they got my email!

I sent it in around 1pm.

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay I'll wait a little longer before worrying then, thanks! :)

I might sound stupid but - Where do you see the timing of your interview? My email and portal just gives a date... Am I missing something...

I might sound stupid but - Where do you see the timing of your interview? My email and portal just gives a date... Am I missing something...
They update it with the time when you accept it.

Reactions: 1 user
Do they email you with a confirm time? I'm trying to book a flight...

Just booked my hotel so excited!
My interview is at 11:00!

My interview is scheduled for 10:00. I'm looking forward to it!

My interview is at 10:30 =) Sounds like a good time as any to me!

Do any current students have some tips for the interview?

Also does anyone know much about their wildlife program, just curious!

Members don't see this ad :)
The interview is going to make for a very interesting birthday! (24, wooo)

Reactions: 2 users
I replied within a half hour of the email being sent and I got 10:30-11. I'm not sure when my portal was updated since I haven't checked it in over 24 hours. Ugh time to get the travel stuff in order! I hate booking flights

Also, for those still needing to book a hotel room, I emailed admissions and asked if they could extend the validity codes for the special rates seeing as how we got our invites on the last day the codes were valid. I only tried to book at The I, so it's possible the other codes work still. I'll let you guys know what I'm told

I replied within a half hour of the email being sent and I got 10:30-11. I'm not sure when my portal was updated since I haven't checked it in over 24 hours. Ugh time to get the travel stuff in order! I hate booking flights

So you replied around 10am and got the 10:30 one, but I replied around 2pm and got the 8am (first set of slots O.O') one. I think they already had us scheduled before we replied and would have just replaced our spots with someone else if we were to decline. Now I must go put on my tinfoil hat and ponder why in the world they put me in that first slot.

So you replied around 10am and got the 10:30 one, but I replied around 2pm and got the 8am (first set of slots O.O') one. I think they already had us scheduled before we replied and would have just replaced our spots with someone else if we were to decline. Now I must go put on my tinfoil hat and ponder why in the world they put me in that first slot.
Hey, I just did Michigan's at 8:45AM and I don't regret it at all. I'm the type who wants to just get it done with. I did have to sleep immediately after though haha.

I'd love to meet up for dinner with everyone else but based on my tentative travel plans, I'll have a 2PMish flight on the 9th so I can make it to work the next day (for some reason, all flights but one have 3-6 hour layovers in O'Hare....)

Hey, I just did Michigan's at 8:45AM and I don't regret it at all. I'm the type who wants to just get it done with. I did have to sleep immediately after though haha.

I'd love to meet up for dinner with everyone else but based on my tentative travel plans, I'll have a 2PMish flight on the 9th so I can make it to work the next day (for some reason, all flights but one have 3-6 hour layovers in O'Hare....)

Oh I'm not complaining about having an early interview. I was in the last group to interview at MSU and hated having to do all the info sessions while my mind was only thinking about what was coming. I would have enjoyed the day so much more if I could have gotten it out of the way in the morning and THEN went on to do the tour and stuff. However, I'm the type of person that overthinks everything and there's a little voice in my head asking why the heck they put me first. :confused:

Oh I'm not complaining about having an early interview. I was in the last group to interview at MSU and hated having to do all the info sessions while my mind was only thinking about what was coming. I would have enjoyed the day so much more if I could have gotten it out of the way in the morning and THEN went on to do the tour and stuff. However, I'm the type of person that overthinks everything and there's a little voice in my head asking why the heck they put me first. :confused:

I wouldn't sweat it! You were just the lucky one I guess! I figure multiple people have that time since we are all going to be interviewing on the same day. If it makes you feel better!

THEY'RE VERY EXCITED TO SEE YOU!! They couldn't wait any longer!

I may just take you up on that offer since I'm from the East Coast and I wouldn't be able to drive while there. I could totally pay you for your trouble too!
Just let me know! You can always inbox me

Do any current students have some tips for the interview?

Also does anyone know much about their wildlife program, just curious!

Just try to relax which I know is incredibly hard but it makes it easier on you. I joked around with them a little bit and answered their questions as honestly as I could. As far as the wildlife program, it's awesome! Illinois has one of the best around and all the exotics professors are great. Dr. Whittington runs the wildlife clinic but you probably won't see her all that often because she has a million and one other things going on and does all of her checking in in the mornings. You can volunteer in the clinic your very first semester and that'll give you practical experience dealing with drug calculations, giving meds, surgery sometimes, basic wildlife handling, etc. Your team is completely in charge of the animal's case and make all the decisions for it, though of course with big things like surgery you have to go through Dr. Whittington first. U of I also has a bunch of exotics electives you can take. This semester I'm going to be taking comparative anatomy and reptile medicine/surgery. As someone who wants to work in wildlife, I'm very happy with U of I.

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone have any information on Illinois' dairy/beef cattle and/or small ruminant focuses? I'm most interested in ruminant medicine and I'd like to sound knowledgeable about their program when I go there! I haven't found much on their website though

Just try to relax which I know is incredibly hard but it makes it easier on you. I joked around with them a little bit and answered their questions as honestly as I could. As far as the wildlife program, it's awesome! Illinois has one of the best around and all the exotics professors are great. Dr. Whittington runs the wildlife clinic but you probably won't see her all that often because she has a million and one other things going on and does all of her checking in in the mornings. You can volunteer in the clinic your very first semester and that'll give you practical experience dealing with drug calculations, giving meds, surgery sometimes, basic wildlife handling, etc. Your team is completely in charge of the animal's case and make all the decisions for it, though of course with big things like surgery you have to go through Dr. Whittington first. U of I also has a bunch of exotics electives you can take. This semester I'm going to be taking comparative anatomy and reptile medicine/surgery. As someone who wants to work in wildlife, I'm very happy with U of I.

