University of Illinois c/o 2019 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Current students or townies, what's some good places to eat?
Courier Cafe (american cafe)
J Gumbo's (gumbo)
Black Dog (BBQ)
Rainbow Garden (Chinese)
Golden Harbor (Chinese)
B Won (Korean)
Seven Saints (pubfood/sliders)
Merry Ann's (diner at the corner of florida and neil)
el toro (Mexican on s. neil)
layalina Mediterranean grill (Mediterranean)

Members don't see this ad.

Orange and brew is pretty good! I really like eating there. Black dog is amazing but hard to get into sometimes. Flattop is a build your own bowl and they cook it kind of place that's fun too. Greenstreet has a lot of places. Plus you can always hit up one of the bars such as legends or Murphy's for a great burger.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh no! I didn't realize it was closed ( I have not been in a while). That sucks.

Gotcha, I'm looking for places to have a bite after the interview next week.
Kofusion has really good sushi but it can get rather expensive really fast. It cost my fiance and I $140 just for the 2 of us. Granted, we eat a lot and had alcohol too.

This is a little more specific question, but are there any country bars that are big on two-stepping/country swing?

It's one of my favorite past times, and I'd be sad to move somewhere I couldn't enjoy it regularly!

This is a little more specific question, but are there any country bars that are big on two-stepping/country swing?

It's one of my favorite past times, and I'd be sad to move somewhere I couldn't enjoy it regularly!

I did my undergrad at U of I, and there really aren't any bars that are specifically country. However, there's definitely a large country music following at U of I, and most of the bars play a decent amount of country music mixed into their sets. There's also one bar, Kam's, that has Country Night every Tuesday, which is a ton of fun!

I got a new outfit today for my interview! I'm starting to get really nervous, but I'm excited to see the school. :)

Reactions: 1 user
I did my undergrad at U of I, and there really aren't any bars that are specifically country. However, there's definitely a large country music following at U of I, and most of the bars play a decent amount of country music mixed into their sets. There's also one bar, Kam's, that has Country Night every Tuesday, which is a ton of fun!

Okay I'll check them out when I'm up there, thank you so much! In case they're not open when I'm in town, does Kam's or any of the other places you're thinking of have a decent size dance floor? (Big enough for swing moves, ariel tricks, etc.)

I know it probably seems silly that this is such a big deal to me, but I absolutely love dancing with the fiancee!

Okay I'll check them out when I'm up there, thank you so much! In case they're not open when I'm in town, does Kam's or any of the other places you're thinking of have a decent size dance floor? (Big enough for swing moves, ariel tricks, etc.)

I know it probably seems silly that this is such a big deal to me, but I absolutely love dancing with the fiancee!

Both Brothers and Firehaus are good for dancing and usually have a more mature crowd. Red Lion, The Clybourne, and Joe's also have lots of dancing, but they're usually frequented by more of the younger students since you only have to be 19 to enter. (And all of the bars listed above are right on campus on Green Street.) Oh and if you're looking for a really fun and unique experience, C-Street in downtown Champaign is a blast and has a huge dance floor (although just a heads up, it is a LGBT bar.)

Oh and I also had a few friends who were part of a swing dance club during undergrad, so that's definitely something you could look into if you ended up going there. They also have dance classes at the ARC (the rec center on campus) that are free for students!

Bradley's does this but only on Wednesdays.

Members don't see this ad :)
What's the weather been like over there? When I looked online it said that it should be about 35 on Monday with a chance of snow:eek:

Chicago just got a huge blizzard and further south there was snow and ice. It's been chilly and I'm hoping there's no snow. Last I checked we're not supposed to get any snow but the forecast can be unreliable over a week out.

It will probably be chilly! Bundle up :)

Both Brothers and Firehaus are good for dancing and usually have a more mature crowd. Red Lion, The Clybourne, and Joe's also have lots of dancing, but they're usually frequented by more of the younger students since you only have to be 19 to enter. (And all of the bars listed above are right on campus on Green Street.) Oh and if you're looking for a really fun and unique experience, C-Street in downtown Champaign is a blast and has a huge dance floor (although just a heads up, it is a LGBT bar.)

