University of Illinois c/o 2019 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm actually also curious how they determine the rigor of the undergrad experience. Do they look at school ranking?
Based on how other schools evaluate rigor, I would guess more along the lines of what classes you took, how many hours per semester, maybe if you took certain classes at a community college vs. a 4-year institution. It's debatable how relevant college rankings are, so I would seriously question any vet school that relies on them as a measure of academic rigor, although of course getting excellent grades at an Ivy League school can only help. Public state schools tend to be lower-ranked and less selective, but the majority of vet schools are at state schools, so it would be odd if they looked down on their own institution. :p

Members don't see this ad.

hey does any one know how much Illinois weighs the GRE??
The GRE is just one benchmark Illinois uses to evaluate an applicant to see if they pass phase 1. It's just a numbers game, if your GRE is on par with those in the application pool, and your GPA is also, then you may make it past phase 1.

I'm actually also curious how they determine the rigor of the undergrad experience. Do they look at school ranking?
From my experience Illinois evaluates based on curriculum rigor. They value high performance in upper level science classes

I was in like the 55% for verbal and 75% in quantitative and I still got in. I did, however, have a 3.6 overall and a 3.8 science so it may have evened it out. Just wanted to give you guys an idea I guess.

Members don't see this ad :)
If it makes you guys feel any better, I passed the academic phase and I'm not THAT impressive by any means (but not below average, either). Lower science GPA than what I'd like too. It was low experience that did me in last year.

Thanks guys this has been really helpful! My coworker did get an interview this past year and her cum was like a 3.0...although I am not sure what her science and last 45 was. I know she also probably tests a lot better than I do. My GRE was terrible and that was after like months of studying...I'm just a bad test taker. I hope they at least give me a shot at an interview but I'm afraid I'm not that impressive of a candidate, although I do have a lot of experience.

Thanks guys this has been really helpful! My coworker did get an interview this past year and her cum was like a 3.0...although I am not sure what her science and last 45 was. I know she also probably tests a lot better than I do. My GRE was terrible and that was after like months of studying...I'm just a bad test taker. I hope they at least give me a shot at an interview but I'm afraid I'm not that impressive of a candidate, although I do have a lot of experience.

As someone that's applying with a 3.2, this makes me feel a bit better. :D

Yeah I'm applying with a cum of a 3.0 and i think my science is around a 3.2 depending on the school so I feel your pain. I am just hoping to get in somewhere this year though Illinois is one of my top choices.

Am I the only one that still hasn't started on the supplemental essay? To be fair, I've been working on finishing up my VMCAS and the Florida supplemental, since they're due earlier. But also I'm just really good at procrastinating. :p

Yeeeeeah, I haven't even touched the supplemental

Reactions: 1 user
Me either...literally have this one and Tufts to do, but I can't find the energy to do the essays.

Why is it so difficult for me to start this supplemental essay?? :hungover:

bbeventer said before "They are just trying to evaluate your in depth understanding of the profession and how it applies outside of the small animal clinical sphere. Write what you think, add some opinion, and include facts." That was helpful advice in my opinon!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
That was the way I was going. I figured it wants us to discuss more of the role they play in research than anything else.

Thanks for the help (;

I still think this topic is somewhat hard to write about, and I've got the gift of gab for sure (on paper and in conversation :D).

So this was my very last supplemental and I just couldn't get myself to write it due to overthinking it. I finally sat down and just wrote my opinion. It was about half a page so I kept it short and sweet. I'm finally done with all supplementals! :soexcited:

Reactions: 1 users
Okay guys, I think I'm blind...

I'm trying to input my GRE scores on Illinois' supplemental, but their format is strange to me. I'm not sure where to find this registration number? Its not in the initial e-mail about my scores, its not on the "view scores" page....any advice? I'm still looking, but if you guys know where it is that would be helpful :)

***Edit:

I see now in the instructions that it says they're on the printed test scores....what if its a test from last year and you don't have the printed test scores? Omit it?

Go to your ETS account and look under "view my scores" and the registration number will be there.

im467l.png

I finished the essay here, but for some reason I am afraid to just hit submit :oops:

Do it! Then go forget about applications until they call/email for interviews. :)

Ahh it is done! I feel so relieved, but is it December yet? I want to know where I stand lol!

It'll go by in a flash. It feels like June was just yesterday :)

That is so true, I think because we did the VMCAS so early it seems like this has been forever!
Oh well at least I got two jobs to keep me occupied...and I just bought the Sims 4 ;)

I'm still finishing up my VMCAS (I know bad me!), should be done by midweek! I was taking full time summer courses up until a couple weeks ago and an almost full time job at a vets! Where did this summer go!?