Ahhhh thank you so much that is exactly what I was hoping to hear! My other two top schools (LMU and Iowa) that i have interviewed at are good but I don't think they have the same opportunities in wildlife medicine. At least not right off the bat as illinois deems to have!

Does anyone have any information on Illinois' dairy/beef cattle and/or small ruminant focuses? I'm most interested in ruminant medicine and I'd like to sound knowledgeable about their program when I go there! I haven't found much on their website though

U of I operates a Dairy and a Beef herd and vet students get hands on experience at both of these facilities, mostly in 3rd/4th year but also some in your 1st/2nd year rotations. We don't have any small ruminant herds though. To supplement this U of I works closely with a local goat dairy to allow students hands on experience, and a sheep farmer brings flocks in to allow students to gain experience.

I sent my confirmation email back to them at 8pm on the day of receiving the email, and my portal has yet to be updated (Saturday, 6pm) Anyone else have this issue?

Or perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place?
QLxZGrd.png

I sent my confirmation email back to them at 8pm on the day of receiving the email, and my portal has yet to be updated (Saturday, 6pm) Anyone else have this issue?

QLxZGrd.png
No that's the right place. Perhaps e-mail them again, or call on Monday.

QLxZGrd.png
I have the same issue. I figured it would come on Monday.

I got an invite too!!

Question for you all,

I'm flying in to my home town in the 8th from another interview, but I don't get in until late that evening, so I;ll have to drive that night. Its not that big of a deal, except I'm worried that if flights are delayed/Cancelled due to weather, that I may not make it to Illinois.... if that happens does anyone know if they have any sort of "make up" day, or anything like that?

Thanks

I am going to give up my interview since I just got the news that I was admitted into Davis (I currently live in California, 1.5 hr away from Davis). A lot of happiness and a little bit sad since UIUC is where I obtained my B.S. degree and I love the school.
Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 3 users
U of I operates a Dairy and a Beef herd and vet students get hands on experience at both of these facilities, mostly in 3rd/4th year but also some in your 1st/2nd year rotations. We don't have any small ruminant herds though. To supplement this U of I works closely with a local goat dairy to allow students hands on experience, and a sheep farmer brings flocks in to allow students to gain experience.

Local goat dairy! That makes my heart smile. :love: Do you by chance know the name of the dairy?

Thanks for the insight!

I got an invite too!!

Question for you all,

I'm flying in to my home town in the 8th from another interview, but I don't get in until late that evening, so I;ll have to drive that night. Its not that big of a deal, except I'm worried that if flights are delayed/Cancelled due to weather, that I may not make it to Illinois.... if that happens does anyone know if they have any sort of "make up" day, or anything like that?

Thanks

Illinois to my knowledge does not offer any make up interviews.

Local goat dairy! That makes my heart smile. :love: Do you by chance know the name of the dairy?

Thanks for the insight!

Prairie Fruits farm and creamery is the name of a goat dairy that has students from the vet school volunteer there.

Just booked my flight! Can't wait to be there!

There's also the goats that are being loaned to us for the breeding program!

QLxZGrd.png
Ok, so you definitely should call them today because I had that same issue last time and apparently my 3 emails never reached them at all. They had to work me into the schedule and thankfully I got a spot to interview. Always best to just call and verify that they received your email.

How many previously interviewed students made or emailed thank you cards for their Interviewers after the Illinois interview?

I know that it's good etiquette with formal job interviews, but interviews for professional schools are a little different in scope. I don't want to send the wrong message if I'm the only one who sends something when we aren't expected or supposed to do that.

Hey, if anyone wants to stay in the spare bedroom I have, just message me. I know how expensive interviews can get.

How many previously interviewed students made or emailed thank you cards for their Interviewers after the Illinois interview?

I know that it's good etiquette with formal job interviews, but interviews for professional schools are a little different in scope. I don't want to send the wrong message if I'm the only one who sends something when we aren't expected or supposed to do that.

I didn't send anything. After I interviewed I asked a couple doctors who had graduated recently from U of I if they did and they said no.

Just curious do most of the vet students live in apartments near the school or rents houses? I kind of am assuming they are but I just want to hear from some current students!

I would suggest not doing it. The schools will see right through it tbh. If anything, I'm likely going to send my IS a compliment on how well the interviews went since this is the first year they did MMI. Applicants were freaking out about it, but they made everything easy on us.

I didn't send anything. After I interviewed I asked a couple doctors who had graduated recently from U of I if they did and they said no.

Thanks! I assumed as much but I've read that people den other schools had done so in the past, so I wanted to be sure.

For those who would like to meet up with morning interviews--would anyone like to meet for lunch? I know we've got a dinner group going, but since I've got an early interview I'm probably driving back to my school earlier than I originally anticipated.

For my interview at Western, the interviewers gave me their cards but I did not send thank you's and I still got in. Students there did not recommend sending thank you's, as others have mentioned - they know it's just sucking up to them essentially.

Personally, I sent thank yous after I found out one way or another...that way it doesn't feel like sucking up and I genuinely feel like the interviewers may be interested to find out whether or not this person they interviewed was accepted. It just feels polite to me...especially if the interviewer was an alumni who was volunteering their time.

I actually really like that idea. I think I'll do that a few days after decisions go out.

What address did you guys send your fall transcripts to?

What address did you guys send your fall transcripts to?

On the link I shared earlier, the admissions checklist or whatever, there is an address at the bottom. I sent mine there

I just gave up my interview spot to attend my IS school....hopefully that opens it up to one of you still waiting. Good luck!