Oh and I also had a few friends who were part of a swing dance club during undergrad, so that's definitely something you could look into if you ended up going there. They also have dance classes at the ARC (the rec center on campus) that are free for students!

Bradley's does this but only on Wednesdays.

Thank you both! This is great information, I truly appreciate it :)

It's supposed to snow more today and Sunday so please make sure you layer well because it's going to be really cold. Hopefully Chicago doesn't get hit anymore so you guys who are flying in that way can actually land. Right now Champaign-Urbana has about 4 inches but the streets are clear. Up by where I live, there's at least 6-8 inches so if you're driving then please be careful.

If you have any control over it, I'd advise you to leave plenty of time between when you get into the state and when you get to Urbana-Champaign. Some of the rural highways can be a royal pain. I'm not sure about the ones between Chamapaign and Chicago, but the ones between where I live and so on ice over and can make things slow.

If you have any control over it, I'd advise you to leave plenty of time between when you get into the state and when you get to Urbana-Champaign. Some of the rural highways can be a royal pain. I'm not sure about the ones between Chamapaign and Chicago, but the ones between where I live and so on ice over and can make things slow.
I'm planning on coming in via I-74, are there many country roads via that route?

I am driving from PA and we are supposed to be getting 3 to 5 inches on sunday....I sure hope we won't be driving right into more of it...

I'm planning on coming in via I-74, are there many country roads via that route?
It depends on what direction you're coming from. You're an Indiana resident, right? I've ventured that direction once. I think it's mostly interstate. If you're coming west like I am yes, there will be country highways (I have to venture up toward Peoria on the backroads before I catch the interstate).

Your best bet is to google map it. Once you're on I-74 I think that should get you into Champaign. The vet school won't be too far from the highway.

Looks like this will be the first time I get the renter's insurance. Every other state I've interviewed at miraculously got warm weather during the days I was there so I have yet to actually drive on snow/ice. Does anyone know if rental cars up there come with snow tires by default?

Looks like this will be the first time I get the renter's insurance. Every other state I've interviewed at miraculously got warm weather during the days I was there so I have yet to actually drive on snow/ice. Does anyone know if rental cars up there come with snow tires by default?
Drive slow and you should be okay!

So I know this was touched on a couple pages ago, but does anyone who's interviewed here previously have any advice as far as how to prepare, what sorts of questions they asked, etc.? I'm going to comb the threads from previous years, but thought I'd ask here as well. :) There's only one interview feedback entry on Illinois from the past four years. :/ It looks like their interviews have been closed file and behavioral, is that still the case? The "what to expect" section on their Interview Day page is a little vague.

So I know this was touched on a couple pages ago, but does anyone who's interviewed here previously have any advice as far as how to prepare, what sorts of questions they asked, etc.? I'm going to comb the threads from previous years, but thought I'd ask here as well. :) There's only one interview feedback entry on Illinois from the past four years. :/ It looks like their interviews have been closed file and behavioral, is that still the case? The "what to expect" section on their Interview Day page is a little vague.

When I asked my friend who interviewed last year she said that they have an honor code that asks applicants not to share questions...I am assuming that is why there is a lack of recent questions. She did say it was pretty much just basic behavioral questions that other schools utilize!

Hi Guys! I decided after months of lurking on here to just make an SDN account. I also have an interview for U of I, and was wondering if anyone wanted to go get dinner the night before the interview? :) Also, I'm flying in from Davis, and I'm actually really bad at driving and trying to navigate my way around. So I'd prefer to not drive in from Chicago to Champagne-Urbana. Do any current students have any suggestions on how to get to and from without driving? Perhaps a shuttle of some sort that is reliable? Thank you in advance! :)

Hi Guys! I decided after months of lurking on here to just make an SDN account. I also have an interview for U of I, and was wondering if anyone wanted to go get dinner the night before the interview? :) Also, I'm flying in from Davis, and I'm actually really bad at driving and trying to navigate my way around. So I'd prefer to not drive in from Chicago to Champagne-Urbana. Do any current students have any suggestions on how to get to and from without driving? Perhaps a shuttle of some sort that is reliable? Thank you in advance! :)
I'm getting there the night before so I'd love to have dinner and meet potential classmates. I know a few people talked about having a little gathering a few pages back but I'm not sure if anything was finalized and we're getting pretty close to the date so we should make plans. Also, I'm offering anyone a ride whether it's to/from Chicago or around Champagne. I just turned 25 and know how expensive it is to rent a car when you're younger than that. If anyone is interested, just shoot me a PM. It'd be fun to have a few people keep me company during the 3+ hour drive.