Can anyone share how long it took for their GRE scores to be matched? It says a delay of a four weeks is normal, but I'm approaching the four week mark and starting to get worried. Also, when I click the "check status" button, nothing on my screen changes (it doesn't say that they haven't been matched or that they have). Is this normal?

Can anyone share how long it took for their GRE scores to be matched? It says a delay of a four weeks is normal, but I'm approaching the four week mark and starting to get worried. Also, when I click the "check status" button, nothing on my screen changes (it doesn't say that they haven't been matched or that they have). Is this normal?
I don't remember the exact amount of time it took for mine to be received by the school, but it wasn't that long. But maybe since its later in the process right now there are more documents for them to go over so its slower. If you are really worried what if you call them to ask, just to verify. It'll put your mind at ease and they are usually really nice about taking our questions!

I think you should contact Illinois or ETS. I requested them to send my score to Illinois 6 days ago and Illinois received it yesterday.

Probably anybody you know from a professional or academic environment rather than a personal environment.
Okay that's what I was hoping. I'm rereading requirements and I read that and automatically thought: "Why would they want a letter from someone impartial to me?"

Anyone who's not your family/friend. So another vet, work supervisor, someone who can give an unbiased reference.
ok! my stress brain took impartial to mean no opinion haha.

Is it okay to submit before they match up you GRE scores on the supplemental?

Haha awesome cause i paid for it, but I never thought to go look....I guess that would have been the smart thing to do lol

Did any of you guys fill out the Graduate/Special courses section?

I want to list some of my research credits but I'm a little confused by the format. It asks for the course number, name, blah blah blah but then it asks for the term. Okay easy, Fall 2013....but then they ask for the number of terms so...3? Do I then list Fall 2013, Spring 2014 and Summer 2014 in the terms area or do I turn this in to 3 separate courses or do I just list the first term I took and say I took it for 3 terms?

Very confused!

Thanks all :)

Any reapplicants remember when they opened up the status portal last year?

Go to your ETS account and look under "view my scores" and the registration number will be there.

im467l.png

Hey so I am trying to input my GRE scores and I found the registration number for the most recent date I took it but not for the first time I took it. I took the GRE twice. Any idea on where I can find the registration number for my original attempt??

Nov 7th last year pinkpuppy. When I checked on the thread it was you who asked the same question last year haha! I just thought it was funny. Good luck to you/us this year!!
Any reapplicants remember when they opened up the status portal last year?

Hey so I am trying to input my GRE scores and I found the registration number for the most recent date I took it but not for the first time I took it. I took the GRE twice. Any idea on where I can find the registration number for my original attempt??

I only took it once so I'm not 100% sure, but I always thought the registration number is linked to the student, not any particular test. When you send the scores, you have the option of sending only one or both of your attempts and the registration number should be the same. Like I said, I'm not sure if that's the case since I only took it once. You should call ETS to make sure.

When I applied, the registration number on the paper copy was different than what was online. You might want to contact ETS about the registration number that is on the paper copy if you do not have one. I e-mailed them that I need the registration number that is on the paper copy and they replied back for some verification: Last name (surname or family name), First name, Address at the time of the test, Current postal mailing address, Date of birth, Confirmation number, and Test date. Then they sent me the numbers. I took the test 3 times and each time, the registration number was different.

Nov 7th last year pinkpuppy. When I checked on the thread it was you who asked the same question last year haha! I just thought it was funny. Good luck to you/us this year!!
hahaha! Thank you for the good wishes and the day!!!

Can someone come to my apartment and slap me or something? Just so I write the freaking supplemental.

Can someone come to my apartment and slap me or something? Just so I write the freaking supplemental.
Can this person swing by my apartment as well? I'm hoping that once I get started on the essay, it will come easily. If it were a topic I knew anything at all about I might be more eager to get started.

I was absolutely dreading it and it really wasn't that bad! Since it's only a page I just made myself write one paragraph a day and I was done in three days. Although I still haven't hit submit.

Remember that it's up to a page. Yours doesn't have to be that long.

Just submitted my supplemental, 25 minutes before the deadline! Nothing like waiting until the last minute. It feels good to finally be done. :) Hopefully my essay is what they're looking for and not just stating the obvious. I don't envy whoever has to read hundreds of those essays.

I agreed! I cannot imagine reading hundreds - thousands of repetitive essays about one disease - maybe bedtime reading? LOL good sleeping material.

I have to call the ETS the day before the due time and found out the registration number for GRE they put on the online record is not the same as the actual test registration number. Then the supplemental page found the match right away.

Now the waiting game becomes...