I was thinking of dinner in the afternoon/evening before everyone jets out of town. I'm not sure when everyone is leaving though

Well this is the best way to figure out what time/day works for everyone. Please vote: http://doodle.com/suvn6edsxb8se2gp

I'm down to hang out literally any time after 3pm on Sunday and after 9am the day of our interview. I can't wait to meet everyone! :)

Reactions: 1 users
Well this is the best way to figure out what time/day works for everyone. Please vote: http://doodle.com/suvn6edsxb8se2gp

I'm down to hang out literally any time after 3pm on Sunday and after 9am the day of our interview. I can't wait to meet everyone! :)
Good idea! Im using my sdn name because I'm a scaredy pants about IRL names online

I get into Champaign around 3pm on Sunday, and I don't leave until Tuesday morning. So I'm down for drinks/dinner Sunday and/or Monday nights. :)

I believe there's also an Amtrak that runs to/from Chicago for a pretty decent price (Last I looked was $15)

My interview is at 4PM (boo, so late) and I live in Chicago, so I was thinking about driving down to the school the morning of and driving back after my interview. I do plan on being there at about 10:30-11AM, though, so I'd love to meet some of you between then and 4! :)

I'm getting there the night before so I'd love to have dinner and meet potential classmates. I know a few people talked about having a little gathering a few pages back but I'm not sure if anything was finalized and we're getting pretty close to the date so we should make plans. Also, I'm offering anyone a ride whether it's to/from Chicago or around Champagne. I just turned 25 and know how expensive it is to rent a car when you're younger than that. If anyone is interested, just shoot me a PM. It'd be fun to have a few people keep me company during the 3+ hour drive.

I don't know how to private message just yet, but I'd love to take you up on your offer! My flight gets in Sunday at 2:30 pm if that in any way works for you.

I believe there's also an Amtrak that runs to/from Chicago for a pretty decent price (Last I looked was $15)

And thank you! I will definitely look into this :)

Unfortunately I have to take off right after the interview day events end, but I"ll be around for Sunday and would love to meet up! So, behavioral questions? I'll have to think of the type of things they asked at my other behavioral interview...

For the person that mentioned it, the Amtrak is the only thing I can think of. The line serves students plenty. I'd be wary about it though. Amtrak has a notorious reputation for being late. They don't really own track, they just use the freight line's track. So, if you get up to a freight line you have to wait for them to do their thing because they have the right of way. I've never taken the specific line (I think they call it the Illini express or something) that goes there, but other ones I've taken are always a few hours late. It just depends on freight traffic on the particular route.

If you do Amtrak, look at how you can get to Union station. I'd really recommend Amtrak if you don't drive with anyone. It's usually decently affordable for the quality you get--nice and comfortable as long as you aren't going anywhere in a hurry and can tolerate delays. Just keep in mind that whatever you take (there might be buses too) that Chicago and Urbaba-Champaign are a 2-3 hours away from each other. You might know that, but shuttle has weird connotations to me so I'm just safeguarding and saying be prepared to spend some additional travel time.

What if we got two groups together? One Sunday night and one Monday night? I'd be cool setting up Monday night @Felixor90

Honestly I can go to both. I'll be there the entire day on Sunday so I have time to kill and I hate being alone in a hotel room. I'd rather meet people and socialize.

I don't know how to private message just yet, but I'd love to take you up on your offer! My flight gets in Sunday at 2:30 pm if that in any way works for you.
My flight gets there at noon, but I expect it to be delayed. I'll PM you my contact info so we can stay in touch that day.

Honestly I can go to both. I'll be there the entire day on Sunday so I have time to kill and I hate being alone in a hotel room. I'd rather meet people and socialize.
Man, this makes me really want to be in Urbana on Sunday. I'm leaving home Sunday, but have decided to stay with my sister who lives about an hour east rather than sporting for a hotel room. I just wanna avoid travel delays because backroads suck...

You guys have fun though. I've got all my work covered but I've got an evening class that I don't think I should miss so I'm *probably* leaving shortly after the info session and tour. I've got Tuesday off too because the labs I teach were cancelled...

You know, I'll probably be more nervous next week, but considering that my Monday's are usually 13-15 hour monstrosities of teaching and class, it feels oddly vacation-like. Add in good food (I live in the middle of nowhere, somewhere more developed like Champaign has many more options) and I'm pretty happy.

@vahlerydavet Depending on where you're planning to stay/get to once you arrive in CU can affect which method of transportation you use. As many have mentioned, there is the Amtrak train, which is relatively cheap, but drops you off a bit off campus (Illinois Terminal on University). Other options include:
-Greyhound buses (Picks up very close to Union Station in Chicago, but also drops you off at Illinois Terminal)
-Suburban Express buses (Actually has services from O'Hare directly to CU, and even drops you off in the middle of campus)

I'd love to meet up before/after the interview but unfortunately I'll be working all day around my interview time (coincidentally AT the VetMed building where all the interviews are being held) So if you see a man on the third floor wearing his suit and tie under his lab coat, don't be afraid to say hi! :joyful:

If you guys have anymore questions about what to do/where to eat/where to drink in CU, feel free to ask! I feel my 3.5 years here as an undergrad have exposed me to the majority of what this campus has to offer.

I live about ten miles from U of I so I may join you guys this weekend when you meet up! Good luck to everyone!

There are also flights directly from O'Hare into Willard Airport. They can be a bit pricey though.

I'm getting nervous.....:confused:

You're not alone in that! :scared: I don't like behavioral interviews :(
All I've had so far is one MMI. I'm kind of ready for a behavioral one since that is usually the type of interview you do for any job. If I'm not mistaken, they give you a situation and have you talk about it. Which, looking at it that way, is very similar to an MMI.

All I've had so far is one MMI. I'm kind of ready for a behavioral one since that is usually the type of interview you do for any job. If I'm not mistaken, they give you a situation and have you talk about it. Which, looking at it that way, is very similar to an MMI.
They're sorta similar to MMI's but not like MSU's. I loved the MMI format and felt very comfortable interacting with one stranger who I knew nothing about. It felt very conversational and since I didn't know whether they were a vet or not, it was easy for me to just talk comfortably as if it was just someone I had just met. Fast forward a month to Kansas's interview where I immediately froze once the 3 very awesome veterinarians introduced themselves and I realized I was being interviewed by very respectable leaders in the field. It's definitely more intimidating than the MMI format (at least for me). I'm not saying this to scare you, but I'm just saying you should prepare yourself for what I thought was a whole other game.

They're sorta similar to MMI's but not like MSU's. I loved the MMI format and felt very comfortable interacting with one stranger who I knew nothing about. It felt very conversational and since I didn't know whether they were a vet or not, it was easy for me to just talk comfortably as if it was just someone I had just met. Fast forward a month to Kansas's interview where I immediately froze once the 3 very awesome veterinarians introduced themselves and I realized I was being interviewed by very respectable leaders in the field. It's definitely more intimidating than the MMI format (at least for me). I'm not saying this to scare you, but I'm just saying you should prepare yourself for what I thought was a whole other game.
I know the whole introducing thing varies from school to school. Some schools still only do first names (so I've heard), and I think that's to protect the interviewers from being contacted. I mean the whole 3-to-1 thing is definitely what is most intimidating to me. I'll have to remember to make eye contact with all three of them periodically instead of staring just one of them down.

I know the whole introducing thing varies from school to school. Some schools still only do first names (so I've heard), and I think that's to protect the interviewers from being contacted. I mean the whole 3-to-1 thing is definitely what is most intimidating to me. I'll have to remember to make eye contact with all three of them periodically instead of staring just one of them down.
At my last 2 interviews they have introduced themselves completely, with job titles and everything. The eye contact part is easy for me. What I can't handle is the "Hi I'm Dr. Superamazingvet. I'm the head vet at XYZoo and also cure canine lymphoma as a hobby. Oh and I have 3 specialties in things you can't even pronounce. Now tell me about yourself."

giphy.gif

Reactions: 6 users